Start by marking “The Green Fairy Book” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Green Fairy Book

Andrew Lang

The Green Fairy Book (Coloured Fairy Books #3)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,640 ratings  ·  41 reviews
42 tales from around the world, Germany Grimm, France de Caylus, Fenelon, Kletke, D'Aulnoy - The Blue Bird, Sylvain and Jocosa, Prince Narcissus, The Three Little Pigs, the Half-Chick - feature monsters, giants, and more. 100 illustrations.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1892)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Fairy Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Fairy Book

Alice
that is obviously not the right cover
Shoshana
Back to reporting out the notes I took on my e-reader!

Preface:

Re: "This is the third, and probably the last of the Fairy Books of many colours." Ahahaha. Good try, Andrew.

Re: "There are grown up people now who say that the stories are not good for children, because they are not true, because [...] but probably you who read the tales know very well how much is true and how much is only make believe, and I never yet heard of a child who killed a very tall man merely because Jack killed the giant
Mary Catelli
This one was front-loaded with a few literary ones I didn't much like. But it has a number I quite like, including some I had forgotten about. The Golden Blackbird I remembered but not The Little Soldier -- which combines plotlines I've seen from other tales, with a bit more sense than I've sometimes seen them -- with a twist I've seen elsewhere and forgot I saw here. We have a whole bunch of less usual Grimms, such as The White Snake and Spindle, Shuttle, and Needle. Seemed to me to be spread o ...more
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
"Little goat, bleat, Little table, appear,"

and a beautifully spread table will stand before you, with the most delicious food on it, so that you can eat as much as you want. And when you have had enough and don't want the little table any more, you have only to say,

"Little goat, bleat, Little table, away,"

and then it will vanish.' Then the wise woman went away.
but Little Two-eyes thought, 'I must try at once if what she has told me is true, for I am more hungry than ever'; and she said,

'Little g
Artnoose Noose
Oct 23, 2013 Artnoose Noose rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Artnoose by: corey olsen
One of my favorite spots to nurse is a corner in the children's section of the main library in town. There's a chair, and it faces a corner with science books on one wall and fairy stories on the other. I got a long time to look over the titles of the books on these shelves and noticed the color fairy book series. Without opening any of them, I assumed that they were stories about fairies the same color of the book titles. This is not true. It's just that they made the book covers different colo ...more
Trak
There is nothing like a fairy tale and Lang’s Green Fairy Book brings together some wonderful stories.

There is the slightly whimsical heroes, the murderous villains, the romantic leads, the fierce protector, the wizened mentor and a stack of other characters. What counts is that good always triumphs no matter how many times the hero is lied, tricked, killed, maimed they will always be fully restored and find true love.

If only life was so
Elinor  Loredan
I love most of the first several stories. The characters are interesting, plots clever, magic enchanting, humor effective, and endings satisfying:

The Blue Bird
Prince Narcissus
Prince Fickle
Hok Lee and the Dwarfs
Prince Vivien

Others started out holding my interest, but either became muddled or the hero/heroine did something I could not sympathize with (like in the Enchanted Ring, when the hero drowns everyone, or Puddocky, when the dogs
Pendi
Andrew Lang collects and edits different folk tales, myths, legends, and other stories from different countries, religions, and cultures. However, he does rewrite them to fit the Anglo-Saxon, Christian ideals that were pervasive among Western cultures, such as the United Kingdom and the United States. But once you get past that, it is an enjoyable way to learn new stories for future tellings.
Leonardo
Jan 05, 2009 Leonardo rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fairy tale lovers
Recommended to Leonardo by: Cecilia
A collection of tales perhaps best taken on small dosis. Andrew Lang's were a landmark of fairy tales for children and still are a wortwhile reading. However, I must admit a certain dissapointment with the Green Fairy book. It wasn't that I was not transported to the lands of the fairies in every tale, but I'm afraid that the telling and the stories became somewhat repetitive from very early on: it just became too obvious who was the fairy, who the princess, who the prince, no matter what disgui ...more
Lesley
Great book of fairy tales! Read it when I was a kid. All the Andrew Lang color fairy books are wonderful, with lovely illustrations by H.J. Ford.
Juli Anna Herndon
Worth a gander here: "The Story of Caliph Stork," "Heart of Ice," "The Dirty Shepherdess," "Puddocky,""Allerleirauh: or, the Many-Furred Creature," "Spindle, Shuttle, Needle,""The Three Dogs."
Julie
This one had less odd stories, and more long, enjoyable ones. There were a few I hadn't heard, which is always nice.
Maria
Alright, but I don't have many comments on it. It's a book of fairy tales, parts of dialogue are hilarious…

For example, in one (not sure which story, exactly)

"Well, tell me everything. There must be a princess at the bottom of all this."

"There are TWO." Said the king wryly.

Which is all well and good.

Stories I liked:

- The Caliph Stork
- Rosanella
- Prince Featherhead and Princess Celandine
- Puddocky (sort of like The White Cat)
- Hok Lee and the Dwarves
- Prince Vivien and Princess Placida
- The Twel
Tammy
Mar 05, 2015 Tammy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Waiting for it's arrival.....
Kate Coombs
I take my fairy tales seriously, so I'm slowly collecting all of the Lang books. This one has some good stories from Grimm, a couple of those long, romanticized tales from the French court, and a few miscellaneous stories--including Caliph Stork, which I believe is from 1001 Arabian Nights. I will just say that anyone who's really into fairy tales should consider reading these books, but might want to check them out at the library.
K.
So much fun. These fairy books are quaintly old-fashioned in a good way.

My only beef with this book, which came from the Logan Library, is that the dear editor thought he needed to change, rewrite etc. Why? Wasn't Andrew Lang good enough? And, although the pictures were great, I understand that they are not original.

I want to purchase all 12 of these fairy books, but I'll be concerned to get unadulterated Lang.
Sandie
This book was a gift from my 3rd Grade teacher and I read it over and over through the years. Its since been lost to me, but I can remember spending many hours reading this book. I loved it and if it was in my possession I have no doubt that I would continue reading it. Like Grimm's Fairy Tales, I never tired of this book. Full of delightful stories!!
Stef
great read aloud, we really enjoyed this one except for three stories that were just bizarro world o_O
Warren Rochelle
I have set for myself as a long-term project to (re)read all the color fairy books edited by Andrew Lang. (Re)read because I remember reading them as a child, but I am not sure I read every single book or every single tale in all the books. I got the idea for this from Robin McKinley, one of my author heroes. On to the Yellow!
Portia
This is a wonderful collection of original fairy tales, including The Dirty Shepherdess; The Story of the Fisherman and His Wife; Little One Eyes, Little Two Eyes, and Little Three Eyes; Allerleirauh- or, the Many-furred Creature. An absolute must in Lang's "Fairy Book" series for any child who wants "just one more" bedtime story!
Maureen
Jun 05, 2008 Maureen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and the people who read to them
Shelves: children
After we finished reading The Red Fairy Book, we went straight into The Green Fairy Book. There are familiar stories here, along with some I had never heard before. In the realm of classic children's literature, these books (red, green, blue) should be read.
Mary
I normally love fairy tales, but this book had waay too much violence as a means to an end. In one story, two people were perfectly kind to someone and got beaten, whereas another person who beat that same person got to marry a princess and live happily ever after.
Lisa
My daughter listened to these stories on audio book at bedtime. She loved them. She is not sensitive in nature and is not bothered at all by fairy tale violence or dark themes, but some stories may not be appropriate for sensitive souls before bed.
Peregrine
I haven't actually read any of these fairy books all the way through, but read a few stories here and there. I have all but the Gray and the Brown one on my kindle and read them when I have nothing else to do. Great for long car trips.
Jianna
Jul 28, 2010 Jianna rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like fairy tales or anthologies and children
Recommended to Jianna by: amazon.com
Not quite as good as die Märchen der Brüder Grimm. I also wish that it would mention the source of these fairy tales, although it does state it was written 1844-1912.
Arwen
Another book of fairy tales. It's interesting to read the fairy tales which have many of the same plots and themes and see the regional variations make each a new tale.
Jenn
Another excellent fairy book. After reading so many of these books, I still can't believe there are fairy tales I have NEVER heard of!
Kelsey
I liked this book best out of the three fairy books, I recently read! It had the most unique and different stories i it!
Chris
I loved this book as a kid... it's what really piqued my interest in the supernatural and magic and mythology...
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
  • The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
  • American Fairy Tales
  • Fearless Girls, Wise Women & Beloved Sisters: Heroines in Folktales from Around the World
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies
  • Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales (Penguin Popular Classics)
  • Forbidden Journeys: Fairy Tales and Fantasies by Victorian Women Writers
Andrew Gabriel Lang was a prolific Scots man of letters. He was a poet, novelist, and literary critic, and a contributor to anthropology. He now is best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales.

The Young Scholar and Journalist
Andrew Gabriel Lang grew up in Selkirk in the Scottish Borders, the son of the town clerk and the eldest of eight children. The wild and beautiful landscape of his childh
More about Andrew Lang...

Coloured Fairy Books (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Blue Fairy Book
  • The Crimson Fairy Book
  • The Brown Fairy Book
  • The Orange Fairy Book
  • The Olive Fairy Book
The Blue Fairy Book The Red Fairy Book The Yellow Fairy Book The Pink Fairy Book The Orange Fairy Book

“If there are frightful monsters in fairy tales, they do not frighten you now, because that kind of monster is no longer going about the world, whatever he may have done long, long ago. He has been turned into stone, and you may see his remains in museums.” 4 likes