Start by marking “Heroes & Monsters: The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, #1)” as Want to Read:

Heroes & Monsters: The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen #1)

This book-length celebration and analysis of the Artistic Event of the Century includes an exclusive interview and introduction by League of Extraordinary Gentlemen co creator and author Alan Moore; commentary by co-creator a nd illustrator Kevin O'Neill: detailed, panel-by-panel annotations of the first League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series.
Published June 1st 2003 by Monkeybrain

To ask other readers questions about Heroes & Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heroes & Monsters

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloudMen of Tomorrow by Gerard JonesThe Ten-Cent Plague by David HajduMaking Comics by Scott McCloudKirby by Mark Evanier
books about comics
54th out of 131 books — 75 voters
The Meat Market by James ChalkThe Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerRed Harvest by Dashiell HammettTarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice BurroughsBlind Corners by Jemir Robert Johnson
Pulps Past and Present
182nd out of 201 books — 84 voters

More lists with this book...

Brenton Nichol
Apr 21, 2008 Brenton Nichol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
This volume is comprised of the exhaustive annotations to the first collected volume of Alan Moore's unprecedented graphic novel series League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, a forward by Moore himself, a couple of essays by the author, and an interview of Moore conducted by the author.

Jess Nevins is a librarian who also happens to be an expert on and enthusiast of Victorian era literature. Nevins originally posted his exhaustive annotations online, and, after receiving additional submissions from o
Rustin Parr
Mar 08, 2008 Rustin Parr rated it really liked it
Half the genius of LoEG are the innummerable literary, etc., references hidden within. Nevins supplement opens up the in-jokes to all of us laymen so that we too can be part of the club. This work allows one to much better appreciate the effort Moore and O'Neill put into the books. The additional material in this volume also provides solid backgrounds on LoEG's major players, which is right handy for those of us not completely familiar with all of the original material. Smashing interviews to bo ...more
Zac
Feb 06, 2014 Zac rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great, and quite necessary, companion to the first LoEG volume, which has definitely piqued my interest in 19th century (and older) fiction. The annotations are a little more detailed and refined than on Nevins' website, but I did like seeing the guest contributions and the kind of progress and piecing together of the puzzle that I got from reading the web version. The essays were interesting, but tended to just refer to a list of other titles a bit much. The interview with Moore was excellent ...more
Helmut
Mar 04, 2013 Helmut rated it really liked it
Für Detektive und Neugierige

Dass Moore mit "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" einen modernen Klassiker des Comicgenres erschaffen hat ist wohl nicht anzuzweifeln. Das herausragende an diesem Werk ist die Einbindung von so vielen Quellen, versteckten Hinweisen, dass selbst bei intensiver Lektüre dem neugierigen und inquisitiven Leser Fragen offen bleiben. Diese Fragen beantwortet dieses Buch hier für den ersten Band von LoEG.

Welcher Vorlage folgt dieser Charakter auf Seite 23, Panel 2? In einem
The other John
May 30, 2009 The other John rated it liked it
This is a read once kind of book--"The Unofficial Companion to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." If you've read LOEG, you know that is is packed full of characters from and references to other works of fiction. Mr. Nevins has gone through and made notes about them all. Since I'm not quite as well read as him, I loved paging through the book and finding out about the references I didn't catch. But now that I'm done, well, I doubt if I'll read it again. I mean, occasionally you get a referen ...more
Rick
Oct 28, 2007 Rick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, horror
Heroes & Monsters: The Unofficial Companion to The League of Extraordinary Gentleman reprints all of the information from Nevin’s popular website plus biographies and analyses of all the major players, commentary by Kevin O’Neill, introduction by Alan Moore, and an interview with Moore. All this wrapped in a gorgeous John Picacio cover. Nevins’ book is not needed to enjoy League, but it will greatly enhance your reading pleasure.
Travis
Jess Nevins attempts to catalogue all the literary characters, places and things Alan Moore included in his 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics.

He's a brave man and has created a reference book that is almost as much fun to read as the source.

As a literature geek, I knew a lot of this, but was glad to find out about the ones I missed or guessed wrong about.
Emily
Jan 01, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: victorian, fantasy, meta
Jess Nevins is my kinda man - a humble librarian interested in Victoriana and sci-fi/fantasy. Hot!

This book is, of course, fun only if you've read the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novel, which I admit might not be for everyone. But it's for me and Jess!
Jdetrick
A very helpful way to get the full experience out of the first volume of League of Extraordinary Gentleman. The essays in the back are a little less strong and ever towards the pompous a few times, but overall, they're informative and interesting.
Variaciones Enrojo
Feb 21, 2015 Variaciones Enrojo marked it as to-read
Shelves: ingles, loeg, ensayo, nevins
Anexo informativo del primer volumen de League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
Gina
May 31, 2009 Gina rated it really liked it
The unofficial companion to volume I of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, with panel by panel explication of the numerous literary and cultural references.
Chris
Nov 26, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Worth reading along with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume One by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill.
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Paul & Karianne
Paul & Karianne rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Javier Mercado
Javier Mercado marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Giuppe
Giuppe rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
James Bowman
James Bowman rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Zachary Eddinger
Zachary Eddinger rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Tanise Lima
Tanise Lima marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
patrick grogan
patrick grogan marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Johan Lindqvist
Johan Lindqvist marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Sully Tarnish
Sully Tarnish rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Mirabelle
Mirabelle marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Endya
Endya marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Billy
Billy marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Gary Nealy, Jr.
Gary Nealy, Jr. rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
  • Wizardry and Wild Romance: A Study of Epic Fantasy
  • Introducing Joyce
  • Romanticism (Introducing)
  • Storming the Reality Studio: A Casebook of Cyberpunk & Postmodern Science Fiction
  • Watching the Watchmen: The Definitive Companion to the Ultimate Graphic Novel
  • Introducing Marquis De Sade
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • The Nightmare Factory, Vol. 2
  • 25,000 Years of Erotic Freedom
  • Reading Comics
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 4: End Game
  • The Dreams Our Stuff is Made Of: How Science Fiction Conquered the World
  • The Casebook of Newbury & Hobbes (Newbury and Hobbes)
  • Alice in Sunderland

The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (3 books)
  • A Blazing World: The Unofficial Companion to the Second League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, #2)
  • Impossible Territories: The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier