Lovely Green Eyes

Lovely Green Eyes

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  266 ratings  ·  40 reviews
She has hair of ginger and lovely green eyes, and she has just been transported with her family from Terezin to Auschwitz. In short order, her father commits suicide, and her mother and younger brother are dispatched to the gas chambers, but 15 year old Hanka Kaudersova is still alive. Faced with the choice of certain death in the camp or working in a German military broth...more
Published by Arcade Publishing (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Lovely Green Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lovely Green Eyes

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankNight by Elie WieselSarah's Key by Tatiana de RosnayNumber the Stars by Lois Lowry
World War II/Holocaust Fiction & Non-fiction
86th out of 377 books — 421 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussHarold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryIsland of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
Colorful Books
67th out of 336 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat
Skinny is fifteen years old, Jewish and alone in Auschwitz. When faced with a decision between the gas chambers and working in a brothel, she chooses to hide her Jewishness and becomes a prostitute, servicing upwards of twelve soldiers each and every day.

Told in flashes of life before Auschwitz and her days in the brothel, Skinny manages to distance herself from being completely overwhelmed by her situation and instead focuses on keeping her clients happy by anticipating their every move. That d...more
Frank
Just finished this very powerful thought-provoking novel. It told the story of 15-year old Jewish “skinny” Hanka Kaudersova who with her family was deported to Auschwitz during WWII. Her mother, father, and younger brother are sent to the gas chamber but skinny survives by claiming to be 18 and by chance being sent to an SS brothel behind the eastern front where her Aryan looks allowed her to disguise the fact she was Jewish. She has to service 12 or more German soldiers per day while at the bro...more
Zvi Jonathan
Arnos Lustig was a survivor of Auschwitz and Buchenwald who in after the war who would be voice of consceince all his life, reigning from the Czech Communist Party in 1967 in protest at Czechoslovakia breaking ties with Israel and presecuting Jews in that country and leaving Czechoslovakia after the Soviet invasion of 1968
This astonishing and moving story bring to life the horrors of the Nazi holocaust and World War II written by a remarkable man who lived through them.
15 year old Hanka Kudersov...more
Fatima Grace
The story is overwhelming. I can see the scenes that happened in Auschwitz by imagining it through the author's words. I feel for the girls who had to use their bodies in order to survive. I hate the Holocaust. The book itself isn't bad, it's just that it's all over the place! It keeps on jumping from one character to the other.. All the time I have to verify from a previous chapter who "I" was in the next chapter. I understand that it was supposed to be narrated by someone who loves Skinny, but...more
Chrissi
I picked this book up in Prague after visiting Terezin, the concentration camp about an hour from the city mentioned in the novel. WWII and Holocaust history has always both interested and horrified me. In reading Lovely Green Eyes, I was asked to consider another part of this history: what happens to the survivors, the ones who live with the memories of the time, the horrors they have seen? "Skinny" - the nickname she earns at the field brothel - passes as an Aryan, and after the deaths of her...more
I'm always drawn in by accounts or stories of what people went through at the hands of the Nazi mindset. I appreciated this book because it discussed two sides I'd not really read anything on before. On one hand there were the survivors, those who managed to drag themselves through right to the end of the war & face the no doubt near impossible task of trying to move on. And then there was the side of those who fought for the Nazi side, & believed strongly in everything that side fought...more
Abailart
I was introduced to this wonderful writer by a friend who knew of my interest in the Holocaust experience of the human mind, through history, interpretations, memoirs and the creative arts. The book added to the texture of my understanding.
More than this, it added yet more to my treasure of literary experience. Here is a unique voice: sparse, consistent and controlled, and immensely powerful.
You are unlikely ever to come across such a chilling description of the broken mind of a psycopathic ki...more
Janet
Faced with a choice of working in a brothel or being executed, Hanka - or Skinny as she becomes known - chooses to live. Because of her Aryan looks she is not recognised as Jewish and is therefore sent to the Russian front and begins work as a prostitute. She has to tolerate some difficult treatment by some of the German soldiers, but others treat her well.

Her story is dealt with sympathetically and despite the subject-matter is not graphic. Ultimately it is a novel about survival. Although well...more
Kim
This was a pretty disturbing tale of a teenage Jewish girl who manages to escape death in the concentration camps due to her Aryan appearance but ends up in a brothel for German soldiers, having to 'service' 12 or more German soldiers every day. The book was fiction but read like a memoir; the language was quite understated which may have been either the author's style or a result of the translation. The narrator kept changing, also the time period seemed to jump back and forth, both of which we...more
Vicki
This story is told in these vivid flashes and pieces -- so beautiful and sad and frightening. Skinny (the nickname she earns) is a Czech Jew who gets mistaken for a Gentile, and becomes a prostitute in a German field brothel. She must now sleep with the very soldiers and men who are persecuting her people. You read this novel breathlessly -- you worry what will happen to Skinny at every turn. The story has so many beautiful passages and images, though, that it's enough to carry you through the s...more
Othon Leon
Lustig takes you back to the origins of human nature, through the almost inocent look of those lovely green eyes; Skinny (Hanka Kaudersová) makes you wonder time after time, thought after thought and movement after movement, of our human "borders", our inescapable limmited conditions, sometimes even, reminding us of not only our sure mortality but the "trap" our bodies represent. Finally, Lustig and Skinny reminded me that there are no answers, just a bunch of hard questions...
Talea
Incredible. INcredible book. From this book alone, I now want to learn more of the horrors from inside the concentration camps. Though it was grim and makes you cringe and maybe even cry, it will soften you and make you really hope that humans will one day stop being so damned stupid.
Amazing. I loved every second of it and fell in love with the main character and felt all of her pain and eventual hollowness as she did what she had to to make it out alive.
Michele
I did not enjoy this book.
Andrew
Jul 17, 2011 Andrew rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrew by: alena
good book. very insightful into the thoughts and emotions of someone in a terrible situation in the holocaust.

this book was originally written in czech and much like reading other translated works, i could feel that i was missing bits and pieces throughout. the translation was good, it all made sense and painted a graphic, disturbing, and masterful picture of the character, but something was missing.

Brooke
Very sad, but it's written in such a sparse way that you actually feel completely disconnected to the characters. I suppose it's supposed to mirror the depressing life of the main character, but it actually makes it hard to feel for her because it seems like nothing is virtually known about her by the time the book is finished--especially since the majority of her dialogue is "I don't know."
Joss
I found this book quite hard to get into, mainly because the chronology jumps around and isn't fully explained. It is a very difficult testimony of a harrowing time, but I actually felt there could have been more depth to it. Perhaps the author felt a light touch was more appropriate. Personally I prefer 'And the Violins stopped playing' (about the Gypsies and Auschwitz).
Fiona
Visceral and evocative. This was hard to read at times, but never salacious. It resonates deeply with the pain of those who survived the Holocaust and saw their families killed before them. I think that, having absorbed so many Holocaust stories, I'd become slightly inured to the overwhelming horror of it, but this story cut right through that.
Bachyboy
This is an incredibly harrowing read and yet it is beautifully written. I know I am always going to admire anything published by Harvill Press. 15 year old Hanka is deported to Auschwitz and manages to stay alive by becoming a prostitute for the German soldiers. I have just read it again and given it to my daughter to read.
Mac Gifford
A shocking story of Nazi evil perpetrated on a young Czech woman of Jewish descent. There are scenes that are so full of emotion that you will be unable to sit still in your chair. I need not say anymore for fear of taking away the surprise.
Cooper Renner
Not flawless, but a masterpiece nonetheless. The story of a 15-year-old Jewish girl who is able to survive World War II under the Nazis by passing as non-Jewish and serving as an official prostitute for soldiers. Heartbreaking, but not maudlin.
Cherie
A- Fantastic story (even if the chronology and flashbacks become a bit confusing at times) about a Jewish teenager who conceals her age and religion to survive during the Holocaust, where she works as a prostitute for the Germany army
Isolabella
War brings out the evil in human being. This is the story of a young woman Hanka Kaudersova Czech Jew, because of her Aryan look, she avoided the gas chamber and worked in an SS brothel. Here she will experience hell on earth.
Linda
This is a powerful story by this Czech author. Holocaust fiction with a ring of truth. Good v. evil. Lots of redemption. The usual themes but the characters come alive in a unique way. I'll read more of this author.
Debra
Jan 30, 2008 Debra rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those intrested in the holocaust
Recommended to Debra by: VINCE
It has the same theme most books do that are about Auschwitz survivers.
The story tells of women who chose to work in brothels instead of going to death camps.I never got tired of the book and it keep my intrest.
Lynn Lipinski
Beautifully written book about a young Jewish woman hiding her identity in a brothel for Nazi soldiers. Very powerful story, written by Arnost Lustig, who spent part of his childhood in concentration camps.
RUSA CODES
This was one of the 2003 RUSA Notable Books winners. For the complete list, go to http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/rus...
Erika Dreifus
I read this book for the first time while I had the privilege of taking a writing workshop led by its author. An unforgettable novel, by an extraordinary man.
Sheila
Translated from Czech by Ewald Osers, this is a true story about a 15 year old Jewish girl sent to Auschwitz and then to a brothel for German soldiers.
Emily Richards
A very moving read. As a young teenager, Hanka Kaudersova is deported to Auschwitz with her Jewish family but her Aryan appearance might save her life.
Dawn Ashenbrenner
Didn't finish this. It was okay but maybe a lot is lost in translation because half-way through I just decided it wasn't worth it.
  • Voyage of the Damned
  • Holocaust
  • The Warsaw Anagrams
  • In Revere, In Those Days
  • The Pleasure's All Mine:  Memoir of a Professional Submissive
Arnošt Lustig (born 21 December 1926 in Prague) is a renowned Czech Jewish author of novels, short stories, plays, and screenplays whose works have often involved the Holocaust.

As a Jewish boy in Czechoslovakia during World War II, he was sent in 1942 to the Theresienstadt concentration camp, from where he was later transported to the Auschwitz concentration camp, followed by time in the Buchenwal...more
More about Arnošt Lustig...
A Prayer for Katerina Horovitzova The Unloved: From the Diary of Perla S. Diamonds of the Night  Dita Saxova Darkness Casts No Shadow