Start by marking “Every Secret Thing” as Want to Read:
Every Secret Thing

Every Secret Thing

When Elizabeth Gunnar accepts a teaching position at the preparatory school she attended as a girl, she is returning to more than a place - to memories, mysteries, and an old love. Once there she meets unexpected challenges and challenging new people.
Published October 31st 2007 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Every Secret Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Secret Thing

Olivia
I need all Ann Tatlock's books right now!!! This one was simple, down to earth, and just relaxing to read. It isn't suspenseful or fast-paced, but it is realistic and full of such great descriptions of human nature and personalities. I'll Watch the Moon is still my favorite, but this one came very close :))

What makes this book so good is the fact that at the beginning you have no idea how the book is going to end. When Elizabeth moves back to her high school home-this time as a teacher-she meets
Joyce
Feb 28, 2015 Joyce rated it it was amazing
Public library copy.

The Prologue is wonderful! I love this book from the Prologue straight through to the Epilogue! The story, the point of view, the characters, the setting, the plot, the layers, the theme -- all excellent. I have nothing to say... nothing about the writing.

I will tell you how the book affected me. The Prologue drew me in. It is fabulous. The book is in first person, and sounds like the author is talking to the reader. After I read the Prologue I tweeted Ann about loving the bo
Carol Preston
Jul 19, 2014 Carol Preston rated it really liked it
Loved this story of Satchel, a young girl who'd given up on happiness, and Beth, a young woman who'd given up on love. Both find much more than they'd expected in a small town in Delaware, USA. A story about the value of teaching, the importance of truth, about acceptance and patience and about finding what ultimately and eternally matters.
Diana
Jul 22, 2014 Diana rated it it was amazing
Part of me wants to call this a nice comfortable read- which it is. However if you're a Curious George like me, you know there is a little more to the story. This book kept me reading to find the secrets that everyone was holding back. Not just things that happened, but also things that were felt were held inside, rather than bringing them before the other person and having a resolution. The other thing that intrigued me was that the main character had a teacher/mentor and was becoming that same ...more
Marije Van
Jul 14, 2016 Marije Van rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for my birthday (thanks mum!) and it took me a while to start reading it. But yesterday I finally started it and I really liked it! It was fun and it had a lot of literary references :-)
Sheenamy
Apr 29, 2016 Sheenamy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Joleen
Nov 15, 2016 Joleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, suicide
This was an odd little book. Some characters are only in the book for a short while and drift off, but even the little mentioned ones have significance.
Set in present day, in Delaware at a private boarding school, Beth Gunnar returns to the school not as a student, but as a teacher. A young student named Satchel Queen becomes a friend of sorts. Satchel is miserable and lets everyone know she's unhappy. But the friendship between teacher and student brings her out of her sad, angry state.
An old
Valerie
Oct 04, 2016 Valerie rated it really liked it
I thought I had read all of Ann Tatlock's books but must have missed this as it came out in 2007. I love her books. Miss Gunnar is a teacher at the boarding school she attended as a youth. While a student, she witnessed something horrifying that has never left her thoughts. Meanwhile, a young student of hers, Satchel, finds Miss Gunnar to be a friend/mother figure and together they face the struggles of the results of the horrifying event that happened when Miss Gunnar was a student. This book ...more
Amanda
Oct 07, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book -- beautifully written and deeply emotional. This is what women's fiction should be.
Karen
Jun 03, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys literary fiction
I just finished reading this book and wanted to write this review while it was still fresh in my mind.
First, I didn't realize this book was categorized as "Christian fiction" and I was somewhat put off by that. I honestly don't think I've read a "Christian fiction" title before and so I wasn't sure what to expect. But I didn't want to be "preached to".
I picked this book up second-hand, otherwise I doubt I would have bought it. But I will say that it's almost unfortunate that this book is categor
Robin Nicholas
Dec 10, 2009 Robin Nicholas rated it it was ok
This book was annoying. It is about a teacher, Beth, who returns to teach English at the Private school she went to as a teenager. The story sounded interesting, but as I started to read I noticed a few things that didn't really make sense. Her best high school friend shows up at her doorstep. They haven't seen each other in 15 years. The friend said that she left her husband in charge for the rest of the evening, jumped in her car and here she is. When offered coffee in the next sentence, she ...more
Deborah
Jun 24, 2013 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Beth Gunner returns to the school of her youth, this time as an English teacher. But the mysteries of the past aren't the only things haunting her steps, and despite her questions, there are no simple answers. While she wonders what went wrong with her favorite English teacher, she is terrified thinking that if the answers to her query are ever brought to light - the truth may be more than meets the eye.

But then the past returns to taunt her, and begins to cloak everything she does. Nightmares
Jenny
Jul 04, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it
Katja
Nov 30, 2012 Katja rated it really liked it
When Elizabeth applies up for an ordinary teaching job at the high school she used to study, she finds that she signed up for more than just a career. She begins to ask questions about circumstances that occurred in her past because of an eye opening student named Satchel Queen. Elizabeth not continues the journey of the finding of others, but also finds herself, meaningful relationships, and answers.

I really enjoyed this novel because of the way that the author had sequenced the events in this
Deb
Mar 04, 2011 Deb rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, fiction
A powerful story that explores the effect secrets can have on us. Elizabeth Gunnar accepts a teaching position at the preparatory school she attended as a girl and she ends up returning to memories, mysteries, and an old love. The mystery if what really happened to her favorite teacher--right before the end of her senior year he tried to commit suicide and they never saw him again. The official story was that he had a heart attack--but Elizabeth and her friends were the ones who found him, and ...more
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

Ann Tatlock continues to be one of my absolute favorite authors. If she publishes a new book I will buy the book even without knowing what the book is about.

This book chronicles a time in the life of an English teacher at a prep school in Delaware. Beth loves books, even more than I do. I totally identified with her. I also identified with the really normal pace of the story and the completely believable pacing in the story.

Ann Tatlock weaves together Beth's memories,
Sarbear
Aug 12, 2016 Sarbear rated it it was ok
Meh. I picked this up as an audiobook from the local library. The story sounded interesting. By the third chapter, it was just too boring to keep my interest. I found myself constantly having to replay chapters over and over again, because my mind would wonder onto other and more interesting things while I listened.

Something about the name Satchel annoyed me as well. I just kept picturing purses.

It just became very tedious to me. I stuck it out to the end, and I wish I hadn't. The ending is ver
Georgia Herod
Jun 18, 2016 Georgia Herod rated it really liked it
When Elizabeth Gunnar accepts a job as an English teacher at the school she attended as a girl, she finds herself returning to more than a place. Seaton Preparatory holds so many memories—of a beloved teacher who left under mysterious circumstances, of Satchel Queen, a troubled young woman searching for her place in the world, whose writing gets Elizabeth’s attention, of Ray Schmidt, a former love. As Elizabeth faces her fears in the present, she learns from her past—and comes to grips with who ...more
Jaki
Feb 23, 2010 Jaki rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jaki by: library book
I thought on beginning this book that it was going to be powerful school group book along the lines of "Secret History" but this had no power in it. While the main characters were likeable, they were not strongly represented, and the writing was fairly weak. I did not know that the author was writing as a Christian from the book description, and it was only hinted at slowly, but the message from this book was completely about finding a path through prayer, and being in the moment with God. Not ...more
Kristen
Mar 02, 2009 Kristen rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Gunnar returns to teach at Seaton Academy, where she attended senior high. The past confronts her from the moment she arrives in the form of a young struggling student, Satchel Queen. Elizabeth unravels the mystery of a teacher who vanished under suspicious circumstances, reunites with an old flame, and tries to work miracles in order to keep Satchel safely at Seaton. Based on Christian themes, I enjoyed the slow easy pace of the book, the unravelling mystery, and the journalistic ...more
Michael E.
Jan 22, 2013 Michael E. rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, but unfortunately not to the degree to say that I "Really Liked it". The book is well written, and the characters are well formed. The story kept me engaged, although it did seem to move a little slow. I was interested in the characters, but somehow I just didn't connect with the story that much. Perhaps other people would really identify with the plot, or the atmosphere, and enjoy the book more than I did. So don't read this as a negative review, but rather just an ...more
Andrea
Nov 28, 2009 Andrea rated it did not like it
A tedious read. Does Bethany House have any editors? I wish I would have realized who the publisher was before I started this because I probably wouldn't have read it. What could have been a compelling story was ruined by inane dialogue and over-simplicity. It didn't take too long to realize what man the main character was going to end up with even though there was a decided lack of sexual tension in all her interactions with men.

And another thing, haven't any of the characters ever heard of ema
Amy
Oct 10, 2008 Amy rated it it was ok
I read another book by Ann Tatlock called "I'll Watch the Moon" which was awesome! So I picked up "Every Secret Thing" thinking I've got a good author here. Usually, when I find a good author, I will read everything they've written. Well, this author seems to be "hit or miss". The other book was wonderful and this one was just OK. I really thought by the cover and the description of the book it would be way more suspenseful and mysterious. It did not live up to my expectations, but it wasn't ...more
Staci
Jun 05, 2010 Staci rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
I picked this one up because of a Goodreads ad and after reading it thought this would be a book that I'd enjoy. I did enjoy it, but it didn't blow me away. And you know something....I'm o.k. with that. I still like to sit down with a good solid book and become involved with the story, and that is what happens with this one. I liked that the main character is a book lover, in fact, she sounds like she would fit into our crowd easily. I would classify this one as a gentle read that was worth the ...more
Kari Burke
Sep 07, 2015 Kari Burke rated it liked it
In the beginning, this book reminded me of the movie, Dead Poets Society. It took place at a boarding school. It had a deep thinking English teacher, a few students who idolized him, a lot of references to poetry, and a tragic unexpected death. About half way through, the book goes in a different direction from that old movie though... And, unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the second half of the book as much as the first.

Still, it was a fairly enjoyable story even though many of the coincidences i
Andrea
May 27, 2010 Andrea rated it it was ok
THIS WAS A STORY ABOUT A SCHOOL TEACHER WHO RETURNS TO HER HOME TOWN TO TEACH AT THE SCHOOL SHE ATTENDED. IT DETAILS HER DEVISTATION AROUND THE ATTEMPTED SUICIDE OF HER FAVORITE TEACHER - APARENTLY SHE WAS NOT ABLE TO COPE WITH THIS EVENT AFTER 20 PLUS YEARS AWAY.

THE AUTHOR THROWS IN SOME CHRISTIAN "HOPE" TOWARD THE END - BUT IT DOES NOT SEEM TO FLOW.

THE AUTHOR IS ALSO A TERRIBLE WRITER - SHE USES VERY LAME SENTENCE STRUCTURE - IT IS LIKE READING A PRIMARY SCHOOL BOOK.
Connie Marx
May 29, 2013 Connie Marx rated it really liked it
It was a good book, it dealt with real life matters,and how people really do feel after a suicide. It was a little sugar coated, but did go where most other books of this type don't. Only down side... I FELT OLD!...lol When the main character talks about the music they listen to in school... and how that was SUCH a long time ago.... No it wasn't... I listen to the same stuff! LOL well done Ann Tatlock.
Lisa
Mar 25, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-group
Loved this book, and I've loved all of this author's books. She's one of my favorites. I really enjoy how the author moves back and forth through the life of the main character, slowly building the plot. I really enjoyed the main character, and how she makes a real difference in the life of one of her high school students. I didn't like the side story of the character's romantic involvement, but loved the rest.
Margaret Hardie
Nov 19, 2014 Margaret Hardie rated it liked it
I enjoy Ann Tatlock's books generally. They are clean, which for me is important. But I always want a little more, as I did with this book. I get frustrated with her characters, but she usually resolves it in the end. I just feel like the books end before it is supposed to, and sometimes 'clean' mean she leaves out deep emotion as well. Still, I have read a number of her books and probably will again. This one is worth the read.
Gillian Greaves
Jul 26, 2014 Gillian Greaves rated it really liked it
I have just read this book and thoroughly enjoyed it from cover to cover. It was a gentle journey which I found restful and complete. Although I can understand others concerns about loose endings, but that's life. Not my normal style of book as usually stick with thrillers so a refreshing change. I had no idea that it was a "Christian" book until reading these book reviews but have to say I felt quite moved in a positive way by the story line. I will definitely read more books by this author.
  • A Window to the World
  • Sonnet to a Dead Contessa (Lady Trent Mystery #3)
  • Fallen Angels
  • Love Finds You in Groom, Texas
  • Piece de Resistance (French Twist, #3)
  • Veil of Pearls
  • A Bouquet of Love (Weddings by Design #4)
  • Fairer Than Morning (Saddler's Legacy, #1)
  • Blue Skies Tomorrow (Wings of Glory, #3)
  • In Search of Eden (Second Chances Collection, #2)
  • Mending Places (New Heights Series, #1)
  • Millie's Fiery Trial (A Life of Faith: Millie Keith #8)
  • Beautiful Bandit (Lone Star Legends, #1)
  • The Cure
  • A Walk in Heaven
  • Butterfly Palace
  • Home Another Way
  • My Life as a Doormat (In Three Acts)
Ann Tatlock is a novelist and children’s book author. Her books have received numerous awards, including the Christy Award, the Midwest Book Award and the Silver Angel Award for Excellence in Media. She also serves as managing editor of Heritage Beacon, the historical fiction imprint of Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas. She lives with her family in Western North Carolina.
More about Ann Tatlock...