Start by marking “Out of My Later Years: The Scientist, Philosopher, and Man Portrayed Through His Own Words” as Want to Read:

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  21 reviews

An inspiring collection of essays, in which Albert Einstein addresses the topics that fascinated him as a scientist, philosopher, and humanitarian
Divided by subject matter—“Science,” “Convictions and Beliefs,” “Public Affairs,” etc.—these essays consider everything from the need for a “supranational” governing body to control war in the atomic age, to freedom in research a

Published (first published January 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Out of My Later Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of My Later Years

Daniel
"Man owes his strength in the struggle for existence to the fact that he is a socially living animal" [pg.34.]

"Reason, of course, is weak, when measured against its never-ending task. Weak, indeed, compared with the follies and passions of mankind, which, we must admit, almost entirely control our human destinies, in great things and small. Yet the works of the understanding outlast the noisy bustling generations and spread light and warmth across the centuries." [pg.219]

"It is the goal of every
Jack
This one went through patches of being alternately really interesting and rather cumbersome. Its partitioned into several distinct sections, his philosophical portions being of the greatest interest for me personally (especially his thoughts on education). His scientific writings were certainly challenging for me. If your theoretical physics and differential calculus are in good shape then you'll be fine, but I'm a little rusty on the latter and never known enough about the former. And in both o ...more
Mark Wilkerson
Not knowing much about Albert Einstein other than a few "E=mc squared" and a few memorable quotes, I took a shot at this book of essays to learn more. And what a treat this read was!

The book is organized well; for example, if you are interested in his views on politics or society, there are sections for that. If you are interested in his views on science, or in finding out about his work in physics or astronomy, there is a section on that also.

This book is a nice way to introduce yourself to th
Brett
Fascinating to look into the mind of this iconic genius. After serving a pivotal role in the discoveries which led to the invention of nuclear bombs, and recognizing he could have easily been among the millions of European Jews killed in World War II, he seems to have taken a personal interest in practical plans to end war. His ideas about a supranational government are attractive, though probably overly idealistic. I think it's probably unfortunate that his ideas in this arena never really caug ...more
Mike
I have read other books by Albert Einstein but in this particular book he reveals an intimate side of himself not found in other selections. He was aware of him impending death and wanted to share his thoughts and ideas on a multitude of subjects with anyone who cared to listen. This is an intimate look at a man through his work.

I was amazed at his viewpoints on the educational system and urge every parent and educator, that if you read nothing else in your life, READ THIS SECTION! It will chan
Robert Seaman
What a thoughtful, most brilliant and gentle man. This work is not clear evidence of his grand mind,but also of his empathy for all men and his simply stated way of obtaining truly democratic goals. This is a treasure trove of Einstein's most important and intimate work. A renaissance man, if ever there was!
Danmcgohan
Wow! Albert Einstein's essays on science, economics, society, people of great influence, and the Jewish people. Would have given the book five stars except for the essays on science, where my lack of knowledge caused by eyes to glaze over. The remaining essays are very enlightening, showing the great scope of Einstein's intellect. I found some of his social and economic essays utopian with his disregard to man's historical characteristics. Most of these essays were written from the late 30's to ...more
Mike
Good series of essays that gave some insight into his thinking. I had to skip the ones that went into detail about physics as these were boring and heavy for a non-math person. His philosophical essays were of much greater interest to me. It would have been nice if the editors had dated the essays in addition to the bibliography in the back. Since he was discussing his ideas/beliefs in light of events going on at the time, having the date would have put his comments in context.
Tom
Jan 28, 2014 Tom marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
library
Virgilio Pigliucci
I suggest this book for the super Einstein fans out there. The rest.... I am not sure this book is right for you.
I kept looking for something special that did not come.... I might have just had way too high expectations for this reading.

The book, which is mostly a collection of Einstein writings ( including a lot of english errors ) is a good insight on his genius mind, nothing more.
Coco
I wanted to write, what brilliant writing! But then, it is a book of essays written by the most well-known genius in history, so I feel like anything aside from "This book was written by Albert Einstein" is just being superfluous with phrases varying on the theme that "Hey, You Should Read This Book Because It Was Written by Dr Albert Einstein"
Kung
I liked his personal pieces over his scientific chapters. His level of interpretations to grasp reality and other dimensions beyond us puny humans is interesting. Overall, a good read. I am not sure i would read it again but i could review his political perspective again. A 1950s book. The guy is a genius.
Steven Harbeck
Good book but a bit over my head on some things. He was brilliant and some of his thoughts and calculations without context and examples do not make sense to me. Very interesting ideas on almost every subject we face as a society.
Erin
Fascinating collection of speeches and essays from Einstein on a wide variety of social and moral issues. Really enjoyed his essays on education, in particular.
Just Me
I really enjoyed this book. What an inspiring man! I did skip a few of the chapters on science because they were not of interest to me.
One of the few people I wish we're still alive, so I could meet them. Such a brilliant and interesting man.
Sandu
a truly amazing book! a true genius! a simple man! giant of thought!
Chris Woodson
Quite the look into the mind of such a brilliant man.
Beth
Interesting
Tom
Jun 23, 2011 Tom marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
library
Evolots
Evolots marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Shakir Mahmoud
Shakir Mahmoud marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Clarice
Clarice marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Art Fogarty
Art Fogarty marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • Germs, Genes, & Civilization: How Epidemics Shaped Who We Are Today
  • I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot from School
  • Einstein for Beginners
  • Subtle Is the Lord: The Science and the Life of Albert Einstein
  • Perfectly Reasonable Deviations from the Beaten Track: Letters of Richard P. Feynman
  • Einstein: The Life and Times
  • Einstein's Theory of Relativity
  • Corrupted Science: Fraud, Ideology and Politics in Science
  • A World Without Time: The Forgotten Legacy of Gödel And Einstein
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and Science: How to Sort through the Noise Around Global Warming, the Latest Health Claims, and Other Scientific Controversies
  • The Sage of Monticello
  • Einstein's Refrigerator and Other Stories from the Flip Side of History
  • The Joyful Guide To Lachrymology
  • Albert Einstein: A Biography
  • Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned
  • Reinventing the Sacred: A New View of Science, Reason, and Religion
  • If The War Goes On: Reflections On War And Politics
  • Alcatraz: A Definitive History of the Penitentiary Years
In 1879, Albert Einstein was born in Ulm, Germany. He completed his Ph.D. at the University of Zurich by 1909. His 1905 paper explaining the photoelectric effect, the basis of electronics, earned him the Nobel Prize in 1921. His first paper on Special Relativity Theory, also published in 1905, changed the world. After the rise of the Nazi party, Einstein made Princeton his permanent home, becoming ...more
More about Albert Einstein...
Relativity: The Special and the General Theory The World As I See It Ideas and Opinions The Evolution of Physics: From Early Concepts to Relativity and Quanta The Meaning of Relativity

“All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom."

[Moral Decay (first published 1937)]”
223 likes
“إن موسى - عليه السلام - كان قائداً أفضل للبشرية من ميكافيلي ذلك أنّ هذا الأخير، على حذاقته، لم يقدّم للبشرية إلا الارتياب في نوايا الآخر .” 5 likes