Start by marking “A Promise to Ourselves: A Journey Through Fatherhood and Divorce” as Want to Read:
A Promise to Ourselves: A Journey Through Fatherhood and Divorce

A Promise to Ourselves: A Journey Through Fatherhood and Divorce

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A New York Times Bestseller

“I have been through some of the worst of contentious divorce litigation,” Alec Baldwin declares in A Promise to Ourselves. Using a very personal approach, he offers practical guidance to help others avoid the anguish he has endured.

Alec Baldwin is one of the most successful actors in the world today. His relationship with Kim Basinger, the Acade
Published October 13th 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 16th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Promise to Ourselves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Promise to Ourselves

Excellent insight on the process of custody battles from someone who's been through the fight. After reading this book and discussing its contents with friends who have been through custody battles, it appears the issues discussed in the book are prominent in most custody battles. Changes must be made to the family law system, and this book sheds some light on where changes must be made.
Lady Jane
In A Promise to Ourselves: A Journey Through Fatherhood and Divorce, Alec Baldwin puts a celebrity face on dirty secrets which few know, and even fewer understand, that comprise America's current family law system. Contorted to favor custodial parents--usually women--and structured to perpetuate expensive, legal conflict, the only winners in ongoing custodial wars are the paid professionals associated with the case. The biggest losers are children over which wars are being fought, followed by no ...more
Great book! I was impressed and intrigued by what Alec had to say about his experience with the family divorce courts! He talks about parent alienation. A very common thing that occurs when a couple divorces. It affects everyone in the family - aunts, uncles, grandparents and mostly the father (in most cases).
This is not a book of slander and gossip between he and his ex wife. This is a book about his experience (still ongoing) with the LA Family court system. He wanted to be more than a "Disne
Everyone who has had to deal with a bitter ex wife and custody issues will relate to Mr. Baldwin's struggles. Highly recommended! I think everyone should read this book to understand what our legal system allows vicious ex wives to do to their former spouses
Interesting format, and he makes some reasonable points, but ultimately unsatisfying. Purports to be about the family law system and how it's stacked against fathers and fosters billable hours for lawyers more than the best interests of the child. But aside from one chapter in which he interviews a law professor about recent changes in the legal system, and the almost randomly inserted snippets from a few other guys' cases, it's 90% based on his contentious divorce from Kim Basinger (aka "my ex- ...more
When I first heard that Alec Baldwin was writing a book about his divorce and the ruthless custody battle between him and his ex-wife Kim Basinger, I had to wonder in how many ways he would seek to slander her. I, like most of the ignorant public, considered Baldwin a volatile man, having seen his assault of a paparazzi on the news after the birth of his daughter Ireland and having heard the notorious and venomous voice mail he left for his daughter in 2006 (courtesy of the slimy celebrity news ...more
Brandon Cardona
I have been seeing this book for a bit in my local library, and each time I passed it, I laughed every time. I mean, based on what has been said in the press, and the voice-mail between Alec and his daughter, which was made public, how much can this guy really tell you about being a good parent? However, after reading this book, I have more respect for the guy than I had prior. I have no doubt he has a massive anger issue. Calling his daughter a "thoughtless little pig" among other things is obv ...more
What a disappointment. I think Alec Baldwin is the funniest guy on TV right now in 30 Rock. NONE of his wit or humor translates. I know it's a serious book about a serious subject, but I was hoping for at least a morsel of humor. This might be a good guide for a father going through divorce. Other than that: not so good. I'm sorry he went through such hard time fighting for custody and yes, the system sucks blah blah blah. But it's pretty hard to sympathize with a person of means regarding his d ...more
Sharon Hass
What Alec went through prior to the divorce. This was a great book for all to read. you never know just what anyone goes through-men or women when it comes to divorce especially if the divorce is not a 'clean' one. That is where the two just go their own ways and there are no children involved. With Alec it was him fighting hard and trying not to give up for his daughter's sake. She needs her father as she grows older and I was so happy to know he did not give up the fight. This one is a must re ...more
Laura Foti
Nov 11, 2008 Laura Foti rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people going through a divorce
Must-reading for anyone contemplating or already in the throes of a divorce. Baldwin provides a surprising amount of context for his tale of time in the legal system, especially for a guy who says, "I blame my ex-wife least of all for what has transpired."

But the meat here is the first-rate advice for divorcing parents, especially those with young children. See my full review here:
If someone is looking for a gossipy celebrity tell-all they will be highly disappointed with Mr. Baldwin's book. However, if someone is trying to get a handle on a high-conflict co-parenting situation this is a MUST READ.
In this cautionary tale, Alec Balwin describes his expensive and unproductive misadventures through our country's family law system. His account is candid, believable, and unfortunate.
Mr. Baldwin efficiently summarizes Dr. Richard Gardner's discoveries in the field of Parental
Since I worked in the legal profession, I found Alec Baldwin's book particularly interesting. He says that lawyers drag things out particularly if they know the parties involved have money to pay attorney fees. Remember, in litigation, no one wins but the attorneys. Unfortunately, for Baldwin he did not have shared custody of his daughter. He doesn't come out and spell it out, but it sounds like this was due to his bad temper. He said that he was ordered to take anger management classes. He felt ...more
This fascinating insight into the divorce of Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger is one of the most shocking celebrity tell-alls ever written. Baldwin goes after his ex-wife, framing her as a narcissistic nutcase surrounded by expensive attorneys. But the real focus of the book is on how messed-up the legal system is. High-paid lawyers have two goals: to drain the bank accounts of those involved in divorce and to favor the women in custody battles. Overworked judges always favor the wife and the entir ...more
"A Promise to Ourselves" is a thought-provoking, candid look at the family court system as seen through the eyes of Mr. Baldwin. It was not promoted as a tell-all book, and in fact Mr. Baldwin went out of his way during the book's promotion to stress that. He went through some very tough times trying to gain even basic rights as a father, and the intent of this book is to share his experience (without bashing his ex-wife) and provide guidance to parents in similar situations.

He tells us about h
This isn't a tell-all book dishing dirt on his ex-wife, Kim Basinger. The point to this book was to point out the inherent conficts of interest and unfairness in the legal system involving family and divorce law, presumably in the hopes of raising awareness for the reader to help change some laws. There are some personal anecdotes, not only of his own experience (to the extent he was allowed to do so under his own legal constraints), but also those of several other men who told the author their ...more
The most interesting thing here is the claim Baldwin makes; that the legal system, particularly family court, is akin to the 'good ole boys club'. This is where the lines between your attorney who operates as your mouthpiece and advocate and his established relationships with the opposing counsel, judge, and other legal staff may be blurred. And, just as in corporate america, in legal america, there are politics and lawyers and judges wrangling for their next big break--another factor in how you ...more
Chris Hunt
I don't like the guy's politics, but this book isn't political. The quality of the book is also not in the writing. But it is in the message. Alec's message also doesn't bash his ex-wife, but in it he talks about a type of abuse he is affected by which is going on under the radar of our society. It involves the emotional abuse of a child being pitted against one parent by the other. He does not use the term Parental Alienation, but this is what he's referring to.

It is an important book inasmuch
This book is a must read for anyone who's been through a divorce with children involved or knows anyone who's been through a divorce with children involved. Although much of the book is based on Alec's own story, it is mostly a very frank, honest look at the divorce "industry" which in this county is a $28 BILLION a year money-maker.

Sadly, there are not many suggestions for change in the system. He does mention several groups that are trying to gain legislative change, but against the big lobbie
There's nothing entertaining in this book about Alec's painful, drawn-out divorce from Kim Basinger, but it might be useful or interesting to other men going through similar situations. If you're hoping for some juicy celebrity gossip, you won't find it here, either--all the good stuff seems to be sealed under court order. His partnership with Harvard Law professor Jeannie Suk is interesting, especially as not all of their views align.
I'm not really a fan, though Alec Baldwin seems like an interesting person. This book gave some insight into who he is, and covered the story of his divorce well. It's worth reading for the viewpoint on divorce and child custody. It is probably not a great read for fans. The book is true to the intro and cover paragraphs, which is what I set my expectations by, and I found it to be a satisfying read.
I learned quite a bit about family law and America's legal system concerning divorce in Alec Baldwin's book. I also commend him for writing about a period of his life that was clearly a difficult time. What I would have liked to learn that I didn't was how things eventually panned out for him. I do realize that elements of his custody battle might not have been fully resolved at the printing of this book.
This is a very good book in terms of the family legal system and the problems with it. I applaud Alec Baldwin for writing so candidly about his personal experience. Having this problem in my own family, reading his book has helped to keep things in perspective. It's not the best literary experience but it is an honest heart-felt account of a very difficult situation many people go through.
Not well written, but quite readable (in other words, there's repetition, some misused words, and some cliches, but the point of this book is not literary anyhow). I like the book. I admire the clarity of thought and the emotional effort that went into it. Most of his descriptions seem to me spot-on correct, though some are not quite as horrible as the realities they describe.
It's sad that lawyers get rich, bleed families dry, hurt kids all for the all mighty dollar. Alec may not be the easiest man to live with, but he sure loves his daughter. Other men would have given up a lot sooner. His daughter will realize that one day. I yell at my kids too sometime, only difference is that no one puts it all over the news.
Generally enjoyed this. I felt he was fairly objective about his divorce process, without totally dragging X through the mud. Some of the information was eye-opening and thought provoking, a recommended resource for anyone going through, or contemplating a divorce -- whether contentious or not.
Very fast read, I read it this past weekend. An overview of his ongoing custody battle, it was an honest eye-opening, painful account. He could've had much stronger words for the inept BS system that is Family court in this country but his words were certainly damning and indicting.
Puffer T
Seen at the library, what the heck just read about Tori, what else could be more fascinating, then another sthupershtar!! Welp, this is NOT what I expected. It is a guide of all guides on what to do when you get a divorce, the 1-2-3's. Yawn.
This was an interesting read, never realized just how messed up the family law system is. I can't imagine ever being a parent and having to deal with PAS. Thank you Alec for sharing your experience!
Excellant insight into the damage parents cna do to their children for selfish personal goals and choices not related to the best interests or needs of the children they profess they love.
A rant against the "divorce industry". A primer for what to do. Not well written and no "dirt", but was impressed that he was so gracious to his ex.
Divorce preperation 1 6 Oct 16, 2008 04:00PM
  • Divorce Poison
  • Classical Myth
  • Is It You, Me, or Adult ADD? Stopping the Roller Coaster When Someone You Love Has Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Castaway Kid: One Man's Search for Hope and Home
  • Mrs. Fields Cookie Book: 100 Recipes from the Kitchen of Mrs. Fields
  • The Nag Hammadi Scriptures
  • Cracking the Code: How to Win Hearts, Change Minds, and Restore America's Original Vision
  • Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults
  • Third World America: How Our Politicians Are Abandoning the Middle Class and Betraying the American Dream
  • Reformation: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
  • Help For Your Fearful Dog: A Step By Step Guide To Helping Your Dog Conquer His Fears
  • My Life for Yours: A Walk Though the Christian Home
  • Reason to Believe: A Response to Common Objections to Christianity
  • The Smart Stepfamily: New Seven Steps to a Healthy Family
  • A People's History of the Civil War: Struggles for the Meaning of Freedom
  • A Sea in Flames: The Deepwater Horizon Oil Blowout
  • A Job to Kill For (Lacy Fields, #2)
  • Washed and Waiting: Reflections on Christian Faithfulness and Homosexuality
Alexander Rae "Alec" Baldwin III is an Emmy- and Academy Award-nominated, and Golden Globe Award-winning, American actor. He is the eldest and most famous of the Baldwin brothers, and has starred in many movies and TV shows. He is also noted for having hosted Saturday Night Live multiple times. He is currently playing television executive Jack Donaghy in the NBC situation-comedy 30 Rock.
More about Alec Baldwin...

“[American family court] is a system that is corrupt on his best day. It is like being tied to the back of a pickup truck and dragged down a gravel late at night. No one can hear your cries and complaints and it is not over until they say it's over.” 10 likes