Start by marking “The Secret Apocalypse (Secret Apocalypse, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Apocalypse (Secret Apocalypse, #1)

The Secret Apocalypse (Secret Apocalypse #1)

Los Angeles
February 23rd

Sixteen year old Rebecca Robinson is the sole survivor of the Australian Apocalypse. The death toll is at an estimated 22 million. The entire world wants to know what happened down there and since the military aren’t talking, everyone is looking to Rebecca for answers.

Sydney, Australia
3 Weeks Earlier

A deadly new virus is spreading through an immigra
Published January 6th 2011 by Harben Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Apocalypse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Apocalypse

Felicia A
This book was OK, not horrible, not fabulous, and I really wish Goodreads would allow half ratings, because I'd probably give it 3.5, but not 4 stars. It was decently written (though could use an editing pass) and flows pretty well with a lot of action. It starts out with the lone survivor of the apocalypse of the entire country of Australia (a 16-ish year old American girl) reaching America and being hounded by reporters to tell her story.

Most of the rest of the book is the story of the beginni
Randy Harmelink
May 09, 2012 Randy Harmelink rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
Despite the number of reviews both here and on Amazon that mention numerous typographical and grammatical errors, I decided to give this book a chance. It's obviously been cleaned up since the early release, because I only noticed a handful of errors.

I enjoyed the book, but there wasn't really anything there that elevated the book beyond an average level. I don't think it really deserves either a 3 rating or a 4 rating, but about a 3.5.

Usually, I reserve 4+ ratings for books I can't put down. Bu
John Podlaski
Aug 09, 2013 John Podlaski rated it liked it
"The Secret Apocalypse" is a fast and entertaining read. This story is told through the eyes of a sixteen year old high-school girl; she is the sole survivor of the "Oz Virus" - a military weapons test that goes awry. The virus has mutated and and the vaccine is no longer effective. Ground zero can't be quarantined - the virus is spreading too fast via blood and saliva and troops are quickly overwhelmed by the attacking hoards of zombies. The military goes to great length to contain this epidemi ...more
Kathleen Miller
Jun 15, 2011 Kathleen Miller rated it did not like it
I bought this (via Kindle) on a whim, without digging too much past seeing that it had a good star rating and it was cheap. I did not realize it was a YA book. While the grown-ups of America seem enamored of YA fiction these days, I am not one of them. Too often a book written for teens reads like it's been written by a teen. Just because someone is under 18 they don't deserve well written fiction? Or do writers and publishers figure that their tastes aren't discerning enough yet to know the dif ...more
Rachel
My review of all books in the series up to and including book 6 is located under A World on Fire: Secret Apocalypse Book 6.
April Craig
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was fast paced and exciting and creepy! It was an easy read and I will definitely have to continue with the series to see what happens.
Debbie Scott
Dec 21, 2016 Debbie Scott rated it it was amazing
Haunting

It is so sad that I can imagine someone, somewhere can make a decision to make a virus like this and not worry about twenty-two million lives. I don't expect to see zombies running around but I can see someone making one that has no cure and letting it loose on the world. Thank you for a thought-provoking story, Danny Scott.
Tiffany Marie
Jan 31, 2017 Tiffany Marie rated it it was amazing
Great read

Just an all around great read. Can't wait to read more. Very edge of your seat with the action. Awesome.
Chad Beaudin
Jan 27, 2013 Chad Beaudin rated it liked it
Eleanor Luhar
Well, this was... an interesting read.

Reading on a laptop always messes up the whole concept of pages, but this is only meant to be 165 pages long and it took me over a month to read. That just isn't right.

I wanted to read this because the title was intriguing and, well, it was free. But I'm not likely to pay out for the rest of the series. (Sorry James Harden.)

So the protagonist, Rebecca, is being interviewed. She panics and ends up in the bathroom, recapping her entire experience on a notepad.
Anthony Fitzgerald
Jul 12, 2011 Anthony Fitzgerald rated it it was ok
I had a really hard time finishing this book. While the story was intriguing, the rampant grammatical errors and misspellings, as well as the author's writing style, kept me from being truly enthralled.

The majority of the book ended up being rather boring. A lot of this revolved around the way the author overdoes unnecessary dialogue. For example, if Rebecca (main character who essentially narrates this novel) says something like "they all started to argue about leaving", this is followed by ne
Megan
Jul 26, 2013 Megan rated it liked it
This was a fun, fast-paced, quick and easy read. It started a little slow but around 25% in it really picked up and was action packed for the rest.

Let's start with the good things about this book. The thing I liked most was that the back story of the virus was plausible. I could completely see why Australia would be used for a covert, secluded research and testing lab. I liked the different settings chosen to tell the story in, they all seemed like exactly the sort of places people in those sit
Shea
Jul 13, 2011 Shea rated it it was ok
Recommended to Shea by: Anthony Fitzgerald
Well, this is very clearly a debut sort of novel (available on Kindle for $2.99). It'd be an understatement to say that there are grammatical/spelling errors throughout the book; someone definitely should not have skimped on paying the proofreader.

That said, I like the concept of this novel. It reminds me of the B-list movie "A Day Without a Mexican" where the entire state of California is cut off from the rest of the world and made to deal with its situation alone. In [b]The Secret Apocalypse[/
Alasdair Martin
Aug 07, 2014 Alasdair Martin rated it did not like it
Pretty dire. Poorly written, monotone, tosh. I really tried but struggled to get to the end of chapter 1. The plot sounded fun, but from what little I read the author lacks any real writing talent, it was just flat ... the best way to describe it would be like a piece of music without any dynamics. Elements that ruined it? Talk of social media sounded like it was written by an aging relative, probably your gran. Then the notion that the government and WHO would order all the school's closed but ...more
Tammy K.
I give this book 3.5 stars.
I was able to pour through this book in a three hour sitting.
It started with a steady pace and built to an exciting ending.
I liked the characters and found the protagonist Rebecca to be likable, believable.
There were a few flaws to the book, a couple spelling/grammar issues, but not so that it took away from the enjoyment of the reading experience.
Also I felt that the villains were pretty predictable (stock character roles).
However over all I say the book was a good r
Sascha
Jun 23, 2016 Sascha rated it liked it
I picked this up for free on my Kindle without an iota of awareness of its plot or anything. It could have been doing with a huge edit! If something is said in direct speech, you don't need to then say it in your narrative, sometimes in the exact same phrasing!! Honestly this came up so many times I was kicking myself. (view spoiler) ...more
April
Jun 12, 2014 April rated it really liked it
I read this book through I found it fascinating and wondering what if? What if your government or the place you lived allowed a diseases to decimate just your country or place where you live? what if you were young, lost everything, knew nothing and yet just wanted to live to be able to get back to your home country? This book is a bit repetetive but you have to keep in mind its being told from the mindset of a 16 year old girl, in an apocalypse that has lost everything. When all is said and don ...more
Elizabeth
This is a solid debut, even though some of the particulars are a bit shaky here and there. It's a great premise - that one youthful girl is the only one to make it out alive.

The characters work well together overall, and the pace stays mostly consistent. There are a few small things that I didn't like - one of them being that the youngsters seemed to have abilities beyond their years at some point, and then be distinctly less mature later on - but that might also be a symptom of being a teen. It
Dana Burkey
Feb 19, 2014 Dana Burkey rated it really liked it
I have read a good bit of books with a end of the world/zombie theme, so I knew mostly what to expect when I read this one. It was well written, with decent characters, but for the most part there was not a tun of new stuff in it. I just found out it is a series, but I did not finish the book longing to read the next one, hence why I did not give it the full 5 stars. I did not dis-like it, it was just not my favorite. I think the characters were not quite developed enough for me to really care a ...more
Rachael Lopez
Apr 23, 2015 Rachael Lopez rated it it was amazing
Really gripping, definitely cancelled plans to finish this one. Immediately purchased the next 3 on my nook. Kinda hard to relate to the main character. She has extreme emotions which can be good but also seem juvenile at the same time. Might just be the author portraying her age but that's just something that stood out to me. Not huge on the horror and scares but great world building and setting up plot. I can feel Adrenaline being dumped into my system. Edge of your seat thriller. Really trans ...more
Katherine
Mar 17, 2014 Katherine rated it liked it
Pretty good story. It is a zombie book, but only in the background. Mostly it is about the government secrets taking place during the zombie apocalypse in Australia. And about a handful of friends trying to survive and get out of Sydney. You really only see zombies from afar, not a lot of closeup fighting. It's a good story that makes me want to keep reading, but I didn't pay close attention to see it is a series. I don't like waiting on stories, so I will probably put the rest of the series on ...more
Pam
Mar 31, 2013 Pam rated it liked it
Had the author taken advantage of a good editor, the book could have garnered four or more stars from me. I downloaded the latest version in March 2013, and the book is still rife with punctuation, capitalization, and grammar errors, and could use some professional help with crafting better narrative and characterization.

On the positive side, I always enjoy a good zombie apocalypse story, and this one kept my interest. The author also did a good job of raising the tension level through the book
Patiscynical
Jan 13, 2015 Patiscynical rated it liked it
Not bad for a zombie apocalypse book

I think this is geared towards teens and young adults, but it was still interesting. And it wasn't as angst ridden as so many are.
Rebecca and her friends are in Australia when the Oz virus gets out of control. What happens and how Rebecca escapes is detailed in this book.
I found it rather refreshing that the story didn't end in a major cliffhanger. This is book one of a series though, so not all storylines are resolved.

Results: pretty good.
Georgia
Apr 23, 2014 Georgia rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-2014
I'm really into sci-fi apocalyptic novels recently, and this is the first zombie apocalypse book I've read. the idea of a zombie apocalypse I used to find really boring and stupid, but now Im really into dystopian so this was a good read!

Its opened my range of books further, and I really want to read the sequel!
the ending was left good, with the reader wanting to know what would happen next. also it wasn't overly long which kept my interest better.
Debra Gardner
Feb 27, 2014 Debra Gardner rated it liked it
This was a fast-paced entertaining story that I really wish was just a little bit better. Even if the story is similar to other zombie stories out there, it still draws you in. The poor grammar and incorrect word usage was a little distracting. Many of the conversations between the main characters were wordy, lacked real emotion and at times felt unnecessary. I would give it 4 stars for the story line and 2 stars for the editing, or lack thereof, hence the final rating of 3 stars.
Lucas Darathy
Oct 06, 2015 Lucas Darathy rated it really liked it
Wow. So much happened! I actually really liked the characters and the flow of the story. Pretty great book, I recommended it. Not a zombie story, though. Which is cool for me, since I'm way more into "society has collapsed" scenarios.

I did see some minor mistakes, things that an editor would've caught. But truly minor. This has been a very pleasant surprise!
Dawn
May 19, 2014 Dawn rated it liked it
A decent evening read

A decent evening read

This book isn't very original, following the basic formula for any zombie apocalypse tale. It is short enough and written well enough to easily read in one evening. The lead in to the next book is interesting enough that I'm sure I'll purchase it in the next few days just to see where the series leads.
Chris
May 06, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. There are some minor grammatical, spelling and punctuation issues early on but after a few chapters they pretty much disappear. And while it is another in the long list of zombie novels out today, it has just enough small differences to keep it interesting.
Faye
Jun 15, 2011 Faye rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apocalypse-now
Really enjoyed this book, plenty of zombies, if you want YA/ Apocalyptic action you got it. Nice choice of setting - Australia, a worthy companion for the other YA antipodean book " Tomorrow when the War began"
Christina
Apr 25, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it
I really liked this book in spite of not knowing whats really going on. The writer keeps you as informed as the main chericters are so you learn as they do and its quite frustrating but again, this like your right there with them.
  • The Outbreak (The Sixth Extinction, #1)
  • Outbreak (The Zombie Chronicles, #1)
  • Area 187: Almost Hell
  • The Dead Road: Vol. 1 - Isolation
  • Skylight (Arcadium, #2)
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • The Onset (Contamination #1)
  • Necrophobia (Zombie Apocalypse #1)
  • Shock (Wildfire Chronicles Vol. 2)
  • Mace of the Apocalypse
  • First Light (After, #0.5)
  • Tankbread (Tankbread, #1)
  • Once Upon A Zombie Apocalypse- Jade
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 205
  • The Zombies: Volume One
  • The Ending Beginnings: Jake (The Ending, #0.4)
  • Within (LZR-1143, #1.5)

Secret Apocalypse (5 books)
  • Extinction Level (Secret Apocalypse Book 2)
  • Where The Dead Men Lie (Secret Apocalypse, #3)
  • Torn Apart (The Secret Apocalypse, #4)
  • Salvation (Secret Apocalypse, #5)