The Punisher MAX, Vol. 2: Kitchen Irish

The Punisher MAX, Vol. 2: Kitchen Irish (The Punisher MAX #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  940 ratings  ·  26 reviews
When a bomb explodes in a Hell's Kitchen pub, Frank Castle embarks on a deadly mission that pits him against two rival gangs. One thing is certain: The Punisher won't be pulling his punches! This work collects Punisher numbered 7-12.
Published December 7th 2005 by Marvel (first published December 2004)

Stephen
Ah…crap salad! This Garth Ennis offering left my disappointment level nestled somewhere between "that's it, really?"
Photobucket

and "how could you do this to me?"

Photobucket

Ennis is among my favorite comicers and he has scripted some of the best such work I’ve ever read (the Preacher series being a prime example). The man has got skills and I don’t mean to attaint his rep with my unenthused missing-the-pointment for this particular story arc. It didn’t work for me and I didn’t particularly care for it, but it also w...more
Sam Quixote
An old Irish mobster dies leaving behind warring Irish-related factions in New York's Hells Kitchen, a ragtag bunch of former IRA terrorists and new world gangsters, intent on tearing each other apart for unimagined riches. Caught in the crossfire is Frank Castle who gets roped in by Scotland Yard undercover ops whom he owes a favour. Let the bloodbath begin!

The book features a mainstay of Garth Ennis villains - the man with the horribly disfigured face. In Preacher it was the boy who failed to...more
Craig Williams
Let me begin by saying - I fucking love the Punisher. Rather, I love Garth Ennis's version of the Punisher. Under Ennis's stead, this book has been such an incredibly fun read. Garth Ennis perfectly understands the elements that make a Punisher story awesome: slow build up to a crazy, cathartic ending, where all the bad guys are slaughtered in creative, gory ways. I still can't understand why Hollywood has been unable to make a halfway decent movie - the formula is so simple.

Anyway, this volume...more
Phil
Garth Ennis's dark and gritty run on The Punisher continues with a story involving warring Irish gangs in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of Manhattan (hence the "Kitchen Irish" label). The Punisher becomes involved when a bomb intended to wipe out an enemy gang detonates prematurely, killing or injuring a dozen citizens. Looking to avenge those casualties, he comes into contact with an old ally from MI-6 and a British soldier, both searching for Irish terrorists involved in the bombing.

While th...more
Joe Young
Apr 18, 2011 Joe Young rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love violent vengeance-fueled justice
Recommended to Joe by: the internet
Garth Ennis - writer
Leandro Fernandez - artist

4/5 stars

A bomb explodes in a Hell's Kichen cafe that is one of the last remaining criminal hangouts for Irish gangsters who, before being muscled out by the Italian mafia, controlled all the criminal activities in the New York neighborhood. Frank Castle, AKA The Punisher, is on a stakeout in the cafe when the bomb explodes and narrowly escapes the blast. The fracas that follows is straight out of a Guy Ritchie movie as three different Irish gangs, t...more
Joseph
Given away (to Craig?)

Stupid sales. I only got started on this series because it was on sale, and while I can't say that it's bad enough not to want to know where the story goes, it's also not really interesting enough to want to buy the entire series.

The opening sequence, in which Frank barely survives a bomb explosion, is the book's (and so far, the series') strongest. You get to see a side of Frank other than the indestructible scourge of the criminal underworld, and for a character who seems...more
Mark Desrosiers
The Punisher goes against several nasty Irish gangs in Hell's kitchen. One of them is led by a genuine IRA terrorist whose face was blown off, another is led by "the baddest nigger ever came outta Dublin Town", and the other two are led by ballsy women -- equivalents of Flidais and Queen Medb I'm guessing.

Sounds confusing? Yes, it is, and I didn't enjoy the presence of a dull Brit copper to help out the Punisher in his battles, especially with his occasional pronunciamento about how the genius...more
Steven Gaskin
The Punisher is always a hard character for me to stick with through his trials, as he's an inherently unsympathetic character, and time spent in his company isn't usually pleasant. The first book in Ennis's run had the complexity of Frank Castle's relationship with Micro to sustain the human interest, but in this arc, Castle's surrounded by a collection of opponents so terminally abhorrent, it's hard to find a way in to this story. I've been assured that book 5 -The Slavers - is amazing, so I'm...more
Tamir Hason
A decent story with a nice ending.
CJ Louis
This is amazingly written and drawn, the story is well thought out and put together. I really respect that the story follows a timeline and does not change to allow things in. Once I picked the first issue up I could not put it back down, I had to keep reading. This was time well spent and I recommend this series to all comic book fans and non fans.
arjuna
Oh, I like this very much. Factional violence, jaded criminals, McGinty, torture, mayhem, politics, greed, bombs, and Frank Castle kicking arse because that's what he does. Ennis and Fernandez are a great team (even if Frank is essentially drawn as a mountain-of-muscle at times), and Dean White on colours gives it real clout. MORE PLEASE :)
Travis
Good story with a fun ending that I should have seen coming but didn't. Old man Nesbit for you. The Punisher is always awesome. My favorite scene is where an entire group of thugs who out number Frank 20 to 1 and their leader tells them to run away because it's the F**n punisher. That's notoriety for you, and it's awesome.
M
Franks targets a segment of the Irish mob in Hell's Kitchen for the second volume of his Max series. As an old mobster reaches the end of the line, rival factions look to take over his vacuum - only to draw the Punisher into the line of fire.
Sadeea
Feb 16, 2008 Sadeea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Aby
Shelves: graphic-novels
As a distant fan of The Punisher, I give Volume 2 of the MAX series an A+. The amazing graphics, classic Punisher dialouge combined with his sheer range makes this a "must read" by all graphic novel fans.
Timo
Oct 31, 2011 Timo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Whoa.... this edition has some of the best and dramatic action illustrations I have ever seen.
And the story ain't that bad either.
Rick Peterson
The story doesn`t pull any punches.It`s gritty and relevant to todays` world. Very well done, As with all his graphic novels.
Bader Al Shirawi
It has a good start but then I realized that the arc is over-rated. I've expected so much more. I'm stopping at volume 2.
Curtis Hempler
... just not as good as I was expecting it to be. I'm going to continue with this run, but I hope it gets better!
Max
Solid read, Totally within the marvel Universe's depiction of Frank Castle. Gotta love the Nick Fury Cameo.
Michael
Volume two is good, not a lot of Frank, but has an interesting Irish mob narrative.
Noel
Great story about the Punisher getting caught into a war between Irish gangs.
Justin Hughes
The worst part of an outstanding run.
Stephen
I'm loving this series.
  • PunisherMAX, Vol. 1: Kingpin
  • Moon Knight Volume 1: The Bottom
  • Daredevil, Vol. 15: The Devil, Inside and Out, Vol. 2
  • Daredevil, Vol. 6: Lowlife
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 11: Once Upon a Crime
  • Heaps of Ruination (The Goon #3)
  • Daredevil, Volume 2
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 0: Tales of Human Waste  (Transmetropolitan, #0)
  • Uncanny X-Force: The Dark Angel Saga, Book 2
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch...more
More about Garth Ennis...
Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas Preacher, Volume 2: Until the End of the World Preacher, Volume 3: Proud Americans Preacher, Volume 9: Alamo Preacher, Volume 6: War in the Sun