Start by marking “Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day” as Want to Read:
Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day

Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day

Not only can a plant-based diet be good for health, it can also be easy on the pocketbook. Learn how to forgo expensive processed foods and enjoy flavorful meals based on delicious, high quality basic ingredients. Author Ellen Jaffe Jones has scoured the shelves of popular supermarkets and big-box stores and calculated exactly how much it costs to eat healthfully and ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Book Publishing Company (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day

Lisa Vegan
Jul 04, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who want to cook inexpensive, healthy, and easy to make vegan food
I spent money on this book in the hope of saving some money on food. Not only do I think this book succeeded in helping with that goal, but I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that, overall, the recipes are very healthy. Most recipes do not call for oil, and of those that do, most list the oil as an optional ingredient. Salt is listed without amounts, leaving it to the cook to decide how much to add. Whole grains are used, something I particularly appreciated.

Quite a bit of interesting a
Ellen Jaffe  Jones
Jul 30, 2012 Ellen Jaffe Jones rated it it was amazing
I haven't totally learned online book review etiquette, and apologies if the author writing here is not playing by the rules. This book is my publisher's #1 seller and has been since it was printed in June (the date I saw on this site incorrectly says March--that's incorrect.)

For a $10 book, I can't imagine a better buy. I was a former Emmy-winning, National Press Club award-winning TV investigative reporter for 18 years who watched my mom, aunt and BOTH sisters get breast cancer, and so much m
Rebecca
Oct 30, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I will start off by saying that I am reviewing this without trying any of the recipes in the book. I got it for ideas on ways to use veggies in my bi-weekly produce share. I'm particularly interested in recipes that don't require me to purchase tons of ingredients on top of what I pay for my share. After reading this book, here are the reasons I like it.

1. The recipes seem solid, yet simple. You can always adjust the spices and flavors to fit your palate.
2. For any vegan or vegetarian cookbook,
Peacegal
Jul 26, 2012 Peacegal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Now this is more like it. I neither have many cooking skills nor much time to prepare meals, and I live in Armpit, WV--not some vegan-friendly West Coast paradise. I like this cookbook because the meals are all very inexpensive, simple--and aren't filled with mysterious ingredients you have to trek all over to find. More veg*n cookbooks need to be like this one.
Brenda
Nov 22, 2011 Brenda rated it really liked it
I'm not vegan and while I don't have plans for our family to make that total change any time soon, like any conscious omnivore, I do believe that can all stand to have a few more fruits and vegetables in our diets. Frankly, I find veganism a bit intimidating. Vegetarianism seems more doable (at least in includes dairy) so when I received a copy of Eat Vegan on $4 a day I was anxious to see how not only could I eat vegan, but do it inexpensively as well.

You see, there seems to be a misnomer that
Beth
Dec 29, 2012 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: vegan
Great for someone with little cooking experience or with limited access to a variety of produce. The recipes tend to be very basic, and I didn't like the "savings tip" to make more servings by adding extra water. I did like the soup recipes I've tried so far, but I modified them a bit to add more flavour. The best point for me was the emphasis on cooking beans and grains from scratch; it's definitely encouraged me to do it more often to save money and to teach me patience.
Mallory
Sep 03, 2013 Mallory rated it really liked it
I found a lot of good recipes in this book that will be easy to prepare and cost effective (hence the name of the book.) The pages in the beginning were also very informative, with tips on how to save money at the grocery store.
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Oct 21, 2011 Shellie (Layers of Thought) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone wanting a healthful diet and on a budget
A two vegan cookbook post including this book at Layers of Thought.

I give this book a 3.5 stars. Great information, budgeting suggestions, and recipes all in a thin paperback cookbook.
Lesley
Mar 11, 2015 Lesley rated it it was ok
Not what I expected and I only found 3 recipes that I wanted to try.
Mary Ellen
This is an excellent book and I highly recommend it!
Amanda
Jul 16, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
The idea of this book is great, but the execution is poor, particularly compared to other eat cheap vegan cookbooks. The recipes simply lack creativity and skimp on flavor.

The book features an interesting introduction on why veggies and fruits don’t get ad space, followed by chapters on financial planning for grocery shopping and veggie nutrition and cooking. Both of these chapters are kind of common sense, but I am fully aware a lot of adults, particularly young adults, are completely lacking i
Cheryl
Sep 19, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it
I am a little familiar with the Vegan lifestyle but not enough to call myself an expert. So when I heard about Eat Vegan on $4 a Day, I thought this was a book worth checking out. I knew that Vegan’s did not eat any animal based foods but didn’t really understand why. I do now. Mrs. Jones explains that animal based foods have been linked to cancer. This is because of the hormones, pesticides and other toxic chemicals that are injected into the animal’s food. Than there is the shellfish. Of ...more
Jul 15, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. I hoped for a lot more from this book. I get that they have a $4 budget per meal, but recipes such as the polenta one were ridiculous. It's basically boil water and stir...it's not rocket science and often comes on the package. The rest of the recipes are mostly soups, salads, smoothies and sides.

I have to admit. I only eat vegan or vegetarian a few times a week at most. I'm surrounded by many amazing vegan restaurants (even affordable ones!)...and when we do cook veg at home, we tend to us
Deb
Oct 23, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it
A good resource for cooking some simple and healthy vegan recipes with easy to find and inexpensive ingredients. There is nothing really fancy in this book but the good variety recipes are easy to follow and make it easy for the home cook. So far I have only tried the Delectable Lentil Soup--which was very good, but I have several others tagged to make.

Here's a link to my full review on my blog and the soup recipe:
Lori
Dec 15, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
It has been quite difficult for our family to make the transition over to a meatless and clean home without it completely killing our budget. This book wasn't anything earth-shattering, but it was chalk full of great ideas for dinners and grocery planning lists which enabled me to buy for a fraction of the cost.
Heidi
Sep 12, 2014 Heidi rated it really liked it
Looking for a way to save money and eat healthy this is a good start on what basics should be in your pantry, plus recipes. Was a bit heavy on the breads (so those gluten free this might not be a good choice for you) and was wishing for a bit more.
Anna
Jul 01, 2015 Anna rated it did not like it
To be honest... this book contains some of the worst tasting dishes I've ever tried... I really wanted this book to be good, because I love the concept, but I've given it many chances now, and I haven't been able to find a single recipe worth making agin... Sorry...
Cheryl
Sep 10, 2011 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Mostly simple yet nutritious recipes that do save money. Tabouli & tasty tacos were the ones tried so far. Not gourmet, few fancy ingredients but more flavorful and healthy than most convenience foods. Great to make 1 day/week for 2 days and for lunches.
John Esterly
Nov 22, 2014 John Esterly rated it it was amazing
Another great vegan cookbook. This one focuses on using staples like grain and beans to keep costs down. A number of recipes for everything from breakfast to desserts, plus a great intro about the health benefits of the vegan diet.
Kristin
It's a nice concept, but the recipes were pretty uninspired. I think it might be a good option for someone with little or no cooking experience.
Amy
Apr 30, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This book could serve as a useful introduction for those who are new at cooking with whole foods.
For recipes with more flavorful flair, I prefer Wild About Greens by Nava Atlas.
Vivian
Jul 03, 2013 Vivian rated it really liked it
Very helpful information and good recipes. Glad the library has it. I'll refer to it again and may want to purchase it.
Dana
Oct 30, 2012 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-health
Good budgeting information. The recipes use common ingredients. Could use more variety though. I would have liked to see snack ideas instead of so many salads and dressings.
Brandee
Brandee rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Kelly Whittaker
Kelly Whittaker rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
melodie b
melodie b rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2014
amanda may
amanda may rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2014
Brenda J. Martin21.j
Brenda J. Martin21.j rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Quick-Fix Vegan: Healthy, Homestyle Meals in 30 Minutes or Less
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • Vegan Holiday Kitchen: More than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: Veganize It!  Foolproof Methods for Transforming Any Dish into a Delicious New Vegan Favorite
  • Big Vegan
  • Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love
  • Caribbean Vegan: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion
  • Vegan Lunch Box Around the World: 125 Easy, International Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book