Start by marking “Does This Make My Assets Look Fat?: A Woman's Guide to Finding Financial Empowerment and Success” as Want to Read:

3.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  34 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
As Susan Hirshman sees it, the rules of successful dieting are the same rules that apply to successful money management. In this upbeat and informative guide she offers women a 3-phase personalized plan that follows common dieting programs to help them understand their finances.

The structure of the book is consistent with that of a typical diet book - it includes an evalua
Published August 30th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Does This Make My Assets Look Fat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Does This Make My Assets Look Fat?

Edina
Mar 28, 2016 Edina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Susan L. Hirshman was a managing director at a top global financial institution for most of her career. I felt a little overwhelmed once we got talking about hedge funds and mutual funds but I enjoyed the "five Ds" that could devastate your life and how to ameliorate that process.
Darcy
Apr 30, 2011 Darcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, non-fiction
I think myself a fairly savvy person with my money. But in the last few years life has taken me down a different road. I found this book to be easy to read and understand. Much of it were things that I knew, but it is always a good idea to revisit them again. If you think that you need to be smarter about your money this is a good book to check out.
Bree
I enjoyed this book because information was presented well and without bias toward one investment option over another. The full range of financial planning from accumulation to distribution was covered. This is a keeper.
Bob
Apr 02, 2012 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure why this book needs to be for women specifically. Maybe because they can relate to the diet analogy that permeates the book?

It starts off with some good analysis of an interesting example of how to not set your financial priorities: If you're being smart, paying off that relatively high interest student loan eventually probably isn't the best choice. And you do need to look at the cost of your decisions, rather than prioritizing according to what stuff you like most, and procrastinating
Juliana
Great comparison- money and diet - I hope to use the idea to loose weight because I have different financial ideas that works better for me than what the books says, very interesting and insightful book nonetheless.
Tina
Jan 16, 2011 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I could have done without the dieting analogies, Hirshman's book is a keeper. Good reference point for financial terminology.
Brandi Hammock
Brandi Hammock is currently reading it
May 25, 2016
Maya Rita
Maya Rita is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2016
B
B marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Craig Adamson
Craig Adamson marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Latoya Peterson
Latoya Peterson marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Puja
Puja marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Gina
Gina rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Laura Walsh
Laura Walsh rated it did not like it
Aug 25, 2015
Palmira
Palmira rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Michelle Kabat
Michelle Kabat marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Kiah
Kiah rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Vepa Gurbanov
Vepa Gurbanov is currently reading it
Apr 20, 2015
Bethany Wu
Bethany Wu rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Shan White
Shan White marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Mon
Mon added it
Aug 21, 2014
Deborah Goldstein
Deborah Goldstein rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Randy Friedlander
Randy Friedlander rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2014