Start by marking “Uptown Local and Other Interventions ” as Want to Read:
Uptown Local and Other Interventions

Uptown Local and Other Interventions

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Uptown Local features eleven long and short works from the last decade and beyond, including:

* In The Company of Heroes -- A billionaire "living the dream" goes on a desperate quest for the one thing he needs to make his life perfect: a very special comic book...
* The Rizzoli Bag -- A sad young man in a Roman cafe is offered a once-in-a-lifetime bargain...
* Out of the F
ebook
Published February 2011 by Badfort Press

To ask other readers questions about Uptown Local and Other Interventions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uptown Local and Other Interventions

Paul
Diane Duane's collection of short stories will please her fans. If you picked up "Uptown Local" for the title story, which is the only one in the book that features the main characters from her "Young Wizards" series, you may be a bit disappointed - I thought it was one of the weakest stories in the volume.

I loved many of the other stories in the book; "The Fix," "Herself" and "Bears" were particular favorites. Duane has a gift for creating new worlds and finding the inherent magic in real place
Ed
Oct 03, 2012 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
Ah, the future! I bought this directly from the author on her website. How cool is that?

So far, this has been really good. The opening story called The Fix about a boy who works in the Coliseum in Rome was a great piece of historical fiction with a fantastic element. I highly recommend it.
Audrey
Uptown Local is a shirt story collection by one of my favorite authors, Diane Duane. It contains various stories published before in various places separately, together in one book. The titular story, "Uptown Local," has always been one of my favorites because of the possibilities imagined by the main characters while riding the NYC subway...or a version of the subway, anyway. "The Rizzoli Bag" and a related story, "Out of the Frying Pan..." remind me of just how magical a good meal can be. "The ...more
John Kirk
This is certainly worth reading, although some of the stories are better than others. I mainly bought this for the Young Wizards story, but I think that's actually the weakest of the bunch: it seems to be aimed at a much younger audience than the rest of those novels, and I could imagine the characters being replaced by anthropomorphised animals. ("I'm bored" said Mr Bunny. "I know," said Mrs Hedgehog, "let's go and visit Mr Owl and see whether he can find an adventure for us!") Still, the rest ...more
Janet
I picked up this book because I've loved several of Diane Duane's Star Trek novels and was curious about her fantasy. She does not disappoint in this beautifully varied collection of short stories. "Bears" and "Herself" were my two favorites, but I enjoyed almost all of them.

I've never read the Young Wizards series, and I thought the title story was the weakest and least interesting. Fortunately, it's the last entry in the collection, otherwise I might not have gotten past it to the true jewels.
Particle_Person
A pretty good collection of short stories, although the ones near the end were the best of the bunch. Surprisingly, "Uptown Local" was not my favorite, although it was fun. I actually preferred "Herself," about a reporter investigating a murdered Leprechaun, and "Theobroma," about a wizard helping a chocolatier get her mojo back, to the title story.
Andrew
Collection of fantasy stories. A couple I've read before, a couple I haven't, a couple of wizards-universe stories, a couple of very-nearly-our-universe stories. And a couple that *don't* mention Switzerland. Includes "Uptown Local" and that thing with the bears, both long-time favorites of mine.
Michele Carter
Fun book of short stories. Probably essential for a Duane fan, less so if you're not...but why wouldn't you be?
Lys/Mac
I enjoyed this very much, though my enjoyment level varied story to story.
MB
Very enjoyable. Theobroma was my favorite.
Torie
Torie marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Jacq
Jacq added it
Nov 02, 2014
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Kit
Kit marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Beth O'Connell
Beth O'Connell marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Blaine
Blaine marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Evgeniya
Evgeniya marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Lucero
Lucero marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Morgaine
Morgaine marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Diane Duane has been a writer of science fiction, fantasy, TV and film for more than thirty years.
Besides the 1980's creation of the Young Wizards fantasy series for which she's best known, the "Middle Kingdoms" epic fantasy series, and numerous stand-alone fantasy or science fiction novels, her career has included extensive work in the Star Trek TM universe, and many scripts for live-action and a
More about Diane Duane...
So You Want to Be a Wizard (Young Wizards, #1) Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2) A Wizard Abroad (Young Wizards, #4) High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3) Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)