George Washington's War: The Saga of the American Revolution

George Washington's War: The Saga of the American Revolution

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  15 reviews
An exciting trip back in time to the American Revolution, "a reminder of what history can be when written by a master."--Publishers Weekly
Published August 24th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1992)

Ann
This is a very comprehensive and EXCELLENT account of the American Revolutionary War.I learned so much that I didn't know about most of the key players in the American Revolution through the author's very insiteful concise bios which he wove into the appropriate sections of the book. I came away from the reading of this book with a renewed respect and admiration for the sacrifices and sufferings of those who fought for our country's freedom and independence from the British. The key downfall of...more
Jeremy Perron
In America, it was once a common tradition to name wars after our leader at the time. During the colonial period, we had King William's War (War of the Grand Alliance), Queen Anne's War (War of Spanish Succession), and King George's War (War of Austrian Succession)*. After Independence, we still informally referred to conflicts by our leaders, Mr. Madison's War (War of 1812) or Mr. Polk's War (Mexican-American War). However, over time, this feel out of fashion and we started to refer to wars by...more
Daniel Rosenthal
I enjoyed this. And, it's a long one. Covers pretty much just the war and the back-story of all the major players. Loved learning about the motivations of Washington, Benedict Arnold, and the British commanders. The book does come off as very biased, he puts everyone in either a very positive or very negative light, but not a dry read at all.
Lynn
Very long, but an excellent comprehensive overview of the Revolutionary War. Leckie gives chapter-long bios of all the important figures on both sides, details the battles and occasionally detours into subjects such as the Continental Congress and Europe's view of the conflict. Sometimes he overdramatizes biographical background, but nevertheless, the overall work is solid. I learned a lot from this book.
Charles Cummings
You might be familiar with the author Robert Leckie as he is one of the people in the HBO series The Pacific. This is a 1 volume history of the American Revolutionary War, written chronologically and thematically. I liked the writing style. As it is a 1 volume instead, it isn't super detailed. However, it has certainly made me keen to read a full 3 volume set in the future, if a good one exists.
Adam Ziel
I think this was a good book that gives very big and comprehensive history of the revolutionary war. i also love how the author is not silent about his opinion adding much needed humor to the book. if the author is a history professor his classes must be amazing! Yeah, i wanted to know more and i learned alot while being emtertained.
Donald
This book is an exhaustive review of the American Revolution. Leckie takes the reader on a journey from the Fall of Quebec in 1759 to the final triumph in Yorktown 22 years later. He details the battles, the leaders, and the soldiers on both sides of the conflict.

A long read, but well worth the investment.
Paul
Excellent overview of the American Revolutionary War. It is told mostly has a military history, but it also includes interesting portraits of the people doing the fighting & the leading. It ends a bit abruptly with the American victory at Yorktown, but that's appropriate since that was the end of the fighting.
Nick Monroe
An amazing author. He really knows how to bring history to life by using brutal honesty and humanizing those who have been immortalized in American history. Love this book and all that I've read from Robert Leckie. A great American.
Christopher Valin
This isn't as good as Bobrick's Angel in the Whirlwind, but nothing else I've read is either. The strong point of Leckie's book is the excellent mini-bigraphies that round out each section.
Craig
I put it down on page 322 as I needed to focus on a different era. Great story-telling look at American Revolution. Easy to read, but pretty thorough.
Steve
Another outstanding Leckie book, great narrative, detailed facts on all levels. Enjoyable yet educational and insightful.
Megan
The best book about the American Revolution I have ever read. Extremely comprehensive.
Mark R. McCallum
Well told look at our Founding Father's generalship.
Mericanach
Very readable, but excessively pro-American in content.
John Gazzelli
John Gazzelli marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Pafifi
Pafifi marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Leckie was born on December 18, 1920, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He grew up in Rutherford, New Jersey. He began his career as a writer in high school, as a sports writer for ''The Bergen Evening Record'' in Hackensack, New Jersey.

On January 18, 1942, Leckie enlisted in the United States Marine Corps.He served in combat in the Pacific theater, as a scout and a machine gunner in H Company, 2nd B...more
More about Robert Leckie...
Helmet for My Pillow Okinawa: The Last Battle of World War II Strong Men Armed: The United States Marines Against Japan Delivered from Evil: The Saga of World War II Challenge for the Pacific: Guadalcanal: The Turning Point of the War