Start by marking “George Washington's War: The Saga of the American Revolution” as Want to Read:
George Washington's War: The Saga of the American Revolution

George Washington's War: The Saga of the American Revolution

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  253 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
An exciting trip back in time to the American Revolution, "a reminder of what history can be when written by a master."--Publishers Weekly
Published August 24th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about George Washington's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Washington's War

Jeremy Perron
Aug 07, 2011 Jeremy Perron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In America, it was once a common tradition to name wars after our leader at the time. During the colonial period, we had King William's War (War of the Grand Alliance), Queen Anne's War (War of Spanish Succession), and King George's War (War of Austrian Succession)*. After Independence, we still informally referred to conflicts by our leaders, Mr. Madison's War (War of 1812) or Mr. Polk's War (Mexican-American War). However, over time, this feel out of fashion and we started to refer to wars by ...more
Michael
Apr 05, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Robert Leckie book. After reading and enjoying "A Few Acres of Snow: the Saga of the French and Indian Wars" I found that the author had written books on most of the conflicts of America and decided to read them as a series. (The only American War on which he seems not to have written is the Spanish American war which might be included in his book on WWI.)

I like Leckie's writing style. He is a knight of the old code who uses adjectives as they were meant to be used, to actuall
Ann
Dec 29, 2009 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very comprehensive and EXCELLENT account of the American Revolutionary War.I learned so much that I didn't know about most of the key players in the American Revolution through the author's very insiteful concise bios which he wove into the appropriate sections of the book. I came away from the reading of this book with a renewed respect and admiration for the sacrifices and sufferings of those who fought for our country's freedom and independence from the British. The key downfall of ...more
Daniel Rosenthal
Jan 11, 2014 Daniel Rosenthal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I enjoyed this. And, it's a long one. Covers pretty much just the war and the back-story of all the major players. Loved learning about the motivations of Washington, Benedict Arnold, and the British commanders. The book does come off as very biased, he puts everyone in either a very positive or very negative light, but not a dry read at all.
Charles K. MacKay
A detailed and eminently readable history

... Of the American Revolution. Replete with facts yet readable. The only thing it omits is the madness of King George, whose porphyria undoubtedly had an effect on the outcome.
Lynn
Apr 06, 2012 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Very long, but an excellent comprehensive overview of the Revolutionary War. Leckie gives chapter-long bios of all the important figures on both sides, details the battles and occasionally detours into subjects such as the Continental Congress and Europe's view of the conflict. Sometimes he overdramatizes biographical background, but nevertheless, the overall work is solid. I learned a lot from this book.
Charles Cummings
You might be familiar with the author Robert Leckie as he is one of the people in the HBO series The Pacific. This is a 1 volume history of the American Revolutionary War, written chronologically and thematically. I liked the writing style. As it is a 1 volume instead, it isn't super detailed. However, it has certainly made me keen to read a full 3 volume set in the future, if a good one exists.
Riley
Mar 28, 2015 Riley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A excellent and through anaylsis of the reasons, and major players, and actors of Americas war for independence, excellent book.
Adam Ziel
Jul 30, 2013 Adam Ziel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this was a good book that gives very big and comprehensive history of the revolutionary war. i also love how the author is not silent about his opinion adding much needed humor to the book. if the author is a history professor his classes must be amazing! Yeah, i wanted to know more and i learned alot while being emtertained.
Donald
This book is an exhaustive review of the American Revolution. Leckie takes the reader on a journey from the Fall of Quebec in 1759 to the final triumph in Yorktown 22 years later. He details the battles, the leaders, and the soldiers on both sides of the conflict.

A long read, but well worth the investment.
Paul
Mar 31, 2009 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war, history
Excellent overview of the American Revolutionary War. It is told mostly has a military history, but it also includes interesting portraits of the people doing the fighting & the leading. It ends a bit abruptly with the American victory at Yorktown, but that's appropriate since that was the end of the fighting.
Nick Monroe
Jul 27, 2012 Nick Monroe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing author. He really knows how to bring history to life by using brutal honesty and humanizing those who have been immortalized in American history. Love this book and all that I've read from Robert Leckie. A great American.
Christopher Valin
Nov 15, 2009 Christopher Valin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't as good as Bobrick's Angel in the Whirlwind, but nothing else I've read is either. The strong point of Leckie's book is the excellent mini-bigraphies that round out each section.
Craig
Oct 22, 2010 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I put it down on page 322 as I needed to focus on a different era. Great story-telling look at American Revolution. Easy to read, but pretty thorough.
Steve
May 07, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-read
Another outstanding Leckie book, great narrative, detailed facts on all levels. Enjoyable yet educational and insightful.
Megan
Jul 30, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
The best book about the American Revolution I have ever read. Extremely comprehensive.
YuvalAmbar
Mar 21, 2016 YuvalAmbar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was magnificent with the detail of the war with some backgrounds
Mark R. McCallum
Mar 07, 2013 Mark R. McCallum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Well told look at our Founding Father's generalship.
Mericanach
Very readable, but excessively pro-American in content.
Emory Dunn
Emory Dunn marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Longhuang
Longhuang rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Lisa Carrozza
Lisa Carrozza marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
  • The Winter Soldiers: The Battles for Trenton and Princeton
  • A Leap in the Dark: The Struggle to Create the American Republic
  • A Struggle for Power: The American Revolution
  • Adopted Son: Washington, Lafayette, and the Friendship that Saved the Revolution
  • Writings
  • Miracle at Philadelphia: The Story of the Constitutional Convention, May to September 1787
  • The Drillmaster of Valley Forge: The Baron de Steuben and the Making of the American Army
  • The Perils of Peace: America's Struggle for Survival After Yorktown
  • Writings
  • Benedict Arnold: Patriot and Traitor
  • Samuel Adams: Father of the American Revolution
  • For Liberty and Glory: Washington, Lafayette, and Their Revolutions
  • Washington
  • Angel in the Whirlwind: The Triumph of the American Revolution
  • Paul Revere's Ride
  • Voyagers to the West: A Passage in the Peopling of America on the Eve of the Revolution
  • The American Revolution
  • John Adams: Party of One
Leckie was born on December 18, 1920, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He grew up in Rutherford, New Jersey. He began his career as a writer in high school, as a sports writer for ''The Bergen Evening Record'' in Hackensack, New Jersey.

On January 18, 1942, Leckie enlisted in the United States Marine Corps.He served in combat in the Pacific theater, as a scout and a machine gunner in H Company, 2nd B
More about Robert Leckie...