Start by marking “32 Cadillacs.” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
32 Cadillacs.

Joe Gores

32 Cadillacs. (DKA File #4)

Joe Gores worked the beat as a private eye and learned about crime and punishment up-close. Like Ed McBain, he goes beyond one-character detective fiction to feature a team of savvy sleuths. Here the Dan Kearny Associates target the baddest bunch of con artists and thieves this side of Romania: the Gypsies.
Published (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about 32 Cadillacs., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 32 Cadillacs.

Glenn Bruce
Sep 11, 2013 Glenn Bruce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was thinking about this book yesterday. I read it quite some time ago, but have to say it is one of most fun detective reads ever. The author was a real detective and worked on a similar case as I recall. He was an expert in American gypsies and it shows. The details about their lives and scams are intriguing, dark and just plain weird. He reveals several of their most common scams throughout this hilarious story of some detectives trying to recover (you guessed it) 32 (stolen) Cadillacs - in ...more
Jrobertus
I recently read "Spade and Archer" and loved it. This novel is about a repo firm, trying to recover 32 Caddies scammed from dealerships in California by Gypsies. The story is based on an actual event, although the personal stories are, I'm sure, highly embellished. GOres is playing for laughs here, with ironic sub plots among the investigators and the Gypsy bands. It is pretty fun, but many of the incidents are so improbable that I could not buy into the story.
Cait
Sep 05, 2010 Cait rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book might have been twice as good, if there had been half as many Cadillacs.
Doug
Nov 03, 2012 Doug rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
32 Cadillacs opens with a preface in which Joe Gores claims that the bones of the titular scheme, in which hapless Bay Area dealerships are confidence-tricked out of a boatload of caddies, are rooted in his real-world repoman experiences. And he cautions the easily offended that they’ll find plenty of fodder, but that he can’t “sanitize the tough and lively world” he writes of.

My reactions were extremely mixed. Many of the grifts Gores details are entertaining, and even edifying. Gores’ prose i
Michael
Is there really a nationwide network of Gypsy con-men, pickpockets, and thieves that trace their trade back hundreds of years to Europe? A people called the "Rom"? I don't know. But I've heard of this before in another context, believe it or not. These people are famous, hereditary members of the circus. And that tradition is very old, ancient if you count Rome. As the Gypsies have stolen 32 Cadillacs at once, the story involves the people who repossess cars too. Which seems an almost equally lo ...more
Wayne Zurl
This is the second Joe Gores book I've read in the last year, the last being SPADE & ARCHER. I would have given 32 CADILLACS 3 1/2 stars, except for three reasons. It took a bit of time to get down to the light-hearted private-eye procedural it became almost 1/3 of the way into the book, I didn't get to know the characters until about then, and I wish Joe had written the book with at least 25% less words. BUT, I did like the story. It was very well thought out and some of the information abo ...more
Marcus with a C
Apr 22, 2012 Marcus with a C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marcus with a C by: Christian Walter
Shelves: german, crime, borrowed, 2012
I got this book lent by my neighbour. I admit I would not have bought the book based in the back cover story. It's all about the king of Roma travellers giving out his last wish requesting to be driven to his own funeral in the same car that he used for his crowning ceremony. And then the story begins. Is splitting into several other leads, to come together again in a somewhat surprising end.
Personally there were a few stories that were not needed or were ending in too many detail. Coming to th
James
Aug 02, 2010 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, crime
I started off enjoying this book as a solid three star with all the different cons and shenanigans in terms of stealing and restealing the cars. As the book went on though the plot got just got more wooden and repetitive and began to lose all link to credibility. The one shared chapter with Westlake was a highlight but not enough to rescue the book from 2 stars. Also this book pretty much recycles every single cliche about the roma there is.
Tom
Jul 18, 2012 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A caper novel in the vein of Donald E. Westlake's Dortmunder series. In fact, This volume is linked with Westlake's Drowned Hopes. A scene involving both authors' characters was laid out, and each author wrote the scene from their characters' point of view. The plot involves Gores's DKA team recovering 32 stolen Cadillacs.
Calton Bolick
Comic detective romp as the repo agents of Daniel Kearney Associates race to recover 32 Cadillacs stolen by gypsys in a single day from San Francisco Bay Area car dealers. Contains a bonus plot intersection with Donald E. Westlake's "Drowned Hopes."
Karl
Aug 17, 2011 Karl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty fun that it shares a chapter with Donald Westlake's Drowned Hopes. (One of my long-time favorite books.)
Dave
Feb 05, 2014 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining but too long. His treatment of Gypsies and other minorities is intense, maybe with an element of truth?
Mark Wright
Enjoyed the San Francisco locations, but struggled to stay interested in the story. Too many chacters to keep track of. One has a speech impediment that renders his dialog nearly unreadable.
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2008
Edward
Edward rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2008
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2011
Ralph
Ralph rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2012
charlie
charlie rated it liked it
May 31, 2007
Tristan
Tristan rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2009
Bryanna Rusher
Bryanna Rusher rated it liked it
May 15, 2011
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Carlynne
Carlynne rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Martin Grandahl
Martin Grandahl rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2014
Eric Neff
Eric Neff rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2016
Caroline
Caroline rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2011
Peer Nyberg
Peer Nyberg rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2008
Federico
Federico rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2017
Fred
Fred rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Jim Loehr
Jim Loehr rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
JOE GORES is the author of the acclaimed DKA series of street-level crime and detection, as well as the stunning suspense novels Dead Man and Menaced Assassin. Born in 1931, he served in the U.S. Army-writing biographies of generals at the Pentagon-was educated at the University of Notre Dame and Stanford, and spent twelve years as a San Francisco private investigator. The author of dozens of nove ...more
More about Joe Gores...

DKA File (6 books)
  • Dead Skip (DKA File, #1)
  • Final Notice (DKA File, #2)
  • Gone, No Forwarding (DKA File, #3)
  • Contract Null & Void (DKA File, #5)
  • Cons, Scams & Grifts (DKA File, #6)