Blank-133x176
32 Cadillacs.

Joe Gores

32 Cadillacs. (DKA File #4)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Joe Gores worked the beat as a private eye and learned about crime and punishment up-close. Like Ed McBain, he goes beyond one-character detective fiction to feature a team of savvy sleuths. Here the Dan Kearny Associates target the baddest bunch of con artists and thieves this side of Romania: the Gypsies.
Published (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about 32 Cadillacs., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 32 Cadillacs.

Glenn Bruce
I was thinking about this book yesterday. I read it quite some time ago, but have to say it is one of most fun detective reads ever. The author was a real detective and worked on a similar case as I recall. He was an expert in American gypsies and it shows. The details about their lives and scams are intriguing, dark and just plain weird. He reveals several of their most common scams throughout this hilarious story of some detectives trying to recover (you guessed it) 32 (stolen) Cadillacs - in...more
Jrobertus
I recently read "Spade and Archer" and loved it. This novel is about a repo firm, trying to recover 32 Caddies scammed from dealerships in California by Gypsies. The story is based on an actual event, although the personal stories are, I'm sure, highly embellished. GOres is playing for laughs here, with ironic sub plots among the investigators and the Gypsy bands. It is pretty fun, but many of the incidents are so improbable that I could not buy into the story.
Doug
32 Cadillacs opens with a preface in which Joe Gores claims that the bones of the titular scheme, in which hapless Bay Area dealerships are confidence-tricked out of a boatload of caddies, are rooted in his real-world repoman experiences. And he cautions the easily offended that they’ll find plenty of fodder, but that he can’t “sanitize the tough and lively world” he writes of.

My reactions were extremely mixed. Many of the grifts Gores details are entertaining, and even edifying. Gores’ prose i...more
Michael
Is there really a nationwide network of Gypsy con-men, pickpockets, and thieves that trace their trade back hundreds of years to Europe? A people called the "Rom"? I don't know. But I've heard of this before in another context, believe it or not. These people are famous, hereditary members of the circus. And that tradition is very old, ancient if you count Rome. As the Gypsies have stolen 32 Cadillacs at once, the story involves the people who repossess cars too. Which seems an almost equally lo...more
Wayne Zurl
This is the second Joe Gores book I've read in the last year, the last being SPADE & ARCHER. I would have given 32 CADILLACS 3 1/2 stars, except for three reasons. It took a bit of time to get down to the light-hearted private-eye procedural it became almost 1/3 of the way into the book, I didn't get to know the characters until about then, and I wish Joe had written the book with at least 25% less words. BUT, I did like the story. It was very well thought out and some of the information abo...more
Marcus with a C
May 15, 2012 Marcus with a C rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marcus with a C by: Christian Walter
Shelves: crime, german, borrowed, 2012
I got this book lent by my neighbour. I admit I would not have bought the book based in the back cover story. It's all about the king of Roma travellers giving out his last wish requesting to be driven to his own funeral in the same car that he used for his crowning ceremony. And then the story begins. Is splitting into several other leads, to come together again in a somewhat surprising end.
Personally there were a few stories that were not needed or were ending in too many detail. Coming to th...more
Dave
Very entertaining but too long. His treatment of Gypsies and other minorities is intense, maybe with an element of truth?
James
I started off enjoying this book as a solid three star with all the different cons and shenanigans in terms of stealing and restealing the cars. As the book went on though the plot got just got more wooden and repetitive and began to lose all link to credibility. The one shared chapter with Westlake was a highlight but not enough to rescue the book from 2 stars. Also this book pretty much recycles every single cliche about the roma there is.
Tom
A caper novel in the vein of Donald E. Westlake's Dortmunder series. In fact, This volume is linked with Westlake's Drowned Hopes. A scene involving both authors' characters was laid out, and each author wrote the scene from their characters' point of view. The plot involves Gores's DKA team recovering 32 stolen Cadillacs.
Calton Bolick
Comic detective romp as the repo agents of Daniel Kearney Associates race to recover 32 Cadillacs stolen by gypsys in a single day from San Francisco Bay Area car dealers. Contains a bonus plot intersection with Donald E. Westlake's "Drowned Hopes."
Mark Wright
Enjoyed the San Francisco locations, but struggled to stay interested in the story. Too many chacters to keep track of. One has a speech impediment that renders his dialog nearly unreadable.
Karl
Pretty fun that it shares a chapter with Donald Westlake's Drowned Hopes. (One of my long-time favorite books.)
Jim
San Francisco setting. Brisk pace, great characters and compelling story with twists.
Cait
This book might have been twice as good, if there had been half as many Cadillacs.
Nicholas Shea
Nicholas Shea marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Delores Alger
Delores Alger marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Cindy Barnett
Cindy Barnett marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Anthony Nesbitt
Anthony Nesbitt marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
JOE GORES is the author of the acclaimed DKA series of street-level crime and detection, as well as the stunning suspense novels Dead Man and Menaced Assassin. Born in 1931, he served in the U.S. Army-writing biographies of generals at the Pentagon-was educated at the University of Notre Dame and Stanford, and spent twelve years as a San Francisco private investigator. The author of dozens of nove...more
More about Joe Gores...
Spade & Archer: The Prequel to Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon Hammett Dead Skip (DKA File, #1) Final Notice (DKA File, #2) Gone, No Forwarding (DKA File, #3)