Whispers in the Dark

Whispers in the Dark

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In this second chilling novel by Jonathan Aycliffe, orphaned Charlotte Metcalf arrives on the doorstep of her relatives, the mysterious Ayrtons, in the hope of locating her younger brother Arthur. Their home, Barras Hall, is at first a welcome refuge, until Charlotte realizes that the manor has become her prison, and that she is surrounded by a horror she cannot escape.
Published May 15th 1993 by HarperTorch (first published November 19th 1992)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Jenna **Dreams**
Yup, loved this book! Same author who wrote one of my all time favorite books has delivered another stunning one! I would say all in all I enjoyed it just as much but in a different way. It didn't scare me like Naomi's Room, but it was still just as fantastic. I wish there was a bit more description on a couple things, but that would never keep me from giving it a 5 star review. Jonathan Aycliffe may very well be my new favorite author!!
Terralyn Gauthier
I really liked this book. I liked the time period of the setting and the fact that the author was very detailed in explaining customs, dress, surroundings associated with that era.
This is my first time reading a book in the gothic genre and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't so horrific that it would be classified as a thriller, but it definitely was creepy at times!
Amanda
Maggie White
Good old fashioned ghost story. Loved the atmospheric writing.
Story of a young girl whose family fall on hard times and she ends up in the workhouse. She eventually goes to find her only relatives and they invite her to stay. All is not what it seems however.
Sheila
A great horror story--I liked it almost as much as Naomi's Room. This is a very traditional gothic, with almost Lovecraftian plot elements.
Kristen
Very readable and gripping gothic novel, with an unsatisfyingly vague ending similar to those of several other novels by Mr. Aycliffe.
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Kimberley Potter
Kimberley Potter marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Christine Blaich
Christine Blaich marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Sarah added it
Jun 10, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Angel Gelique
Angel Gelique marked it as to-read
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Kelly Lawrence
Kelly Lawrence marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
aka Daniel Easterman

Jonathan Aycliffe was born in Belfast in 1949. He studied English, Persian, Arabic and Islamic studies at the universities of Dublin, Edinburgh and Cambridge, and lectured at the universities of Fez in Morocco and Newcastle upon Tyne. The author of several successful full-length ghost stories, he lives in the north of England with his wife, homeopath and health writer, Beth Mac...more
More about Jonathan Aycliffe...
Naomi's Room The Lost The Matrix The Vanishment The Silence of Ghosts