Start by marking “Whispers in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Whispers in the Dark

Whispers in the Dark

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In this second chilling novel by Jonathan Aycliffe, orphaned Charlotte Metcalf arrives on the doorstep of her relatives, the mysterious Ayrtons, in the hope of locating her younger brother Arthur. Their home, Barras Hall, is at first a welcome refuge, until Charlotte realizes that the manor has become her prison, and that she is surrounded by a horror she cannot escape.
Published May 15th 1993 by HarperTorch (first published November 19th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Whispers in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispers in the Dark

Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Jenna ☁☁Dreams☁☁
Yup, loved this book! Same author who wrote one of my all time favorite books has delivered another stunning one! I would say all in all I enjoyed it just as much but in a different way. It didn't scare me like Naomi's Room, but it was still just as fantastic. I wish there was a bit more description on a couple things, but that would never keep me from giving it a 5 star review. Jonathan Aycliffe may very well be my new favorite author!!
Susan
I was introduced to this writer by a Goodread's friend sometime ago.

I enjoy Johnathan Aycliffe's work. He has an easy undemanding style and unfailingly delivers a good spooky tale told in the best Gothic-horror tradition.

This is the story of Charlotte, born in the late 19th century to a prosperous and loving family, that falls into penury and despair following the death of her father. Finally forced to present themselves to the workhouse, Charlotte is separated from her beloved brother and witne
Terralyn Gauthier
I really liked this book. I liked the time period of the setting and the fact that the author was very detailed in explaining customs, dress, surroundings associated with that era.
This is my first time reading a book in the gothic genre and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't so horrific that it would be classified as a thriller, but it definitely was creepy at times!
Colin
Pretty good read. Elegantly written and atmospheric. Not particularly scary though.
Amanda
Maggie White
Good old fashioned ghost story. Loved the atmospheric writing.
Story of a young girl whose family fall on hard times and she ends up in the workhouse. She eventually goes to find her only relatives and they invite her to stay. All is not what it seems however.
Sheila
A great horror story--I liked it almost as much as Naomi's Room. This is a very traditional gothic, with almost Lovecraftian plot elements.
Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym)
Very readable and gripping gothic novel, with an unsatisfyingly vague ending similar to those of several other novels by Mr. Aycliffe.
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Clint Greagen
Clint Greagen is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Badona Brahma
Badona Brahma marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Hhkk Jui
Hhkk Jui marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Claire
Claire added it
Sep 02, 2014
Tammy Wooding
Tammy Wooding marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Mila
Mila marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
aka Daniel Easterman

Jonathan Aycliffe was born in Belfast in 1949. He studied English, Persian, Arabic and Islamic studies at the universities of Dublin, Edinburgh and Cambridge, and lectured at the universities of Fez in Morocco and Newcastle upon Tyne. The author of several successful full-length ghost stories, he lives in the north of England with his wife, homeopath and health writer, Beth Mac
More about Jonathan Aycliffe...
Naomi's Room The Matrix The Lost The Vanishment The Silence of Ghosts