Start by marking “Whatever You Say I Am: The Life And Times Of Eminem” as Want to Read:
Whatever You Say I Am: The Life And Times Of Eminem

Whatever You Say I Am: The Life And Times Of Eminem

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  499 ratings  ·  44 reviews
does eminem matter?
On assignment for his first cover story for Rolling Stone, the very first national cover story on Eminem, Anthony Bozza met a young blond kid, a rapper who would soon take the country by storm. But back in 1999, Eminem was just beginning to make waves among suburban white teenagers as his first single, "My Name Is," went into heavy rotation on MTV.
Who
Published 2004 by Corgi Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Whatever You Say I Am, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whatever You Say I Am

Hunger For Knowledge
A book that would of have worked better as an article in a music magazine. This is not a book about Eminem but rather a book about society and its reaction toward Eminem, his music and character.

This is an interesting read in its own way. It does offer articles, reviews, opinions that are written on newspapers as much as some history behind rap culture and society itself.

However, it is too much mixed soup and most importantly doesn't really offer much treats for a person who wanted to read this
Bill
I have only managed to see Eminem live once, at the Reading Festival, I think around 2003 or thereabouts. I was expecting something really great but I was a little disappointed. But I have remained a fan

I have had this book for quite a while and finally got around to reading it. It's an excellent view of both his early life and his early rap success. If you're a fan of Mr Mathers you've probably already read this, if you haven't then I recommend that you do!
Librariasaurus
There is way too much in this book that is not about Eminem. Plainly and simply, you can tell that Anthony Bozza wrote for Rolling Stone. This book has that high-brow rock journalism trying to be more than it needs to be air about it. Bozza includes copius amounts of information on the history of Detroit's motor industry, racial politics, feminism etc that don't relate to the story of Eminem but to the attitudes of wider America.
Bozza wrote this book by beginning each chapter with an anecdote a
Jimmy  Garner
Anthony Bozza wrote a biography on the artist Eminem A.K.A Marshall Bruce Mathers III A.K.A Slim Shady. Bozza depicts the life of the artist through his personal experiences. As well as he captures the view of Eminem through the eyes of those who know him well such as Paul Rosenburg (Music Industry Producer) and through articles and magazines like New York Times and the Rolling Stones. The biography goes in depth of the Artists accomplishments; Lose Yourself, 8 Mile and Eminem’s Grammy awards. N ...more
Renee
Aug 22, 2007 Renee rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to know why Lynn Chenny's knickers are in a knot
The author, Anthony Bozza has interviewed Eminem countless time for Spin, Rolling Stone and other highly creditable magazines. In addition, he has spent days on end touring and getting to know Eminem in his world; mostly 8 Mile Road, Double-wide in Detroit. I say this because it makes the book very creditable and a very good read.
With this said, "Curtain Call" was the very first CD I downloaded on my IPOD some years back and I never looked back. Get past the woman bashing, and harsh language (s
Kitt-e-kat
I was so bored reading this book. The author is a writer from Rolling Stones Magazine and was on the road alot with EM. When I start a book I have to finish it and it seemed like months I finally finished reading it. It took forever to keep picking up the book to read and finish it. If you like EM and you want to read about him, I don't recommend this one. It's a bore!
Justin Nichols
Decent biography. A bit sloppy with the presentation and organization. Jumped around too much. Good quotes by notable writers and music artists. I think I'd like to find an updated Eminem bio, and one done a little better.
Armando
Not really what I had expected but still interesting. I thought there would be more information about his life and his infamous rise to the top of the hip hop scene. Instead there is lots of general information about hip hop and various other topics. Can't recommend this book personally...
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
Whether or not you like his music, you have to admit he's a prominent figure in the rap music industry and pushes boundaries with his antisocial antics. As I expected, eminem's story is pretty interesting and this biography (published 2004) makes for a good read.
Dylan Attuil
I gave this book a two star rating because it was okay. Eminem's stories were sad yet interesting but this book was kind of boring sometimes just talking about him and his family. It was pretty much all about the same things, either rap or his house getting robbed.
Janne Paananen
Ensalkuun vaikutti aivan erinomaiselta opukselta. Bozza tyylilleen uskollisena taustoittaa ylipäänsä räpin historiaa kirjassa tosi paljon. Välillä tuntui, että itse Eminem puhuukin kirjassa yllättävän vähän ja Bozza paneutuu enemmänkin räpin historiaan, sen vaikutukseen yhteiskuntaan yms. Ja sen hän tekeekin ansiokkaasti. Kirjan huonoin puoli onkin oikeastaa se, että eihän se kata kuin Eminemin kaksi ensimmäistä levyä, 8 Mile elokuvan ja sen soundtrackin. Eli kirja on kirjoitettu varsin varhaise ...more
Hayley
More on what effect Em had on America and society and the music industry rather than his life..there was quotes and anecdotes from his life, but mostly the effect he had rather than him.
Angela Martelli
Overall, I really didn't like this book. I thought it would be interesting because Eminem has such an interesting life, but the book was actually extremely boring. There was pages and pages of facts, and a lot of the time they had nothing to do with Eminem. I wish the author would have talked more about Eminem's early childhood rather than focus entirely on his later career. This book was difficult to read because it was so boring, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Ives
Personally, I have no favourites over rappers, but I believe that Eminem has an unique style when it comes to rapping. I used to like his songs and I was always up to date with him and his name switches, Marshall to Slim Shady, to Eminem, all that. This is a biography on Eminem's history and how he grew up to be the person he is. It's interesting for people who love rap and are interested in learning more about them.
John
book on eminem! great rapper. white boyy! love m. anthony bozza tells a lot about his life. how he came up. his trials and errors. he interviewed him a lot. i love rap. and to hear that even though you can make it through all the things that eminem did, it shows that anything is possible. even if you have problems with your mother AND father, you can still get yourself up there and fulfill your dreams.
Mati
Dec 17, 2007 Mati rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mark, Tracy
The inside strength that people have to survive from any problem, and to fight to reach their goals is the one who move them to find their own track in the world. It doesn't matter who you are or where you come from. Could be a better book if Eminem will be the author of his own biography.Great book to understand why young people likes Eminem songs.
Audrey Cornu
Oct 09, 2007 Audrey Cornu rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Eminem fans
Gives me much info about one of the most sensational rapper and needless to say, my favorite one.

Bozza tells us about his journey, his past, and how he continuously surprises the world.

I still have some questions in the head, though. Didn't find the answers in this book.

But you should read this book, especially if you're his fan.
Drian Nash
I think the issue alot have with this book is that their is no unity its more like a mixture of articles some dealing with eminems music, some with his personal life,some with his social impact and some with the impact and devolopment of hip hop all together....

parts were intresting some parts were not.
Kim Tarry Tamayo
I expected the book to be more about Eminem but it was really just about society and how they have or haven't accepted him as a white rapper. I wasn't really interested in that at all, I wanted to find out things about an artist I enjoy listening to and there wasn't much about his life in the book at all.
Augustin
Aug 17, 2007 Augustin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Eminem Fans
This is another good book at give you a good inside look on the life of Eminem a.k.a "Slim Shady" How he struggled and let his passion for rap and hip-hop lead his straight oout of the gutter and to the top of the hip-hop charts.
Rushay Booysen
What sounded like a biography of Eminem seemed to be of a on the road trip with Em.The author digs into his past and reflects on his rise as a white man more.Overall it was a okay read nothing to write home about
Adam Floridia
Research for "African American Review solicits articles applying the tools of literary theory and criticism to hip hop artistry."

HORRIBLY organized and a chore to read. I stuck with it to mine it for quotations...
Teri
The life and times of Eminem. I found it to be more about the times and less about his life. An informing read if you are interested in the history of music and hip hop and how one man has influenced it.
Kandice
Meh. The author could have done something do good with this book but it was, overall, boring. I knew the stuff he actually wrote about Eminem and didn't care about the hip hop history lesson.
Isaiah
This book was really good and It gave a good description of his early rap career and also before his rap career. I am a fan of Eminem, but before I read this book I didn't know very much about him.
Ldvk
Not as good as I though it could've been. I didn't like how it wasn't written from Em's perspective. It's basically just the writer reflecting on what he experienced on the road with Em.
I'm not fan of Eminem. I just read this for something different. I thought Bozza's hero worship of Eminem was a bit much, but overall the book was interesting.
Skyler Desuze
This book was very interesting. I wish i had longer time to read it. Eminem is a icon since the movie 8 mile. i didn't get to finish it but i will buy it.
Melanie Fair
I thought this was going to be a biography about Eminem. It's pretty much a reporter following him around and occasionally throwing out some back story.
  • Angry Blonde
  • The Complete David Bowie
  • Vanilla Bright like Eminem
  • Hank Williams: The Biography
  • Man of Constant Sorrow: My Life and Times
  • The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea
  • Dream Boogie: The Triumph of Sam Cooke
Anthony Bozza is living the life many only dream about. As the bestselling author of seven books, including the autobiographies of Slash, Tommy Lee, Artie Lange and Tracy Morgan, Bozza has both the ear and the trust of rock and pop culture royalty. He is currently co-writing Wyclef Jean’s autobiography as well as publishing up-and-coming authors and cutting edge non-fiction via his Igniter Literar ...more
More about Anthony Bozza...
Inxs: Story to Story: The Official Autobiography Why AC/DC Matters Rolling Stone Raves: What Your Rock & Roll Favorites Favor Slash The Michael Hutchence Story