Start by marking “Whatever You Say I Am: The Life And Times Of Eminem” as Want to Read:
Whatever You Say I Am: The Life And Times Of Eminem

Whatever You Say I Am: The Life And Times Of Eminem

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  570 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
does eminem matter?
On assignment for his first cover story for Rolling Stone, the very first national cover story on Eminem, Anthony Bozza met a young blond kid, a rapper who would soon take the country by storm. But back in 1999, Eminem was just beginning to make waves among suburban white teenagers as his first single, "My Name Is," went into heavy rotation on MTV.
Who
Published 2004 by Corgi Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Whatever You Say I Am, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whatever You Say I Am

Librariasaurus
Aug 12, 2012 Librariasaurus rated it it was ok
There is way too much in this book that is not about Eminem. Plainly and simply, you can tell that Anthony Bozza wrote for Rolling Stone. This book has that high-brow rock journalism trying to be more than it needs to be air about it. Bozza includes copius amounts of information on the history of Detroit's motor industry, racial politics, feminism etc that don't relate to the story of Eminem but to the attitudes of wider America.
Bozza wrote this book by beginning each chapter with an anecdote a
Bill
Jul 09, 2009 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, biography
I have only managed to see Eminem live once, at the Reading Festival, I think around 2003 or thereabouts. I was expecting something really great but I was a little disappointed. But I have remained a fan

I have had this book for quite a while and finally got around to reading it. It's an excellent view of both his early life and his early rap success. If you're a fan of Mr Mathers you've probably already read this, if you haven't then I recommend that you do!
Jimmy  Garner
Oct 23, 2013 Jimmy Garner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Anthony Bozza wrote a biography on the artist Eminem A.K.A Marshall Bruce Mathers III A.K.A Slim Shady. Bozza depicts the life of the artist through his personal experiences. As well as he captures the view of Eminem through the eyes of those who know him well such as Paul Rosenburg (Music Industry Producer) and through articles and magazines like New York Times and the Rolling Stones. The biography goes in depth of the Artists accomplishments; Lose Yourself, 8 Mile and Eminem’s Grammy awards. N ...more
Renee
Aug 22, 2007 Renee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to know why Lynn Chenny's knickers are in a knot
The author, Anthony Bozza has interviewed Eminem countless time for Spin, Rolling Stone and other highly creditable magazines. In addition, he has spent days on end touring and getting to know Eminem in his world; mostly 8 Mile Road, Double-wide in Detroit. I say this because it makes the book very creditable and a very good read.
With this said, "Curtain Call" was the very first CD I downloaded on my IPOD some years back and I never looked back. Get past the woman bashing, and harsh language (s
Kitt-e-kat
Dec 26, 2010 Kitt-e-kat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was so bored reading this book. The author is a writer from Rolling Stones Magazine and was on the road alot with EM. When I start a book I have to finish it and it seemed like months I finally finished reading it. It took forever to keep picking up the book to read and finish it. If you like EM and you want to read about him, I don't recommend this one. It's a bore!
Eli Thomas
Mar 11, 2016 Eli Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book; I loved the third person perspective instead of the book being written by Eminem himself. It helps you understand the mannerisms of Eminem instead of him giving his own opinion on how he felt. The way Anthony Bozza writes it makes you feel like you were on tour with Eminem himself. I also appreciated that every detail of the book was not left out. From the way he walked or what he was eating it was all in the book which made the experience more surreal. The story of ...more
Justin Nichols
Decent biography. A bit sloppy with the presentation and organization. Jumped around too much. Good quotes by notable writers and music artists. I think I'd like to find an updated Eminem bio, and one done a little better.
Melissa Carvell
Really disappointed in this book, I'd start to read and enjoy the bits specifically from Eminem himself or the memories of the writers times with him but then I'd get so bored by all the filler that to me was unnecessary. If I wanted to know about the charts of 1999 and the politics of Detroit I would pick up a history book. It got so hard to reconnect with this book once I'd put it down and I would never look forward to reading it so I ended up slim reading the last quarter. Eminent story has s ...more
Armando
Dec 14, 2014 Armando rated it it was ok
Not really what I had expected but still interesting. I thought there would be more information about his life and his infamous rise to the top of the hip hop scene. Instead there is lots of general information about hip hop and various other topics. Can't recommend this book personally...
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
Whether or not you like his music, you have to admit he's a prominent figure in the rap music industry and pushes boundaries with his antisocial antics. As I expected, eminem's story is pretty interesting and this biography (published 2004) makes for a good read.
Dylan Attuil
I gave this book a two star rating because it was okay. Eminem's stories were sad yet interesting but this book was kind of boring sometimes just talking about him and his family. It was pretty much all about the same things, either rap or his house getting robbed.
Chelsea Powell
Dec 31, 2015 Chelsea Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I personally do like this book, it was a very interesting read and gave a different outlook on the life of Marshall Mathers III from someone who spent a lot of time with him/ around him. However I did find that it was written more like an article than an actual Biography. Throughout this book the author focuses less on Eminem and more on how society reacted to him and his explicit lyrics, perhaps that's why it seems like more of an article; though Marshall himself does talk to the author about s ...more
Janne Paananen
Ensalkuun vaikutti aivan erinomaiselta opukselta. Bozza tyylilleen uskollisena taustoittaa ylipäänsä räpin historiaa kirjassa tosi paljon. Välillä tuntui, että itse Eminem puhuukin kirjassa yllättävän vähän ja Bozza paneutuu enemmänkin räpin historiaan, sen vaikutukseen yhteiskuntaan yms. Ja sen hän tekeekin ansiokkaasti. Kirjan huonoin puoli onkin oikeastaa se, että eihän se kata kuin Eminemin kaksi ensimmäistä levyä, 8 Mile elokuvan ja sen soundtrackin. Eli kirja on kirjoitettu varsin varhaise ...more
Hayley
Jun 02, 2014 Hayley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
More on what effect Em had on America and society and the music industry rather than his life..there was quotes and anecdotes from his life, but mostly the effect he had rather than him.
Joseph Harris
Oct 20, 2015 Joseph Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this book, I of course like Marshall Mathers or Eminem, he tends to be very shy when it comes to his personal persona towards the public and I feel this book Does a great job at breaking that wall. It starts firstly by touching upon his great poverty and his climb to what we all know him as. I enjoyed this book and I would most definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested to either Eminem or even hip hop in general.
Angela Martelli
Apr 25, 2014 Angela Martelli rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Overall, I really didn't like this book. I thought it would be interesting because Eminem has such an interesting life, but the book was actually extremely boring. There was pages and pages of facts, and a lot of the time they had nothing to do with Eminem. I wish the author would have talked more about Eminem's early childhood rather than focus entirely on his later career. This book was difficult to read because it was so boring, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Michael
Jul 14, 2014 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
crap
Ives
Jun 08, 2010 Ives rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 11th-grade
Personally, I have no favourites over rappers, but I believe that Eminem has an unique style when it comes to rapping. I used to like his songs and I was always up to date with him and his name switches, Marshall to Slim Shady, to Eminem, all that. This is a biography on Eminem's history and how he grew up to be the person he is. It's interesting for people who love rap and are interested in learning more about them.
John
book on eminem! great rapper. white boyy! love m. anthony bozza tells a lot about his life. how he came up. his trials and errors. he interviewed him a lot. i love rap. and to hear that even though you can make it through all the things that eminem did, it shows that anything is possible. even if you have problems with your mother AND father, you can still get yourself up there and fulfill your dreams.
Sep 18, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This had a lot of filler, including the entire history of rap in the United States. It also felt compiled from a bunch of magazine interviews with various artists and sometimes Eminem. I wouldn't consider it an actual biography of Eminem. More like one of those books about a boy band that come out and you realize the author has never even met the band.
Mati
Dec 17, 2007 Mati rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mark, Tracy
The inside strength that people have to survive from any problem, and to fight to reach their goals is the one who move them to find their own track in the world. It doesn't matter who you are or where you come from. Could be a better book if Eminem will be the author of his own biography.Great book to understand why young people likes Eminem songs.
Audrey Cornu
Oct 09, 2007 Audrey Cornu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Eminem fans
Gives me much info about one of the most sensational rapper and needless to say, my favorite one.

Bozza tells us about his journey, his past, and how he continuously surprises the world.

I still have some questions in the head, though. Didn't find the answers in this book.

But you should read this book, especially if you're his fan.
Drian Nash
I think the issue alot have with this book is that their is no unity its more like a mixture of articles some dealing with eminems music, some with his personal life,some with his social impact and some with the impact and devolopment of hip hop all together....

parts were intresting some parts were not.
Kim Tarry Tamayo
I expected the book to be more about Eminem but it was really just about society and how they have or haven't accepted him as a white rapper. I wasn't really interested in that at all, I wanted to find out things about an artist I enjoy listening to and there wasn't much about his life in the book at all.
Augustin
Aug 17, 2007 Augustin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Eminem Fans
This is another good book at give you a good inside look on the life of Eminem a.k.a "Slim Shady" How he struggled and let his passion for rap and hip-hop lead his straight oout of the gutter and to the top of the hip-hop charts.
Rushay Booysen
What sounded like a biography of Eminem seemed to be of a on the road trip with Em.The author digs into his past and reflects on his rise as a white man more.Overall it was a okay read nothing to write home about
Adam Floridia
Nov 04, 2010 Adam Floridia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star-books
Research for "African American Review solicits articles applying the tools of literary theory and criticism to hip hop artistry."

HORRIBLY organized and a chore to read. I stuck with it to mine it for quotations...
Teri
Jun 14, 2010 Teri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The life and times of Eminem. I found it to be more about the times and less about his life. An informing read if you are interested in the history of music and hip hop and how one man has influenced it.
Kandice
Nov 24, 2011 Kandice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. The author could have done something do good with this book but it was, overall, boring. I knew the stuff he actually wrote about Eminem and didn't care about the hip hop history lesson.
Isaiah
May 22, 2013 Isaiah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good and It gave a good description of his early rap career and also before his rap career. I am a fan of Eminem, but before I read this book I didn't know very much about him.
  • Angry Blonde
  • The Dark Story of Eminem
  • The Ice Opinion: Who Gives a Fuck?
  • Resurrection, 1971-1996
  • My Son Marshall, My Son Eminem
  • Eminem
  • From Pieces to Weight: Once Upon a Time in Southside Queens
  • Put on Your Crown: Life-Changing Moments on the Path to Queendom
  • The Godfather Of Soul: An Autobiography
  • Holler If You Hear Me: Searching for Tupac Shakur
  • Hank Williams: The Biography
  • The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea
  • Dream Boogie: The Triumph of Sam Cooke
  • After the Dance: My Life With Marvin Gaye
  • Man of Constant Sorrow: My Life and Times
  • I Met the Walrus: How One Day with John Lennon Changed My Life Forever
  • Vanilla Bright like Eminem
  • Jon Bon Jovi
Anthony Bozza is living the life many only dream about. As the bestselling author of seven books, including the autobiographies of Slash, Tommy Lee, Artie Lange and Tracy Morgan, Bozza has both the ear and the trust of rock and pop culture royalty. He is currently co-writing Wyclef Jean’s autobiography as well as publishing up-and-coming authors and cutting edge non-fiction via his Igniter Literar ...more
More about Anthony Bozza...