Start by marking “A Monster Calls” as Want to Read:
A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls

4.35  ·  Rating Details ·  104,597 Ratings  ·  19,537 Reviews
The monster showed up after midnight. As they do. But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting. He’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the nightmare he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming…

This monster, though, is something different. Something ancient, something wild. And it
Published September 15th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Monster Calls, please sign up.

Cait
Jan 12, 2013 Cait rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can also find this review on my blog, Cait's Corner!

First things first: This almost never happens, but I have to admit that I cried at the end of this book; I clutched my cute little kitty-kat and bawled.

However, I didn't cry because of what the book in general, necessarily, but because of what it did to me. It drags out your saddest memories and pains, kicking and screaming, makes you look them right in the face and watch them all happen all over again, no matter how much you don't want
Wendy Darling
In the dark of night, when the house is still, what fears creep into your heart? For Conor O'Malley, his nightmares take the shape of a very old and very dangerous monster who visits him every night at seven minutes past midnight. He's half-convinced that these must be dreams of his fevered mind. But how can they be, when the visits are so vivid and when he finds physical evidence of the monster's existence the next day?

Conor's nightmares begin shortly after his mother starts her treatments for
Emily May
Mar 30, 2012 Emily May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2011

I got back to my apartment in Bulgaria and thought I'd read a little bit of this novel before I went to bed. 2 hours later I was still sat in my original position but by this time I was sobbing my heart out. Literally sat there crying like a baby to myself. I doubt this book will be everyone's cup of tea but, whatever it has, it really worked it's magic on me.

I thought A Monster Calls was pretty much amazing in every way; from it's darkly beautiful illustrations (worth buying a paper copy for)
The Holy Terror
I just read this book from cover to cover.

I have no idea how to rate it.

It is the worst book I've read.

I would never be able to recommend it,

because I hated it.

It's ripped my heart in two.

It'll make you think of losing the one person who means the most to you.

Or it'll make you think of those you've already lost.

It's not a happy book, but it's an important one.
Steph Sinclair

A Monster Calls has to be the most inventive book I've read this year. And I find myself struggling to put in words how much this book has touched me. But it did. If you haven't read A Monster Calls, I suggest you immediately purchase it. Don't read the e-book because you would miss out on the amazing artwork. This book is stunning. Masterfully written and beautifully drawn.

I remember the first time a book made me cry like this. I was in eighth grade in my English class, sitting under my desk i
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Sep 28, 2014 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful and gripping story. I feel like this is one of those books that will stay with you long after you've read it.
karen
Dec 04, 2013 karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
this book is a perfect modern fairy tale.

not a nice disney one with singing birds where everyone gets to go home with their prince and all of their limbs, but the older, darker kind involving foot-choppery and decimation.

lemme step back a bit. i added this book to my to-read shelf the moment i saw its cover here on goodreads.com. i knew nothing about it except that something in me bellowed "WANT!" i did not win it in the firstreads giveaway (naturally) and as more and more people began writing r
Lola  Reviewer
A Monster Calls did not constitute what I first visualized in term of story, plot and themes.

Due to the spooky cover, mystifying title and evasive blurb, my mind pictured something closer to the fantasy world than our contemporary one. Yet, the author remarkably brought together the real and the unreal, inserted in the narration that which touches one, can tear another apart and is a component of what we call ‘‘life,’’ and skilfully unfolded what laid deep inside Conor hidden…in the fragile corn
Reynje
I don’t think I can write a review for this book. I feel neither equipped, nor inclined, to make an evaluation of A Monster Calls based strictly on its literary style and merits. (Therefore, if you’re looking for an analysis of the plot, characters etc – you will be better served with another review).

So I’m writing a response instead. Or, I will attempt to.

I have a difficult relationship with books that deal with the subject of death and grief.

Occasionally, I find a book that is moving and re
Alejandro
Jan 11, 2016 Alejandro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is great book!

A BOOK FOR EVERYBODY

Very quick to read so if you are interested on it.

You'll find out that you'd read it in no time.

Also, it helps that it's a page turner, since the story has many elements to keep you hooked to it.

I hate to classify books for some specific age, since I think that books shouldn't have any age or genre.

Books should be read by men or women at any age and they should be as good as effective.

However, one can't deny that the author made this story thinking i
Maureen
Jul 24, 2016 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BOOKTUBEATHON 2016 BOOK #7

Well I am a hot mess of emotions right now. This book was so good and so important. It handled grief so well and I just...I am emotional. I think this book is very important and that lots of people should read it and yeah, that's about it.
THERE WERE TEARS.
Sabaa Tahir
Oct 17, 2016 Sabaa Tahir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tears. Lots of them.
Yulitza Moncada
Nov 07, 2016 Yulitza Moncada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cuenta la historia que existen libros que logran hacerte sufrir, reír y llorar todo al mismo tiempo, bueno, eso es lo que produce este libro en el lector.

no tengo palabras para describir lo que experimente con este libro, fue algo totalmente maravilloso y hermoso, la historia de este libro es de esas que te hacen pensar y cuestionarte muchas cosas de tu vida, una historia simple, sencilla, pero muy significante y emotiva, Patrick Ness supo como darnos una historia hermosa, pero a la vez tan des
Lyndsey
I don't believe that you can ever learn everything from a single story.

Many tales and many lessons contribute to an individual's personal truth. However, if you're looking for something that comes close to being a one-stop-shop for all your personal emotional needs, this would be it.

A Monster Calls contains breathtaking art by Jim Kay and is paired with a story of heartbreaking artistry from Patrick Ness.

Do I recommend this book? A million times yes and a million times no. How can I recommend so
Reading Corner
Feb 22, 2016 Reading Corner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Monster Calls is a heart-wrenching, emotional book with beautiful, dark illustrations that make the story even more enticing as they paint gripping, creepy images that create an engrossing atmosphere.I couldn't put this book down and I had it finished in two, wonderful hours of joyous reading.

The plot centers around, Connor O'Malley, a boy who suffers from strange nightmares, where the yew tree in his garden comes to life in order to tell Connor three tales and states that Connor will tell him
Sophia.
Oh my God. This.
This is why I read.

I don't always find what I'm looking for in the books I read. Most of the time, I'm disappointed. Sometimes I'm so angry because the book is so bad and God, I wasted my time and my money, and I'm never getting it back. And, damn it, if it's so bad, why even keep on reading?

You keep reading, because sometimes, you find a book that blows you away. When you start the book, you're someone. And when you finish the book, you're someone else. Someone different. Some
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jun 30, 2015 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Paige Bookdragon
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade

“There is not always a good guy. Nor is there always a bad one. Most people are somewhere in between."

Reading this somehow transported me to my 10 year old me when my grandfather was still alive and would tell me tales, most of them either horror or something that would teach a moral lesson and I would be all ears, wide-eyed, heart pounding, completely engaged and involved, emotions guided by that deep, wise, kind voice, anxious to know how one story will end but at the same time afraid it
Ariel
Oct 30, 2013 Ariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When going into this book, I was expecting a horror/creepy/spooky story, and that isn't what I got.. exactly. What I mean is that the overall tone of the book is creepy, and the drawings definitely are spooky, but the story itself is a contemporary tale about a boy trying to understand the feelings he has in regards to his mothers illness.

I loved this book. I loved it. It is absolutely now one of my "all-time favourites". Here's why:

1) The illustrations: The artwork in this book is BEAUTIFUL. It
Raeleen Lemay
Jul 12, 2012 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This book was so beautiful.

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I've just seen the movie on New Years Day 2017. Take a big box of tissues! Liam Neeson is brilliant as the Monster and the end scenes were done so well they ripped my heart out as the book did. Go see it!

Speechless! I devoured this magnificent book in a few hours, could not put it down. It's out at the movies right now! So I decided to read the book again. I first read it in 2014.

This is by far one if my all time favourite books and one of the very few that had actually made me cry, in fact I wa
Regan
May 09, 2014 Regan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My heart is aching.
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
You want to know what a boohooing baby I am? It took me a month to write this review and it wasn't because I was being my normal lazy self. Everytime I tried to write, my eyes just filled with tears. I'm such a baby!

Ok.. here it is....

When I was a senior in high school, I wanted to go on a big senior trip that was going to occur right after graduation. I had no money. It was just me and my 19 year old sister. The school stated that I could fundraise but that is about all I could do. My sister’s
P
Dec 11, 2016 P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult

Ok ! After watching the movie this week (I was crying until the lady sitting next to me gave me paper handkerchiefs), my perspective on this book was changed irrevocably. A Monster Calls is not a children's book because it's dark, emotional and deep. I want to say that this was just a light read for me, but I can't. This book was gripping, yet it screwed my mind and my life completely after I
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
I am not ashamed to admit that I nearly bawled like a baby during this reading process.

This Middle Grade book has a gloomy theme to it that fits my mood and I'm very pleased that A Monster Calls strays down the unique path. I mean, yew trees turning into walking monsters? I've never read anything like it. Like this.

Patrick Ness's atmospheric writing makes an excellent combination with (the late) Siobhan Dowd's original concept and Jim Kay's macabre, eerie illustrations together. I loved everyth
Justin
Sep 05, 2016 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like every time I love a YA book I start my review with "I don't read a lot of YA, but..."

So, I don't read a lot of... I mean... Hang on...

Patrick Ness is the best YA author out there. If you haven't read the Chaos Walking trilogy then please put everything in your life on hold and go find a copy of The Knife of Never Letting Go. This is the only book I've read from him outside of that series, but this book is just as amazing. I would also recommend picking up a physical copy of the book
Jo
Quick Note: This review is going to be extremely incoherent and incredibly useless. So if you have seen this book anywhere around and been a little bit curious…. I urge you to read it.
It probably won’t surprise you to see that I’ve decided not to write this review in my usual form. This is because the ‘High Points’ would consist of just a picture of the book. The Low Points would be redundant (I can usually find a few low points, even if I adore the book, but this one… I got nothing). I can’t t
Mangrii
Oct 07, 2016 Mangrii rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El relato creado por Patrick Ness en colaboración con un magnífico trabajo artístico por parte de Jim Kay, está basado en la idea general y personajes que tenía la escritora de genero infantil Siobhán Dowd para su quinta novela, la cual de murió desgraciadamente en 2007 por un cáncer. La historia se centra en Conor, un niño que se despierta la mayoría de las noches con la misma pesadilla desde que su madre ha comenzado un tratamiento para su grave enfermedad. De repente una noche todo cambia, el ...more
Joe
The Ugly Cry.

You know the kind of crying that's so chest-heavingly horrific that you look at your face in the mirror during or after and what you see is so awful you think, "No wonder I'm single." or "If anyone saw me in this state I would definitely be single."?

The Ugly Cry.

I have wept during many books. Silent, salty tears. Or maybe a little sob escaping. Or maybe even a tough, sobering cry. But only three books have elicited the Ugly Cry.

1. Kate DiCamillo's The Miraculous Journey of Edward
Navessa
Read along with Cecile. Unfortunately neither of us liked it.

My motto should be “I don’t fucking get it”. Maybe I’ll change my name. Navessa (who doesn’t fucking get it). Can I drop the f-bomb in my GR name? I’m not sure. Maybe if I put q’s in there it’ll be less offensive. Navessa (who doesn’t fuqing get it). Better? No that looks kind of dumb, doesn’t it?

I use that word so much that I can’t really bring myself to butcher it anyway. And why should I? I’m not a fan of censorship. Navessa (who
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

If I could give it 6 stars , I would given it them all !.

description

This book is without doubt a masterpiece, I didn't expect at the beginning of the book feel so touched with the history but how not be.

I think unfortunately most people have or had in our lives a person we love sick with cancer, because unfortunately today is a very common disease, in my case it was m
  • The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2)
  • Everybody Sees the Ants
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Okay for Now
  • Addie on the Inside (The Misfits, #3)
  • Bog Child
  • Cuckoo Song
  • No Crystal Stair: A Documentary Novel of the Life and Work of Lewis Michaux, Harlem Bookseller
  • Midwinterblood
  • Fury
  • The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larsen
  • My Name Is Mina (Skellig, #0.5)
  • Bluefish
  • Hidden
  • Rotters
  • Chime
  • Tales from Outer Suburbia
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Co
More about Patrick Ness...

“You do not write your life with words...You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.” 4148 likes
“There is not always a good guy. Nor is there always a bad one. Most people are somewhere in between.” 3364 likes