Start by marking “Drinking Midnight Wine” as Want to Read:
Drinking Midnight Wine

Drinking Midnight Wine

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,088 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Toby Dexter is an ordinary guy, with an ordinary job, in a less than ordinary world. Then he follows a mysterious woman into an extraordinary world called Mysterie... ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Roc (first published December 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Drinking Midnight Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drinking Midnight Wine

Proditor
I've seen a few reviews compare this to a comic book, to which I can only say, you don't "get it". That's fine, there is nothing wrong with that, but my belief is that those who loved Deathstalker, don't necessarily get Green's other work. Green's mastery is as a wordsmith. His genius is in the use of character. It's a bit incorrect to say a Norse god gets modern and becomes a Private Detective, it's a lot more accurate to say that a guy who can't find his place in the world (And who also happen ...more
Jenie
Kati
I'm a big fan of Green's "Nightside" series but I had to drop this book. It's a stand-alone story that has nothing to do with Nightside but it still feels like Nightside - just without the Nightside. It's bordering on a carbon copy. Also, the story is told from various POVs and unfortunately, that causes it to drag on. If Green told it just from the POV of Toby, the first guy we meet, the plot would have been much tighter, I think. Also, Toby was the only character that caught my interest and wh ...more
Aelvana
I really love his Hawk and Fisher books, so I decided to try more by him in the hopes he's kept that same humorous sarcasm. It is there, though not as strongly. The plot itself is a bit weak, but the characters are pretty interesting. A middle-aged bookstore clerk followed a strange woman through a door that wasn't there a moment ago into the magical world that coexists with our own, thus starting a chain of events that flings him at the center of a plan to destroy both worlds. I didn't figure o ...more
Josh
A solid read, but there's a lot of concepts that Green throws around here that aren't necessarily well defined or linked up very well. It's almost as if he's tossed together a bunch of cool ideas he thought would make for an interesting story, hit "blend" and just poured it out rather than really planned it all together.

The basic plot isn't terribly complex: guy with a terribly ordinary life meets a beautiful woman and on a whim he follows her throw a door he shouldn't have been able to see. Now
Heather
This was the first Simon R. Green book that I read. It isn't what I would say is his best work ever, but it was enough to get me to read another one of his books.
David Caldwell
I have read this story a few times now and have enjoyed it everytime.This book represents a turning point for Simon R. Green.Before this book came out, he had been writing his Deathstalker (space opera) series and his Blue Moon (sword and sorcery fantasy) series.This book is his first foray into urban fantasy.It is the embryonic Nightside in some ways.

Toby Dexter becomes a focal point when he follows the beautiful Gayle through a strange door into Mysterie.Toby seems to be an early (and more inn
Anna
I kept waiting for this book to be more than it was, which kept me reading, but I'm afraid it never got there. The biggest weakness for me was the cast of characters, who were all rather one dimensional and who spent their time chiefly talking about how Very Powerful they were and trying to prove how clever they were. All of the winking and nodding then undermined any legitimate dramatic moments and made them feel false and unearned. Most characters had nothing in the way of actual development, ...more
Hervé Beilvaire
Toby Dexter. Il habite Bradford-sur-Avon, une vieille ville où il ne se passe rien. Tous les jours il va à son travail en prenant le train. Tous les jours il ouvre la porte de la librairie Gandalf pour travailler « ranger des retours, garnir des etageres, brancher l’aspirateur ». Tous les jours il reprend le train pour voir en face de lui, La femme à la bouche parfaite, la femme inacessible. Tous les jours il essaie de lui parler mais n’y arrive pas.

Pourtant ce soir là, une averse va en décider
Isabel
When Toby Dexter follows a beautiful woman through a door he has never noticed before, he finds that he has moved from Veritie (the real world) into the magical world of Mysterie, and although he is still in Bradford-upon-Avon it is a very different version of the Wiltshire town, peopled by godlings and mythological beings, some of whom are very old and powerful indeed. It becomes clear that he is a focal point, someone who will make a decision at a crucial point in the struggle between good and ...more
Paula
The protagonist of Drinking Midnight Wine is Toby, who lives a very tedious life working in a bookshop and only clambers out of his rut one evening on his return from work, when he decides to wait out a rainstorm at the train station and witnesses something he shouldn't have seen. Although he's been besotted with the woman who often sits in the same railway carriage, he hadn't realised that she was much more than she appeared, until he follows her from the real world of Veritie into the realms o ...more
Netanella
What a great read! The cast of characters read like the script of a Gaiman graphic novel - a Norse demigod, Luna, Gaia, a fallen Angel, a werewolf, a nephilim, the King of Cats, the Serpent in the Sun, the Waking Beauty, etc., etc. The plot of the novel - to save the worlds of Veritie and Mysterie from the evil plots of the Serpent and his Son - was engaging, oftentimes bone-splintering and gorey, and humorously written. The one thing that is very noticeable, though, after coming off of reading ...more
Alexander Draganov
One of the best novels by Simon Green. Toby, a harmless shop assistant follows a mysterious beautiful woman trough a strange door, into a world of magic and mystery. There, he must become a hero and save the world from a demonic villain. Sounds trivial, but it really isn't. Green has a marvellous imagination and creates a spectacular realm of legends and mysteries, neatly blendinh fantasy, humour and horror into one. The characters, like Jimmy Thunder, God for Hire, Leo Morn, a descendant of her ...more
Ade Couper
This is one of Simon R Green's earlier works , & I believe his 1st urban fantasy - & it's pretty damn' good.....

It's set in Bradford-on-Avon , reputed to be the oldest continuously inhabited town in the UK , & concerns Toby , a shop assistant , who sees a lady on the train , is smitten , & follows her through a door that isn't there......Meanwhile a reputedly haunted farmhouse is taken over , & there is some very strange sunspot activity....

The wit & humour that character
Cait
Roger
checked this out from the library not too long after settling in to Chicago [the suburbs, really]. i was starting a game of Mage: The Awakening with a new group of friends. my first role-playing game ever, and for some reason this book was the perfect book to pick up on a whim.

i'll always have fond memories of riding the Metra train, commuting to the city while reading this book. something about the combination of this book, the crisp Fall air, the magic and mystery of things coming together. el
Josef
Neuvěřitelné zklamání - styl ani zdaleka neodpovídá mé milované Noční straně, postavy jsou jen papírové ploché charaktery (snad vyjma hlavního hrdiny), jejich dialogy, dějové linie a samotný závěr smrdí amatérštinou na sto honů.
Sally Bisbee
"There is a world beyond the world, a place of magics and mysteries, evils and enchantments, marvels and wonders. and you are never more than a breath away from all of it. Open the right door, walk down the wrong street, and you can find waiting for you every dream you ever had, including all the bad ones. Secrets and mysteries will open themselves to you, if something more or less human doesn't find you first. Magic is real, and so are gods and monsters."

I liked this book, but not nearly as muc
Yvonne Boag
My least favourite Simon R. Green book.
Sandy D.
A fantasy novel that wasn't too bad - set in modern day Britain, with a bookstore clerk as the main character. He falls in love with a woman on the train, who leads him from Veritie (our world), to Mysterie (the flip side of our world), where he becomes a focal point and must save both worlds from ultimate evil. Lots of philosophy, symbolism, and some pretty funny tongue in cheek bits, but it didn't really grab me and pull me into the book, which is what I really want in this genre.
Jason
This fantasy book was not developed enough for my taste. By the end of the book, it is just becoming an interesting premise and setting, with potential for more. The reader learns about the world at the same rate as the confused-but-game main character. The story is implausible (even for a fantasy-type book, where you're SUPPOSED to suspend your disbelief), and the action-packed finish and subsequent wrap-up are cheesy and shallow.
Karen
A very clever tale of alternate reality and the shift between those worlds. I really liked his story and the down on his luck main character whose life gets a big jolt.

I decided I really liked his style of writing and went on to try his Nightside series but was not impressed. This is a great stand alone novel and maybe I will try some others again to see if he can captivate me again as he did with Midnight Wine
Elvet
I picked this up at a second hand shop with some others from the same author. Simon R. Green didn't ring a bell, but I liked the premise of the books I bought, especially this standalone.It's another variation on the magical world parelleling our real one, but it had a few twists. I would have got my value had I bought it new.
Donna
This is not one of Green's best books. The dialogue is not as witty as his norm and the plot is more confusing. I liked the mythological aspects but thought the plot jumped around too much.
Toby Dexter follows the woman of his dreams into a door that appears out of nowhere and ends up in the world of Mysterie, leaving behind the world of Veritie and thereby becoming a pivotal figure in history.
Echo
Green seems to be been added to my list of "if his name's on it, I'll read it" authors, so that's why I ended up reading this one. Like his other books, I really enjoyed it. Love the humor, love the mix of characters in the story, love the plot, just love his writing in general. And was it just me, or were there references to one or two Nightside characters in this one?
Susie
I wanted to start a series by Simon Green, but I couldn't find it at my library. This book was here, so I picked it up mainly to get a feel for the author to see if I was actually interested in chasing down the series. I am happy to report that I loved his characters, and his world, and the pacing of the book. I will be reading more of this author in the future.

Magda
Aug 26, 2007 Magda rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Magda by: Miriam
Shelves: sci-fi
I really enjoyed the British humor. Sorry, humour. I liked how I was drawn in to relate to the characters.

On the other hand, it was much more violent than necessary, especially since all the supernatural types kept regrowing or reattaching limbs. I'm also not sure how comfortable I am in reading about evil being only narrowly conquered, and by physical means.
Brandon
Simon R. Green is one of my favorite authors. I think this book is one of his weaker ones. It is still enjoyable to read though. I liked the characters which is one of the strong points of the book. The book seemed a bit choppy to me as if he wrote it in a hurry and did not quite polish it up. Still a good book, worth reading.
Terry
An enjoyable read with serious exploration of the nature of courage and the necessity of resourcefulness. How does one resist a novel which includes Nephilim (the giants of Genesis) and a werewolf, Gaia and Luna, a minor Norse god, Satan and his son, a fallen angel, hippie mice and a bookshop assistant who is a focal point?
  • Fangs for the Mammaries
  • The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump
  • Fantasy Gone Wrong
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • When Sorrows Come (October Daye, #13)
  • Our Souls to Keep (Our Souls to Keep, #1)
  • A Hundred Words for Hate (Remy Chandler, #4)
  • World's End  (Age of Misrule #1)
  • Hellblazer: Subterranean
  • The Sword of Maiden's Tears (Twelve Treasures, #1)
  • Forged in Fire (Sarah Beauhall #3)
  • Hex Witch of Seldom
  • Zombiesque
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)
  • The Unforsaken Hiero  (Hiero, #2)
  • Weird Detectives: Recent Investigations
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...
Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2) Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3) Hex and the City (Nightside, #4) Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)

“Keep your mind too open, and you never know what might walk in.” 61 likes
“Nothing is hidden, nothing is ever lost, nothing is ever forgotten. That's always been part of my problem.” 20 likes