Start by marking “Poetry After 9/11: An Anthology of New York Poets” as Want to Read:
Poetry After 9/11: An Anthology of New York Poets

Poetry After 9/11: An Anthology of New York Poets

The 10th anniversary edition of this important and inspiring collection is a sweeping overview of poetry written in New York in the year after the 9/11 attacks.

This 10th anniversary edition of the popular anthology contains poems by forty-five of the most important poets of the day, as well as some of the literary world’s most dynamic young voices, all writing in New York
Paperback, Tenth Anniversary Edition, 112 pages
Published August 16th 2011 by Melville House (first published September 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Poetry After 9/11, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poetry After 9/11

Elizabeth
Oct 04, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Miranda Besson, "Flight" (6) -- Haunting.

Bill Kushner, "Civilization" (12-13) -- "You talk to me, I listen. / I talk to you, you listen. Is this like civilization or / what?"

Shelley Stenhouse, "Circling"(18) -- "We'll never go back. It's so strange to be caught / in history [...] I don't want to die. / I hope God is circling up there with those planes."

Carter Ratcliff, "So Gallantly Streaming: To the Poet" (21-22) -- "I had become your name."

Eliot Katz, "The Weather Seems Different" (27-28) -- "
Christopher Morales
Oct 24, 2012 Christopher Morales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 9-11, poetry
I picked this book not because it looked interesting. I picked this book to read because I found its topic interesting. Ever since I learned the right details about 9/11, I would renew my curiosity every year. I would sit and look up ever source I could find delivering news, updates, and photos of the two WTC buildings that fell. I also chose this book because I like to write poetry, so I read it to gain inspiration.
This book has a list of poems written by people who experienced the feeling of
QS
Dec 29, 2014 QS rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, poetry, anthology, 2014
This is an interesting enough anthology, but I'm not sure what to say about it. The poetry isn't exclusively about 9/11 or its aftermath, and I'm honestly not certain how I feel about that. One one hand, it's nice to see that life does, indeed, go on; on the other hand, I feel that in such a small anthology, it should include poems about the tragic event mentioned in the title. At least the poems all ranged from good to great, so I was never disappointed by the actual content. In the end, I wave ...more
Leonard
Nov 15, 2015 Leonard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually expected this collection to be more moving than it was. Many of the poems focus on tragedy and loss without being 9/11 specific. But the universal nature of human-generated violence and the frequency at which it occurs around the globe, means that mass tragedy is a shared experience, so many of these poems will, unfortunately, be relevant for some time. I especially noted the work of Hal Sirowitz, who is a special education teacher in New York, and also one of my favorite poets. He ad ...more
Tom
Nov 20, 2016 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 7th-grade
John Pappas
Jul 27, 2011 John Pappas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At times elegaic, at times confounding or paranoidal, these always disquieting and sometimes beautiful poems written since the September 11th, 2001 attacks by New York poets is a fascinating exploration of the intersection of art and tragedy. While some poems are amazing, others fall flat. A few linger in one's mind for days after their initial reading.
Melville House Publishing
Amongst the 45 poets featured are current Pulitzer Prize for Poetry-winner Stephen Dunn, the editor of the Best American Poetry series David Lehman, National Book Award finalist Alicia Ostriker, Jean Valentine and the poets laureate of Brooklyn and Queens.
Jessica Bickford-Manson
Interesting, sad at points and joyful at others.
Kevin Grauke
Kevin Grauke rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2009
Dorre
Dorre rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
May 15, 2015
Barney
Barney rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Betty Bleen
Betty Bleen rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2011
Emma-Kate Schaake
Emma-Kate Schaake rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Carol Revelle
Carol Revelle rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2012
oodee
oodee rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Isla McKetta
Isla McKetta rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2011
Laura rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Camille
Camille rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2008
Samara
Samara rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2010
Mark Meneses
Mark Meneses rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Carol Revelle
Carol Revelle rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2011
MJ
MJ rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2012
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2010
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Mugren Al-Ohaly
Mugren Al-Ohaly rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2015
Mike Finn
Mike Finn rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2009
Samodh
Samodh rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2015