Start by marking “The Ninth Day (Emma Caldridge, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Ninth Day (Emma Caldridge, #3)

The Ninth Day (Emma Caldridge #3)

“One of the top thriller writers working today. With crisp writing, clever plotting, and memorable characters, this one will satisfy even the most finicky of readers.”
—Steve Berry, New York Times bestselling author of The Jefferson Key

Tess Gerritsen praised former Chicago lawyer-turned-writer Jamie Freveletti’s stunning debut thriller, Running from the Devil as “a breathle
Published September 27th 2011 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Ninth Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ninth Day

Jane
Jul 21, 2012 Jane rated it liked it
Where I got the book: freebie at a networking event.

I should start out by announcing that I do NOT read thrillers, so my rating reflects my ignorance of the genre. Jamie Freveletti is a) a hugely popular bestseller, and b) I've met her and like her. My 3 stars will not make a dent in her popularity, and I'm glad of it.

Plot: Emma Caldridge stumbles across a drug gang whose marijuana crop is afflicted with a disease that transmits itself to humans. Trying to get clear of the situation, she is caug
KBev
Dec 27, 2011 KBev rated it really liked it
A few weeks ago, our friends over at Harper Collins sent us an advance copy of The Ninth Day, by Jamie Freveletti, which becomes available to the public today. The Ninth Day is the third book in a series about Emma Caldridge. Running from the Devil is the first book and Running Dark is the second.

To be quite honest, I wasn't expecting much from the small mass market paperback, but once I started this book I seriously couldn't put it down.

The novel starts off with Emma Caldridge, a biochemist lo
Candace Salima
Mar 03, 2013 Candace Salima rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 18 and Up
Recommended to Candace by: Jamie Freveletti
In less than nine days, terror crosses the border…

Hiking in Arizona, biochemist Emma Caldridge inadvertently interrupts the operations of dangerous traffickers in human cargo–and is chased south in the arms of millionaire drug merchants. Suddenly a prisoner of Mexico’s most feared cartel, Emma makes a shocking discovery in the marijuana fields out Ciudad Juarez: plants rotting with a flesh-eating toxin that causes a truly horrible death within nine days of exposure. And there is no antidote.

The
Digit
Jan 03, 2013 Digit rated it did not like it
I have a policy of finishing what I start. This book sorely tested that policy. I felt as though I was in a B-grade action movie. All of the typical stereotypes were in this book, and the attempt at creating character depth was pretty lame. I really couldn't muster much empathy for any of them, they were so shallow.

I'm totally astounded at the number of readers who liked this book.
primeballerina
Jul 23, 2012 primeballerina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emma Caldridges drittes Abenteuer beginnt gleich mit einer Verfolgung im Dschungel Mexikos durch einen coyote, einem Eintreiber von LaValle, dem größten Kartell-Boss Mexikos.

LaValles Ware – Hanfpflanzen – sind schwer verseucht, Dutzende seiner Männer sind bereits einen schmerzvollen Tod gestorben, die nächsten Dutzen sind bereits auf dem Weg hin. Da auch LaValles Freundin nun Geschwüre an Händen aufweist, soll Emma nun herausfinden, um was für eine Infektion es sich auf LaValles Anwesen handelt.
Tessa
Jan 03, 2013 Tessa rated it really liked it
There are many things to love about Jamie Freveletti's writing: her strong female protagonist, the non-stop action and unexpected plot, the lack of cliched romantic interludes. This is one of three books featuring Emma Caldridge and the first that I read, but that didn't take away from the experience. Freveletti has a savvy way of referencing past character events without requiring a thorough understanding of them to enjoy the story at hand. That's something any avid reader who might not be able ...more
Tom Tischler
Oct 28, 2011 Tom Tischler rated it really liked it
While hiking in Arizona looking for some night blooming plants
Emma Caldridge a biochemist for a cosmetic company is kidnapped by
some men from a Mexican drug cartel and hustled off to Ciudad Mexico
This cartel is headed by a dangerous psychopath name LaVelle. He
is all excited because his mirajuana crop is infected with a
mysterious disease and rotting in the fields. He continues to send the peaseant's out to pick the crop even though they die within 9ays.
LaValle finds out that Emma is a biochemis
Tim
Sep 26, 2013 Tim rated it liked it
I love a good adventure novel, one with lots of action and a good plot. The Ninth Day had a good plot and a good amount of action but was a little over the top farfetched.

Emma Caldridge is a biochemist that works for a cosmetics company that the moonlights as an undercover drug operative. While out on research assignments she watches for and reports signs of drug and human trafficking, then reports her findings. Together with OZ an MIT dropout/rock band roady, Emma finds herself abducted by a M
Themistokeles
Möchte man unterhalten werden und mag actionreiche Bücher und Filme in Richtung "Transporter" oder ähnlichem gern und erwartet nicht zwingend, dass alles vollkommen logisch und realistisch ist, dann hat man mit "Emmas Angst" einen Roman erwischt, der einem sehr gut gefallen kann.
Inhaltlich fehlt es nämlich an vielen Stellen an Glaubwürdigkeit, passieren doch viele Dinge wie zufällig, da sie so gebraucht werden, um die Geschichte spannend fortzuführen. Auch Emmas Wissen wirkt in diesem Roman etwa
Michael
Biochemist Emma Coldridge is in Arizona on the Mexican border. She stumbles on a marijuana stockpile and is apprehended before she can escape.

Taoul La Valle, the leader of the cartel running the drugs learns that she's a chemist and tells her that his marijuana plants are invedted. People who come in contact with the plants are infected by a flesh eating disease which is fatal within nine days.

La Valle also deals with body parts and tells Emma that she must find a cure or be killed. His mistress
Kelli Otting
Apr 06, 2013 Kelli Otting rated it it was ok
I almost couldn't finish this book. For the ignorant, maybe the repeated mention of the marijuana leaves being packed for shipping from a major cartel, wouldn't send any red flags, but the marijuana leaves are a waste product of the marijuana smoking element of the plant. They would NEVER be packaged to be sold by anyone with a shred of knowledge about smoking pot. The leaves are not even smoked at all.

In addition, a revolver does not have a magazine. During the story an automatic pistol with a
Al
Apr 12, 2013 Al rated it liked it

Hiking in Arizona, biochemist Emma Caldridge inadvertently interrupts the operations of dangerous traffickers in human cargo—and is chased south into the arms of millionaire drug merchants. Suddenly a prisoner of Mexico’s most feared cartel, Emma makes a shocking discovery in the marijuana fields outside Ciudad Juarez: plants rotting with a flesh-eating toxin that causes a truly horrible death within nine days of exposure. And there is no antidote.

The cartel believes that U.S. agents contamina

K.
Only my esoteric knowledge of gross diseases and animals helped me figure out the mystery before Emma. Still, this was an exciting journey filled with lots of gunfire, car chases and explosions.

Awesome.
Randy Schultz
Oct 23, 2011 Randy Schultz rated it did not like it
A complete and utter waste of time. I was reading the newest Ted Bell novel ( Warlord) and just weeried of the Cussleresque machinations when I spied this amongst the new releases at my local Chapters. I eagerly grabbed it, thinking it a little more of a serious matter than Alex Hawkes misplaced gin and tonic. Sadly, SADLY, this wee tome was just more fluff thriller. Dumb as a sack of stones. It may be an every day thing for our heroine to drive into a hail of gunfire that flattens every tire an ...more
Nadia
Feb 23, 2015 Nadia rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading the book. full of excitement and action mixed with some mystery. The reason I rated '4 stars' is that the very ending (last chapter) was not well written. I mean I thought the ending was exciting but didn't turn out as I thought. All in all, I loved it.
Chris Mcgowan
Oct 01, 2012 Chris Mcgowan rated it liked it
The third in the Emma caldridge series. Just like the "Die Hard" and "Speed" movie series lost steam with each sequel, the same is happening with Emma the action hero.

Maybe I am reading them too close together to fully enjoy, but the plot lines seem to be a bit of a stretch in this one, especially how the lives of characters criss cross throughout this one. Just a little unbelievable for me most of the time. If you can put that aside going in, then you'll enjoy it as much as the others.

I think I
Tatrd
Jan 29, 2015 Tatrd rated it it was amazing
Started a little slower than the first two of the series but got more enthrallng as I went.
February Four
Jan 12, 2015 February Four rated it really liked it
Nice thriller! I like the way it developed.
Monica
Sep 15, 2016 Monica rated it liked it
Ok thriller.
Deb
Jul 08, 2015 Deb rated it liked it
Predictable
Rebecca Harrison
Jun 23, 2011 Rebecca Harrison rated it it was amazing
just finished "The Ninth Day" by Jamie Freveletti due out in Sept this year It was awesome kept my interest throughout the entire book. Emma, a very gifted runner, is kidnapped by a Mexican cartel and held prisoner. She must find the cure to an unknown and mysterious disease affecting the boss's girlfriend. She has only nine days to find it or she will be tortured and fed to the armadillos. Will she find it or will she be infected and die by the Ninth Day.
Bob Corrigan
Feb 07, 2012 Bob Corrigan rated it liked it
This should really be a 3.5 star rating. Possibly because of a string of 'toss aways' that preceded it - this book and the one before it broke a long chain of losers.

This novel is mostly - exclusively I guess you could say - about 'plot.' Plot and action. No breathtaking descriptive passages, no interesting or thoughtful observations, not really a lot of character development - just ... plot. Which I guess I was ready for and simply enjoyed.

Sue Kelso
Sep 10, 2014 Sue Kelso rated it liked it
I liked it. Good poolside reading.
Laura Adams
Apr 25, 2016 Laura Adams rated it liked it
Entertaining fun read
Jan
Oct 02, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it
Loved this one too. Totally hooked on Jamie Freveletti. As a series all together I give it 5 stars. Main character strong and interesting. Other characters are also interesting. Never got bored in any of the books. Just bought the last book in the series and sad it is over. All books worth the time and money.
Ron
Sep 06, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
I get shin splints just thinking about running track in high school so I never dreamed that novels about a distance runner protagonist would appeal to me. I picked #1 off the shelf while waiting for a guest author to appear and started reading to pass the time. This one is just as good as the first two.
Scott
Oct 24, 2011 Scott rated it it was amazing
This is the best of the Emma Caldridge series to date. Jamie came to my librry to talk about her writing methods and her books. It was an wodnerful evening. She has truely found her stride with this novel. Look orward to the new Covert One book that she is writing for the Robert Ludlum estate!
Brittiany
Mar 13, 2013 Brittiany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Chemist, Emma Caldridge, finds herself kidnapped and faced with not only her own life hanging in the limbs, but the lives of complete strangers whom she is not willing to run away from.

As usual, this Emma Caldridge story takes off at a full run and doesn't slow down!
Allison
May 07, 2013 Allison rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Good, but it did seem to go on and on - more so than the last two. I know I'm reading an adventure, but this was really a bit past the "this could ever happen" range. I was very ready for the resolution at the end of the book.
Kimberly Perch
Aug 08, 2013 Kimberly Perch rated it it was ok
Enjoyed the first two Emma cauldridge books much better. The action in this book was fast paced and held my interest initially but the plot became too unbelievable. I do like the authors writing style though.
  • The Thieves Of Legend (Michael St. Pierre, #4)
  • Asylum City: A Novel
  • Start Shooting
  • King Pawn
  • The Kill Order  (Sydney Fitzpatrick #5)
  • Clementine's Shadow
  • Ruins of War (Mason Collins, #1)
  • Passion, Power & Sin - Books 1-5
  • Full Tilt (Kate Page, #2)
  • Blood of My Brother
  • Sting of the Drone
  • The Quest for Anna Klein: An Otto Penzler Book
  • In Velvet: A Novel
  • A Blossom of Bright Light (Jimmy Vega Mystery, #2)
  • Foreign and Domestic  (Captain Jake Mahegan, #1)
  • Play Dead
  • The War Reporter
  • Minute Zero (Judd Ryker, #2)
2010773
Jamie Freveletti is a trial attorney, martial artist, and runner. Her debut thriller, RUNNING FROM THE DEVIL (HarperCollins/ Morrow 2009), was chosen as a “Notable Book” by the Independent Booksellers of America, awarded Best First Novel by the International Thriller Writers as well as a Barry Award for Best First Novel. It has been translated into three languages and was an international bestsell ...more
More about Jamie Freveletti...

Emma Caldridge (4 books)
  • Running from the Devil (Emma Caldridge, #1)
  • Running Dark (Emma Caldridge, #2)
  • Dead Asleep  (Emma Caldridge, #4)