Start by marking “The Ninth Day (Emma Caldridge, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Ninth Day (Emma Caldridge, #3)

The Ninth Day (Emma Caldridge #3)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  36 reviews
In less than nine days, terror crosses the border . . .

Hiking in Arizona, biochemist Emma Caldridgeinadvertently interrupts the operations ofdangerous traffickers in human cargo—and ischased south into the arms of millionaire drugmerchants. Suddenly a prisoner of Mexico’s mostfeared cartel, Emma makes a shocking discoveryin the marijuana fields outside Ciudad Juarez: plant
Published September 27th 2011 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Ninth Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ninth Day

Jane
Where I got the book: freebie at a networking event.

I should start out by announcing that I do NOT read thrillers, so my rating reflects my ignorance of the genre. Jamie Freveletti is a) a hugely popular bestseller, and b) I've met her and like her. My 3 stars will not make a dent in her popularity, and I'm glad of it.

Plot: Emma Caldridge stumbles across a drug gang whose marijuana crop is afflicted with a disease that transmits itself to humans. Trying to get clear of the situation, she is caug
KBev
A few weeks ago, our friends over at Harper Collins sent us an advance copy of The Ninth Day, by Jamie Freveletti, which becomes available to the public today. The Ninth Day is the third book in a series about Emma Caldridge. Running from the Devil is the first book and Running Dark is the second.

To be quite honest, I wasn't expecting much from the small mass market paperback, but once I started this book I seriously couldn't put it down.

The novel starts off with Emma Caldridge, a biochemist lo
Candace Salima
Mar 03, 2013 Candace Salima rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 18 and Up
Recommended to Candace by: Jamie Freveletti
In less than nine days, terror crosses the border…

Hiking in Arizona, biochemist Emma Caldridge inadvertently interrupts the operations of dangerous traffickers in human cargo–and is chased south in the arms of millionaire drug merchants. Suddenly a prisoner of Mexico’s most feared cartel, Emma makes a shocking discovery in the marijuana fields out Ciudad Juarez: plants rotting with a flesh-eating toxin that causes a truly horrible death within nine days of exposure. And there is no antidote.

The
Digit
I have a policy of finishing what I start. This book sorely tested that policy. I felt as though I was in a B-grade action movie. All of the typical stereotypes were in this book, and the attempt at creating character depth was pretty lame. I really couldn't muster much empathy for any of them, they were so shallow.

I'm totally astounded at the number of readers who liked this book.
Tessa
There are many things to love about Jamie Freveletti's writing: her strong female protagonist, the non-stop action and unexpected plot, the lack of cliched romantic interludes. This is one of three books featuring Emma Caldridge and the first that I read, but that didn't take away from the experience. Freveletti has a savvy way of referencing past character events without requiring a thorough understanding of them to enjoy the story at hand. That's something any avid reader who might not be able ...more
Tom Tischler
While hiking in Arizona looking for some night blooming plants
Emma Caldridge a biochemist for a cosmetic company is kidnapped by
some men from a Mexican drug cartel and hustled off to Ciudad Mexico
This cartel is headed by a dangerous psychopath name LaVelle. He
is all excited because his mirajuana crop is infected with a
mysterious disease and rotting in the fields. He continues to send the peaseant's out to pick the crop even though they die within 9ays.
LaValle finds out that Emma is a biochemis
Tim
I love a good adventure novel, one with lots of action and a good plot. The Ninth Day had a good plot and a good amount of action but was a little over the top farfetched.

Emma Caldridge is a biochemist that works for a cosmetics company that the moonlights as an undercover drug operative. While out on research assignments she watches for and reports signs of drug and human trafficking, then reports her findings. Together with OZ an MIT dropout/rock band roady, Emma finds herself abducted by a M
Michael
Biochemist Emma Coldridge is in Arizona on the Mexican border. She stumbles on a marijuana stockpile and is apprehended before she can escape.

Taoul La Valle, the leader of the cartel running the drugs learns that she's a chemist and tells her that his marijuana plants are invedted. People who come in contact with the plants are infected by a flesh eating disease which is fatal within nine days.

La Valle also deals with body parts and tells Emma that she must find a cure or be killed. His mistress
Kelli Otting
I almost couldn't finish this book. For the ignorant, maybe the repeated mention of the marijuana leaves being packed for shipping from a major cartel, wouldn't send any red flags, but the marijuana leaves are a waste product of the marijuana smoking element of the plant. They would NEVER be packaged to be sold by anyone with a shred of knowledge about smoking pot. The leaves are not even smoked at all.

In addition, a revolver does not have a magazine. During the story an automatic pistol with a
Al

Hiking in Arizona, biochemist Emma Caldridge inadvertently interrupts the operations of dangerous traffickers in human cargo—and is chased south into the arms of millionaire drug merchants. Suddenly a prisoner of Mexico’s most feared cartel, Emma makes a shocking discovery in the marijuana fields outside Ciudad Juarez: plants rotting with a flesh-eating toxin that causes a truly horrible death within nine days of exposure. And there is no antidote.

The cartel believes that U.S. agents contamina

Katie
Only my esoteric knowledge of gross diseases and animals helped me figure out the mystery before Emma. Still, this was an exciting journey filled with lots of gunfire, car chases and explosions.

Awesome.
Randy
A complete and utter waste of time. I was reading the newest Ted Bell novel ( Warlord) and just weeried of the Cussleresque machinations when I spied this amongst the new releases at my local Chapters. I eagerly grabbed it, thinking it a little more of a serious matter than Alex Hawkes misplaced gin and tonic. Sadly, SADLY, this wee tome was just more fluff thriller. Dumb as a sack of stones. It may be an every day thing for our heroine to drive into a hail of gunfire that flattens every tire an ...more
Nadia
I really enjoyed reading the book. full of excitement and action mixed with some mystery. The reason I rated '4 stars' is that the very ending (last chapter) was not well written. I mean I thought the ending was exciting but didn't turn out as I thought. All in all, I loved it.
Chris Mcgowan
The third in the Emma caldridge series. Just like the "Die Hard" and "Speed" movie series lost steam with each sequel, the same is happening with Emma the action hero.

Maybe I am reading them too close together to fully enjoy, but the plot lines seem to be a bit of a stretch in this one, especially how the lives of characters criss cross throughout this one. Just a little unbelievable for me most of the time. If you can put that aside going in, then you'll enjoy it as much as the others.

I think I
Tatrd
Started a little slower than the first two of the series but got more enthrallng as I went.
February Four
Nice thriller! I like the way it developed.
Rebecca Harrison
just finished "The Ninth Day" by Jamie Freveletti due out in Sept this year It was awesome kept my interest throughout the entire book. Emma, a very gifted runner, is kidnapped by a Mexican cartel and held prisoner. She must find the cure to an unknown and mysterious disease affecting the boss's girlfriend. She has only nine days to find it or she will be tortured and fed to the armadillos. Will she find it or will she be infected and die by the Ninth Day.
Bob Corrigan
This should really be a 3.5 star rating. Possibly because of a string of 'toss aways' that preceded it - this book and the one before it broke a long chain of losers.

This novel is mostly - exclusively I guess you could say - about 'plot.' Plot and action. No breathtaking descriptive passages, no interesting or thoughtful observations, not really a lot of character development - just ... plot. Which I guess I was ready for and simply enjoyed.

Sue Kelso
I liked it. Good poolside reading.
Jan
Loved this one too. Totally hooked on Jamie Freveletti. As a series all together I give it 5 stars. Main character strong and interesting. Other characters are also interesting. Never got bored in any of the books. Just bought the last book in the series and sad it is over. All books worth the time and money.
Ron
I get shin splints just thinking about running track in high school so I never dreamed that novels about a distance runner protagonist would appeal to me. I picked #1 off the shelf while waiting for a guest author to appear and started reading to pass the time. This one is just as good as the first two.
Scott
This is the best of the Emma Caldridge series to date. Jamie came to my librry to talk about her writing methods and her books. It was an wodnerful evening. She has truely found her stride with this novel. Look orward to the new Covert One book that she is writing for the Robert Ludlum estate!
Brittiany
Chemist, Emma Caldridge, finds herself kidnapped and faced with not only her own life hanging in the limbs, but the lives of complete strangers whom she is not willing to run away from.

As usual, this Emma Caldridge story takes off at a full run and doesn't slow down!
Allison
Good, but it did seem to go on and on - more so than the last two. I know I'm reading an adventure, but this was really a bit past the "this could ever happen" range. I was very ready for the resolution at the end of the book.
Kimberly Perch
Enjoyed the first two Emma cauldridge books much better. The action in this book was fast paced and held my interest initially but the plot became too unbelievable. I do like the authors writing style though.
Sue
Oct 10, 2011 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jessi and Cindy
Very good, very fast read. Don't know how she comes up with all the non stop action. Can't wait for the 4th installment of the series.
My actual rating is 4.5 of 5 stars.
Diane Howland
Great book. Very exciting throughout the whole book. Very interesting. A little science, fiction, medicine.
Ruth
Free e-book. 3rd in series, I think. Possibly 4th. Anyway, very intense passages. good read.
Glenelg Libraries
Great female thriller protagonist who for once, isn't a detective/pathologist/private investigator.
Stephanie
Just what you'd expect: non-stop action with a medical mystery.
  • The Thieves Of Legend (Michael St. Pierre, #4)
  • Ruins of War (Mason Collins #1)
  • Thirteen Million Dollar Pop (Frank Behr, #3)
  • Start Shooting
  • Blood of My Brother
  • Foreign and Domestic
  • Asylum City: A Novel
  • Clementine's Shadow
  • Full Tilt
  • Hunt the Wolf (Seal Team Six, #1)
  • Play Dead
  • Sting of the Drone: A Novel
  • Target America (Sniper Elite, #2)
  • Robert B. Parker's Bull River (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #6)
  • PRIMAL Fury (PRIMAL, #4)
  • Dark Spies (Spycatcher, #4)
  • First Avenue
  • In the Morning I'll be Gone (Detective Sean Duffy, #3)
2010773
Jamie Freveletti is a trial attorney, martial artist, and runner. Her debut thriller, RUNNING FROM THE DEVIL (HarperCollins/ Morrow 2009), was chosen as a “Notable Book” by the Independent Booksellers of America, awarded Best First Novel by the International Thriller Writers as well as a Barry Award for Best First Novel. It has been translated into three languages and was an international bestsell ...more
More about Jamie Freveletti...

Emma Caldridge (4 books)
  • Running from the Devil (Emma Caldridge, #1)
  • Running Dark (Emma Caldridge, #2)
  • Dead Asleep  (Emma Caldridge, #4)
The Janus Reprisal (Covert-One, #9) Running from the Devil (Emma Caldridge, #1) Running Dark (Emma Caldridge, #2) Dead Asleep  (Emma Caldridge, #4) The Geneva Strategy (Covert-One, #11)