Start by marking “Can You Keep a Secret?” as Want to Read:
Can You Keep a Secret?

Can You Keep a Secret?

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  251,067 Ratings  ·  8,363 Reviews
With the same wicked humor, buoyant charm, and optimism that have made her Shopaholic novels beloved international bestsellers, Sophie Kinsella delivers a hilarious new novel and an unforgettable new character. Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets:

Secrets from her mother:
I lost my virginity in the spare bedr
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published March 23rd 2004 by Random House Audio (first published 2003)

maricar
don't read this in public..especially if you're by yourself...

this book has been on my wishlist for years (apparently it was earning rave reviews from readers online) and yet everytime i come across this at bookstores i'd tell myself to postpone buying it since it had many copies on shelf. i never even bothered leafing through it. but one day i just decided to actually read its back cover and see what all the hoopla's about.

and then i saw the line, " Secrets she wouldn't share with anyone in the
Stacia (the 2010 club)
So...I really wanted to dislike this book. I was determined not to allow myself to be one of "those girls." You know...the ones who plan ladies night out to watch Sex and the City. I've never had a desire to read Bridget Jones' Diary or The Devil Wears Prada (although I do hate to admit that I actually liked Devil as a movie) I mean, it's Chick Lit. Fluff without the smut. What fun is that?

Turns out, it's more fun than I was expecting. The book started out in such a way that I was expecting to g
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Goal: Read a light book and laugh my ass off.

Result: Read a stupid book that made me want to cut it into little pieces.

Overall Goal: Happiness.

Overall Result: A sh*tty headache.

All my friends gave Can You Keep A Secret? a high score, all of them loved it, all of them asked me to read it.

So I did.

Yep. And I ended up having a headache. Literally. Mrs. Kinsella you owe me a pack of meds and a nice foot massage.

So why did all my friends love this book and I didn’t? I have no idea, to tell you the tr
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Feb 15, 2016 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Alice
Two point five-ish stars ^^

Quirky, hilarious read about a 25 year old clumsy, silly, awkward Emma who is always caught in the most embarrassing situations and thinking she’s probably not yet embarrassed enough, spewed out every single one of her deepest, darkest most embarrassing secrets to a stranger on a plane when she thought they were going to die during a violent turbulence. The horrific result: strange man isn’t a stranger after all. LMAO!

While I wasn’t a fan of Emma (and of any other cha
Zoë
May 02, 2015 Zoë rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun and entertaining book! I laughed out loud multiple times and I also cringed several times because of how embarrassed I was for Emma.
My only problem with this book is that I felt like it could have been longer! It felt rushed at times and I wished there was more of an ending. I wanted to know how it all came together and like, for example, how Kerry was doing (terribly, I hope).
Nevertheless, I really enjoyed reading this book and I can't wait to read more of her novels in the
Pang
“Can You Keep A Secret?” Are you serious?!!??!? NO! I’m gonna spill all your secrets to my friends, Emma. You cannot trust me on this! I’m a bitch, I know. hahaha

can2.jpg

1st secret: Guys.. this clumsy lady, Emma Corrigan is so damn lucky! She not that have much money, but she met an sweet-angel air-hostess so this sweetie air-hostess invite Emma to sit on the plane in Business class!!! She cheat!!! Without anyone else know! so she pretends to be businesswoman. See what she did!

BUT HAHAHAHAAAAAAA….

2rd se
Beverly
Mar 06, 2016 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, this book is laugh out loud funny, like sitting in my cubicle at work just giggling to myself. In the days, I spent reading this one I told numerous people about it because I was just so excited and happy to find a book that made me actual loud out loud. Some of my best friends raved about this book during our girls weekend last year and I was repeatedly told, you have to read this!

Emma Corrigan is a typical girl, just like us or me at least. She is awkward, inappropriate and just trying to
Dija
Feb 08, 2012 Dija rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dija by: Kissa, Jasprit, Jessica, Madu, mrsj, and Aly.
Rating Breakdown:
Enjoyment - 5 stars
Story - 3 stars
Emma - 3.5 stars
Jack - 2 stars
Side characters - 5 stars
Ending - 2.5 stars

The average is 3.5 stars, but since enjoyment is my number one reason for reading in the first place, I'll round it up to 4 stars.

This book is, hands-down, the funniest book I've ever read. I laughed so hard, I had tears in my eyes and cramps in my tummy throughout. This book should come with a warning label, something like, Can You Keep a Secret?... AKA The Sole Cause of
Cecily
Jul 15, 2008 Cecily rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overrated
My first - and almost certainly last - foray into chick lit. Very shallow, contrived and implausible, albeit in a self-conscious ("ironic"?) way.

Although the "plot" may excuse the improbable co-incidences, there is no justification for the ludicrously artificial dialogue. I find all the "poor fluffy little me struggling to bluff it in the big bad grown up world" nauseating. Not as funny as it thinks because the humour, such as it is, is entirely reliant on very cliched stereotypes.

If it were w
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
I swear the moment I was done with this book...I was just so..soo..

SO DAMN FRUSTRATED

The ending seemed so...lacking? Disappointing? Hell !

Fr the first time,in my history of reading books.I actually ended up hating the hero Jack,(view spoiler) instead of the heroine,along with her cousin Kerry (who basically STOLE THE HEROINE'S ENTIRE CHILDHOOD) and her fashion/mommy obsessed roommate Jemima (who basically spent the whole b
Meg ♥
Feb 26, 2012 Meg ♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Meg ♥ by: Jasprit

First of all thank you, Jasprit, for insisting I read this one. A couple of days ago I was sick and in bed all day. I had just finished another book and was wondering which book to start next. I saw this on my Nook and remembered you said it's her best book. This book really made me feel better when I was under the weather.

Emma is 25 and has been through many jobs. She has had a job in marketing for over a year now, and although she does okay, she's not exactly moving up the corporate ladder. Sh
Sara
This book was hilarious. The basic idea is, imagine what would happen if in a moment of panic you were to spill all your darkest secrets to a perfect stranger and of course that stranger was extremely attractive and turned out to be a new big shot at your company, genius uh?
When Emma spills it all out it makes you want to cover your eyes with your hands and tell her:

The fun, as always with Kinsella standalone novels, is guaranteed and the romance is just witty and cute.
(view spoiler)
valee
Aug 04, 2011 valee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cont-romance
Worst book I have read in a LONG, long time. Seriously, How could so many of you like this book? Now I remember why I hate chick-lit so much. After having read and adored Something Borrowed and Something Blue I thought I wasn't giving enough credit to this genre, I thought there were some good books on it out there. Because of this, I went to a list with the best chick-lit books and added them to my TBR pile. This is the first one I try and I completely abhorred it.

I found this read and most of
Shannon (leaninglights)
*full review to come*
Arlene
Sep 19, 2015 Arlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hilarious and entertaining!

Can You Keep a Secret is the type of novel you pick up to relax your imagination and enjoy the ride. I laughed throughout this entire book as Emma Corrigan stumbled through life tripping on mishap after mishap! She was an absolute delightful disaster!

In this novel, Emma Corrigan has high hopes for herself. She’s given an opportunity to represent her corporation in an important client campaign meeting. When the meeting falls apart, that’s only the beginning
Jamie-leigh Haughn
Dec 07, 2014 Jamie-leigh Haughn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Another fun book from Sophie Kinsella!

I always have such a great time with her books, they always put a smile on my face and make me chuckle, and this book is no exception!

I loved the premise of this story, telling a complete stranger all your secrets in a moment of panic, thinking your secrets are safe then BOOM that stranger isn't a stranger anymore! I think it such a fun idea and as always I really enjoyed the characters. I found I could relate with Emma and I enjoyed hearing her story and t
Kate
Oct 11, 2011 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I completely forgot I read this book until I saw some reference to Sophie Kinsella and thought, "Wait, didn't I read something by her?" That's exactly what this book was: mildly entertaining and completely forgettable.
Paige  Bookdragon
What to say about this book?

I remember when my friends and I went to Cebu (another BIG island next to ours. Philippines is composed of of 7,107 islands..)

We went to a supermarket before going to our campsite to buy some basic stuffs.
One of my friends, Jeffrey was with me.(I don't know why he keeps on tagging along with me)

I know my period is just around the corner so I was looking for some tampons.

Now, tell me ladies. Can you buy a tampon with a straight face if one of your very male, very
Nicola
I adored this one! Emma spills all her secrets to a stranger on a plane when she thinks they're about to die- then he turns out to be the millionaire head of the company she works for. The rest of the story is well paced and enjoyable. Emma was a very likable and easy to relate to character and I definitely found myself hoping things would work out for her. The writing is light and witty and the book is impossible to put down. It was a very fun read and definitely on par with Kinsella's Shopahol ...more
Ferdy
2.5 stars - Spoilers

This was kind of fun but also kind of awful, as expected the heroine was an utter idiot and the plot was beyond silly, but I have to admit that there were some funny moments and the story despite being nonsensical was easy to get through and somewhat entertaining.

-Who the hell would reveal ALL their secrets to a total stranger? The heroine (Emma) blurted out every little detail of her life to some random guy sitting next to her just because the plane she was on was going thro
Serena
Aug 13, 2008 Serena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anna Horner
Sophie Kinsella's "Can You Keep a Secret?" blew me away with its wit and humor. There were times when I roared out loud with laughter and there was a time near the end of the book where I wanted to weep. This book surpassed my expectations. After reading the Undomestic Goddess, I was expecting a book that was similarly amusing, but Emma is a much funnier character.

***Spoiler Alert***

When we meet Emma Corrigan she totally messes up a "slam-dunk" business meeting and is headed back to London from
missEvi [can't commit to a book]

Wait, wait.. oops another of my brain cells just committed suicide...

I have to say this is the first time I've read a Kinsella book. I also have to admit that I am not very into chick-lit. But, I have read enough to know that it is not acceptable to base a book on a totally stupid, ignorant and "fake" character! Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to compare this with any "serious literature". I knew what I got myself into. But honestly, there has to be a bottom line to "light read". Many autho
Hippo dari Hongkong
Jun 09, 2008 Hippo dari Hongkong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mereka yang pengen ketawa, gak peduli cewe ato cowo
sebuah pengakuan.. um.. setengah pengakuan lebih tepatnya

chiklit.. chicklit.. cik ah
okay.. okay.. gw baca chicklit juga ahirnya.
kesan pertama baca chiklit gw jadi punya perasaan udah ngintip kehidupan seorang cewe dan rahasia-rahasia mereka. oo.. jadi gini kalo cw lagi ember, oo.. jadi gini cewe kalo lagi dandan, oo.. jadi gini kalo cewe lagi ngegosipin cowo, oo.. jadi gini kalo cewe lagi ngadat, tanpa bermaksud untuk menyamaratakan cewe, jadi maaf kalo ada cewe yang merasa gak seperti itu ya..
Natalie Monroe
Can You Keep a Secret is possibly my favorite Kinsella standalone.

It follows the story of Emma, an ordinary, slightly ditzy girl (think Anna from Anna and the French Kiss) who accidentally spills all her secrets to a stranger on the plane. And that stranger later turns out to be her boss.

In honor of this book—and because I absolutely suck at writing reviews for books I love, I am going to spill to you, strangers of the Internet, all of my secrets. Okay, not all, but five.

1. I used to be majorly
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
Read reviews and more at The Beautiful World of Books!

Everyone has a secret. It's completely normal I'm sure I don't have any more than anybody else. I'm not talking big, earth-shattering secrets. Not the-president-is-planning-to-bomb-Japan-and-only-Will-Smith-can-save-the-world type secrets. Just normal, everyday little secrets.

And when she believes she's about to die on a very turbulent plane ride, Emma Corrigan begins spilling all those tiny, nonsense secrets to her very handsome seat partn
Muse-ic
Mar 31, 2016 Muse-ic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Feels feels feels both good and bad,
I'm both ecstatic and sad.
And in lieu of the mini poem for you,
You must now await the full review!
(Sorry!)
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Adorable and charming!
Nikki
Jul 12, 2008 Nikki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Michelle
Jan 08, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It's just like Julie Andrews said. When the dog bites, when the bee stings...I simply remember I have a boyfriend - and suddenly things don't seem quite so completely shit.
Or however she put it."

This is my first Sophie Kinsella read. At least her fiction works. I read Finding Audrey last year and loved it so I thought I would definitely give her other books a try. I need to say this book was hilarious. I was hysterical with laughter. I don't read many books that make me laugh quite as hard or a
Yodamom
Jul 03, 2014 Yodamom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audio-I was not expecting to laugh myself to tears, not even expecting to really even finish this book. I read it looking to expand my reading pool after a friends fantastic recommendation. it was the funniest book I think I've ever read. I was laughing so hard at time I got loads of weird looks from people while walking my dogs. Oh, well I am the crazy laughing women. The narrator for this book has a dream voice.
Emma, a sweet young women working her way up in a corporation. She tries so hard re
  • Boy Meets Girl (Boy, #2)
  • A Girl Like You
  • The Wedding Girl
  • Millie's Fling
  •  Angels (Walsh Family, #3)
  • The Little Lady Agency and the Prince (The Little Lady Agency, #3)
  • Bridesmaids
  • Manhunting
  • Society Girls
  • Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City (Holly's Inbox #2)
  • Truly Madly Yours (Truly, Idaho, #1)
Madeleine Wickham (born 12 December 1969) is a bestselling British author under her pseudonym, Sophie Kinsella. Educated at New College, Oxford, she worked as a financial journalist before turning to fiction. She is best known for writing a popular series of chick-lit novels. The Shopaholic novels series focuses on the misadventures of Becky Bloomwood, a financial journalist who cannot manage her ...more
More about Sophie Kinsella...

“Relationships are all about trust and equality. If one person shares, then the other person should share, too.” 437 likes
“The truth is, some relationships are supposed to last forever, and some are only supposed to last a few days. That’s the way life is.” 317 likes