It's a Little Book

It's a Little Book

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Now in diapers! For the youngest of readers who still prefer to chew on a book rather than read it, It's a Little Book asks what a book is for--Is it for chewing? Is it for wearing?--and answers the question in a warm and charming way. As funny and captivating as the bestselling It's a Book, It's a Little Book promises to delight a new generation of readers.
Board Book, 24 pages
Published August 30th 2011 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about It's a Little Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's a Little Book

Erin
This is the baby version of It’s a Book by Lane Smith. Shorter, sweeter, and with the characters in diapers, It’s a Little Book is one of those reads that’s fun for parents too. You’ll enjoy a chuckle (in the it’s-funny-because-it’s-true way) at the crazy uses the characters think up for the book in their hands. “Is it for riding?” “No!” “Is it for emailing?” “No!” Finally they arrive at the discovery that it’s a book and is, in fact, for reading.

My son would have nothing to do with this book fo...more
Christie
I had a chance to read the display copy at ALA. Absolutely adorable! Made me wish I still had children who were tiny enough to enjoy a board book. I still might order a copy because it was that much fun! I think even my 4 and 6 year old (who are HUGE It’s A Book fans) would appreciate this version made for the youngest readers.
Angelica
This board book is simple. Simple words and simple phrases tell the story of two friends, one who knows what the object he has is. The other one a donkey who keeps asking questions like is it something to chew, it is something to wear. And each time the answer from his friend is no. But when the friend clearly states its for reading and it's a book both friends sit down to read.

This book is great for parents who are looking to read a great board book with their baby or toddler.

Simple words and p...more
Florian
A nice little abridged version of Lane Smith's It's a Book for the younger reader. This version is softer around the edges (both figuratively and literally since it is a board book) but still full of the original's tongue in cheek humor about the younger generation's technological infatuation to the point of not recognizing a book when they see one.
Kathleen Behrendt
What a great little book this is! The donkey has no clue what to do with the thing in his hand, so he starts guessing. The gorilla patiently answers his questions, until he at last says the book is for reading.

This is a great book to use in a baby or toddler story time, or for preschool teachers.
Dolly
Dec 18, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
Shelves: 2012, childrens
We read It's a Book by Lane Smith about two years ago and we really liked it. I was perusing our local library's collection of board books and saw this version of the tale. It's a little kid version, and I thought it was very cute.

The storyline is pretty much the same; the main difference is that the characters are younger and are wearing diapers and the narrative is very simple. With lots of repetition and adorable illustrations, I think this would be great for toddlers.

As it's missing the bi...more
Brigida
This book is simple and to the point. A book is just for reading and nothing more. This book is a simplified version of the author's other book, "It's A Book." However, "It's A Book" is better but this version is baby friendly which is a plus to parents. Yet, I suggest reading the two books to compare and contrast.

Intended Grade Level: Babies-Kindergarten

Maureen
I read the story, It's a Book first and while I felt that was a clever book, I liked this book better because it was written for its intended audience. The diaper-clad donkey and gorilla are discussing what they found. Each page contains a repetitive "Is it a ..." question from donkey who is trying to determine how to use this new object. Donkey is very creative on how to use this object -- e-mailing, flying, building, etc. Gorilla patiently says no to each of donkey's ideas and finally explains...more
Shaleen
I have mixed emotions about this book. It is presented as a children's book but uses language and concepts that are adult and maybe not the best for young children.
Leigh
Yikes! Sometimes board book adaptations just don't work. I get what Lane Smith is trying to do here... Of course we want children to learn what a book is, how to hold it, and *yes* eventually read books. BUT this is a board book for babies. And a board book IS for chewing (that is how infants explore and learn). A board book IS for building (I use them all the time as blocks in my story play programs). One of the things that youth librarians try to impress upon parents is that board books should...more
Dianne De
For those of you who want milder fare for your bookshelves, Lane Smith created It’s a Little Book. Donkey and Ape are back, but in diapers! Donkey asks, “Is it for wearing? Is it for chewing? Is it for quacking? Is it for building?” Of course, Ape answers, “No, it’s a book.” The ending is not edgy like the first book but very cute and appropriate for all ages. Still, I like the original but this board book is like drinking chocolate milk when you can’t have the chocolate bar. They still taste go...more
Melissa
I read this together with my husband in a bookstore while we were shopping for a pair of newborns, and we thought it was terrible! What small child understands "email" and "typing"? It makes no sense. It's point is cute - one animal doesn't know what to do with a book, and guesses silly things like putting it on his head. But some of the suggestions are way beyond the comprehension of small children. Also why was the monkey ginormous compared to the donkey? My husband found the illustrations cre...more
Heidi
A much more young child-friendly version of the original. Meaning the odd joke at the end was changed and the references were more to what a young child would understand. This was in Board Book format, which I wonder about since I use Board Books for the very, very young and I don't think under preschool-age would get this book. Then again, maybe it's a great way to teach babies and toddlers how to treat books!
Jen
This "little book" is great! The illustrations of the monkey and donkey in diapers are adorable, and I loved the story, too. The suggestions that donkey had for possible uses of the book were hilarious! I liked this version of the story even better than that in It's a Book. :-)
Post Defiance
Originally posted at http://postdefiance.com/literary-gift..., written by Sweet Pea Flaherty.

This board book companion to It’s A Book is deceptively simple and oh-so-loveable. Tweet about it! Share it on Facebook! Post it to your blog! Or, just sit down and share this lovely little book with the lovely little ones in your life.
Michael
Jul 03, 2013 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Michael by: Aleyda
An excellent "Board" book that makes for a great introduction to the book titled "It's A Book", by the same author, Lane Smith. As the back cover states; "The companion to the bestselling "It's a Book", now in diapers! If you have the former, you need to get the latter, and if you have the latter, you need to get the former!
Hope
Adorable board book that can be used to show young children what a book is. I believe this book could be used as an introduction to remind even the older kiddos how to respect books. This is a very simple book with a repeating phrase, which means it could also be used with 1st and 2nd graders, to identify repeating words.
Allison Seremjian
OMG this is an adorable, more kid friendly, version of "It's a book". If you have the first one you have to get this one too. It is very inexpensive and something you could read to children if you'd like! It also looks really cute to display with the larger book :) LOVE LOVE LOVE!
The Flooze
It's a book, silly.

Adorable illustrations and short lines of text show a guessing game between the itty bitty (sometimes) digitally obsessed and a character who's more a fan of a good ol' traditional book.

I'm thinking this author is not too keen on handing smartphones to babies!
Angie
CUTE! New favorite baby book. Well. For the parents of baby, really. Little ones won't get the joke ... but that's OK. The illustrations are adorable.

And the semi-problematic wording of the other version is gone. Again, in that case, it was really a book for adults all along.
Megan
Jan 03, 2012 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddler and up
This is a much less controversial and more child friendly version of Lane Smith's "It's a Book." While the characters are the same, and the basic idea of the book is the same, the word "jackass" does not appear, so parents and librarians can share this book without hesitation.
Jackie
Could this book be any cuter? It's a little version of It's a Book!. Donkey is berfuddled, confused, and mixed-up...can't figure out what this crazy thingamabob is! Gorilla is exasperated by donkey's questions...."It's a Little Book!", of course, Silly.
E
A hardcore fan of It's a Book, I was suspicious this toddler's version would be nothing but a cheap knock-off. However, I ended up reading it six times in a row to the 2 year-old and 4 year-old in my life, and they laughed themselves senseless every time.
Lisa Nagel
Not quite as much fun as it's big brother, but a cute book, and minus the language that made It's a Book hard to read to the younger ages.
Shelli
More appropriate version for very young readers of the hysterical picture book It's A Book. I'm sure this board book will be many things to your little ones, even though the book tells them "No" it is not for eating or wearing.
Esther
This is the board book version of Smith's "It's a Book" with some changes to it. Personally, the changes made it cute, funny and more appropriate and less condescending than the original which I did not like.
Huda
Dec 15, 2011 Huda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nojood
One of the cuties!! I LOVED IT
When I first read this little one, I was thinking like "this IS written for kids, the other one is more for the older ones D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y
I would read this to my KGs
Peacegal
Ok, this one is a bit lackluster if you have the original in mind. However, while It's a Book was a children's book for adults, It's a Little Book actually is for children.
Dana Wright
This book is for anyone who hates the digital age and wants their kids to read a real paper book. :) great humor. Very like the adult version, but more kid friendly
  • Because I'm Your Dad
  • Night-Night, Little Pookie
  • Nelly May Has Her Say
  • Harold's Fairy Tale
  • Tiptoe Joe
  • Yawn
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
  • Bogart and Vinnie: A Completely Made-up Story of True Friendship
  • How to Be a Cat
  • 999 Tadpoles
  • The Black Rabbit
  • This Plus That: Life's Little Equations
  • M.O.M. (Mom Operating Manual)
Smith was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but moved to Corona, California at a young age. He spent summers in Tulsa, however, and cites experiences there as inspirations for his work, saying that "[o]nce you've seen a 100-foot cement buffalo on top of a donut-stand (sic) in the middle of nowhere, you're never the same."

He studied art in college at the encouragement of his high school art teacher, helping...more
More about Lane Smith...
It's a Book Grandpa Green John, Paul, George & Ben Abe Lincoln's Dream Madam President