Blank-133x176
Blood Is The Sky

Steve Hamilton

Blood Is The Sky (Alex McKnight #5)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,655 ratings  ·  103 reviews
Winning the Edgar Award for "A Cold Day in Paradise," Steve Hamilton introduced one of the most compelling characters in modern fiction: Alex McKnight, a gritty ex-Detroit cop who can't say no to a friend in need-no matter the cost. Now McKnight finds himself in the forests of northern Ontario, a land of savage beauty and sudden danger, where some secrets just won't stay b...more
Hardcover
Published June 1st 2004 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Is The Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Is The Sky

Jerry
This is my third novel by Steve Hamilton, and the second in the Alex McKnight series. Steve Hamilton is a great writer, I really enjoy his style. This one is set deep in the Canadian wilderness, with a focus on the relationship between Alex and his good friend and neighbor Vinnie. They take a break from rebuilding Alex's cabin to go find out what has happened to Vinnie's brother, who has gone missing up in the Canadian wilderness. A convicted felon on parole, Vinnie's brother Tom has assumed Vi...more
Gloria Feit
What are friends for? Well, Alex McKnight demonstrates just that in this novel which takes him and his erstwhile friend, Vinnie Le Blanc, on a stormy adventure way up in the wilds of northern Canada. It starts when Vinnie, with whom Alex has been at odds since an event in the previous novel in the series, asks Alex to help him find his brother, who is days overdue returning home after accompanying a hunting party as their scout at a Canadian lodge.

To complicate matters, Vinnie’s brother Tom is o...more
Matt Allen
Steve Hamilton writes clean, full-blooded stories. It's impressive how he packs so much of an experience into relatively few words.

I admit it had been a bit since I'd read the last Alex McKnight and I'd forgotten how much I like Hamilton's style. Light prose that packs a great punch. Blood is the Sky is more of the same. I mean this is only a good way--I don't know if I've read a book of this length (barely over three hundred pages for the mass market paperback) that left me feeling as if I'd b...more
Cindy
There are several reasons why I like Steve Hamilton's books: 1) Set in the UP in places that I have visited. 2) Simple dialogue and description...one needs a break from James Lee Burke occasionally! 3) Interesting plots and lots of action 4) I just like the way Alex McKnight thinks and talks. Quick, easy, satisfying read. And contrary to what others may say, the books don't have to be read in order. There is enough background to explain who the recurring characters are.
Anita
I picked up this paperback and was pleasantly surprised. "An Alex McKnight novel" Vinnie is searching for a brother who went to Canada as a guide for 'businessmen from Detroit'. I loved the combination of hard-core city cop and reservation culture. Good stuff.
Lynette Barfield

Light entertaining action. Not as good as some of his others but still Very readable. Good friends, good food and a certain amount of humor as well as interesting locations help to keep up the suspense and action. I like his writing style a lot.
Gina Williams
Alex McKnight is rebuilding the cabin his father built, destroyed by fire, when his neighbor Vinnie, an Ojibwa Indian, lends a hand. As the fall season wanes and winter threatens to halt construction Alex becomes aware of the disappearance of Vinnie's younger brother Tom. Together they set out in search of Tom, and the Detroit businessmen he was guiding for, in northern Ontario's forests only to discover they're following a cold trail. If things weren't already complicated, Vinnie explains that...more
Randy Daugherty
Blood is the Sky by Steve Hamilton- Tom Leblanc a young man out on parole trying to get his life back in order.Life and money is hard to come by on the Rez unless you work the casinos but Tom cannot obtain work there as he is a felon.Vinnie Leblanc, Tom's brother who himself has tried to get his life in order. Vinnie deals blackjack at the local casino but is the blacksheep of the family. Vinnie lives off the Rez though at times you would never know it.Vinnie has an offer to guide a hunting part...more
Maddy
RATING: 4.75

At various times in their relationship, Alex McKnight and his best friend, Vinnie Red Sky LeBlanc, an Ojibwa Indian who lives in a nearby cabin rather than on the reservation, find themselves at odds with one another. They always manage to set aside their differences, even though there are sometimes some major issues between them. The relationship between Alex and Vinnie is beautifully drawn. They are definitely brothers in spirit, if not in blood, and come through for each other tim...more
Lani
I've read and finished a book a day from this series for the past week, and this is his best work yet. Not only is it a crime thriller, it's also a story about friendship, family, and the past. It tells the story in a way that makes everyone so real that it's hard to put the book down. Highly recommended. In fact, if you haven't read any other Steve Hamilton books, you can start with this one. Each book is stand-alone and can be read out of order if really necessary.
Jon
I've been reading these thriller/mysteries in order, and this one is up to the usual standard. I could not imagine what explanation could account for the disappearances and mayhem in this one until it all came together fairly late in the book. And then even tying up the loose ends was exciting. These are all excellent page-turners. Well crafted, good characters, carefully constructed plots.
Melissa
Found this series in my local library. I love the character, Alex McKnight, the author has made me emotionally invest in McKnight and root for him while he endures the mysteries and conflict that cross his path and while he tries to get the girl. Great for winter weekends.
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Love every single one of Steve Hamilton's Alex McKnight mysteries set in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. In this 2003 work, Alex begins to rebuilt his father's cabin, and Vinnie LeBlanc joins in to help with the heavy lifting. More from Vinnie's reservation, about his Ojibwa family and heritage, great background with healing sweats.

Time and distance are collapsed, as Alex thinks nothing of driving 4-10 hours at a stretch, no matter the weather.

Blood is the Sky reaches so far out in the remote C...more
Pamela
An up-all-night page-turner - Steve Hamilton stepped up the action and fanned the suspense flames with this installment in the Alex McKnight series. A series that continues to evolve in strength, wit, and creative depth. Hamilton fans won't be disappointed.
Carol
Best Steve Hamilton yet. I couldn't put it down to find out what happened even though I know Alex and Vinnie live to be in the next book. A fun break from more serious reading. And still wonderful descriptions of places I have spent a lot of time Bay Mills and the Soo and places I have been Wawa with its goose and Sudbury.
Brian Clapper
I put this series in the category of "television substitutes," and the books are all thoroughly enjoyable examples of that category. The main character, Alex McKnight; is a former minor league baseball player, a former Detroit cop (who took three bullets during the shooting that killed his partner); and an uninterested, but licensed, private investigator. He considers himself a failure at all three. He lives in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, where he ends up sticking his nose into problems that, in...more
Linda
Love this series. Started reading because they take place in the UP of Michigan - a really beautiful area. Alex McKnight is a great character. And I like learning a little about the Ojibwa Indians. This is the best yet in a great series.
Kim
loved it! S Hamilton is getting better with each book. I am not big on coincidences but I can live with the one in this book, wish Hamilton made it a set up instead of a coincidence (without giving anything away, I will leave it vague.) And quite honestly, Hamilton makes the reader think that you can't go into a bar in the Upper Peninsula without running into jackasses and getting beat up, but I know better. Even with these 2 annoying things, I love his books. I read this in one night because I...more
Patricia
Gripping story line, very relatable characters. The fact that it's set in my favorite place on earth - northern Ontario - is a big bonus.
Steve Hamilton writes another winner in his Alex McKnight series, with a twist at the end that I didn't see coming.
Laura Shannon
I am really enjoying this series. This particular installment is one of the best murder mysteries I've read in a long time.
Judith
One of the few mysteries set in the upper peninsula of Michigan, where I grew up. I didn't realize that when I bought it.

Alex McKnight is prevailed upon to find a friend's missing brother, who had taken a group of Detroit businessmen on a hunting trip in the wilds of Canada. The more Alex and his friend, Vinnie LeBlanc, look into this the stranger and more dangerous it appears. Alex and Vinnie find themselves far from any help and sitting ducks as targets.

Complicated, absorbing. And with the bi...more
Kathleen
enjoyed it enough to want to try others by this author
Dee
Another story about the Upper Peninsula in Michigan. Steve Hamilton, though currently from New York, is a Michigan product. This story is the best Alex McKnight I've read. The mystery travels from the U.P. to Canada searching for the missing hunters from Detroit and Vinnie LeBlanc's brother. It gives you a feel for the isolation for much of the North American continent. Hamilton's knowledge and resources for American Indian lore is also revealed in his stories, especially this one. Similar to Wi...more
Stefani
Lindig
Interesting insight into northern Indian culture and the nature of brotherhood. I got a little tired of the driving back and forth from Paradise to the lodge in Canada. And I'm not so sure I like McKnight -- he seems so burned out there's nothing left, not ethics, not humor, only his connection to Vinnie. I'm pretty sure I read another of these books a few years ago but didn't remember anything of it. This book is very much like that -- unmemorable but perhaps a good read while traveling.
Mike Debaptiste
This is another Alex McKnight mystery and I think it's the best one of them all. The brother of Alex's Ojibwa Indian friend Vinnie goes missing after guiding some hunters across the border in Ontario. Alex and Vinnie go in search of him and get into an incredible adventure in the north country that was intensely thrilling. If you've ever spent time in the Canadian bush, you gotta read this one. The books in this series never fail to chill and thrill!
Cindy Fisher
After reading the most recent Alex McKnight book by Steve Hamilton, I started at the beginning of the series to work through it in order. Blood is the Sky is number 5 in the series and, in my humble opinion, is just as great as the original, A Cold Day in Paradise. If you love flawed ex-cops with morals and integrity, the upper peninsula of Michigan, Native American myths, stories, beliefs, etc., this series is a wonderful series.
Johnnie Gee
Alex McKnight becomes involved with helping Vinnie an Ojibwa Indian, to find his brother who disappeared while being a guide for a group of men from Detroit.

Not sure I even like Vinnie who is very strange but as I said in another review there is only one fo Alex's friends that I like and who adds to the stories.

The store itself is interesting while not being the of the better books in the series.

Sheila
Another Alex McKnight which is really a tangled mystery. I never had a clue until the end as to the cause of all this killing and the cause. Poor Alex and his Indian friend Vinnie have a tough row in this story - and lots of road time. It's worth the read. Unfortunately I did not get to read this series in order, as it would be better that way. But one can survive skipping around obviously.
  • Boundary Waters (Cork O'Connor, #2)
  • Savage Run (Joe Pickett, #2)
  • The Snowfly
  • Sorrow's Anthem (Lincoln Perry Series #2)
  • Trespasser (Mike Bowditch, #2)
  • Die Easy (Charlie Fox Thriller, #10)
  • Walking the Perfect Square (Moe Prager #1)
  • The Hanging Tree (Starvation Lake, #2)
  • Rogue Island (Liam Mulligan, #1)
LET IT BURN, the next Alex McKnight novel, coming Summer 2013
More about Steve Hamilton...
The Lock Artist A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1) Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8) Winter of the Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight, #2) North of Nowhere (Alex McKnight, #4)

“It was a lesson I had taken most of my life to learn. Sometimes you have to let things go.” 3 likes