Start by marking “My Story” as Want to Read:
My Story

My Story

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  467 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Sarah, Duchess of York, known affectionately to millions around the world as Fergie, tells of her divorce from Prince Andrew, along with the frustrations, humiliations, and occasional joys of her life as a Windsor.
Published April 1st 1997 by Pocket Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about My Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Story

Whine, whine, poor me, everybody hates me. STFU. You married into the British Royal Family, into a life of luxury, your husband adored you and you fucked it up.

That is all.
So happy I read this. During the time that she was experiencing this, I was going through my own "drama". I hardly knew what the weather was, let alone what was going on in the world. It is sad that their separation had to come about, and then eventually, the divorce. They truly loved each other, protocol got in the way. Fergie would have found the same treatment in all income and social strata, though. There is always someone some where that is not content with people being individuals and livi ...more
Maureen Kilroy Furtado
This book should be retitled "1001 Excuses for my Bad Behaviour" (see what I did there?)
Unlike the late Princess Diana, Sarah Ferguson was more than old enough and experienced enough to know what she was getting herself in to when she married Prince Andrew. She continuously blames the Royal monarchy for all of her public faux pas situations and when that becomes impossible to do, she attempts to lie herself in to your good grace. For instance, John Bryan wasn't sucking her goes in the famous pap
How can someone tell you everything without really telling you nothing at all? That is how I felt this book read. I really didn't walk away with a greater understanding Fergie. In many ways it seems like she takes responsibility for her actions, but then she puts a lot of blame on the Gray Men and The Firm. She makes it sound like she and Andrew have unconditional love for each other - still - yet they are divorced. I can see where she was never shown how to be a Royal, but she never really aske ...more
Very guilty read, but enjoyable. I don't know that this book would appeal to readers who are not interested in the royals, but I have to admit to a fascination with almost anything British. I think the Duchess of York was treated pretty shabbily by the royal family, as Diana was, but she also made some embarrassing mistakes. She comes off as a very real, down-to-earth person, and I liked her.
Once the darling of the media and the British Royal Family, Sarah Ferguson was considered to be more popular than that of her best friend, the late Diana, Princess of Wales because of her outgoing personality.

That was until she was caught topless with a man not her husband sucking on her toe.

This books falls along the lines of a "woe-is-me" and a stretch of truth over her behavior. To me, she doesn't even seem to be remorseful toward any of it but preferring to blame it entirely on being "bulli
Lynne Stringer
I enjoyed hearing Sarah's story from her own lips, especially when it came to her difficulties with the 'grey men'. I have no problem believing that their influence within the royal family is very real and probably extremely difficult for an outsider to deal with. I thought the story seemed honest and thoughtfully told.
It started off good, as I enjoyed reading about her life as a child. The rest of the book which was about her life as a Royal was terribly boring.
Bored me to tears. I love the inside information on the Royals, and that is about all I liked about this book. There is too much whining, and crying, and complaining and more whining. Good grief. She tries at the end to show how far she's come... but I don't buy it. Self-esteem and self-respect were at zero. Problem is... when one has no self-esteem/respect, that person cannot be trusted. She needs to really make every effort to stop the negative self-talk and maybe begin taking responsibility f ...more
I read this in honor of the upcoming royal wedding of Kate and Will. I wanted to read something connected to the royal family and I found this one on my shelves having taken it from my mother's house. I really liked it even more than I had expected. If possible, I would give it 3.5 stars.

It was a very interesting story of an "ordinary" girl who found herself in a most unlikely place - wife to a prince. She found the life of a prince's wife to be overwhelming with expectations of exact behavior a
Cheryl Savage
When I first read this book I could not put it down, it was the fastest book I'd ever read to be honest. She tells such an interesting tale and you can not recant her words as anything but 100% honest. Her story of the beginning and the end of her experiences with the Royal family is fascinating and she discusses such moments in great detail. I admired her greatly before I read the book, and became a fan and supporter of her ambitions, continued struggles and her many successes after.
Really juicy but definitely a one woman pity party. I mean, I get that being in the royal family could be isolating and awful, as a matter of fact this book has turned me off the idea once and for all. But I honestly could not understand how she managed her money so poorly and was always jetting off on vacations. I mean it's a nice life if you can hack it but c'mon. While I did enjoy this book a great deal, there's a whole lot of "poor little rich girl" going on which is sometimes unbearable.
This was a mess. The writing was weighed down by over use of analogies, metaphors and melodrama. The content painted a portrait of someone desperate to correct her public image while skimming over and then taking zero responsibility for her own actions and then their consequences. I usually enjoy memoirs and autobiographies, but this was impossible to enjoy with the subject coming off entirely unlikable.
Samuel Rogers
I appreciated the Duchess of York's candor, but sometimes it came across as obscene. She did admit to causing damage and shirking duty, but there was a pathetic and self-serving undertone to the whole book.

There was a very serious message of redemption and I appreciated her resolve to move forward and be a force of good.
Victoria Grusing
This was a sad situation as she didn't have much of a family background in normal relationships. When she became part of the royal family, they should have spent time teaching what was expected. Also, she might have asked what was expected.
Marsha Tabor
There's no way I could've lived in the fish bowl Sarah Ferguson did with any more positive result
This book was a fascinating glimpse into royal life and expectation. I applaud her for her spunk, wit, and realism.,,,
She really opens ones eyes to the reality of being royal. I loved her book and my understanding of her grew leaps and bounds.
Carol Dunn
She hated his family. Sad, but true.
Susan Mcswain
What insight this brave young woman gained through such adversity as she experienced from some very cruel, controlling people, especially the Grey Men, as they were known. What a wonderful thing for her to realize her own worth and value in spite of the events as a Royal that occurred. What a great at statement in her "I am my own woman now, ready to go forward. I have my life back, and I will not let go of it". She has accomplished so much and helped so many that she should be applauded!
I loved this book. The British Royal Family is a guilty pleasure of mine ever since William & Kate's wedding in 2011. Since then I want to learn more about the women of the BRF.
I felt like Sarah was so easily relatable. She was an insecure, shy girl before stepping into the title of Duchess. I felt like her marriage would've survived had Andrew not been a Prince and they had true love for one another.
I saw myself in Sarah which is probably why I loved this book so much.
Rhina Guidos
got it for 5O cents at the thrift store for easy reading on the train. skipped a lot of parts because it gets repetitive and she victimizes herself a little too much. there are obvious problems of paranoia in her acct. but some parts are pretty interesting, esp. when you see a regular person suddenly become royalty and experiences the trappings. parts fascinating, parts boring but if you're trapped on a plane or train, it keeps you entertained. easy reading.
This was a wonderful book that I read on the plane trip home from Germany. Even a princess can have problems with insecurity, but she conquered them and went on to lead HER life in the way that worked best for her and her daughters. She's made quite a difference in many peoples' lives (including my own) and I took much strength from her honesty.
Like others have mentioned, the self-loathing was laid on pretty thick and after awhile, I was like, "I GET IT, YOU DON'T LIKE YOURSELF!!!" But, to be fair, I suppose that really is how bad she felt. An interesting look at the inside workings of the Royals and the people behind the scenes.
The Duchess of York fascinated me from the minute she started making headlines. I could relate to her as a person (not so much as a Duchess, though) and the public humiliation she endured over her weight and relationships. For someone not-so-fond of biographies, this was one I thoroughly enjoyed.
A very well-written insightful look into the life of this amazing woman. She is very forthright and open about every aspect of her life. Gives an in depth look at what it is like to be a part of the Royal Family; good or bad. She shares with us all her highs and lows. Fascinating read.
Kellie Uhrig
I really wanted to give this book a one star because I just couldn't stand her, but it was interesting. I just can't imagine that 500 years from now those in the future will enjoy reading a book about her as "historical fiction" (as I enjoy historical fiction by P. Gregory and others).
Susan Jones
A little too much time was spent on the Duchess' self-loathing, however it was written over a decade ago when she was much younger and immature. I enjoyed reading her perspective on the royals and the committments and sacrifices they make.
Carol Cropp
Sadly Sarah Ferguson seems to have a 'self destruct' button that she presses more times then is good for her! And she seems aware of this but still seems to do it! I did enjoy reading this book even though I think she gave in to easily!
This book was about the time frame when Sarah Ferguson had just been separated from her husband. It describes life from the time she married to her span of living with the Royals. Interesting.
Bought this for my collection of Royalty books and this was back when I actually liked Sarah's take on the world, before she became the train wreck of 2011 in regards to the British Royal Family.
  • A Royal Duty