Start by marking “Annotated Alice: Complete Text and Original Illustrations in Only Fully Annotated Edition” as Want to Read:

Annotated Alice: Complete Text and Original Illustrations in Only Fully Annotated Edition (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1-2)

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  5,441 ratings  ·  427 reviews
Bringing together a lifetime's work on Lewis Carroll, this work looks at Carroll's puzzles and games of logic and focuses on topics ranging from Alice's influence on the Beat poet, Jack Kerouac to how mercury in hat linings turned hatters mad.
Published August 28th 1993 by Bramhall House (distributed by Crown Publishers Inc.) (first published 1960)

This edition has an interesting and informative introduction in which Martin Gardner refers to “the Bible and all other great works of fantasy,” which amused me. The annotations to the text are often quite interesting if somewhat intrusive; I found it best to read all of them for a chapter before beginning to read the chapter itself, having them then in my knowledge base without having to be interrupted from the flow of the story. I enjoying all the punning. I had not realized that the songs wer ...more
I recently saw a review where someone had read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, felt completely confused, and was basically told by all commenters that "Carroll was on Opium," as an explanation for the weirdness of the writing. I suggest that original poster, instead, pick up a copy of The Annotated Alice. Both Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass were essentially written for one person, Alice Liddell. Most of the references in the books that are completely odd are in- ...more
All in the golden afternoon
Full leisurely we glide;
For both our oars, with little skill,
By little arms are plied,
While little hands make vain pretence
Our wanders to guide.

Ah, cruel Three! In such an hour,
Beneath such dreamy weather,
To beg a tale of breath too weak
To stir the tiniest feather!
Yet what can one poor voice avail
Against three tongues together?

Imperious Prima flashes forth
Her edict "to begin it":
In gentler tones Secunda hopes
"There will be nonsense in it!"
While Tertia interrupts the ta
I don't think I would have half the appreciation I now do for Lewis Carroll if it weren't for the annotations accompanying this edition of the text. Besides the grunt work of explaining Victorian terms and concepts now outdated (look up bathing machines for the example I found most strange), the annotations shed on light on the emotional dimension to the books, which seems like an absurd idea at first glance given that they're nonsense tales. But Lewis Carroll adored Alice Liddell -- innocently ...more
I've read this about six times, but this is my only time since late elementary school. Carroll's nonsense is incredibly clever, with cold jokes slipped into the text without calling attention to themselves and a marvelous degree of consistency. This volume contains both Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There, and as this is the only edition I have ever read, the two become a sort of giant work simply thought of as Alice. The two stories are bot ...more
Reseña completa: http://laestanteriadeithil.blogspot.c...

Recién terminado: me cuesta tener una opinión precisa de este libro por lo raro y extraño que ha sido su lectura. A pesar de estar anotado, siento que hay muchas cosas que no he terminado de entender. Pero indudablemente ha sido entretenido.

Opinión personal: Alicia en el país de las maravillas y A través del espejo creo que es una lectura peculiar, muy difícil de recomendar. Es más, os recomendaría acercaros a ella por propia voluntad, si
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
This beautiful hardbound edition of both Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass is made heavenly by the inclusion of luxurious annotations, original illustrations by John Tenniel, and a long-lost chapter. Editor Gardner reprints acres of trivia provided by scholars and fans in the annotations, which range from definitions or contextual clues to (like suggested answers to the famous riddle "Why is a raven like a writing-desk?"). At times, the annotations seem a little indulgent (there ...more
What a delightfully odd story. I had never read either of the Alice stories before, though I am very familiar with both Disney adaptations. I went into it thinking they would be more symbolic than they ended up being, though it may just be that I need to give them another read through to really get at it and a better understanding of Carroll's time. (Though I gave the annotations some attention at first, I found they interrupted the flow of the stories, so after time I barely bothered with them. ...more
Nicky Penttila
I've read "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" at least a dozen times, and noticed something new and intriguing each time, which is why it earns 5-stars. The annotations in this edition add even more.

Fantastic wordplay, satirical takes on then-famous poems, and illustrations that do double- and triple-duty add layers to a "kid-sized" story of adventure.

I love how the sentences challenge our assumptions of how language works, what metaphor, grammar, and style can do. Alice's rea
Emma Decker
SPOILER ALERT Little Alice who is so bored of her older sister reading to her, finds a small rabbit hole and goes down to find the most wonderful and strange world she had ever seen. Along her journey she meets the White Rabbit, Queen of Hearts, the Mad Hatter and not to forget the Cheshire Cat. Soon Alice discovers that wonderland is quite queer, and is soon changing size, chasing a White Rabbit, and trying to keep her head. What I love about this book is the strange characters and the personal ...more
Cecily Erker
I have an earlier edition of this book, but I'm still gonna review it. This book is basically Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, along with everything you could ever possibly want to know about its symbols, interpretations, historical context and underlying psychodynamics (like how the rabbit hole is apparently a vagina). A disturbing but plausible conspiracy theory introduced is that Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) may have mentally been a pedophile, but never committed any ...more
Sam Whitehouse
I had to read this for University in order to write a short paper. Whilst i hate Alice in Wonderland as a book in itself, this companion/encyclopedia/critical aid was invaluable in understanding some of the crazy stuff that goes on in Carroll's book. I would never read this for pleasure, but as an academic resource it is very helpful.
Well, that was fun!

I started reading Alice in Wonderland a few times as a child, but always stopped, because I didn't really like it - I got frustrated at all the things that didn't make sense (I know, it's not supposed to make sense, but as a child, I liked books that clarified the world, rather than obscure it!). But it's always been on my mind that I should read it all the way through as an adult, because whenever people talk about it, it sounds fun, and like it involves the kind of playing
This book is the classic story of Alice In Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass annotated with lots of annotations that explains many of the allusions that may be missed by a casual reader not familiar with the British society of Lewis Carroll's time.

The annotations are very interesting and provide good information about the text that help with a deeper understanding.

I read this book because I like Alice in Wonderland and wanted to learn more.
One of my favorite stories of all time!And this edition is beyond perfect!

I might start this review by saying that last year I discovered that my whole childhood was a lie. I was taking a "Children's Literature" class at my college, and the time I was hoping for that we would get to Alice arrived, so when I came back home I picked up my copy on my shelves. Just to see that it wasn't a translated version of Carroll's original text, but an adaptation...

Then, my teacher brought part of her amazing
This book is fantastic if you want to know the real meaning behind the nonsense in 'Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.'

April 26, 2009
I'm leading my book club discussion in May on Alice and I'm using this as my Bible.

May 12, 2009
I love all the tidbits and info this book contains...the explanation of the nonsense and all of the inside jokes.
This is the book that made me a reader. I remember hiding under the covers with a lamp so I could stay up a little later and keep reading. I got in a lot of trouble over this book. I also killed my vision. Fran recently brought me an annotated copy of this book from Oxford (England), where Carroll wrote the book. It is amazing!
If you like the story of Alice in Wonderland, you'll love all these extra tidbits from Martin Gardner, forerunner in literary Alice knowledge.

This annotated compilation includes both "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" with easy access notes along the margins. Having never read both books all the way through before, I found Carroll's inside jokes, mathematical puns, and general oddity that much more enjoyable with the reasons and origins behind his works readily available.

Be wa
although fascinated by its immense historical significance and mathematical, logical and fantastical elements i didn't appreciate it as literature. wonderland is definitely the superior work, as the plotting of looking glass is tedious and forced, with its parade of disconnected episodes. i couldn't help disliking dodgson.
I've already reviewed Alice in Wonderland, so this is really a review of Through the Looking glass.

This story is charming, if possibly slightly less coherent. There is a bit of a plot- Alice arrives at the chessboard and must get to the other side (8 squares) in order to be crowned queen. The chess metaphors are fantastic here, and moviegoers will appreciate the fact that parts of the Disney movie contain chunks of both stories (Tweedledum and Tweedledee are from Looking Glass).

The benefit of th
Grace Jensen
When Alice in Wonderland came up on our list, I was super excited, and then another person recommended this.

I have read Alice before, and the *extreme* annotation were a delight to have. With the first book, it was almost like I was being explained too much. But Through the Looking Glass was (imho) the superior book in purpose, structure, and symbolism. THAT I was thankful to have so many annotations for, it made it a wonderful experience.

It even addresses the outright accusations of Carroll's.
Christina Rau
I wish the footnotes weren't so distracting and teeny tiny. Some of them were really intriguing, but lots of them were overdone. However, this was the first real time I read Alice In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass straight through, so that made me feel accomplished.
This is the best way to read this book. If you're going to delve into the madness of Lewis Carroll, you might as well have a road map. Insights into the political humor and riddles Alice encounters makes this edition a wild ride.
Alethea A
Do not read if you don't like math or trivia. This is nothing but. Oh! and politics! There's politics, contemporary to Carroll's time, of course. If you wanted a peek at the strange genius mind of Lewis Carroll, there is no better window.
A very important book...Alice in Wonderland opened up the possibilities of literaure in my childhood. I still read it about once a year. I love the sense of wonder and possibility.
"Lewis Carroll is one of the most fascinating human beings. I love this book, and you're mistaken if you think it's limited to children. Not so. This is genius art here for all ages."
DeAnna Knippling

I have to give this four stars only because there is SO much non-text information in this edition that it gets in the way of enjoying the story. Beautiful edition.
Mel Belstein
Excelente. Los comentarios son muy completos en lo que respecta a matematica y logica (especialidad de Carroll), filosofia, los avatares politicos de aquella epoca, los juegos de ingenio, la vida personal de carroll y de las tres hermanas Liddell que inspiraron la obra.
Estan comentados tanto Alicia en el Pais de las Maravillas como Alicia a traves del Espejo. Las peliculas de Disney hacen como un mash-up entre los dos libros y la verdad es que son dos obras bien diferentes. Si bien ambas empieza
I've been meaning for years to get around to reading the Alice books again. This is a beautifully done edition complete with extensive annotation and the original Tenniel illustrations.

Obviously, not everyone will be interested in every note in this book, particularly as some of them delve deeply into physics or mathematics, but overall they are illuminating. I particularly liked that they explained which particular poems of the day Carroll was spoofing.

I'm actually thinking about getting a copy
Another re-visit. A great one.
Goodreads Librari...: Two Book Editions Are One 10 17 Dec 19, 2014 06:52PM
Goodreads Librari...: Possible Wrong ISBN? 7 16 Dec 19, 2014 03:28PM
  • The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales
  • The Annotated Brothers Grimm (Annotated Books)
  • The Annotated Hans Christian Andersen
  • All Things Alice: The Wit, Wisdom,and Wonderland of Lewis Carroll
  • The Annotated Peter Pan
  • The Other Alice: The Story of Alice Liddell and Alice in Wonderland
  • The Annotated Wind in the Willows
  • In the Shadow of the Dreamchild: The Myth and Reality of Lewis Carroll
  • The Annotated Hobbit: The Hobbit, Or, There and Back Again
  • Lewis Carroll: A Biography
  • The Mystery of Lewis Carroll: Discovering the Whimsical, Thoughtful, and Sometimes Lonely Man Who Created "Alice in Wonderland"
  • The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Illustrated Short Stories (#3-4, 6 ,8-9)
  • The Wonderful O
  • The Classic Fairy Tales
  • Hill of Dreams
  • Inventing Wonderland: the Lives and Fantasies of Lewis Carroll, Edward Lear, J.M. Barrie, Kenneth Grahame and A.A. Milne
  • The Light Princess and Other Fairy Stories
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

More about Lewis Carroll...

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (2 books)
  • Alice in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #1)
  • Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #2)
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass Alice in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #1) Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #2) Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories The Complete Stories and Poems

“Take care of the sense and the sounds will take care of themselves.” 195 likes
“Her constant orders for beheading are shocking to those modern critics of children's literature who feel that juvenile fiction should be free of all violence and especially violence with Freudian undertones. Even the Oz books of L. Frank Baum, so singularly free of the horrors to be found in Grimm and Andersen, contain many scenes of decapitation. As far as I know, there have been no empirical studies of how children react to such scenes and what harm if any is done to their psyche. My guess is that the normal child finds it all very amusing and is not damaged in the least, but that books like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz should not be allowed to circulate indiscriminately among adults who are undergoing analysis.” 17 likes