Start by marking “Big Big Love” as Want to Read:
Big Big Love

Big Big Love

At last, a book that covers the how-tos and why-tos of sexuality from the point of view of big folks and those who love them! "Big Big Love" is a no-holds-barred, yet lighthearted, overview of sex for everybody from the chubby to the supersized. Detailed and realistic information on improving self-image, partner-finding, sexual positions and activities, resources for toys ...more
Published February 25th 2015 by Greenery Press (CA) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Big Big Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Big Love

Candice
Oct 06, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such lovely, insightful read. I poured through this thing in a minute and really adore her humor and conversational style, though repetitious in spots to catch the chapter-here-chapter-there reader jumping between topics. Equally self-revelatory and probing into the sex lives of other fat people and the FAs/ FFAs who desire fat bodies for any number of reasons - from deeply romantic love to the more problematic and spectacular aspects of fetish, dominance over and humiliation of fat bod ...more
Krissy Delovely
While the title of this book pinpoints the audience as "people of size and those who love them", I believe everyone could benefit from reading this book as it focuses on equity for all. This book opened my eyes to the challenges that people of size (or fat people as I'm going to use from now on in this review because I own that phrase for myself) have in the world. While this book is marketed as a sexual manual, it is so much more than that. The first half of the book focuses on issues and chall ...more
duck reads
May 23, 2013 duck reads rated it liked it
Shelves: ww, nonfic
Good basic coverage of a variety of subjects relating to fat sexuality, subdivided into copious subheadings within each chapter--this book is really well organised. It also backs up its fat-positive message with loving descriptions of how fat bodies look and feel to convey a real-feeling appreciation of fat sensuality, as well as a fuckton of info pertaining to fat sexuality. Add in the specific position suggestions and realistic-style drawings and you get a feeling of overall frankness and comf ...more
Danni Green
I have to be perfectly honest and say that I was disappointed with the revised edition of this book. I read the original version over a decade ago, when I was first coming out as transgender and just starting to unlearn the anti-feminist and body-negative messages with which I grew up. The book was SO powerful for me then, explicitly acknowledging transgender people within the context of the very important messages about size acceptance and celebration. I was so excited about this new edition be ...more
Melissa
May 09, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much that when I first started reading it, ages ago, I wrote a review based solely on the introduction alone. This is, without a doubt, a book I think everyone should read, because it will give you a huge dose of humility, whether you realize it or not. Fat acceptance is not something widely practiced in Western culture, and Blank covers everything in this book, from acceptance to health, sex and relationships, self love and abuse. The book is filled with anonymous quotes fr ...more
Jennie
Sep 24, 2013 Jennie rated it liked it
A worthy read for anyone really. Loads of good stuff in here on body positivity. I especially love the idea that Hanne Blank puts forth that no one does "having a body" wrong. She lambasts all the cultural influences that hold up good sex, good relationships, money, success, career satisfaction and happiness as rewards for having a body the RIGHT way. And she wisely advises against putting your life on hold until some fantasy of bodily perfection is reached. Again, great advice for anyone.

I pic
Gnomad
Blank does a good job of striking a balance between educator and activist as she talks about various topics and concerns around fat sexuality. But I got to the end of the book and couldn't help but think, really? Don't you figure this stuff out simply by being a moderately thoughtful fat person going about your life? Do I really need an entire book designed to validate my sexuality and that of those who are attracted to me? I guess it's a great book if you need that, and in that case, I'm very g ...more
Natalie
Feb 17, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it
Interesting and informative. The author spends a lot of time on how to learn to accept and love your body, which is refreshing.
Teresa
Mar 04, 2017 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2017
This is going to take me some time to fully wrap my head around, and I'll likely want to revisit it in the future. Overall though it was fascinating and is a deeper look into fat sexuality and what that means.
Sirena
Jul 05, 2013 Sirena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Extra star just for existing.

I saw this in the store months ago and finally got it from the library.
The author took great pains, initially, to include every sexuality (LGBTI), including asexuals. I guess the more inclusive the better, and that is also to be expected from a Ten Speed Press book.
The majority of Big Big Love focused on accepting oneself exactly as they are. Hazza! Wouldn't it be wonderful if more books and media started from that point? There was also a chapter titled "For Fat Ad
Stephanie Meunier
Jul 23, 2016 Stephanie Meunier rated it liked it
I came to this book as I was trying to figure out why sex with other people didn't appeal to me ("internalized fatphobia leading to seeing myself as sexually undesirable and therefore unconsciously turning myself off of sex" was a hypothesis) and this book helped me see that sex with fat people and as a fat person, can be awesome and creative and hot and passionate. Also, that I'm still uninterested and asexual.

Regardless, this year I went back to it for research purposes and was irked by the F
Nicole
Jun 05, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent, truly. It has a wealth of resources, information, and wisdom for people of all shapes and sizes. My only complaint is that I wish I had read it about 10 years ago, before I had to figure it all out for myself, by myself. This book would be great for people who have recently gained weight, are feeling insecure, and aren't sure where to start looking for information about how body changes can affect sexuality. It's especially good for those who are new to the fat acceptance ...more
Natalie Slaughter
This was an amazing read. In addition to being a great reference for fat folks sex (it even had sections for those of us who don't fall into your generic hetero categories), it had a chapter dedicated to Fat Admirers/Chubby Chasers that articulated a lot of feelings I've had on the subject for a long time. I won't word vomit it all here, but I transcribed one of the sections and talked about my feelings over yonder.

I've read and re-read this book twice now, and it's definitely going to remain a
Korri
Aug 24, 2009 Korri rated it really liked it
Hanne Blank has written a thoughtful, engaging book which deals with a difficult set of issues: how can a person feel sexy, want to be sexual, and engage in healthy, consensual sexual relationships in a society that considers fatness the antithesis of sexiness?

With practical tips on positions and witty one-liners to put detractors in their place, an ample resource guide, and warm, wonderful advice about owning one's sexual feelings while being bombarded by images and medical advice calculated to
Rachele Cateyes
Apr 01, 2013 Rachele Cateyes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fat-acceptance
I was very, very interested in reading Big Big Love, Revised: A Sex and Relationships Guide for People of Size (and Those Who Love Them) by Hanne Blank. I am a scorpio, after all. Contrary to popular belief, big people fuck and it's not a freak show.

"Sweet, tender, luscious sex. Sweaty, feral, sheet-ripping sex. Shivery, jiggly, gasping sex."

But we feel vulnerable and often denied of our sexual nature. But it is possible to be fat and have a positive sex life, just like how you can be fat and ha
Erica
May 09, 2008 Erica marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: BBWs and them what loves'em.
Recommended to Erica by: www.bigfatblog.com reading list
It turns out that this book is out-of-print (oop). I'm currently on auction & used book sites gawping at the exhorbitant sums being charged/bid, and apparently paid, for this $15 paperback.
If I were the author, to whom the rights have reverted since Greenery Press let it go officially oop, I'd self-publish a couple of hundred copies and slowly make them available on the auction sites at the $50 a pop that it's currently pulling in, LOL.
Fat activism sites have recommended this book, which is
Nikki
May 24, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it
I liked Blank's frank way of discussing sex, and it was helpful to read about the other fat people with fulfilling sex lives, and how some people just can't bring themselves to admit their attraction to fat people. I think I've known some people like that personally, but wasn't sure if my hunches were accurate. Now I think they probably were... So I definitely got something out of Big Big Love, even if it wasn't the mind blowing experience I hoped for.
Jessica King
Jan 12, 2014 Jessica King rated it liked it
Love this whole Heath at Every Size movement. I have always been a "take me as I am right now and let me decide how to be better" or fuck off sort of gal anyway, but it's a hard thing to always put into practice...especially when you're smart enough to see and accept your own flaws. I've read 2 of Blank's books now, and I admit I skim quite a bit, but I find the strength and movement behind her ideas refreshing.
Red
Jan 01, 2012 Red rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was good, but maybe better for someone who's newer to fat politics. I found it a little flat - not much in it that felt new and fascinating or groundbreaking. it was really well-written and well-organized, and a clear and accessible text. Hanne's conviction that fat people are deserving of love and sex just shines right through. what a beautiful thing.
Naitasia
A lot of generalizations, making this applicable to anyone. Okay, but then you're misleading the target audience. This is more of a self-help book for fat confidence, in my opinion. I was expecting more insight into fat sex positions & sexual activities than this offered. The resource guide is pretty awesome & I'm hoping that will make up for the ways the book was a disappointment for me.
Spook Harrison
Mar 10, 2013 Spook Harrison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Spook by: Other Blank Book
Shelves: health-physical
Really rather good! I wasn't entirely sure what all I was getting into, but I like Blank's voice, her attention to detail and the amount of work she puts into her research; really, I wasn't surprised at how much I liked this book. It's also a great resource, and a fantastic overview into what it could be to really love oneself and/or other bigger people, smile.
Chelseabelle
Jan 18, 2015 Chelseabelle rated it really liked it
I loved this book for the LOVE I felt for myself after reading the testimonies of people who love to love fat bodies. It's not a fetish. It's not a kink. It's a person, whose body is very lovable. This is a good, self-affirming read.
Samantha
An emotional read that tells it like it is. Any body who endeavors to read this should come out the other side a better version of themselves. I love this Hanne Blank and her speaking the truth about reality. Great book. Read it.
TheKrazySheep
Sep 02, 2013 TheKrazySheep rated it really liked it
Shelves: _kindle
I was reading this more for the positive body image stuff than the strictly sexual stuff. It definitely helped me but I'd have liked to see more comments and stories from the results of the survey.
Hana
May 14, 2016 Hana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
For people of size, this book is a wonderful helpful way of boosting your self-worth. It helps to know that there are possibilities out there for all of us. Love this.
Cynthia
Nov 18, 2011 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wellness
Informative and wonderful book about sex, love and life as a fat person and/or someone who loves a fat person. How to make things easier in and out of bed without feeling embarrassed.
Paula
Oct 16, 2011 Paula rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bbw-fat-friendly
A must read for every fat person, especially women, and the people who love them!
Dilara
Jul 31, 2015 Dilara rated it really liked it
I wanted to read it just for fun but ended up with reading it in a serious way :D
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2012
Noé
Noé rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2015
  • The Fat Studies Reader
  • Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare a Truce with Your Body
  • Bodies out of Bounds: Fatness and Transgression
  • Hot & Heavy: Fierce Fat Girls on Life, Love & Fashion
  • The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability: For All of Us Who Live with Disabilities, Chronic Pain, and Illness
  • Two Whole Cakes: How to Stop Dieting and Learn to Love Your Body
  • The Obesity Myth: Why America's Obsession with Weight is Hazardous to Your Health
  • Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight
  • Fat Sex: The Naked Truth
  • Fat Shame: Stigma and the Fat Body in American Culture
  • The Ultimate Guide to Anal Sex for Women
  • A Hand in the Bush: The Fine Art of Vaginal Fisting
  • The Ultimate Guide to Cunnilingus: How to Go Down on a Woman and Give Her Exquisite Pleasure
  • The Survivor's Guide to Sex: How to Create Your Own Empowered Sexuality After Childhood Sexual Abuse
  • Sex for One: The Joy of Selfloving
  • The Good Vibrations Guide to Sex: The Most Complete Sex Manual Ever Written
  • Anal Pleasure & Health: A Guide for Men and Women
  • The Whole Lesbian Sex Book: A Passionate Guide for All of Us
Hanne Blank is a writer and historian.
Periodicals which have featured her work include Penthouse, In These Times, Southwest Art, Lilith, Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture, the Baltimore CityPaper, the Boston Phoenix, Santa Fean Magazine, and others. Her short fiction and essays are frequently anthologized.

Ms. Blank's work has been reviewed in The New York Times, The Chicago Sun-Times, The W
More about Hanne Blank...