Start by marking “Big Big Love: A Sourcebook on Sex for People of Size and Those Who Love Them” as Want to Read:
Big Big Love: A Sourcebook on Sex for People of Size and Those Who Love Them

Big Big Love: A Sourcebook on Sex for People of Size and Those Who Love Them

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Trade paperback, sourcebook on sex for people of size and those who love them.
Published January 1st 2000 by Greenery Press (CA)

To ask other readers questions about Big Big Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Big Love

Candice
This was such lovely, insightful read. I poured through this thing in a minute and really adore her humor and conversational style, though repetitious in spots to catch the chapter-here-chapter-there reader jumping between topics. Equally self-revelatory and probing into the sex lives of other fat people and the FAs/ FFAs who desire fat bodies for any number of reasons - from deeply romantic love to the more problematic and spectacular aspects of fetish, dominance over and humiliation of fat bod ...more
duck reads
Good basic coverage of a variety of subjects relating to fat sexuality, subdivided into copious subheadings within each chapter--this book is really well organised. It also backs up its fat-positive message with loving descriptions of how fat bodies look and feel to convey a real-feeling appreciation of fat sensuality, as well as a fuckton of info pertaining to fat sexuality. Add in the specific position suggestions and realistic-style drawings and you get a feeling of overall frankness and comf ...more
Krissy Delovely
While the title of this book pinpoints the audience as "people of size and those who love them", I believe everyone could benefit from reading this book as it focuses on equity for all. This book opened my eyes to the challenges that people of size (or fat people as I'm going to use from now on in this review because I own that phrase for myself) have in the world. While this book is marketed as a sexual manual, it is so much more than that. The first half of the book focuses on issues and chall ...more
Oliver Danni
I have to be perfectly honest and say that I was disappointed with the revised edition of this book. I read the original version over a decade ago, when I was first coming out as transgender and just starting to unlearn the anti-feminist and body-negative messages with which I grew up. The book was SO powerful for me then, explicitly acknowledging transgender people within the context of the very important messages about size acceptance and celebration. I was so excited about this new edition be ...more
Jennie
A worthy read for anyone really. Loads of good stuff in here on body positivity. I especially love the idea that Hanne Blank puts forth that no one does "having a body" wrong. She lambasts all the cultural influences that hold up good sex, good relationships, money, success, career satisfaction and happiness as rewards for having a body the RIGHT way. And she wisely advises against putting your life on hold until some fantasy of bodily perfection is reached. Again, great advice for anyone.

I pic
Melissa
I loved this book so much that when I first started reading it, ages ago, I wrote a review based solely on the introduction alone. This is, without a doubt, a book I think everyone should read, because it will give you a huge dose of humility, whether you realize it or not. Fat acceptance is not something widely practiced in Western culture, and Blank covers everything in this book, from acceptance to health, sex and relationships, self love and abuse. The book is filled with anonymous quotes fr ...more
Gnomad
Blank does a good job of striking a balance between educator and activist as she talks about various topics and concerns around fat sexuality. But I got to the end of the book and couldn't help but think, really? Don't you figure this stuff out simply by being a moderately thoughtful fat person going about your life? Do I really need an entire book designed to validate my sexuality and that of those who are attracted to me? I guess it's a great book if you need that, and in that case, I'm very g ...more
Natalie
Interesting and informative. The author spends a lot of time on how to learn to accept and love your body, which is refreshing.
Nicole
This book is excellent, truly. It has a wealth of resources, information, and wisdom for people of all shapes and sizes. My only complaint is that I wish I had read it about 10 years ago, before I had to figure it all out for myself, by myself. This book would be great for people who have recently gained weight, are feeling insecure, and aren't sure where to start looking for information about how body changes can affect sexuality. It's especially good for those who are new to the fat acceptance ...more
Sirena
Extra star just for existing.

I saw this in the store months ago and finally got it from the library.
The author took great pains, initially, to include every sexuality (LGBTI), including asexuals. I guess the more inclusive the better, and that is also to be expected from a Ten Speed Press book.
The majority of Big Big Love focused on accepting oneself exactly as they are. Hazza! Wouldn't it be wonderful if more books and media started from that point? There was also a chapter titled "For Fat Ad
Chelseabelle
I loved this book for the LOVE I felt for myself after reading the testimonies of people who love to love fat bodies. It's not a fetish. It's not a kink. It's a person, whose body is very lovable. This is a good, self-affirming read.
Jessica King
Love this whole Heath at Every Size movement. I have always been a "take me as I am right now and let me decide how to be better" or fuck off sort of gal anyway, but it's a hard thing to always put into practice...especially when you're smart enough to see and accept your own flaws. I've read 2 of Blank's books now, and I admit I skim quite a bit, but I find the strength and movement behind her ideas refreshing.
Rachele Cateyes
I was very, very interested in reading Big Big Love, Revised: A Sex and Relationships Guide for People of Size (and Those Who Love Them) by Hanne Blank. I am a scorpio, after all. Contrary to popular belief, big people fuck and it's not a freak show.

"Sweet, tender, luscious sex. Sweaty, feral, sheet-ripping sex. Shivery, jiggly, gasping sex."

But we feel vulnerable and often denied of our sexual nature. But it is possible to be fat and have a positive sex life, just like how you can be fat and ha
Natalie Slaughter
This was an amazing read. In addition to being a great reference for fat folks sex (it even had sections for those of us who don't fall into your generic hetero categories), it had a chapter dedicated to Fat Admirers/Chubby Chasers that articulated a lot of feelings I've had on the subject for a long time. I won't word vomit it all here, but I transcribed one of the sections and talked about my feelings over yonder.

I've read and re-read this book twice now, and it's definitely going to remain a
Korri
Hanne Blank has written a thoughtful, engaging book which deals with a difficult set of issues: how can a person feel sexy, want to be sexual, and engage in healthy, consensual sexual relationships in a society that considers fatness the antithesis of sexiness?

With practical tips on positions and witty one-liners to put detractors in their place, an ample resource guide, and warm, wonderful advice about owning one's sexual feelings while being bombarded by images and medical advice calculated to
Erica
Jul 22, 2008 Erica marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: BBWs and them what loves'em.
Recommended to Erica by: www.bigfatblog.com reading list
It turns out that this book is out-of-print (oop). I'm currently on auction & used book sites gawping at the exhorbitant sums being charged/bid, and apparently paid, for this $15 paperback.
If I were the author, to whom the rights have reverted since Greenery Press let it go officially oop, I'd self-publish a couple of hundred copies and slowly make them available on the auction sites at the $50 a pop that it's currently pulling in, LOL.
Fat activism sites have recommended this book, which is
Nikki
I liked Blank's frank way of discussing sex, and it was helpful to read about the other fat people with fulfilling sex lives, and how some people just can't bring themselves to admit their attraction to fat people. I think I've known some people like that personally, but wasn't sure if my hunches were accurate. Now I think they probably were... So I definitely got something out of Big Big Love, even if it wasn't the mind blowing experience I hoped for.
Naitasia
A lot of generalizations, making this applicable to anyone. Okay, but then you're misleading the target audience. This is more of a self-help book for fat confidence, in my opinion. I was expecting more insight into fat sex positions & sexual activities than this offered. The resource guide is pretty awesome & I'm hoping that will make up for the ways the book was a disappointment for me.
Red
I thought this book was good, but maybe better for someone who's newer to fat politics. I found it a little flat - not much in it that felt new and fascinating or groundbreaking. it was really well-written and well-organized, and a clear and accessible text. Hanne's conviction that fat people are deserving of love and sex just shines right through. what a beautiful thing.
Spook Harrison
Mar 31, 2013 Spook Harrison rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Spook by: Other Blank Book
Shelves: health-physical
Really rather good! I wasn't entirely sure what all I was getting into, but I like Blank's voice, her attention to detail and the amount of work she puts into her research; really, I wasn't surprised at how much I liked this book. It's also a great resource, and a fantastic overview into what it could be to really love oneself and/or other bigger people, smile.
Samantha
An emotional read that tells it like it is. Any body who endeavors to read this should come out the other side a better version of themselves. I love this Hanne Blank and her speaking the truth about reality. Great book. Read it.
TheKrazySheep
I was reading this more for the positive body image stuff than the strictly sexual stuff. It definitely helped me but I'd have liked to see more comments and stories from the results of the survey.
Cynthia
Informative and wonderful book about sex, love and life as a fat person and/or someone who loves a fat person. How to make things easier in and out of bed without feeling embarrassed.
Paula
A must read for every fat person, especially women, and the people who love them!
Mary
this is the first of 3 actual book publisher-published books i'm thanked in.
Aradia V
Funny, intelligent, honest.
Allyssa
very helpful
  • Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare a Truce with Your Body
  • The Fat Studies Reader
  • The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability: For All of Us Who Live with Disabilities, Chronic Pain, and Illness
  • Hot & Heavy: Fierce Fat Girls on Life, Love & Fashion
  • Bodies out of Bounds: Fatness and Transgression
  • Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight
  • Two Whole Cakes: How to Stop Dieting and Learn to Love Your Body
  • The Obesity Myth: Why America's Obsession with Weight is Hazardous to Your Health
  • The Ultimate Guide to Anal Sex for Women
  • The Ultimate Guide to Cunnilingus: How to Go Down on a Woman and Give Her Exquisite Pleasure
  • Anal Pleasure & Health: A Guide for Men and Women
  • A Hand in the Bush: The Fine Art of Vaginal Fisting
  • The Good Vibrations Guide to Sex: The Most Complete Sex Manual Ever Written
  • The New Bottoming Book
  • Sex for One: The Joy of Selfloving
  • Exhibitionism for the Shy: Show Off, Dress Up, and Talk Hot
  • The Survivor's Guide to Sex: How to Create Your Own Empowered Sexuality After Childhood Sexual Abuse
  • Fat Shame: Stigma and the Fat Body in American Culture
Hanne Blank is a writer and historian.
Periodicals which have featured her work include Penthouse, In These Times, Southwest Art, Lilith, Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture, the Baltimore CityPaper, the Boston Phoenix, Santa Fean Magazine, and others. Her short fiction and essays are frequently anthologized.

Ms. Blank's work has been reviewed in The New York Times, The Chicago Sun-Times, The W
More about Hanne Blank...
Virgin: The Untouched History Straight: The Surprisingly Short History Of Heterosexuality The Unapologetic Fat Girl's Guide to Exercise and Other Incendiary Acts Zaftig: Well Rounded Erotica Unruly Appetites: Erotic Stories