Start by marking “Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #1)

Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic (Chronological Order) #1)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  8,717 Ratings  ·  658 Reviews
There’s something out there:
a juggernaut of evil bearing down to crush the Republicâ,
unless one lone Jedi, shunned and reviled, can stop it.

Revan: hero, traitor, conqueror, villain, savior. A Jedi who left Coruscant to defeat Mandalorians and returned a disciple of the dark side, bent on destroying the Republic. The Jedi Council gave Revan his life back, but the pric
Published November 15th 2011 by LucasBooks (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Revan, please sign up.

Chad Bearden I haven't played the games, and felt that the book mostly holds up on its own. I wasn't confused by anything, but since so much characterization and…moreI haven't played the games, and felt that the book mostly holds up on its own. I wasn't confused by anything, but since so much characterization and history come from the games, there is a very disjointed feeling to the novel, particularly the first half, where Karpyshyn endows several situations with a lot of tension and importance he never really earns, banking on you knowing a bunch of stuff from the games.

His second Old Republic novel, "Annihilation", is much better, in my opinion, and holds up much better as a self-contained story, despite also utilizing characters and relationships from pre-existing source material.(less)
Calvyn That is possibly answered in 'The Old Republic' MMO (a game I've not played), but you can look them up on Wookieepedia for their future fates.

Traci
Nov 23, 2011 Traci rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Bastards!

I'm a big Star Wars fan. I come from a family of big Star Wars fans. I also love role playing games. Knights of the Old Republic is a Star Wars role playing game. And my favorite video game. Period. Combining the best of the rpg world with a story driven plot and the freedom to play as a female or male Jedi or Sith. With a story that rivals most Star Wars movies. If you like Star Wars you've got to play this game. Anyway, I became very attached to my Revan. One of my favorite characters
Iset
Jan 22, 2012 Iset rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars

I don’t know about this one. I really don’t know. This is far and away the Star Wars novel that I have most anticipated over the years, and yet... I wouldn’t say I hated it, but I think the word here is underwhelmed.

I’m a long time Star Wars fan, but when iconic computer game Knights of the Old Republic came out, I was enamoured. You play as the main character, Revan, in a game that was not only fun, masterful and intuitive but which was driven by an absolutely epic plot as compelling and sweepi
Lyn
Dec 09, 2015 Lyn rated it liked it
A longer time ago

but in the same galaxy far, far away …

Revan, Drew Karpyshyn’s 2011 addition to the Star Wars Legends series, takes place some three thousand years before the Battle of Yavin (BBY) and so provides a considerable backstory to the adventures most of us are used to from the canonical film series. Still accepted by Lucasfilms for continuity, Revan is a part of the larger Star Wars universe.

The character Revan, complex and intricately drawn with similarities with Annakin Skywalker / D
Bianca
Oct 04, 2012 Bianca rated it did not like it
I just love it when people decide to take a steaming dump on things I've spent years on. Truly, I do.
/sarcasm
I'm not going to waste your time stating how much I loathed this book, or how ironic I thought it was that Drew K. decided to state in the acknowledgements that he appreciated the opportunity and is quite thankful to write Revan off.

Nice.
Just...no. If you loved KotOR 1 and 2, I beg you to not read this. Especially for you 2 fans out there. You know that entire story that you built up, the
Mogsy (MMOGC)
I wanted to like this book, I really did. A month ago when I was so eagerly anticipating the release of Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan, I didn’t expect I would be starting a review for it this way, and I really don’t like having to be negative, but what can you do.

Granted, it is possible that my high expectations may have clouded my judgment. For one thing, I’m a big fan of Drew Karpyshyn — he wrote the Star Wars Darth Bane trilogy and also the Mass Effect novels that I found I really enjoye
Callum Shephard
Sep 22, 2012 Callum Shephard rated it did not like it
Why? Just why?
We didn’t need this novel, we could have quite happily left the games alone, but then someone has to write this horrible mistake. Couldn’t they have at least given it to an author who doesn’t apparently hate Knights of the Old Republic fans?

The overall plot of Revan is covering the mysterious years after Knights of the Old Republic, why he went missing and where the Exile is. This didn’t need to be expanded upon. Part of what made his leaving so interesting was due to the brief hin
Iroh The Wise
Sep 26, 2012 Iroh The Wise rated it did not like it
Crystal Starr Light
"I feel so helpless. So useless."

Revan has had many titles and jobs - savior of the Republic, Jedi, Sith, mercenary, etc. But now Revan is content to be "husband" to Bastila Shan - until strange dreams of his hidden past haunt him. He teams up with Canderous Ordo to track down his past and hopefully destroy the evil before it destroys those he loves.

I'm going to just come out and say it: I, a huge fan of Star Wars, have never played either of the "Knights of the Old Republic" games. I know, I kn
Stuart
Mar 02, 2014 Stuart rated it it was ok
"White or black makes a shade of grey - a colour Revan likes no doubt!"

Recently I decided to have a nose through some of the newer Star Wars extended universe novels. The only previous books I've read are two of the Darth Bane trilogy and one of The Legacy of the Force series of novels. Revan by Drew Karpyshyn seemed like a good entry point, having played both games The Knights of the Old Republic and The Old Republic at launch. What really grabbed my attention to Revan's character is that he i
Kelli Clark
Dec 29, 2012 Kelli Clark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I am a huge Star Wars fan, and definitely a big fan of the video game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. The main character in that game, Revan, was the protagonist in a story that left you hanging when it ended. This book sheds so much light on the events after the game, and also continues to include characters from the first and second game: Revan, Bastila Shan, The Exile, and even mentions the supporting game characters. In this book Revan's memory is returning, and he is plagued by what ...more
Brandon St Mark
I was going to write a long review about this book with spoilers, but I don't think I could do this book justice. The beginning was a little shaking for me, but that may have been because I've never played the KotOR games, and probably won't for the foreseeable future.

I will say, towards the end this book got a little philosophical, and that was pretty cool. One of my favorite things about Star Wars is the Force, and the many philosphies surrounding it. Personally, I think Revan and the Grey Jed
Rachel
Mar 28, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Nov 18, 2014 Andrew Obrigewitsch rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
These Star Wars books seemed a lot better when I was a teenager. This really didn't do much for me. The only thing I found interesting was the lore. The characters were flat, the Dialogue contrived, and the plot was overly simplistic.
Matthew Borgard
Feb 08, 2012 Matthew Borgard rated it it was ok
*Very minor spoilers follow*

While the exploration of the Old Republic era started in the comics, Bioware's original Star Wars game, Knights of the Old Republic, created a massive interest in the events that occurred thousands of years before the appearance of Luke Skywalker. At the center of this story was Revan, the eponymous hero of Drew Karpyshyn's new novel. Ever since the end of the original KOTOR, Star Wars fans have wondered what happened to the mysterious Jedi-turned-Sith-turned-Jedi. An
Jon
Jan 24, 2013 Jon rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Stars Wars books are always hit or miss. One thing I couldn't stand was how whenever the authors or video games talk about the Sith or the Dark Side of the Force all we get are names and obscure legends, and Dark Side characters always seam more interesting than Light Side characters. Well, this book remedies that a bit. This book is primarily about the Dark Side and characters, both good and bad, that deal with it. It develops some of the obscure legends into actual stories and histories.
The
Christina
May 08, 2015 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, sci-fi
4.5 stars.

I never read the Old Republic series. My brothers have and they both raved about this book.

I understand why. This is good writing, solid story telling, and the buildup leads to one of the most tense face offs I've read. Well done.

This book takes place waaaaay before Star Wars. The Jedi are dealing with their own internal issues, the Sith have been defeated many years prior and are believed to be extinct. Buuuuut of course they aren't, they're actually living undetected in space beyo
TalonWyrm
Dec 23, 2011 TalonWyrm rated it did not like it
Short.

If, like me, you were anxiously awaiting Knights Of The Old Republic III, you're SOL. This book is it. Or what passes for it.

It's bloody short.

Frankly, I expected better from Karpyshyn. The first Darth Bane book was excellent, as were the plots and writing he was involved with from the two KOTOR games. This novella (I don't count 50+ pages of excerpts and timelines of the Star Wars universe as real book) is weak, and reads like what it probably is: the aborted plot of the third KOTOR game.
B.J. Keeton
Dec 09, 2011 B.J. Keeton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best Star Wars book I've read in years. I'm still mad about being burned by the NJO and Outbound Flight. LotF and Revan have been great to rekindle my interest. I listened to the audiobook of this one, and it was lovely. I usually hate music and sound effects, but they truly enhanced the cinematic elements of this story.
Kelsey Hanson
Jan 07, 2015 Kelsey Hanson rated it it was ok
WARNING Spoilers ahead!

When the Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic came out I LOVED it. It became my favorite game and I love it to this day. The story writing was superb and it had one of the best plots I've ever experienced in a video game. A few years later, they came out with a sequel. I was very excited. I played the game all the way to the end and was left feeling underwhelmed. "Hmm. I thought. That really didn't give me closure and kinda screwed up the happy ending of the first game.

S
Doppelganger
Nov 11, 2011 Doppelganger rated it liked it
I was pretty pumped when I saw they were doing a Star Wars novel based on my favorite Sith/Jedi from the Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) RPG. Although I had never read a Drew Karpyshyn novel before, I was familiar with his work on KOTOR and the Star Wars universe in general. I can say that I was impressed with his writing and found him to be a very smooth and straight forward read. Upon my finishing of Revan, my overall impression was pretty good. It was really a page turner for me and I fou ...more
Scott Firestone
Jan 27, 2016 Scott Firestone rated it it was ok
Like all good video gamers, I played KOTOR years ago. But, honestly, I don't remember that much about the plot. So I was fine reading this as a follow-up, and to find out what happened to Revan. But I wasn't like I felt compelled to find out what happened to him after the game.

Overall, this is a decent Star Wars novel. It felt like a Star Wars novel, which is something.

But I have three major problems with the book.

First, much of the book felt like filler. To use RPG verbiage, it was a bunch o
David Farber
Jul 08, 2012 David Farber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
Drew Karpyshyn seemed to me to be an "unknown" author, as I had never before heard of him in the realm of Star Wars literature. To be honest, though, I hadn't read Star Wars novels in quite some time (since New Jedi Order). I was surprised to discover him via a wiki article about the recent Star Wars MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic, that as writer for several of my favorite games, and the one the article was written about, he had also begun writing novels for the Star Wars Saga. I bought it and ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Long ago in a city far, far away (well 1977 in Knoxville) I saw Star Wars and loved it. Like so many others I loved the original trilogy and saw each of them as they came out.

And I've been at best lukewarm about everything from the Star Wars universe ever since.

And Jar Jar Binks may be one of the most pathetic characters ever in a movie. I'd dislike him if I didn't feel so sorry for him.

I even offended one of my nephews (inadvertently) as when he was a kid he was very impressed by my science fi
Will
Jan 10, 2016 Will rated it liked it
I think i was lied to.
I found myself completely unable to put this book down, fueled by my own insatiable thirst to know more however, upon reflection in the end, it was quite a hollow experience.

I kept going as Drew kept promising more but in the end i didn't really feel the book lived up to the Legend that is Revan and left me wondering what really was the point in Drew writing this book?
It didn't really explore anything of any real consequence and even when scenes occurred that were meant to
Ernesto Henriquez
Fantastic book! I am definitely a fan of Revan and everything he stands for. He was a very powerful being, however, his motivation was based off of his wife and son. I can relate to that and I feel it is what attaches me to the character. I am hoping to see if a novel is created based on what he did before he and Malak tried to take over the Republic, or perhaps when he went to war with the Mandalorians. Aside from that, this book was amazing!
Anthony Otero
Mar 15, 2016 Anthony Otero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to preface this by saying that the video games are a part of my favored collection. I enjoyed this book because there were so many head nods to the games and the principle story. I always love catching a glimpse of the dark side so that was an additional plus. I wanted to give this novel less stars due the to ending because I was upset by it. But, as an author, I totally get that if you elicit an emotion from the reader then you are doing your job.
Arturo Gonzalez
Feb 07, 2016 Arturo Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
From the first page I was quickly sucked into the world of Star Wars the old republic. This novel is the very definition of a page turner. Once I got going I could not stop. The introduction and development of the main characters was done flawlessly. The author did a great job to blend good storytelling with some incredible action sequences. 100% recommend is to any Star Wars fan, or if you're just looking to read something thrilling and exciting.
Lance Shadow
Aug 29, 2015 Lance Shadow rated it liked it
When I first read Revan, I thought it was fantastic, one of the best books I ever read. However, I read it again and...it definitely has some problems. I seriously got the vibe that this would be the result if Michael Bay did a Star Wars Film.

THE STORY: this book takes place in two distinct parts, so I will summarize each one.
Part 1: Two years have passed since Revan's triumphant victory over Darth Malak in the first Knights of the Old Republic video game and he is now a hero of the republic, h
Mike
Dec 01, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
Peter Ohaver
Mar 25, 2012 Peter Ohaver rated it did not like it
If it was a standalone book, it could have been okay, but, as I posted elsewhere,

"
Personally, I think it is a terrible continuation of the KotOR storylines. I agree with the Amazon reviewers who have posted so far. It's going to be hard to give an accurate description of this book without spoilers, so...

SPOILERS

The "Revan" Book

Postby Ads-Gop Flif » November 17th, 2011, 4:21 am
If you read it, what did you think? If you haven't, are you considering it? If you have, would you recommend it?

Personal
Goodreads Librari...: Add Narrator to Audiobook 4 80 Nov 06, 2015 06:19AM
The Expanded Univ...: * REVAN - February 2014 Holocronies Book Club 25 66 Mar 20, 2014 06:26AM
The Expanded Univ...: REVAN, KOTOR & OLD REPUBLIC 7 77 Jul 19, 2012 09:48PM
  • Deceived (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #2)
  • Fatal Alliance (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #3)
  • Knight Errant
  • Siege (Star Wars: Clone Wars Gambit, #2)
  • Order 66: (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #4)
  • Scourge (Star Wars)
  • Shadow Games (Star Wars)
  • Apocalypse (Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi, #9)
  • Conviction (Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi, #7)
  • Ascension (Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi, #8)
  • The Rise of Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Dark Lord Trilogy, #3)
  • Choices of One (Star Wars)
20030
Drew Karpyshyn is a Canadian author and game designer. After working at a credit union for some time, he eventually became a game developer. He joined BioWare towards the end of the Baldur's Gate series, and wrote the tie-in novel for Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. He stayed with BioWare, where he worked on Neverwinter Nights, and became the Senior Writer on the critically acclaimed Star Wars: ...more
More about Drew Karpyshyn...

Star Wars: The Old Republic (Chronological Order) (5 books)
  • Deceived (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #2)
  • Fatal Alliance (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #3)
  • Annihilation (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #4)
  • The Old Republic Series

“I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.” 10 likes
“Are you certain of these accusations?” “I would stake my life on them, my lord Emperor.” “You already have.” 1 likes