Blank-133x176
The Quest of the Fair ...

Gerald Morris

The Quest of the Fair Unknown (The Squire's Tales #8)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  998 ratings  ·  48 reviews
On her deathbed, Beaufils's mother leaves him with a quest and a clue: find your father, a knight of King Arthur's court. So Beaufils leaves the isolated forest of his youth and quickly discovers that he has much to learn about the world beyond his experience. Beaufils's innocence never fails to make his companions grin, but his fresh outlook on the world's peculiarities t...more
Published (first published October 30th 2006)

Nikki
I do like it when Gerald Morris shows off his affection for Gawain and uses less-known stories too. I loved what he did with Lybeau Desconus -- and was that a sneaky reference to Geoffrey of Monmouth, with the clerk at the beginning? Also interesting attempt to blend together different strands of the Arthurian mythos that seem incompatible.

Light and easy to read as usual -- obviously, since I've now read two of these in one day. I know I'm a fast reader, but these are so easy to read. Which is n...more
Tatiana Gomez
No matter how many times I reread this book, I am always struck by its spiritual insight and depth.

I am a HUGE fan of the Squire's Tales series, I think I will be re-reading it until I die. At the end of each book I tell myself it was my favorite, but I think this is ACTUALLY my favorite. Here's why: Morris is, by trade, a minister. Throughout his series morals and ideals shine brightly, but never are they explored so thoroughly, and in such a nuanced way, as in this book which takes religion as...more
Jen
by far the least of my favourites, of his series. it's still a great series, but this is the first one that actually completely infuriated me as i was reading it. i had such a low tolerance for certain overzealous religious characters that it was difficult for me to continue; however, i deeply enjoyed the main character, and that's what pushed me to the end. i connected to beaufils, i was charmed by his innocence and the way he viewed the world, and i was fairly satisfied by the ending. i wasn't...more
Delaina
Ethan
Gerald Morris does it again. This book is just wonderful. I love Beaufils's fresh perspective, and I often wish that I could encounter the world with such innocence. Morris's stories have such a feeling of completeness to them; every time I finish one I feel like I've just finished something good.

Morris pokes fun at established religion in this book, and I think his fun is deserved. He shows the silliness and even utter stupidity and foolishness of those who adhere to a set of rituals and tradit...more
blindmouse
YA historical fantasy, based on a melding of the quest for the Holy Grail and another tale called Lybeau Desconus (the Fair Unknown of the title). Beaufils grows up in the forest with his mother, and never sees another human being. On her death, she tells him to go out and find his father, and Beaufils, who assumes on the basis of limited information that his father is called Father, and thus should be fairly easy to find, sets out.

Morris' style never fails to make me happy. Having written about...more
Jemimah
After hours of incoherent reading, I finally ended this book. Quite promising, I daresay it was. I enjoy Medieval history and legends, which is the main theme of this book. It's a retelling of some of King Arthur's Round Tables knights' tales, particularly that of Galahad and his quest for the Holy Grail. The book's protagonist is Beaufils, who accompanies Galahad as his squire on his (Galahad's) way to the quest. Beaufils views the world in such a childlike innocent way--you can't but admire an...more
Melissa
Bought it for a dime off a used book rack. Best 10 cents I ever spent. I love this book! Gerald Morris is great. I especially love the chapter on the sacred forest, Morris' satire of theological disputes is hilarious and edifying.
Cindy
Sep 06, 2007 Cindy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, Arthurians
This one is the story of Beaufils, who sets out to find the Knights of the Round Table. Just before her death, his mother tells him that his father was one of King Arthur's knights. So he decides to look for him. On his way to Camelot, he meets another man looking for his father, Galahad. Beaufils has very limited experience of the world, but decides to stick with Galahad as he sets off on a different quest--the search for the Holy Grail.

I really enjoy this series. My only complaint, really, is...more
Olivia
I love this series, It's so funny and so exciting and so adventurous. It makes me so happy.
meeners
i really love these books, which are all funny and smart and spirited. and morris basically says to galahad what i've always wanted to say, which is galahad, you sanctimonious ass! no one likes you! go home!

here is my favorite quote:
Both knights stared at the hermit for a second; then Sir Bors rolled his eyes and said, "Shut up, you old poop."
Now Sir Lionel gaped at his brother. "Bors? Did you just call a religious man a . . . a poop?"

if you laughed, you will probably like this book. if not, t...more
Abigail
Love love love this book. I've read it several times because it never fails to make me laugh. What I like most about this book is how the main character has grown up as a hermit away from the world, and so when he goes on a journey to King Arthur's Court, he has no idea how cruel and greedy people can be, how ridiculously handsome he is ( hence his confusion at why girls giggle around him) and lots more besides.

All of Gerald's books are simple delightful, great stories, full of humor and wit tha...more
Lisa
The beginning of this book was a little difficult for me. There were a couple of things that really grated on me. Galahad being one of them. I wasn't sure if the characters could possibly continue as they were presented. But they did. And they all turned out to be very human, believable, even empathetic characters. It might be because I am sick right now, but I was continually surprised by the turns and twists in the plot. I didn't know what was coming next, but I really cared. I will probably r...more
Carissa
the latest in the squire’s tale series and once again, a book that has left me smiling and with a warm glow in my heart. i love this series. it is so well-written! this one is the first to deal with the religious side of the middle ages and does so with a deft hand and in such a way that a casual reader (especially a younger reader) might not even really think about it. or at least not be offended or put off by it. i really should own these books. they are definitely on my “could pick up and rea...more
Amanda
Another fun Squire's Tale from Gerald Morris, whose books should be assigned in schools all over the US. They are funny, they teach kids stuff like honesty, loyalty and not taking yoursef too seriously. One of the things that I like about this one is that Beaufils is able to defend himself and protect his friends without too much actual killing. He prefers to talk and reason first. If that doesn't work he'll hit you with a stick, which I've found to be effective.
Meredith
It's hard to rate this book. I love Beaufils, the protagonist. He's one of my favorite characters in the series so far. But I did not enjoy the plot of this book. All of the hermits get really old, and Galahad is infuriating. I know that those things are intentional, but it's still not great fun to read about. Still a good book, but it's not going to be one of my favorites in the series.
Diane
Although its still easy to see Morris's enthusiasm for the subject and his eagerness to comb through medieval literature for suitable stories from which to borrow and incorporate into his Arthurian world, I think he lost a bit of steam on this one. It felt a bit preachy at times (single-mindedness can be a bad thing) and there were many loose ends left untied.
Cindy
This story deals more with the religious viewpoints held in mediveal times. Some of the speech sounded very similar to what you still hear today and I think some Christians may take offence. Other than that, it was great to be reunited with our old friend Terence (see previous books) and the simple lessons on virtue and the mankind mingled throughout the story.
Jing
This one wasn't my favorite book. It's about a guy who's father is one of the Round Table, but he doesn't know who. And he's lived such a sheltered life that he knows nothing, and is very naive. He's simple-minded, but in a good, funny way. I didn't like the revealing part though, I didn't like what it revealed, even though I had been expecting it.
Becca R.G.
(6/18/09) Too serious for a Gerald Morris book, but still fun.

(3/10/10) I am not quite satisfied with the ending, and how Beau chooses to spend his life, but otherwise I quite like this book. Actually, Ellyn's ending is a little bit unfinished as well. Other than that though, this is a great story. I think the Carl of Carlisle is my favorite part.
Amy
Excellent, as always. I picked it up as a "therapy" for the ending of the Hunger Games Trilogy, and it did the job marvelously. It is amazing how Morris's books, without fail, turn out to be funny, generally clean (though it is amusing I would say that about this particular one O.o) and enjoyable.
A bit predictable, but so good :D
Debrarian
When his mother dies, Beaufils leaves their hut in the forest and ventures into the world, where he is intrigued by the foibles of people, quests with Galahad, Gawain and a woman named Ellyn, and eventually discovers his father’s identity and his own quest. (Fair Unknown = both his nickname (Le Beau Desconu) and his quest.)
Emilymwest
It was alright. This is definitely a book for younger children. It tells the story of a young boy who has adventure in the days of King Arthur. It was very simplistic and the plot was very easy to follow, but it was an interesting take on an old classic. I probably would have liked it more if I was in primary!
Gillian
Probably my least favorite of the Squire's Tales, it was still an awesome read! The main character (Beaufils) is, as always, fresh and funny! Gerald Morris tops it off with lots of Gawain and Terence, an independent Lady Ellyn, and a slightly eccentric Galahad. Great addition to the series!!
Jennifer S
Beaufils is young and innocent and never exposed to another outside of his mother. He goes in search of his father as a request from his mother on her death bed. It is a historical story referencing knight of King Arthhur's round table. As Beaufils helps them on their quests, he discovers his own.
Ron
An interesting retelling of Galahad and the Quest for the Holy Grail. Gerald Morris continues retelling the tales of King Arthur and his knights in an enjoyable, even humorous fashion while remaining true to the spirit of the tales. We enjoy our son reading these to us at night.
Elise
The story seemed a little bit here and then there with this one...but as always with Gerald Morris, it is chock full of insightful humor and I laughed out loud several times.
Lia
Gerald Morris' retellings of the Authuring legends are wonderful. Their humor, cadence, characters---all are well worth the read. He has some obvious opinions about chivalric codes and what it means to be a knight, but this adds to the fun.

One of my favorites.
Charlene
Somewhat different and low key compared to Gerald Morris's other "Squire's Tale" series. Beaufils is an innocent and charming character who adds much humor to the story as he explores a new world in search of his father.
Carolyn
An okay book. It was really hard to get into at first, but after a while, it ended up becoming a good read... until the end. I dunno, this one just didn't "do it" for me. Not a bad book, but I've read better ones from Morris.
Book Nine to be released September 28, 2009! 1 14 Mar 29, 2009 06:23PM
  • Road to Camlann: The Death of King Arthur
  • Hobby (The Young Merlin Trilogy, #2)
  • King of the Middle March (Arthur Trilogy, #3)
  • Player's Ruse (Knight and Rogue, #3)
  • The Empty Kingdom (The Lion Hunters, #5)
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)
  • Rowan Hood Returns: The Final Chapter (Rowan Hood, #5)
  • Under Camelot's Banner (The Paths to Camelot, #3)
  • Merlin's Shadow (The Merlin Spiral #2)
  • Pagan's Crusade (Pagan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Book of Mordred
  • Guinevere's Gamble (Chrysalis Queen Quartet, #2)
  • The Arkadians
Gerald Morris is known for his light yet addictive series of stories for preteen and teen readers based in the Middle Ages during the time of King Arthur. Collectively called "The Squire's Tales", the series includes The Squire's Tale, The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady, The Savage Damsel and The Dwarf, and Parsifal's Page. The books at the start of the series focus on Gawain, but primarily on T...more
More about Gerald Morris...
The Squire's Tale (The Squire's Tales, #1) The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3) The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady (The Squire's Tales, #2) The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight (The Squire's Tales, #6) Parsifal's Page (The Squire's Tales, #4)

“There's never any reason to trust someone. If there's a reason, then it's not trust.

-Terence”