Start by marking “World's End (The Snow Queen Cycle, #2)” as Want to Read:
World's End (The Snow Queen Cycle, #2)

World's End (The Snow Queen Cycle #2)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  853 ratings  ·  32 reviews
BZ Gundhalinu left Tiamat before the Stargate closed, cutting himself off forever from the woman he loves: Moon Dawntreader Summer is now the Summer Queen and BZ knows he can never again be her lover.
Published June 1984 by St. Martins Press (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about World's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World's End

Darcy Abriel
World's End is the second book in he Snow Queen Cycle. This story goes into a deeper character study of BZ Gundhalinu and his motivations. BZ was a secondary love interest to Moon,from The Snow Queen, who is now Summer Queen of Tiamet. BZ left Tiamet and has attempted to give purpose to his life. Love, honor, family, self-examination, destiny, all come into play in this story. This book is a very good bridge from "The Snow Queen" to "The Summer Queen" and deals not only with BZ's indecision and ...more
Chani
This was so disappointing. After reading the wonderful Snow Queen I was roaring for the next book. This was short and a character study. But the odd thing was it was a character that was so minimal
in the first book. I liked his character but I wouldn't have wanted to read a book about him. Then the book was just a mind screw and I had to read about him being tortured mentally and physcially.
I didn't care more for the character by reading this story. I can see that this book was to add the elemen
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
A re-read. After finishing The Snow Queen, one of the groups I belong to here on Goodreads has decided to continue reading the series. More interesting use of the sibyl network. I think that may be my favorite thing from this series, actually.
Milo
Liked this one better than The Snow Queen.
Stephanie
World's End is not as intricately plotted as The Snow Queen, and though it's much shorter, the plot drags more slowly in places. One character, Spadrin, seems to exist solely to annoy the reader for no reason at all for many pages. Finally, all comes neatly together in an exciting reveal, but the novella could have been half as long. (I wonder if this started as a short story that the publishers wanted to stretch to book length.) Looking forward to The Summer Queen and hoping it's more like The ...more
Elizabeth Galewski
What makes BZ so likeable? He's not just a good person who ought to have inherited instead of his two worthless older brothers. No. He's even willing to go after said worthless older brothers and rescue them from a living hell. After frittering away the family's wealth, BZ's brothers have left on a misguided quest to find their fortunes at World's End. As the new head of the family, BZ considers it his duty to track them down.

Nonstop action and imaginative world-building characterize this excell
Kirsten
A sequel to The Snow Queen that focuses on what happens to BZ Gundhalinu after he leaves Tiamat. His life is not what it should be; he misses Moon painfully, and in his own society he is an outcast because he is a failed suicide. In an effort to recapture his sense of himself, he journeys to World's End, a hellish backwater planet, where his two brothers have disappeared. Along the way, a sibyl named Hahn recruits him to locate her daughter, Song, while he searches for his brothers. What follows ...more
Rusty
Dec 10, 2010 Rusty added it
Shelves: fantasy
Joan Vinge is one of my favorite fantasy/science fiction writers. After I finished this book, I realized that I had read it 20 years ago. However, with the experience of life I think understood the author's messages better. This is the story of a basically good man who carries guilt like a shield. He adored his father but could not relate to nor get along with his brothers who were lazy, weak and selfish. As the youngest son he had no rights to the family estates so he left home, to the sorrow o ...more
Suz
This is the second and (apparently - if the reviews I've read are correct) very overlooked book in the Snow Queen cycle.

It does not take place on Tiamat or really deal much with Tiamat. The main character is BZ, an inspector on Tiamat who loses his honor in his very strict culture, and tries to find it again.

He goes on a mission to rescue his brothers after becoming obsessed with the fact that they're missing, and what happens is a mystery and deep character study, with a generous helping of des
Artjom
Interesting short story inspired somewhat by Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

Although I wasn't particularly interested in the protagonist, the story was decently written and kept my turning pages up until the very end. In the end, I don't think the plot stands strongly enough on its own (it is more of a bridging story between main novels of Joan Vinge's magnum opus), however, it is worth reading to fill in some of the gaps in the overarching plot.
Cecile
I remember the first time I read this story, how insanity was building up in the main character, eating away his humanity little by little. How strange it was to follow him on his way to hell. I read it again recently, but the feeling wasn't as strong as in my memories, maybe because I was expecting it, thinking of what laid ahead instead of living only in the instant, like him.

As a sequel to The Snow Queen, this story is worth reading at least to see again BZ Gundhalinu, whom we left as a wound
Mike
Let this serve as one review for all of Joan Vinge's books. For a sci-fi/fantasy writer, Vinge is best at twisting the tale into unexpected corners. She has rich characters, and like all good writing students, puts them into situations that test their mettle continually. I listed all her books I have read in one conglomeration because they all read equally as well. This particular one (World's End)almost seems like it was an afterthought in her series on the Snow Queeen. It is fascinating to hav ...more
Kat
4/3/14 re-reading the Vinge - Snow Queen / Summer Queen cycle. wishing again that these books were still in print, so I could sell them to my customers. alas, I will keep waiting.
Katelyn
"I moan. My hand fondles her breast, while the other lies buried between her legs, parting them as I probe the liquid depths of her secret places."

I am not sure if I was so absorbed by the story of the Snow Queen (and the parallels to Andersen's tale) that I didn't realize she was a bad writer... or if she just can't write sex. But this was the last sentence I read of this book.

The story focuses on my least favorite character of The Snow Queen and we watch him slowly turn into a pathetic animal.
Kathy
Very enjoyable, even if this book is a bridge between The Snow Queen and The Summer Queen, and I think you will need to read both for this to make much sense. Ms. Vinge writes wonderfully. If you enjoy science-fiction give this book a try.
Jacy Imilkowski
I actually read this third (after the Snow Queen and The Summer Queen) and it fit there a well. A nice novella that fills in an interesting background story that's not truly necessary to follow the main storyline.
Kaye
BZ is a character from an earlier book. He has his share of problems. I could have done without the graphic sex scene.
Alexa
This novel had about enough plot to it to fill a short story; the rest was just endless hallucinations, rather tedious.
Mystii
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I did The Snow Queen and The Summer Queen simply because I really liked those stories. This one is a bit darker but definitely one you need to read to get the full story.
Doug
Enormously different in style from The Snow Queen, this turned out to be a quick and entertaining read that reminded me of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series in some stylistic ways.
Paul Baribeau
Just finished this book. A great second book in a trilogy. Fast paced and wild. Really sets up the last book nicely. Don't read this without reading the Snow Queen first.
Beth
Aug 08, 2012 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who read "The Snow Queen", Scifi fans
Shelves: books-i-own
I rarely enjoy sequels, but this followed the characters I was most interested in, and added depth to the story arc while also functioning as a stand alone. Poignent.
George S. Walker
This was interesting, but paled in comparison to her epic Snow Queen. It seemed like the main character was dragged along by circumstances.
Mike
This is a tougher read than the other two books in the Summer Queen trilogy, but it is well written and necessary for enjoying Snow Queen.
Jamie
Sep 22, 2008 Jamie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jamie by: Brandon
BZ's journal not essential to understanding the series but very good nonetheless.
Bev Hankins
Not nearly as good as The Snow Queen. Just couldn't get into this one.
Kerry
[Copied across from Library Thing; 17 October 2012]
  • Child of Fortune
  • The Steerswoman (The Steerswoman, #1)
  • Apocalypse Array (LINK Angel, #4)
  • Worlds of Exile and Illusion: Rocannon's World, Planet of Exile, City of Illusions (Hainish Cycle, #1-3)
  • Wraiths of Time
  • Plague from Space
  • The Seeds of Time
  • Rift in the Sky (Stratification, #3)
  • The Gameplayers of Zan (Ler, #2)
  • Courtship Rite
  • Thorns
  • Brothers of Earth (Hanan Rebellion, #1/Alliance-Union Universe)
  • Sideshow
  • Days of Grass
  • Plan B (Liaden Universe, #11)
  • Alpha
Joan D. Vinge (born Joan Carol Dennison) is an American science fiction author. She is known for such works as her Hugo Award-winning novel The Snow Queen and its sequels, her series about the telepath named Cat, and her Heaven's Chronicles books.
More about Joan D. Vinge...
The Snow Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #1) The Summer Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #3) Catspaw (Cat, #2) Psion (Cat, #1) Dreamfall (Cat, #3)