Start by marking “Inside Gilligan's Island: From Creation to Syndication” as Want to Read:
Inside Gilligan's Island: From Creation to Syndication

Inside Gilligan's Island: From Creation to Syndication

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
While every new TV series has to face some problems, no show had to overcome greater obstacles than Gilligan's Island. In spite of that, no series has achieved greater success, as measured by the fact that Gilligan's Island has given rise to three TV movies, two animated series, and is the most rerun program in the entire history of television. Now, Sherwood Schwartz, crea ...more
Published December 9th 2010 by McFarland & Company (first published August 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Inside Gilligan's Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Gilligan's Island

Susan
Mar 01, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, 2016
I grew up watching Gilligan's Island and really liked it as a kid. Fast forward, I still really like the show. I think these episodes are the best stress reduction therapy going.

So, to finally read how the show came about, how it was sold to a network and how all the actors were hired was just the cherry on top. If you think having a good idea and getting it on air simply because it is a good idea is the way it goes, you are very wrong. Considering all the hoops Sherwood Schwartz had to jump th
April
May 27, 2011 April rated it really liked it
Inside Gilligan's Island: from Creation to Syndication
Sherwood Schwartz
Mcfarland & Company, Inc.
1988 (2011 reprint)

A Librarything Early Reviewer book.
Wow! It has been 47 years since Gilligan's Island premiered, and not only did I read a book about it, but I really enjoyed it. Mr. Schwartz, the creator of the show, wonderfully tells the story of Gilligan's Island; from the first idea, to pitching the show to the studio, to filming, to cancellation, and beyond. Most of the chapters are humoro
Wendy
Jun 17, 2016 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-rated
This book shies away from warm fuzzy nostalgia and instead gives a sharp inside look at the business of television production. Schwartz gives a blow-by-blow account of his efforts to get Gilligan's Island on the air, in all of its permutations. It's a great reference tool for anyone looking to study the inside workings of Hollywood. Written in 1988, the book offers some interesting perspectives. The episode synopses at the end of the book are fun reminders for those who followed the original ser ...more
Jeff
Aug 29, 2011 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: tv-radio-media
Even though the book is 20+ years old now (I'm guessing they reissued it since creator Sherwood Schwartz passed away a few months ago), it's still thought provoking and filled with hilarious anecdotes about the creative process and filming of "Gilligan's Island."

The references to the "current" [1980's] TV landscape notwithstanding, Schwartz's thoughts on the entire media landscape can still hold some truth today (i.e. the lack of "family" comedies, and a greater emphasis on sex, violence, etc).
Christopher Obert
May 16, 2011 Christopher Obert rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
Gilligan’s Island is one of my all time favorite TV shows. I found the actors to be perfectly cast and the show to be extremely funny. This book written by Sherwood Schwartz is a reprint of the original book published in 1988. The book’s main focus is how the show was created, submitted to the networks and basically how the whole process works. I found the book very interesting and I learned a lot about the behind the scenes of a TV show. However, I was hoping for more stories on the cast than w ...more
Greg Z
May 02, 2016 Greg Z rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I very much enjoyed Sherwood Schwartz's stories about this TV show. (And loved the show as a kid, and still watch it whenever it appears in syndication. Why, I even have the t-shirt from the musical!)
Tará O'Sullivan
Well, this book certainly gave me warm & fuzzy feelings inside. It showcases all the problems, turmoil and (inevitably) fun of bringing this series to life...And was a total blast into the past for me! I grew up with Gilligan's Island.[return][return]Being able to hear the reasoning behind certain nuances of each character opened new doors for me...and it honestly made me realise that I never really read all that much about the series prior to this book. [return][return]It's only a bonus tha ...more
Jonathan Frankel
Mar 01, 2016 Jonathan Frankel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun little book on the makings and origins of Gilligan's Island as well as subsequent stories on its syndication and movies. Since I grew up with the "repeats", I found it very interesting in how many issues Schwartz ran into to get it on the air.
Sean
May 15, 2011 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of Gilligan's Island or interested in the how a TV show is made (albeit in the 60s) this book is a great read. Sherwood Schwartz tells great stories of the trials and tribulations to bring this show to TV. Through luck and perseverance it made it to air and practically on a whim it was cancelled, despite always winning its time slot and becoming a worldwide success.

The book also covers and the animated and movie projects after the show's run and ends with appendices describing ea
Ronald
Nov 29, 2014 Ronald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, easy read for fans of the show.
Pj
Jun 19, 2012 Pj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film-tv
I find behind the scenes books interesting as long as they aren't too promotional. Inside Gilligan's Island is among the best I have ever read. Schwartz keeps you interested and gives you a good number of stories, facts and struggles about making the TV show (which remains one of the best guilty pleasures ever broadcast). It is a pity his book on the Brady Bunch, co-written with his Son, failed to live up to the standard he set by himself with this one.
Amber Leach
May 30, 2014 Amber Leach rated it it was amazing
This was such an interesting book. I've never thought about or realized just what all it took to go from brain to screen. Very entertaining and informative. Loved it!
ABC
Oct 31, 2013 ABC rated it liked it
This focusses on the making of Gilligan's Island, rather than gossip about what happened on set. It is amazing that people did not see its potential and it almost did not get made.

It was written in, I think, 1988 so it feels like it is stuck in time a bit. It didn't bother me any, though.
Amber Leach
May 30, 2014 Amber Leach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting

This was a very interesting book. I never realized what all a tv show or movie has to go through before it comes to life. This was an entertaining and very informative book on just what all it takes to go from brain to screen. Loved it!!!
Alona Perlin
Jun 10, 2012 Alona Perlin rated it it was amazing
I was very impressed with this book. It was very interesting to read about the makings of Gilligan's island. Not only does Sherwood discuss the show's creation, he also gives you an insight into the world of television, ratings and TV trends!
Scott Finney
Scott Finney marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Glen
Glen is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Jackson Upperco
Jackson Upperco rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Logan
Logan marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
David Rubio
David Rubio is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2016
Tony Wauchope
Tony Wauchope rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Abby Rose
Abby Rose marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
YegAli
YegAli marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

“Just sit right back
And you'll hear a tale
A tale of a fateful trip,
That started from this tropic port,
Aboard this tiny ship.
The mate was a mighty sailin' lad,
The Skipper brave and sure,
Five passengers set sail that day,
For a three hour tour,
A three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,
The tiny ship was tossed.
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The Minnow would be lost.
The Minnow would be lost.

The ship set ground on the shore
Of this uncharted desert isle
With Gilligan,
The Skipper too.
The millionaire
And his wife,
The movie star,
The professor and Mary Ann,
Here on Gilligan's Isle.

So this is the tale of our castaways,
They're here for a long long time.
They'll have to make the best of things,
It's an uphill climb.

The first mate and his Skipper too
Will do their very best,
To make the others comf'terble
In their tropic island nest.

No phone, no lights, no motor car,
Not a single luxury
Like Robinson Crusoe
It's primitive as can be.

So join us here each week my friends,
You're sure to get a smile,
From seven stranded castaways
Here on Gilligan's Isle!”
0 likes