Dance (de Saint Vallier Brothers, #2)

Dance (de Saint Vallier Brothers #2)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The dance of life is never danced alone...

Years after fleeing to America—from an arranged marriage—Marie Du Gard returned to Paris a different woman. Slimmer and carefree, Marie vowed to protect her freedom at all costs—regardless of what her family or Parisian society thought.

But one man made it impossible for Marie to put her past behind her: Sébastien, the sophisticated...more
Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published March 1st 1996 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance

Rosina Lippi
book: Dance] is, as far as I'm concerned, the single best historical romance title, ever. And it has some tough competition for that spot.

Cuevas writes beautifully, but more than that, she tells a compelling, engaging and still subtle story. This one is about a young woman returning home to Paris to make moving pictures, a new field. She is at odds with her father but no longer so intimidated by him as she had been. The brother of the man she left at the altar is there, recently widowed. He is e...more
Annery
The trouble with reading such a perfect romance novel is that you then have take a break from the genre for a bit because in the wake of such a well written romance all else, even good stuff, will pale. Ms. Cuevas has a written a story of two adults who know their minds but are nonetheless caught in the tug and pull of an attraction the goes beyond the physical and how they learn to unbend from firmly established preconceptions in able to truly see the & accept the other person. Besides this...more
Jenny Brown
Flabbergastingly good.

This book avoids the errors of fact that marred some of her earlier work but brings alive two more complex people in a fascinating setting featuring an a disreputable but fashionable painter, silent movie making, and an idyll in the French countryside.

If only people were still writing books this wonderful!
Giedre
Well, this is one of those rare times when a sequel is a far stronger work than the first book (Bliss). I adore this one. Too bad that it's out of print and a bit hard to get ahold of, and Judy Cuevas/Judith Ivory seems to have stopped writing. Such a shame.
Melowin
For some reason, I didn't expect this to be a sequel to Bliss. I liked this book so much better than that one. Two of the characters who were never far from the action in Bliss come center stage in Dance - Sebastian (Nardi's brother in Bliss) and Marie (Nardi's betrothed in Bliss) share a moment of passion that galvanizes both of them into self-discovery. I liked this one especially because it has the rich scenery of Bliss, without the cruelty. Marie can be frustrating at times with her absolute...more
Meggie
I read Bliss several years ago but didn't find a (cheap) copy of Dance until a few months back. All I remembered from Bliss was that Nardi drank ether, but that's OK--Dance worked perfectly as a story in its own right.

Judy Cuevas's writing is beautiful, rich, full of words and phrases that look and sound interesting and arresting. I also like how she gets the interplay between languages, how she is ostensibly writing an English translation of French conversations and will play with that idea wi...more
Mmeguillotine
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. This book deserves a review that lives up to the gorgeous quality of the writing itself, but I am inadequate and incapable and my head hurts right now. I wish so much, that Judy Cuevas/Judith Ivory were still writing. No one compares to her, for me. No one. I'd read anything. Her grocery list even. She is that remarkable.

I hope to return later and give a better description of all the things I loved about Dance. Well worth the $25+ I spent tracking down an out...more
Mara
I loved it more than the previous book. Too tired to write the review now, but I'll be back.
Ann Marie
4 1/2, almost 5 probably
Dionne London
Dionne London marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Valarie38hotmail.com
Valarie38hotmail.com marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
LuvGirl
LuvGirl is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2014
Deanna Walker
Deanna Walker marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Carisa
Carisa marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Catalina Terracotta
Catalina Terracotta marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Agathe
Agathe marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Evania
Evania added it
Jun 30, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Breathless
  • Miss Milton Speaks Her Mind
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • Seize the Fire
  • The Edge of Impropriety
  • If His Kiss Is Wicked (Grantham, #3)
  • Indiscreet
  • Written on Your Skin
Judy Cuevas is the real name of author "Judith Ivory" (a pseudonum used by her after publication of her last book published under her real name of "Judy Cuevas," in 1996 - Dance. Her first book, Starlit Surrender, which was published under her real name of Cuevas, was re-released under her pseudonym of "Ivory" in 2006 under the title, Angel in a Red Dress.
More about Judy Cuevas...
Bliss (de Saint Vallier Brothers, #1) Black Silk