Start by marking “An Annoying ABC” as Want to Read:
An Annoying ABC

An Annoying ABC

Imagine a preschool classroom with 25 cranky kids and one beleaguered teacher.

It only takes one small annoying act from Adelaide to set off a chain reaction of bad behavior. Dexter is drooling, Flora is fuming, Jasper is jeering, Kirby is kicking . . . and before you know it, Stella is stumbling, Todd is tumbling, and Winthrop is weeping. Oh, oh, oh!

What will it take to
Published September 13th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about An Annoying ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Annoying ABC

Jun 09, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Perturbed preschoolers persistently provoke pandemonoum. Appologies for annoyances bring calmness to classroom.

An Annoying ABC by Barbara Bottner, illustrated by Michael Emberley is an alphabet book about a class of preschoolers who react crankily to annoyances from each other, until one apology begets many more.

The text is full of awesome alliteration. Adelaide's apology brings peace to a crazed classrom and the beleaugered Miss Mabel. Among my favorites phrases were "Flora fumed", "Leroy comp
Jun 30, 2011 Marika rated it liked it
There are so many ABC books that you have to do something unique and interesting if you want any attention. Bottner and Emberley have succeeded, creating an energetic and engaging alphabet. Each quirky, individual child in Miss Mabel's class, has a name beginning with a different letter of the alphabet (excepting "M" for Miss Mabel herself). All is well in Miss Mabel's class until Adelaide annoys a classmate, and havoc runs though the alphabet, each child doing something to set off the alphabeti ...more
The Library Lady
Oct 26, 2011 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This has a didactic edge--everyone behaves badly, then everyone apologizes--and is carefully diverse--all backgrounds including a child in a wheelchair. In less skilled hands, this could have been AWFUL!

But it's not. It works well. The pictures are alive with energy and the facial expressions are wonderful. The kids' bad behavior is a veritable catalog of what you would see in any classroom, and the final spread of the kids in various attitudes all tranquil and enjoying story time (note the litt
Gayle Swift
Jan 30, 2015 Gayle Swift rated it it was amazing
As part of Multicultural Children’s Book Day, bloggers are featuring entertaining and diverse books. I have selected An Annoying ABC by Barbara Bottner and illlustrated by Michael Emberley which overflows with humor and features children of every color imaginable. Race is not the focus of the book; it is the natural backdrop of the story. The world includes a rainbow of humanity and this book reflects that reality.

An Annoying ABC weaves a delightful “domino” story: each action precipitates a sub
Sep 21, 2013 April rated it it was ok
My son wasn't as "in" to this book and I was hesitant to explain it to him because honestly some of the kids in the book seem a little too quick to temper tantrum. The problem is that I think the book featured behavior typical of a preschool setting and I was reading it to a kindergartener and expect a lot more from his behavior.

Basically, the book shows the domino effect when one child gets annoyed. The misery or upset is passed from child to child and their names each start with the next lette
Sep 28, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Take a very funny trip through the alphabet in a series of mishaps in this silly picture book. When Adelaide starts the story off by annoying Bailey the chain of events carries all the way through the classroom from A to Z. Children are crying, fuming, howling, and evening stumbling and tumbling before it reaches the end. But then, when everything is done, Adelaide apologizes!

Bottner has created a zany way to do the ABCs filled with plenty of action and nonsense. This is a modern classroom fill
Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀
May 28, 2012 Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀ rated it it was amazing
An Annoying ABC by Barbara Bottner is the perfect book for parents looking to introduce the alphabet to their child. Miss Mabel's class of boisterous misbehaving students will have your child laughing and learning at the same time. The class of twenty-five students--whose names just happen to coincide with the alphabet--makes the reading fun. Least you think I have missed a letter don't forget the teacher, which makes twenty-six. Adelaide to Zelda annoy each other with perfectly matched behavior ...more
Sep 14, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
What a fun story that reflects the realities of teaching young children! "It was a quiet morning until...Adelaide annoyed Bailey." Bottner marches through the alphabet, with one child after another creating an annoying problem. Finally, Adelaide begins a string of apologies and the children return to a quiet afternoon with the teacher reading Miss Brooks Loves Books!.

Completely charming and fun! This might be one that teachers actually like better than students. My only small complaint is that I
Oct 06, 2011 paula rated it it was amazing
Oh, brother! "It was a quite morning, until..." All hell breaks loose at a kindergarten (or perhaps Pre-K), beginning with artless little Adelaide, who puts on a tiger mask and annoys Bailey, which causes him to jostle Clyde, who drops the class mouse. Feeling defensive, Bailey blames Clyde, who cries. Miss Mabel mutters, "My, my, my." Energetic, funny, with super duper word choices and inventive misbehavior, every page of this book has something to love. I'm going to go read it to my big boys r ...more
Jun 13, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: ala, arc, picture-books
Very nicely done! Smart, witty and humorous, with some great words. The illustrations are just as funny as the text. I chuckled all the way through.

I also liked seeing a picture book that depicts a diverse group without being about diversity. The kids are black, brown and white, with long hair and short, one in a wheelchair, girls in pants and in skirts ... And none of that has anything to do with the story.

(Note: I received a free advance reading copy of this book from the publisher at an Amer
Oct 11, 2011 Debrarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Each member of the preschool class pesters the next. "My my my," mutters Miss Mabel. In the end, Adelaide (who started it all by annoying Bailey) apologizes, creating a new chain reaction that leads to a quiet afternoon - mostly. Lots of good verb vocabulary here: Flora fumed; Vera vocalized!; Ursula is upended... I wish the pictures (maybe the book itself) were a trifle larger, but it's a good size for kids' hands, and they will love the expressive, cartoonish pics of kids poking and pestering ...more
T Crockett
Jun 29, 2015 T Crockett rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There are so many ABC books out there, it's hard to add something new to the genre. This book uses kids names for the alphabet letters and tells about how a day at preschool gets a bit out of hand. The kids and I both enjoyed that the kids were really being kids in the book and it sparked lots of discussion of what the kids should have done in response to each other and also "Do you remember when" type stories.
Apr 21, 2012 Carolina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abc, aphabet
Very cute book. It teaches children about the alphabet. However instead of using regular words to try and teach the alphabet, the book uses person's names. I thought it was a very creative book, I also liked it because it teaches cause and effect. after a child does something, it tells how it affects the following child. The illustrations are very cute and descriptive...

An activity I would do with this book, is to think of another name that starts with the letter of their name.
Jun 20, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Totally cute and a possible mentor text for either ABC books or poetry and alliteration.
Teachers? We've all had one of "these" mornings. If your lucky you get a mostly quiet and productive afternoon. The power of an apology!

Only what is up with the teacher's outfit? Pink bunny rabbits on a purple ... vest? With capri leggings and what looks like lime green cargo shorts? My only quibble. ;]
Jul 29, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This alphabet of bad behavior is full of excellent vocabulary and spot-on illustrations. When Adelaide annoys Bailey one morning, it causes a chain-reaction among the children in the classroom. Soon, boys and girls are being "elbowed" and "irritated" and "upended" left-to-right, in alphabetical order, until everyone ends up soaking wet and grumpy. How will harmony be restored? The answer begins with the letter A ("apologize") and leads to a (mostly) quiet afternoon.
I looooved "Miss Brooks Loves Books... and I Don't" by this super-cool duo, and I really liked this alphabet book. The kids aren't really annoying - they're pretty typical preschooler/kindergartners having one of those days. Adelaide annoys Bailey. Bailey blames Clyde. Clyde cries. And on it goes, like dominoes, until (after Zelda zaps her with the water spray) Adelaide apologizes (with help from Miss Mabel). Everyone apologizes, and the crew settles in for a story.
Aug 10, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
The illustrations. OH, THE ILLUSTRATIONS! I could spend hours poring over them to notice every tiny tricky detail. The story is cute - it begins with Adelaide annoying Bailey and then Bailey blaming Clyde, causing him to cry... and on through the alphabet until we come full circle with Zelda zapping Adelaide with water (and, finally, Miss Mabel the teacher having Adelaide apologize which leads to another chain of actions). This IS what happens in preschool!
Very cute ABC book featuring kids whose names start with each letter of the alphabet, and their alliterative behavior:

It was a quiet morning until...

Adelaide annoyed Bailey.

Bailey blamed Clyde.

Clyde cried.

Dexter drooled on Eloise.

And you get the picture. Emberley's illustrations are adorable, detailed, and funny. Better for one-on-one sharing than as a read-aloud, I think, to allow time to linger over each page's action.
This is fun and could be paired with Walter Was Worried or others for teaching alliteration. I love the descriptive language for misbehavior and emotional reactions. And, of course the reading Miss Brookls loves books in the mostly quiet afternoon was cute. Would that class size was limited to the 25 in Miss Mabel's class.
Apr 08, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
Oh, the day of a preschool teacher! How close it must be to this story of a chain reaction of minor annoyances that develops into bigger and bigger problems until it's total chaos. The fun in this story is that each child's name starts with a different letter of the alphabet and their bothersome behaviors match up as well. A good addition to my ever-expanding alphabet section.
Dec 26, 2014 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
This is a complex alphabet book but the premise is funny...all the kids are annoying each other...every kid in class has a name for each letter of the alphabet and all the annoying that goes on. I think it is too hard for a beginning reader because of all the words, but a great read a loud for a Kindergarten or a First Grade class
Nov 27, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok
30 months - An ok alphabet book but I think Ms. Bindergarten Get's Ready For Kindergarten does this type of Alphabetical kids names better in a more engaging story. However, the author has successfully incorporated many large words for vocabulary building although I'm not completely sure kids will pick up on their meaning.
Oct 13, 2011 Elisabeth rated it liked it
Okay book. It was fun to see Michael Emberley's "Maybe A Bear Ate it" character and to see the teacher read "Miss Brooks Loves Books" at the end. I can't see this is a good choice for a read aloud - pictures are too small and going through the alphabet can be tedious. Plus it's kinda already been done a bit with Miss Bindergarten.
Oct 09, 2012 Ciera rated it it was amazing
I liked that this story had a repeated and scaffolding story line, but also have new vocabulary to children. It went past the A is for Apple and B is for Ball, but used Annoying, instead. It also creates a fun little story that any child can relate to on one point or the other, and giggle along with. It's also one of the more fun books to read.
Ishta Mercurio
Dec 07, 2011 Ishta Mercurio rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love this author-illustrator duo. In this book, they manage to weave the ABCs into a story about how one little thing can lead to disaster, and another little thing can put it all right again. This laugh-out-loud funny book is the best ABC book I've seen in a long, long time.
Traci Bold
Aug 30, 2016 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
Clever use of ABC's for a funny book about a morning that gets out of hand at school.

Funny and boisterous. #PB #ABCs #concept

Written by Barbara Bottner, illustrated by Michael Emberley. Published by Alfred A. Knopf.
Nov 21, 2011 Dina rated it really liked it
I love Michael Emberley's illustrations of these kids. And Bottner's clever combination of alphabetical names with matching starting-letter actions that lead to an unhappy climax and an ultimately peaceful resolution. A great concept book. Darling!
Jan 27, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
It was a funny catchy book, but as far as teaching the ABC's it was not good at all. When we were done reading it, my son asked "where are the annoying ABC's?" He didn't realize that the kids names had anything to do with it. There are much better ABC books out there.
May 18, 2012 Shawna rated it really liked it
A very creative ABC book with higher level vocabulary as well as alliteration. This is a book that writing teachers could use for teaching word choice. The illustrations of the children "annoying" each other are great!
Mar 29, 2012 Jackie rated it it was amazing
An alphabet of names in Miss Brooks's Nursery School Class is fun of mischief and mayhem. One annoying thing after another sets off a chain reaction of hilarious antics...until apologies must be given and accepted.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Is for Musk Ox
  • Take Away the A
  • Along a Long Road
  • Al Pha's Bet
Barbara Bottner, New York Times best-selling author, is a screenwriter, TV writer, and writing coach, who began her multi-hyphenate career as an artist and actor. Designing off-Broadway sets in the ’60s led her to performance and following her career in theatre, she began writing and illustrating books for children. In total, she has written over 40 books in all areas of children’s literature incl ...more
More about Barbara Bottner...