Start by marking “Nia” as Want to Read:
Nia

Nia

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Suddenly this kneeling, filthy man caused all of my attention to pivot upon him when he grabbed my hand. I was just opening my mouth to warn him that he would surely be killed...no one was allowed to touch me, Princess Nia, without permission. My protesting words were replaced with a swift intake of breath as the soldier produced a strange-looking dagger and drug it lightl ...more
Published March 3rd 2011 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about Nia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nia

Alyssa hoffmaster
Blog tour for Nia right here

I honestly had no idea how good Nia was going to be. I fell in love with this story, I did feel it lacked romance, there was some romance in it, but not enough or me.

The beginning started off with Garreth swearing an oath to soon to be Queen Nia, swearing to stay by her side and protect her till one or the other died. Nia did not approve, she didn’t like someone following her around everywhere she went.

As the days grew Garreth grew on her, they began to get to know
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Nia is the fourth child, and only daughter, of the King of Brychan. Due to unfortunate circumstances, she is the only heir to the throne. No one believes she should be queen, not her, her father, or the kingdom. When the son of a conquered king swears an oath to be her protector and guard for the rest of his life, her life becomes even more complicated.

Nia was an amazingly complicated and real character. She suffers tremendous self doubt about her worth, in part because she has always been treat
Tristi
When one kingdom conquers another, it's customary for the surrendering army to present a gift of some kind to their conquerors. Sometimes it's land, or crops, or gold ... but in "Nia," a new fantasy novel by Mella Reese, the gift is a man. That's right - the conquered kingdom offered up one of their own, a young man named Garreth, who will serve as Princess Nia's personal guard until her life, or his, comes to an end.

This is a nice concept, but in practical application, it's not working out so w
J. Morgan
First and foremost, let me congratulate author Mella Reese for a few things: #1 Fulfilling a dream of writing a book and getting it out there for people to read. #2 Overcoming Cushing's Disease. (This was noted on the back cover. I read up on the disease, and discovered for myself how challenging going through that must have been). And #3 for writing a rather enjoyable book.

I think Mella and I are kindred spirits as both our first books took place in a similar setting: the medieval times where t
Inspired Kathy
Nia is the type of book I enjoy reading. Super clean, great characters, interesting storyline...

I thought this book would be completely predictable and was surprised when it was not. Reading the summary I thought I knew from the start where this book was going. It wasn't until I had about 20 pages left that I realized it wasn't going to wrap up how I wanted it to. I didn't realize this was the first book in a series. At least it better be a series because the ending was not what I wanted it to b
Kristi Bernard
Nia is the princess of Brychan and it appears she will never be Queen. Her father, the King, has lost his 3 sons to war. Nia has lost her mother, the Queen, and the King has taken on a new younger bride with the hope of gaining another son to be heir to the throne. Garreth, and victim of a recent war and gift to Nia has been assigned to her as a protector. Not only does she have to adapt to this bulky man as her shadow, she must put up with crude relatives seeking to be heirs to the throne.

Follo
Jennifer Walker
Nia is part one of a three part series, so the princess's story is nowhere near over. At the end, while there is some resolution, it is really just the beginning of a new chapter, and it left me wanting to know what happens next in her life, politically and romantically. Author Mella Reese makes a few mistakes that are common in first novels--rushing the story by skipping through time a little too quickly, telling a little too much of the story in retrospect, and telling vs. showing. Some more d ...more
Cindi
Jun 18, 2011 Cindi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Nia is destined to be queen someday even though no one, including herself, wants her to wear the crown. Full of self-doubt, Nia struggles against the plots and intrigue in her land. At least, she has one true supporter - Garreth, who has sworn an oath to protect Nia.

The tale is creative and promising. There were some surprises within the story. However, the characters seemed to lack any real dimension and the relationships were unbelievable. There is nothing within the story to back the intense
Mella Reese
Nia has struggled with the fact that she is a princess and not taken seriously as an acceptable choice to become heir to the throne of Brychan. She is just a "woman" after all. To keep herself busy, she has taken on the roll of "healer" (following in her Mother's footsteps) & is preparing to marry her love Andras. When her father - a King who loves war - accepts a "gift" on her behalf, Nia's world is turned around. Her "gift", and now constant guard, Garreth helps her discover friendship, a ...more
Sheila
There were so many things I liked about this book,and there were also many things I wished had been there, but weren't. I wanted more romance but I feel that there will be more romance found
in the sequel. Nia has a very interesting plot that many readers of medieval fiction will love.There are also many action scenes that will get and keep your attention.

My rating for this book is 3 1/2 stars. (I so wish that Goodreads would break down and make it possible us to show our 3 1/2, 4 1/2 etc. rating
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This book is not what I expected. Honestly , I was thinking more on the romance lines. Young Princess, conspiring men trying to take the throne, handsome and loyal guard, fiancee, murder, etc. You would think that has the makings for a great romance, right? I am hoping that there will be a second book so I can get the romance that I REALLY wanted to see. Hint, Hint Mella. I want another book of Nia.

There really isn't much not to like about this book. It's clean and follows fours year in the life
Tanna
THis is written by a friend in my ward...I'm anxious to start I just downloaded on my kindle/phone. Let you know.
Nia Sallie
Nia Sallie marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Natasha Curulli
Natasha Curulli marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2012
Siara
Siara marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2012
Leah
Leah added it
Jul 05, 2012
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2012
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2012
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2012
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2011
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2011
Kelsi
Kelsi marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2011
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2011
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2011