Start by marking “A Changing Land (Gordon, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Changing Land (Gordon, #2)

A Changing Land (Gordon #2)

The sequel to The Bark Cutters, full of romance, tragedy, family secrets, and misunderstandings.
Past and present interweave in the continuing legacy of the Gordon family. It's the early 19th Century and Hamish Gordon has a massive rural holding built on stock theft and is determined to ensure that his son and heir, Angus, will inherit an enlarged property. Embarking on a
Published April 26th 2011 by Random House Australia (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Changing Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Changing Land

Aimz
Jun 07, 2011 Aimz rated it really liked it
A great sequel to 'The Bark Cutters' with a satisfying ending :)
Ginger Johnson
Jan 01, 2013 Ginger Johnson rated it it was amazing
Great book. Couldn't put it down. Loved how she wove past/present together Look forward to more by this author
Rowlie
Mar 19, 2017 Rowlie rated it it was amazing
A great follow on from The Bark Cutters and the subsequent years following. A great read.
Jun 12, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: light-reading
This book was just weird. First of all, I think the editor totally blew this job. One major character had a name change between books, some of the family's historical stuff got muddled and there were a few other inconsistencies that just niggled. In addition, the romance that got sorted in the previous book went sideways, apparently just for dramatic effect. The introduction of a possible half brother in the previous book turned into a major debacle, especially when it turned out his mother lied ...more
Pete Loveday
Jul 01, 2013 Pete Loveday rated it liked it
As the sequel to The Bark Cutters, this book develops more of the complex characters, in particular Sarah who is having difficulty accepting her passion and love for the family cattle station, Wangallon. Her love for Anthony becomes overshadowed by the terms of her grandfathers Will and her discovery of a half brother in Scotland who wants his inheritance.
The story is well crafted with many twists and turns but moves at a slow pace until the conclusion.
The characters are all somewhat shallow and
Sharlene
May 01, 2014 Sharlene rated it really liked it
I read this knowing it was the second book, but I grabbed it as it was the only one in the library on the day! I enjoyed it, but did find it a little hard going at the beginning - probably because I hadn't read the first book in the series, AND because it was my first 'bush' book - not something I've ever read before. By the second half, I was really in to it, and the last quarter was unputdownable - absolutely thrilling in conclusion. I will be getting the first book as soon as I can!
Robyn Gibson
Aug 12, 2016 Robyn Gibson rated it it was amazing
Carrying on from The Bark Cutters but would be just as good on its own. After her grandfather's death Sarah finds she has a third share of Wangallon Station. Anthony, 'the jackaroo' is by her side most of the time. The story jumps from 1908 to 1989, then at the end 1990. I hope this isn't the absolute end. Nicole Alexander has an incredible way of describing everything, including two dogs chewing on dog biscuits, the way the sky changes colour, everything. I love her books!
Kate
Apr 06, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book was certainly a page turner for sure. I enjoyed The Bark Cutters and this was a continuation of that story. I was disappointed that the relationships that seemed so amiable in the first book were not the same in the sequel. The characters that i loved in the first were so shallow in this one but never the less I found myself unable to put the book down. I think you have to read them in order to really understand the story line though.
Judy O'Laoi
Feb 09, 2016 Judy O'Laoi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nicole-alexander
Thoroughly enjoyable follow on from The Bark Cutters, a family saga with Scottish heritage along with the early settlement of Australia, through to the late 20th century. Nicole Alexander has woven the story of early settlement with the current generation surviving the hardships of rural life. Most enjoyable.
Kristy M
Dec 10, 2016 Kristy M rated it it was ok
A time slip style narrative about a family's history and connection with a farming land. Kinda not a huge fan of NA - yikes! But want to read more Australiana. Have just started in the new role of Outreach Services at work :)
Sue
Oct 23, 2016 Sue rated it liked it
I had trouble getting into the first half of this book following on from the Bark cutters. It wasn't satisfying until a mystery started to unfold just past halfway. Then I was hooked. I was intrigued about a twist at the end, it wasn't explained very well.
Belinda
Jan 29, 2013 Belinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accurate recall of true Australian bush life :)
Susiekenzie
Susiekenzie rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2014
penelopewanders
If I had not already had this in my bookshelf, I'm not sure I would have bothered with this. There were parts I found interesting, but some aspects were such that I could not really enjoy it. A main difficulty was the dizzyingly rapid switches between time periods. I generally enjoy "back then" and "now" books, but there was no time to sink into a period without being flipped back to the other - often what felt like from chapter to chapter. Yes, there were parallels that needed to be (or could b ...more
Cathy Mcardle
Cathy Mcardle rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2012
Jo-Anne Smith
Jo-Anne Smith rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2013
linda golding
linda golding rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Michelle Howison
Michelle Howison rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2014
Kim Power
Kim Power rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2012
Claire Soulsby
Claire Soulsby rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2017
Helen Windle
A good Australiana storyline spanning 100 years and easy to read.
Jo-ann Sozou
Jo-ann Sozou rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Bronwyn
Bronwyn rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2011
Kath Jas
Kath Jas rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Natasha Verazzi
Natasha Verazzi rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2015
Kay
Kay rated it it was ok
Nov 06, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Juzz Brindley
Juzz Brindley rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Susan Dawson
Susan Dawson rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2014
norma
norma rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Morgan's Law
  • Heart of Gold
  • Bella's Run
  • Wattle Creek
  • Blackwattle Lake
  • Blue Skies
  • Burning Lies (Border Watch #3)
  • Dark Country (Dungirri, #2)
  • Rosalee Station
  • Heart of the Valley
  • The Cattleman's Daughter
  • Redstone Station
  • Man Drought
Nicole Alexander is the author of seven novels: The Bark Cutters, A Changing Land, Absolution Creek, Sunset Ridge, The Great Plains, Wild Lands and River Run (Pub. 2016). An Uncommon Woman will be released July 2017.

Non-fiction includes; Divertissements: Love. War. Society. - a collection of poetry. And, Dear Mum, an anthology.

Nicole lives in north-west NSW, Australia and when she's not writing or
More about Nicole Alexander...

Gordon (2 books)
  • The Bark Cutters (Gordon, #1)