Start by marking “There's a Good Girl: Gender Stereotyping in the First Three Years of Life, a Diary” as Want to Read:

First published ten years ago and now available with a new afterword by the author and her daughter, the diary of the author's first three years of motherhood, which charts her attempts to raise her daughter in a non-sexist way.
Published March 1st 1990 by Women's Press (UK) (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about There's a Good Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's a Good Girl

Emer O'Toole
Jul 06, 2016 Emer O'Toole rated it it was amazing
An essential feminist classic for anyone trying to understand the nature and nurture debate. Especially interesting for me because I was born at around the same time as Grabucker's daughter Anneli, and can imagine that my gendered conditioning was very similar to hers.
Geraldine
May 03, 2014 Geraldine rated it really liked it
I remembered as I was reading this that I read it when my daughter was little and bits of it had stayed in my memory after all these years. It's quite an old book - 1988 - but still really relevant (I'm pretty sure the situation has barely improved). There are a few comments that jar nowadays tho' e.g. a reference to her daughter being given an ivory necklace. I also suppose if I wanted to be picky that her observations are based only on her toddler daughter - the author doesn't have a son.
One b
Pam
Dec 04, 2007 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, feminism, gender
A diary of the first few years of a daughter's life with an eye to what gender messages she gets, and internalizes.

I absolutely loved this book, but I also read it while living in Norway for a semester. Living somewhere I dn't really know the language makes anything in english much more lovable (though I think this was a german book in translation.)
Emily
Jun 16, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
In diary format, which makes it a little slow and repetitive and less reflective than a memoir could have been. However, There's a Good Girl will make you think and crush your soul. It will also remind you of the many ways you've treated children differently according to their perceived gender in the past and will make you behave better in the future.
Gwen
Jan 15, 2014 Gwen rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminism, non-fiction
Interesting stuff. About what you'd expect, sadly - but given it was written in the early 80s, I do think that there have been some improvements.
Kali
May 06, 2012 Kali rated it it was amazing
A fascinating account of how one mother found her daughter's gender identity continually reinforced as traditionally female.
Peter Bestvina
Peter Bestvina rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Tracey Gaughan
Tracey Gaughan rated it it was ok
Mar 29, 2017
Laura Taylor
Laura Taylor rated it liked it
May 17, 2017
Kristína
Kristína rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2017
Shirley Good
Shirley Good rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Kitty Russell
Kitty Russell rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
Lucy
Lucy rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2014
RatCreature
RatCreature rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2012
Middlethought
Middlethought rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2017
Fleur
Fleur rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2011
Henna
Nov 19, 2015 Henna added it
Thought-provoking.
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Duffy
Duffy rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2012
Antje
Antje rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2010
Frankie
Frankie rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2008
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2011
Dee
Dee rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2014
Jo
Sep 02, 2014 Jo added it
Shelves: uni-list
As I recall this was very interesting.
Zeem
Zeem rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Kummeli
Kummeli rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2011
Lucia Szabova
Lucia Szabova rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Eva
Eva rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2012
Alana Farrell
Alana Farrell rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Shelby
Shelby rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2013