There's a Good Girl: Gender Stereotyping in the First Three Years of Life, a Diary

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  5 reviews
First published ten years ago and now available with a new afterword by the author and her daughter, the diary of the author's first three years of motherhood, which charts her attempts to raise her daughter in a non-sexist way.
Published March 1st 1990 by Women's Press (UK)

Geraldine
I remembered as I was reading this that I read it when my daughter was little and bits of it had stayed in my memory after all these years. It's quite an old book - 1988 - but still really relevant (I'm pretty sure the situation has barely improved). There are a few comments that jar nowadays tho' e.g. a reference to her daughter being given an ivory necklace. I also suppose if I wanted to be picky that her observations are based only on her toddler daughter - the author doesn't have a son.
One b...more
Pam
A diary of the first few years of a daughter's life with an eye to what gender messages she gets, and internalizes.

I absolutely loved this book, but I also read it while living in Norway for a semester. Living somewhere I dn't really know the language makes anything in english much more lovable (though I think this was a german book in translation.)
Gwen
Interesting stuff. About what you'd expect, sadly - but given it was written in the early 80s, I do think that there have been some improvements.
Emily
In diary format, which makes it a little slow and repetitive and less reflective than a memoir could have been. However, There's a Good Girl will make you think and crush your soul. It will also remind you of the many ways you've treated children differently according to their perceived gender in the past and will make you behave better in the future.
Kali
A fascinating account of how one mother found her daughter's gender identity continually reinforced as traditionally female.
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Lexica
Lexica marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Berni
Berni marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Eleanor
Eleanor marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Alana Farrell
Alana Farrell marked it as to-read
Claire Meadows
Claire Meadows marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
KingLeeroy
KingLeeroy marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Rachel Speed
Rachel Speed marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Lucy
Lucy added it
Feb 17, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2013
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2013
Isobel
Isobel marked it as to-read
Nancy Lili Gonzalez
Nancy Lili Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Lucy Hill
Lucy Hill marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2013
Typisch Mädchen... Karrieremutter, Superkids?: Berufstatige Frauen Und Ihre Erwachsenen Kinder Ziehen Bilanz