Trial By Fury (J.P. Beaumont, #3)

Trial By Fury (J.P. Beaumont #3)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,891 ratings  ·  85 reviews
The dead body discovered in a Seattle dumpster was shocking enough—but equally disturbing was the manner of death. The victim, a high school coach, had been lynched, leaving behind a very pregnant wife to grieve over his passing, and to wonder what dark secrets he took to his grave. A Homicide detective with twenty years on the job, J.P. Beaumont knows this case is a powde...more
Published March 17th 2009 by William Morrow (first published December 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Trial By Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trial By Fury

Thomas Bruso
In her usual page-driven narrative, J. A. Jance delivers another fast-paced suspense story like no other author working today. It is a riveting, aggressive work of fiction at its very best.

"Trial By Fury," a third solid homerun in the ongoing J. P. Beaumont mystery series, unravels a gruesome discovery for the acerbic detective in the form of a high school coach. Left behind a dumpster, the body is later identified as Darwin Ridley, a victim of a hate crime--a lynching, no less.

The story moves a...more
Sheila
I like this series of police dramas but I got turned off by the narration in the audiobook and switched to large print book instead. In this book J.P. Beaumont is investigating what appears to be a lynching of a black basketball coach in a primarily white school in Seattle. On closer investigation there is a lot more going on. I gave it 4 stars.

I previously read this book in Dec. 2010 but didn't realize it until well into the book.
Nancy
Starte this one today and read the whole thing. it helped that I was in the car for 6-7 hours and that my husband was listening to a tedious Tom Clancy audiobook (I admit - my fault because I checked it out of the library for him since we were going on a 6-day road trip). The other books I am reading require more concentration; this I could read with the background distraction. It is not the best J. P. Beaumont mystery but it kept me entertained. An African-American basketball coach (at an elite...more
Lenny Findley
This book was both the most and least enjoyable of the J.P.Beaumont series so far. Beau was at his most erasable self in this book, but I found the ending unsatisfying. The development of the story was great, but then you find out who did it and bang she gets killed in a car wreck. Peters survives, but you're left hanging. I'm left with very mixed feelings about the book.

I've read all of the Ally Reynolds books, and most of the Joanna Brady books, and had started reading J.P. Beaumont books as I...more
Norma
Jance never disappoints..this time Beaumont is on the trail of the killer of a high school basketball coach. I know Seattle only slightly, but, some of the places are familiar and I always wonder 'Does that restaurant or that school or that hotel really exist?' I'm saving all of these re-reads for whenever it's time to go to "the home".... Or maybe I'll become a fan of Audio books. I hope that's a good many years away and they'll all sound vaguely familiar and I'll figure out who the killer is b...more
Neil Mudde
Another great read by Jance, filled with all sorts of characters that kept me glued to the book, good heavens there were twists and turns which I really do not want to give away in order to spoil the reading of the book for others.
The book is filled with love, of sorts, racism, twisted personalities, and several surprises, as sometime I felt I knew were the author was going, or thought I did, and surprise, surprise the story took on a total different conclusion.
As a gay male, I tend to be sensit...more
Carol
I am a huge fan of J.A. Jance. I enjoy the J.P. Beaumont series but this book was a train wreck!..The third book in the series (1986). Detective's Beaumont and his partner Peters are on the case of a dead high school basketball coach. A good story line....but, the constant bickering and out guessing between Beaumont and Peters made me want to trash the book. Jance had some good characters,but then they all seemed to go "out of character"....
Carole Anderson
J.A. Jance is one of my favorite authors. I first fell in love with Joanna Brady, then found J.P. Beaumont. I found the Beaumont books after she had written several, so Ron Peters was always paralyzed - not I know the whole story. As always, my attention never wavers during the book and I have to read the whole thing from start to finish. This was another great story!!!
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
An average thriller. The plot is an oft-used one. Scorned woman and the fury that leads to murder. Why is it such a favorite of writers.? From the very beginning,the story was transparent,you could see the motive and the perpetrator. I guess this is my first reading of this author and I rate her nowhere near the good ones,but I'll try a few more just to make sure.
Mum
The J. P. Beaumont series, while interesting is not as engaging as the Joanna Brady series does have its good moments. It's weaknesses about traffic jams, senseless murders and an arch-enemy in the media continue to weaken what is otherwise a perfectly good mystery.
Diana
I have read the JP Beaumont series out of order & I finally read this installment (book #3) & was very pleasantly surprised by the story & the writing. I knew JA Jance is a great writer, but even her earlier books are very good, as this book shows.
Elsie
I have read many J. A. Jance books, but have missed many of the older books. This book is from 1986! And it is one of the early J. P. Beaumont books.I really enjoyed it and would like to go back and pick up some of the other older books.
Chris
Deborah Darsie
JP Beaumont is a curmudgeonly Seattle PD detective and he is still trying to find his path in relation to the vast inheritance (see the 1st book!) and the impact of that on the way he is perceived professionally.

I really enjoy reading the Beaumont books which take place near where I live. References to neighborhoods, venues and geography make the read that much more absorbing.

The murder plot was convoluted, since there are a few potential directions which the violence could have come from.

(sem...more
Carol Hassett
J.A. Jance has to be my favorite of all mystery writers. Another great book in the J.P. Beaumont series.
Donna Collier
Quick read, entertaining, easy. Kind of predictable, but enjoyable all the same!
Donna Mcnab
A high school football coach is found dead, apparently having been stripped and hung. When J. P. Beaumont and his partner, Ron Peters, go to inform his wife, they find her very pregnant and due in two weeks. Should they suspect a pregnant woman, or should they look farther afield for the murderer? These Beaumont novels are great and I now need to get to the next one to find out what is happening in the life of Beau, who recently purchased an interest in a condo building and is about to move into...more
Jackie
Been reading these out of order somehow. Makes it a little confusing.
Kenneth Flusche
Again a re-read knew the ending with the girl scout cookies but the story was just as spell binding as the first time.
Marti
While I didn't enjoy this one as much as I have the prior ones in the series, I did enjoy it.
Cherisse
Kcgood
The book opens with a lynching, and still, it had such a slow beginning, I almost gave up. Not sure what made it drag. But it did eventually pick up and finish strongly. Jance also ends up addressing and discrediting both the racial stereotypes that seem to motivate the crime and a brief homophobic description that marred the first book. (It was only a couple of sentences long, but still.) The supposed pedophile, the supposed victim, the supposed defenders of the innocent...don't hang onto any o...more
Steve
After reading some of the newer Beaumont novels, I went back with a list to the library and began reading the early ones. Jance certainly knows what she's doing, and has consistently provided an exciting story, plot development and character development.

This one is showing its age, though. Imagine fumbling through your pocket for quarters for the pay phone, or driving to the state capitol to get a motor vehicle registration printout. Makes you wonder how we got along without the internet...
KDawn
Jan
I had deja vu all the way through this book. I know I've read it in the last few years, but had no proof so, I skimmed through it again. JP Beaumont lives in the 80s-90s Seattle that I lived in. We didn't hang out in the same places, but it is fun to visit his haunts such as the now-defunct Doghouse. The mystery was a big ol twister that ends up changing Beaumont's life and the lives of those around him. Not scary like Lehane, but as thrilling as Connelly. Will read more of this series.
Kay
Loved the book. Can't wait to read entire series.
Lola4
This is one of my favorite Beaumont books and a very fast and exciting read. I have read several of the later books and know the character after he's dry and matured, both by aging and applying the wisdom he's picked up in AA, so I really enjoyed reading a story from the point of view of the much younger heavy-drinking, hung-over, quick-tempered Beau. Jance did a wonderful job of growing-up this character in future novels, but the younger hell-raiser is more fun.
Bonnie
This was a very disturbing idea that teenage girls would cause so much hurt and pain to so many people. I felt even though they started the pain as a joke, they were victims as well of an evil person who began to kill so many people. Harshness towards the perpetrator was how JP Beaumont felt, and I agreed with him completely. Sometimes the difference between bad and good is not so obvious, but in this it was. I enjoyed the book.
April
I would give this 3.5 stars. I liked it but not as much as the previous Beaumont book. In this one, Beau and Peters are investigating the death of a high school basketball coach. A good mystery, but I had it pretty much figured out. I like mysteries that keep me guessing.
It was exciting towards the end, when Peters is missing and Beau is searching and solving the crime at the same time.
Overall an enjoyable book.
  • Borderlines (Joe Gunther #2)
  • Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3)
  • Cast In Stone (Leo Waterman, #2)
  • Ten Little Bloodhounds
  • Undercurrents (Boldt/Matthews, #1)
  • First Degree
  • Hunting Season (Anna Pigeon, #10)
  • Running from the Law
  • The Girl With Braided Hair (Wind River Reservation, #13)
  • The Blue Hour
  • The Night Monster (Jack Carpenter #3)
  • Cry Dance
  • The Demon of River Heights (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Hermit's Peak (Kevin Kerney, #4)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann...more
More about J.A. Jance...
Desert Heat (Joanna Brady, #1) Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont #1) Betrayal of Trust (J.P. Beaumont, #20) Fire and Ice (J.P. Beaumont, #19 / Joanna Brady, #14) Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)

“In the world of murder and mayhem, liars are losers. And they’re usually guilty.” 0 likes
“When are you going to give up and accept the inevitable? Automation and microchips are here to stay.” 0 likes