Start by marking “Yes Day!” as Want to Read:
Yes Day!

Yes Day!

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  553 ratings  ·  133 reviews

Pizza for breakfast?

Not having to clean your room?

Staying up really late?

Every kid's dream?

Welcome to Yes Day!

Published November 15th 2010 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Yes Day!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yes Day!

Kathryn
Why is it that some of AKR's books are like perfection to me, while others merely meander along pleasantly but without any pizazz :-( I think the concept of "Yes Day!" is great--a day when the kid gets the answer of "Yes" to all his desires (wouldn't we all love one of those!?) Some of the illustrations are cute, but the story is pretty predictable and nothing really special in the writing:

"Can I have ice cream?"
(we see him getting ice cream)
"Can I eat lunch outside?"
(we see him eating lunch by
Amy
Mar 14, 2013 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Ryan
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
I am so tempted to drop this onto my fantasy shelf, because as I read this to my nephew it was clear that this sort of day would absolutely be a child's fantasy! His eyes lit up, and he was grinning like a fool from cover to cover.

The end papers were clever, too; a calendar in which every day is some form of "no day," until the final day of the month when it's Yes Day. We read each of the "no day" notations on the calendar, and when we finished my niece said, "Man. That is one bad month."
Mary
I think every kid deserves a "yes" day at least once a year. Within reason, of course. I don't think I could say yes to "can I drive your car?". I might even give myself a yes day! Donuts for lunch? Yes! Two hour nap? Yes! Spend the day in my pajamas? Yes!
Imagine a day when every answer is "yes" - a child's dream come true! The illustrations in this are fun, and the timing of showing the results after a page turn add drama. The boy asks mother, "Can I please [love the manners] have pizza for breakfast?" *page turn* to picture of boy eating pizza! Kids loved this one and we had fun sharing what we'd ask for if we had a "yes day". Many students asked for expensive items, but we could refer back to the story and see that the things the boy wanted we ...more
Devan
Summary:
A young boy has his best day ever as his parents say yes to everything! He gets to have pizza for breakfast, style his hair crazy for pictures, does not have to clean his room, picks out whatever he wants at the grocery store, gets ice cream, eats lunch outside, has a food fight, makes up his own game, gets a piggy back ride, has his friend stay for dinner and gets to stay up really late.
Critique:
This story is something both children and parents could relate to. Both would have their di
Dolly
Aug 13, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens
Our girls loved this book and to a certain extent, so did I. Children hear "no" all day every day, and for one day of their lives, it would be nice to hear "yes" all day long. They have already asked to have one of their very own and I will try to accommodate. I like Mary K's idea - perhaps I'll have take a "yes" day of my very own! The book has fun illustrations and we loved the endpapers.
Heather
My kids loved this book! One of our favorite parts is the selection of cereal he puts in the cart: "with one whole oat in each serving!" etc. Now my son wants a yes day -- which could be a dangerous thing! At the very least, we would have to specify a budget. . .

I really do hate having to say no so often as a mom. It would be a refreshing change to be able to say yes more often!
Lauren Brink
This book is about a little boy and everything he asks to do on this day the answer is “yes.” Different things he asks to do are eat pizza for dinner, get ice cream, make up his own game, have his friend over, postpone cleaning his room, use hair gel in his hair, have a food fight, and more. This was a short and sweet book. It is an easy read with limited words on each page. However, I think this book sends the wrong message to kids. I understand that kids do not take books as seriously as I do ...more
Esther
Aurora loves this book. We actually had instituted a "yes day" in our family before we read this book. Aurora was in a stage where she said "no" to everything and was pretty resistant. Yes day change that for us. We took turns to request something from the others and the other had to say yes. The requests of course had to be reasonably feasible and although A was 3 1/2 on our first yes day she got the concept of "reasonably feasible" and we were able to say "yes" to all her requests. She loved i ...more
Amanda
As a parent, I think the best/funniest part of this book are the endpages which show a calendar of all the ways parents say "no". The story itself is simple about having one day a year when the answer is always yes. More precocious children may make this a dangerous read!
Jammie Mays
Yes day! This is a very fun book, it makes me what to have my own yes day. When reading the book each spread is taken up by three-fourths of the photo of them doing the action for the previous question, while the other forth is left for the next question; or the page is broken in half and the action is on the top in the larger section and the next question is on the bottom of the page waiting to be asked and then revealed. The photos go across the gutter and make it easy for the reader to follow ...more
Nancy Jo Lambert
I really liked this book and so did my son. However, the problem with this book, is that now my 4 year old thinks we need to have a YES day. Oh brother!

Really fun and highly entertaining.
Ryan
Great illustrations.
It's a very short, simple book, but I loved the concept.
It made me want to have a yes day with my kids. (I'll have to save up.)
Angela Hutchinson
This book is about a little boy and his favorite day of the year, "Yes Day." This would be a great book to read to kindergarten then have the students do a writing/drawing assignment on some things they would ask for if they could have a "yes day." I loved this book, but in reality I feel that it is a fantasy because children in today's society are being told "no" or "don't do that". It is a great concept, but would need some stipulations to actually practice the concept. I adore the illustratio ...more
Lisa the Librarian
I found this book to be delightful, fun and whimsical! It was a "must have" not only for the library, but for my personal collection as well.

Yes Day! was a featured title at our Scholastic Book Fair. Scholastic produces a DVD for each fair that showcases some of the books offered that particular fair. This particular book had a special segment featuring the author, Amy Krouse Rosenthal and the illustrator Tom Lictenheld discussing the importance of collaboration in the creative process.

This gave
Rosa Cline
The little boy in the book calls his birthday his 'yes day' simply because everything he asks to do or have he is allowed to do (but not in a spoiled way) he looks forward to 'tomorrow being yes day' and the story follows him throughout his special day. A very cute way of describing what a celebration of a birthday should be, without the party and gift giving just spending special time and making a person feel special.
Stacy
We instituted a yes day in our family because of this book and the kids really look forward to it. The talking about it and planning for it make the pleasure last for weeks. I often get comments like, "next year on yes day, I am asking for that." Their favorite is ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (but they easily agree to the healthy part first.)
Jackie
What if...you had a day when every answer was YES! Amy Krouse Rosenthal has captured the joy of positive response in Yes Day!: a day when all (almost) things are possible. Pizza for breakfast? YES! Ice cream before dinner? YES! Stay up really late? YES!

This is one of my all time favorite picture books. Great for storytime (and discussion).
Hae Sun
This was a cute book where all the answers are "YES!" Pizza for breakfast, messy rooms, and ICE CREAM!!!

I could use this book for a writing assignment. I would have students write to their parents and try to convince them that we should have a Yes Day too.
Emily Bernd
This book is very cute and allows students to use their imagination. My kids at work this it's funny and fun for all elementary ages to imagine a day where yes was the answer to everything.
Rebecca
Cute picture book but even better concept -- what a great gift to give to a kid (or yourself) -- a day when the answer to everything you may want to give yourself is "yes"!
Tiffany
Such a cute book! What would you ask your parents to allow you to do if they had to answer "yes" to everything?
Vivian
Valentine's Day is about getting your way, maybe.

Before beginning the story read at least one line on the book's end papers:
Monday: "Maybe tomorrow" Day
Tuesday: "NO" Day
Wednesday: "We'll see" Day
Thursday: "Not today" Day
Friday: "You gotta be kidding me" Day
Saturday: "NEVER" Day
Turn the page and point to the circled box on the wall calendar.

Put your hand up in the air.
Keep it there and turn your hand.
Make a fist.
Pull your arm down while saying,

Let's do that again. (Let the children do this ev
Heidi
Not my favorite work by the author, but it's cute with gentle humor. I like that the child doesn't ask for outrageous things so that it makes Yes Day a fun possibility. And it's nice that the parents go along with it. Though I do like the ending with the father. :-)

9/29/14-10/2/14: I had this as an option during the Morningside school visits that I did this week. I read it in a K class and it was well received (except the end where it ended). Of course, the kids picked up on the idea that everyt
Paula
A little boy gets everything he asks for on Yes Day, a special day that only comes once a year.
Joan
Just a fun book that reminds readers that sometimes kids must have their way.
Kevin
That would be great to have a YES day once a year.
Shelli
What kid wouldn’t want a Yes Day!? A day when your every request is answered with a yes. Pizza for breakfast?? Why of course! Ice Cream BEFORE dinner? Absolutely! I’m sure having an annual fantast event like “Yes Day” would make any child take notice of the calendar. Will I mark a “yes day” on my calendar…. probably not. Putting it on the calendar for my daughter would be like taking the unbreakable vow in the realm of Harry Potter, but I may surprise her with a “yes day” every once in a blue mo ...more
Stacy268
Oct 23, 2008 Stacy268 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacy268 by: preview
This book is TOO CUTE!

Imagine being a kid and having a Yes Day. Everything you ask is answered with Yes.

Our little boy wakes up and spies the red circle on the calendar and shouts, "Yes!"

Pizza for breakfast? Yes!
Hair gel pre-family picture? Yes!
Choose the groceries? Yes!

With illustrations that are filled with motion, readers will delight in this title that will have them thinking about what they would be asking on their Yes Day!
Michele Knott
Feb. 2012 Book Fair selection
Who doesn't want a day where the answer to every question is "yes"! Pizza for breakfast? Clean the room tomorrow? Food fight? Yes, yes, yes! Kids will like seeing the crazy requests he comes up with. My favorite? On the front and back inside cover are all of the ways to say "no" - "no way, jose day", "two thumbs down day", "not gonna happen day"!
What would you ask for on your "yes" day?
  • Put It On the List!
  • Chicken Little
  • E-mergency!
  • I'm Bored
  • The Chicken Problem
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • If You Were a Penguin
  • Good News, Bad News
  • A Friend's Tale (Library Mouse #2)
  • A Kitten Tale
  • Silly Tilly
  • Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly
Amy Krouse Rosenthal is. She divides her time.
More about Amy Krouse Rosenthal...
Duck! Rabbit! Little Pea Exclamation Mark Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life Spoon