Start by marking “So, You Wanna Be A Comic Book Artist?: How To Break Into Comics! The Ultimate Guide For Kids” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
So, You Wanna Be a Comic Book Artist? is a hip how-to book that helps aspiring young comic book artists realize their dreams. Using a lively, informative style, Phil Amara shows kids how to create their own superheroes, write storylines, get their comics published, and possibly become famous.

The book features precise techniques for creating a superhero or villain, advice o

Published September 30th 2001 by Simon Pulse/Beyond Words

To ask other readers questions about So, You Wanna Be A Comic Book Artist?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So, You Wanna Be A Comic Book Artist?

Annamarie
Jul 16, 2012 Annamarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Within these pages you will find out how to achieve your dream of becoming a comic book artist. Here Philip will share tips of the trade from what types of materials to use to create your one of a kind work of art, all the way to even promoting yourself once you feel ready.
This book is a very friendly introduction to starting a career in comics for younger artists that may be inspired by very well known works such as Batman, Superman, and Fantastic Four. We are even treated to some interviews o
Cynthia E Sherman
Jul 11, 2012 Cynthia E Sherman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This is a Good Reads first reads book giveaway. I enjoyed reading this book. It is well organized and informational. I especially loved the mini comic book creator sections. These sections had various ages of young creators. This will appeal to would be creators of comics. I can not wait till my future students read this.
Dan
Dec 02, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents of young artists-to-be
If you have a youngster with a love for drawing and a desire to produce comic books, then Philip Amara's "So, You Want To Be A Comic Book Artist?" is something you should check out right away.

Over the course of 12 chapters, Amara provides an overview of the comic writing process -- from developing a plot to promoting the product, there is information on the tools of the trade, technique, character development, etc.

In addition, each chapter also offers examples of comic book art (beginner to pro)
Karen
Dec 11, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book and gave the book to a coworker's nephew (8 years old) to read and review.
The following review is by Mark Jones as written:

I have read So, You Want To Be A Comic Book Artist? I loved it; this book shows how to make a mini comic book. I liked these comic books; EviL, Love LivE and, Amortek. I also read Silver Shadow a lot because it was cute. This book helped me learn how to profile, so I could make a comic book so that I could lay out the plays in advance. Al
Ashley
Jan 23, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: resource
This was a great resource! I particularly benefited from the sections on character and plot creation. The questions the author poses really get the brain juices flowing. He is also a charismatic writer in general. I love how he incorporated a wide variety of comics in his examples and how he had comic artists of all ages share about their processes and favorite inspirations. I got some ideas for new comics/manga to read.
Christina Taylor
Jul 07, 2013 Christina Taylor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Presented as a self-help guide, this comprehensive work features a step-by-step explanation of how to become a comic book artist, insights from world-famous artists, tips from veteran artists, and inspirational anecdotes from young artists - discussing tools, drawing, character and plot creation, layout, self-promotion, and more. Amara’s text is best suited for younger readers, those who are novices to this vein of thought, or older less reflective readers. Consequently, it would make a nice ent ...more
Nancy
The title of this book pretty much says it all. So, You Want to be a Comic Book Artist. Do you like to draw? Do you sometimes draw comics? This book may be just want you need to help you go further. Learn how to create a great character. Write a story. And even get some publicity. Give it a try.
Adam
Jul 14, 2013 Adam rated it it was amazing
This book is great for young artists who want to learn how to make their own comic books. I received a copy when I was a sixth grader, and used it as a handy guide in my own projects. I still have the book and consider it one of the earliest inspirations that led me to follow a career in illustration.
Robin
Feb 20, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great introduction to getting into the world of creating comics for kids. I liked how the author interviewed artists whom we've heard and some we haven't! Really a great title for kids.
Kirk Bullough
Mar 03, 2008 Kirk Bullough rated it liked it
This book was ok. I ordered it online so i was disappointed when I realized it was more about the business side of things than the actual drawing part.
Fanette
Fanette is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2016
Miranda
Miranda rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Julianna
Julianna marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Pasquale Astone
Pasquale Astone marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Wes
Wes marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Bayla
Bayla marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Bappaditya Das
Bappaditya Das rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Stephie Dz'
Stephie Dz' marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Sylvan Library
Sylvan Library marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Alma Kurgas
Alma Kurgas marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Ronnie
Ronnie added it
Feb 29, 2016
Javier Lopez
Javier Lopez rated it did not like it
Oct 21, 2015
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Marley
Marley marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Phil Amara began reading comics at a young age. He is the co-creator of Burglar Girls, The Nevermen, and Sky Ape, and has written for Star Wars and Aliens, among others. He is currently the editor of SpyBoy, Planet of the Apes, and the Eisner Award-winning Sock Monkey, as well as co-editor on the American Illustration Award-winner, Scatterbrain, all for Dark Horse Comics.
More about Philip Amara...