Start by marking “Living Gluten-Free for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Living Gluten-Free for Dummies

Living Gluten-Free for Dummies (For Dummies)

If you have a wheat allergy, gluten intolerance, coeliac disease, or just want to enjoy the benefits of a diet free from wheat, barley and rye, then this book is for you. Our expert author team of registered dieticians explain the basics of gluten intolerance and the medical problems associated with it, plus give you practical guidance on how to make the transition to a gl ...more
Published December 9th 2010 by For Dummies (first published March 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Living Gluten-Free for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Gluten-Free for Dummies

Kim
Jan 25, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I inhaled this book. some of it was a little bit too rushed, or too much info.. the recipes were dissapointing, im a microwave/cook from a box girl, i don't own a bread machine, haven't the foggiest what rice paper is. I was hoping since it was a dummies book, the recpies would be dummied down.. I'm cooking for myself and a 6 year old, im a single mom, i have no desire to make some gormet meal that all the cook books ive been seeing are telling me to make..bring on the gluten free mac and cheese ...more
Lia
Mar 23, 2010 Lia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, gluten-free
Much of this book is lifted from Wheat-Free, Worry-Free: The Art of Happy, Healthy Gluten-Free Living. Is it better? Well, depends on what you like. This book is heavily formatted, and if you like the dummies style of formatting, you will probably really like this book. I have a few issues with the dummies style. It's a formula, which means that the information has to fit a certain mold. This results in a couple of problems: hyper-presentation, where the information is presented as quickly as po ...more
Kari Bjordahl
Haven't started this yet. Sadly I have to follow it now.
Stephanie
Dec 18, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forgot to add this to the "read" category. It was a great book for learning about going gluten-free. I will keep this one on hand I think!
Tami
Apr 15, 2008 Tami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not so very long ago, the vast majority of people had no idea what gluten was let alone how the mysterious substance affected the body. Those who were put on gluten-free diets for health reasons were pretty much left on their own as even most doctors and dieticians had no clue about which foods actually did or didn't contain gluten. Not only did this cause confusion but likely a lot of unnecessary suffering through the ingestion of gluten from foods that were thought safe, 100% gluten-free, and ...more
Jenn
Feb 12, 2008 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit I am a fan at the "For Dummies" books. I find that they are well written, easy to read and overall enjoyable while presenting factual information on the topic at hand.

As a new patient of Celiac Disease and therefore the "Gluten Free" life, I found this the best book thus far that I have read or skimmed. It has the nuts-n-bolts about Celiac, from the health problems to the how to fix.

The book offers many suggestions on ways to approach the new diet including menus, recipes, eating o
Kristine
I found this to be a good reference with OK recipes. For gluten free recipes the whole family will eat I like Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking more than this book . . . I kept it on the shelf for reference for the last month. I'm being tested tomorrow for Celiac and I imagine based on what the results of the test are whether I go out and buy a plethora of Celiac-themed books.
Gretchen Schmidt
This is the book that made me realize I had been living as a gluten-intolerant in a world of glutenous foods for 6 years. I'm so grateful for this book's helpful, humorous and honest writing, covering topics from the symptoms of a gluten intolerance to how to handle dinner parties with loads of foods you can't eat. I feel very prepared to take on this new lifestyle and confident that I can succeed.
Brooke
Mar 19, 2012 Brooke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a much appreciated resource for me when I became gluten-free. It gives great encouragement and advice--including recipes--on how to make the transition. It entertained and inspired me. I should be recommending this to more people--and buy it, so I can have it on hand to lend out. I think it'd also be a helpful read for people who would like to know more about the GF diet for a loved one, friend, etc. This book is especially suited for parents who have children who must eat GF.
Tara
May 19, 2014 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're in NEED of going gluten-free then this is the book to read. The author wrote this based on her son having celiac disease. If you are just considering gluten-free as a way to have a healthier diet and possibly help with some minor ailments, but don't feel the need to be strict then you might want to consider reading a different book. The information is all good and backed by research resources, but heavily skewed toward people with celiac disease.
Cecelia
Feb 22, 2013 Cecelia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first found out I had a sensitivity to Gluten, I had no idea where to start in order to change my lifestyle and begin healing. A friend of mine with Celiac disease recommended this book to me because she found it very helpful. It's full of easy to understand information about the latest tests and research about the negative health effects gluten has on our immune, neurological, and digestive systems. This book assisted me in implementing the changes I had to make on my journey to health.
Jody
May 31, 2016 Jody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Family members were gluten-free, but I needed some help to get started. This book was helpful.

It is written in the funny "dummy" style of quips, jokes and white space. Every question I thought of was answered in it. What is allowed -- what to watch out for -- eating out -- snacks -- all here. There was a recipe section as well.
Katie
A friend gave me this book a few days after I found out that gluten could no longer be a part of my diet. It was a helpful first step in learning about eating a gluten free diet. Since I've been diagnosed there seem to be a ton of cookbooks out there with more challenging and creative dishes but this is a great way to ease into the gluten free lingo and basic dishes.
Crystel
Jul 02, 2012 Crystel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. A perfect beginner book for someone interested in a gluten free diet. It talks a bit about the paleolithic diet (which is gluten free) as well. It is educational and entertaining. It is interesting, uplifting and encouraging. The way the book is written, you can read the whole book or just select sections that interest you most. I'd definitely recommend this book.
April
Apr 21, 2012 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 2012
Read cover to cover in a few hours. Some good information and a few moments of " yup, I've done that". Gave me a renewed outlook to following this lifestyle as it is possible, and the resources listed are helpful.
Catetyson
Jan 29, 2009 Catetyson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am finding this book very helpful while still learning to deal with my wheat allergy. I have other wheat free and gluten free books, but this one breaks it down into an easy to find/reference way.

It also simplifies those medical explanations! I need a little simplification.
Tanya Simon
Jun 04, 2015 Tanya Simon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you just found out you have celiac this is the book for you. She boils everything down to a simple explanation for a sometimes devastating diagnosis. She has a delightful sense of humor, which made the book go down easy. I feel prepared to start this new chapter of my life!
Grace Jensen
Dec 06, 2013 Grace Jensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
Very informative.

While a lot of the information is redundant, and some of it seemed like extreme advice, it's a wonderful resource and alarmingly accurate. I specifically got this because it is in the For Dummies series.
Aj
May 01, 2012 Aj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic
Great overview: not overwhelming or focusing on the scare factor of cross-contamination. Recommended by my doctor (who is also gluten and dairy free). Appreciate the tie-in between gluten and dairy sensitivities.
Rebecca
Jun 22, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Good book. Lots of useful information and recipes. Lots of ideas on living gluten-free without having to buy so many specialty items. I'm still trying to get my husband to read it, but I think it'll take a few more pushes for that to happen.
Tina Payne
This was the 1st purchase I made after being Diagnosed with Celiac Disease. It was the most important purchase I made in the year after my diagnoses. Now my life is split in two.... Before CD and After CD
Camille
I enjoyed this book, it's entertaining and upbeat. The author is earthy and no-nonsense and gives helpful informational advice and recipes for living gluten-free. This is a very good basic reference book for this lifestyle.
Lisa Hale
Jul 23, 2012 Lisa Hale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic guide and a must have when starting the Gluten Free lifestyle. The advice is homey and down to Earth. I know I will be referring to this book over and over and over as my family goes down the Gluten Free/Casein Free diet path.
Ella
Jun 25, 2013 Ella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very educational being new to a GF diet. Discovering that GF flour is not a 1 to 1 substitute for wheat flour will have undoubtedly saved me from baking mishaps in the future. Lists of grains I never knew existed.
Michele
This book was my go to resource when I began to eat a gluten free diet. A lot of the information was not relevant to my situation but the rest was easy to understand. I was constantly using it as a reference until I knew exactly what I could and couldn't eat.
Sofia Malinowski
Nov 19, 2009 Sofia Malinowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read if you are living on a gluten free diet, thinking about switching over or you know someone living on a gluten free diet.

This is the most informative book I have read about gluten free living, and it is filled with great recipes.
Stefanie
I would recommend this book to anyone that needs to be on the Gluten Free Lifestyle. It is very informative and has some recipes as well. I have read the book and bookmarked several pages.

Very useful book. Read the month of August 2013 and use it as a reference book. :-)
Kandi
Mar 19, 2012 Kandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learned lots of interesting facts about gluten. Recipes, replacement ideas and signs of a gluten intolerance and celtic disease.
Marliss
Nov 19, 2010 Marliss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Excellent, encouraging resource for those newly, and not so newly diagnosed with gluten intolerance or sensitivity.
ReadHowYouWant
Dec 28, 2009 ReadHowYouWant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are currently living on a gluten-free (g-free) diet or thinking about switching over, Living Gluten-Free for Dummies by Danna Korn is a must read.
  • The Gluten Connection: How Gluten Sensitivity May Be Sabotaging Your Health - And What You Can Do to Take Control Now
  • Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back & How You Can Too
  • Dangerous Grains
  • The Gluten-Free Bible: The Thoroughly Indispensable Guide to Negotiating Life without Wheat
  • The G-Free Diet: A Gluten-Free Survival Guide
  • Gluten-Free on a Shoestring: 125 Easy Recipes for Eating Well on the Cheap
  • The First Year: Celiac Disease and Living Gluten-Free: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed
  • Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic
  • Gardening For Dummies
  • Jump Start Your Gluten-Free Diet! Living with Celiac / Coeliac Disease & Gluten Intolerance
  • 1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes
  • Living Vegetarian for Dummies
  • Classical Music for Dummies
  • Medical Terminology for Dummies
  • Feng Shui For Dummies
  • Yoga For Dummies
  • Organizing for Dummies
  • Gardening Basics for Dummies

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 79 books)
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies