Start by marking “Goebbels” as Want to Read:
Goebbels

Goebbels

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Drawn on eyewitness accounts, letters and diaries, and archival material, this is the story of a complex man who was, of all the Nazis, the most zealous advocate of the extermination of the Jews. Index; photographs. Translated by Krishna Winston.
Published September 16th 1994 by Mariner Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Goebbels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goebbels

Lewis Weinstein
Useful for my purposes but not spectacular. The personal tidbits about Goebbels provide possible moments for scenes. I would have liked more on what Nazis, ordinary Germans and others thought about him. Maybe there's no record of those thoughts. The important historical events of which Goebbels was a part are better depicted elsewhere. ... LEW ... http://lewweinsteinauthorblog.com/
David Nichols
I never finished this cuz it had to go back to the library. It's packed with a lot of information, and having more than a cursory understanding of modern german history will certainly help. It's a little dry and not exactly a fun read, but i found it interesting.
Hadrian
Chilling story of one of Hitler's most infamous followers. He had a fairly interesting life, and I picked up a lot of details from the book (his reading tastes, personality, religious faith, what drove him to follow Hitler). A bit dry in style, but still good.
George O'Hagan
A man completely devoid of his own personality, who hung on to every word and gesture of Hitler til the very end when he poisined his 6 children before killing himself.
Ken
Rather dry and tedious. I slogged through all but the last few chapters.
Mike
Ok here's the thing, the author of this title has gone to extraordinary lengths in order to put this together. I can only imagine the amount of research that went into this book.
'Mephistophelean', yes indeed, I am sure if the devil himself met this man he may well be shocked.
Rating?
Well I do take into account a few things that were missing for me.
Hilter seemed to be imprisoned one minute and a few pages later he was back in circulation. I realize this is a work about Goebbles, but these little
Mike  Kelley

Despite the subject matter, the notion of obeying taboos seeming to be one of mankind's more annoying constraints on discovery, the subject of the story was presented in as objective a light as possible. Seeing the marketed rise of the Nazi's and the creative mind behind it is at once fascinating and terrifying.

Of particular note was the novel Michael that he wrote for his Phd in Letters. Struggling to find a publisher and making a go of a literary career, he ended up using his words not to inf
James
James added it
Oct 24, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Jaeim Park
Jaeim Park marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Adham-basha Osama
Adham-basha Osama marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Dean D
Dean D marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
David Kim
David Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
María Lucrecia
María Lucrecia marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Werwolf
Werwolf marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Creikord
Creikord marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Radostinski
Radostinski marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Apple
Apple added it
Aug 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rommel: The End of a Legend Hitlers Judenhass Goebbels: Eine Biographie (German Edition) Joseph Goebbels Tagebücher Band 5: 1943-1945 Hitler: Eine Politische Biographie