Start by marking “Meg and Mog” as Want to Read:
Meg and Mog

Meg and Mog (Meg and Mog)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,395 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Meg and Mog is the first in the long-standing series about a witch (Meg) and her cat (Mog). Meg is a cute well-meaning witch who lives with Mog and her owl. In Meg and Mog, we are introduced to a witch wardrobe and a witch's breakfast. Later Meg flies off to meet her witch friends for some spell-making at a Halloween Party. Unfortunately the spell does not go exactly to pl ...more
Published 1975 by Puffin Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Meg and Mog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meg and Mog

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
204th out of 1,862 books — 1,213 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Stand by Stephen KingThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Shining by Stephen King
Best Books of the Decade: 1970's
441st out of 950 books — 1,007 voters

More lists with this book...

Clouds
I've commented before on how hard it is to review picture books like this - I mean, by the time I've got into my flow here I'll have used more words than are contained within this entire book.

This is our second Meg and Mog book. We started with Meg on the Moon because I'm a sci-fi geek. Fin (my 18-month old son) loves that one very much, so we decided to get him the original for Christmas.

How hard is it to buy gifts for a toddler? We got him this book, some soap/crayons that you can draw with i
Karolina
Jan 29, 2012 Karolina rated it it was amazing
Meg and Mog is a picture book about Meg the witch and Mog her cat. They plan to go to a wild Halloween party with all the other witches. However, the spell they cast goes wrong and Meg turns all the witches into mice! The book is a brilliant combination of a magical story and beautiful pictures. It is a short read and the story would be ideal for circle time. It is perfect for sharing and reading alone. Children will love the vivid colours and they will be able to explore sounds and shapes. The ...more
Lucy Sands
Feb 11, 2016 Lucy Sands rated it really liked it
Wow I am so pleased I have rediscovered this series! I have just been completely transported back in time reading the first book, ‘Meg and Mog’, with my toddler. Illustration wise I feel picture books have come a long way, but on the flip side these simplistic, bold and brightly coloured images do exude a certain charm and are actually quite captivating! There is lots of opportunity for interaction with counting, time telling and animal recognition. It’s a fast pace story that covers a recognisa ...more
Zaz
Oct 27, 2015 Zaz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Entertaining and good for Halloween! The cat is cute and the adventure is easy to follow.
Nov 17, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
My favourite witch!
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I hope everyone recognises this book. I had forgotten all about this series until I saw it in Dymocks back in July and was immediately transported back in time to my childhood. I LOVED these books, they were big when I was in, what, prep? Grade 1?

Originally published in 1972, this is the first book and I decided it was a good place to start - I've since added Mog's Missing, Meg's Eggs and a three-in-one volume that includes Mog at the Zoo, Meg's Veg and Meg Up the Creek. They are bold and disti
Richard Greenwood
Nov 30, 2015 Richard Greenwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Onomatopoeia
RitaSkeeter
Oct 18, 2014 RitaSkeeter rated it it was amazing
My rating - 5 stars
Master 3's rating - 5 stars
Master 6's rating - 5 stars

I read this book myself as a little tacker, and now enjoy it with the little dudes. What I realise now, that I didn't pick up on as a child, is that this is not a children's book. This is a book about murder most foul, perpetrated by Meg and Mog against Jess, Bess, Tess and Cress. Don't believe me? Then why is it that when the spell is being cast that Meg keeps her beady little eyes open whilst the others all have theirs cl
Kasper
Aug 04, 2014 Kasper rated it it was amazing
Youngest halfling and I love these books. There is something so endearing in the simplistic imagination of the series. The vibrant illustrations are great too.
Justine Cook
Jun 09, 2014 Justine Cook rated it really liked it
Meg and mog were some of my favourite childhood reads. Through adult eyes, it's a bit wtf - but kids still love them.
Nina
Apr 23, 2014 Nina rated it it was amazing
One of the best children's book of all time. This is one of my favourite, memorable children's books I enjoyed reading as a child. Good use of simplistic illustrations and good use of words which sound alike 'Jess, Bess, Tess' etc. Great for encouraging children to develop language and literacy skills- rhyming words, punctuation and imagination.
Age appropriate- 3+
Siobhan
Feb 15, 2016 Siobhan rated it liked it
A wonderful read from my childhood, one I’d certainly suggest for other youngsters. Whilst it is not my all-time favourite childhood read I can still recall all the details of this one meaning it certainly left a lasting impression upon my young mind.

And isn’t that what we want with children’s books, for them to leave a positive lasting impression?
Valentin Eni
Jan 03, 2015 Valentin Eni rated it liked it
Îmi aduce aminte de Mica vrăjitoare a lui Otfried Preußler
Sharlene
Jan 19, 2014 Sharlene rated it it was amazing
"Meg and Mog" is one of my ultimate favourite books to read as child. The story revolves around Meg, a witch and her black tabby cat Mog, who embark on various adventures as well as finding themselves in funny circumstances, such as visiting the moon, going to school in addition to finding themselves hanging out with a bunch of dinosaurs!

In this particular story, Meg and Mog conjure up a spell to visit Meg's other witch friends, but things just don't go to plan...

The use of suspense and anticip
Georgia Harper
Oct 31, 2014 Georgia Harper rated it it was amazing
Have read this book so many times both as a child and the with my little brother and cousins. Recent reread mafe me remember how much I love these books despite being picture books.
Shima Uddin
Jun 09, 2013 Shima Uddin rated it liked it
Meg and Mog is a fantastic story to read and share with children. It stimulates interaction between teacher and child and encourages the child to remember a short catchy story by ear. The story also helps children to identify objects and encourages them to shout out their answers to various fun objects,i.e recognizing pictures with words. Therefore encouraging the child to start early reading by keeping them involved in the story.
By the end of the book children will be telling you most of the st
Anne-Marie
I still love Jan Pienkovski’s art and our house is packed with examples of his work from Meg and Mog to pop-up Haunted House; from 1001 First Words to The One Thousand Nights and One Night… But this is where is all began for me, with the story of Meg the witch, her cat Mog, Owl and the spells that never work out. There’s nothing not to love about the Meg and Mog books but the first one is my special favourite, it’s probably one of the first books I read independently. The fantastic easy to read ...more
Louisa Black
Oct 13, 2014 Louisa Black rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
How awesome is this! I almost forgot Meg and Mog, wow happy days x A must read for the little ones x
Angela
Feb 01, 2014 Angela rated it liked it
Read this the other day to a two-year old. He loved it but I thought it was far too basic, even for that age, and I didn't particularly like the artwork.
Ste Bristolco
Sep 23, 2015 Ste Bristolco rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ks1
Brilliant story, very funny and odd. Bright illustrations which kids love.
Sama Khan
I think it will be a good book
Mfoot
Very good.
Fran
Jul 05, 2012 Fran rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, own
I just love these books. After finding Mog in the Fog the other day, I got my old Meg & Mog books off the shelf at my parents house (while making a quick overnight visit) to re-read them. They're all so familiar. Just fantastic; simple and clever. I love Jan Pieńkowski's illustrations.
Kettlestitch Press
May 26, 2014 Kettlestitch Press rated it it was amazing
Silhouette mayhem from the master.
Becca
Jan 18, 2014 Becca rated it it was amazing
MEG AND MOG! I was just browsing and spotted this. I read it years ago, a real classic childrens story. I loved that book!
Linda
I'd forgotten just how much ground this book covers - ups, downs, items of clothing, types of food, times of day, consequences etc etc .... Phew. But it hangs together in a terrifically entertaining way, without feeling like you're dashing from one didactic page to the next. Highly recommend for 2-5yo.
Apr 03, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
I must have read this book so much when I was little, I just loved it. I think it was the "Meg and Mog" that intrigued me, it is just so nice to say. Plus Mog was just the cutest but strangest cat that I had seen at the time. It was perfect for me when I was little and hopefully to others aswell.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Nov 25, 2008 Jack Kirby and the X-man rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jack Kirby and the X-man by: Babyshower
Kate
Jan 24, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1001children
This is the story about a witch named Meg and her cat named Mog. Good little story for young children. Very bright colors. I liked the way the illustrator/author used unconventional placement of words to make the illustrations more interesting.
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • The Baby's Catalogue
  • Maisy Goes to Preschool: A Maisy First Experiences Book
  • Miffy
  • Tickle, Tickle
  • The Three Railway Engines (The Railway Series, #1)
  • Dogger
  • Handa's Surprise: Read and Share
  • Not Now, Bernard
  • My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes
  • Peace At Last
  • Hairy Maclary's Showbusiness
  • Father Christmas
Helen Nicoll was born in Natland, Westmorland, in 1937. She was educated at schools in Bristol; Dartington Hall, Devon; and Froebel Education Institute, London. Helen Nicoll married Robert Kime in 1970 and they have one daughter and one son.

Helen Nicoll was a television producer with the BBC for many years. It was here, as Producer of the children's educational series WATCH, that she first met Jan
More about Helen Nicoll...

Meg and Mog (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Meg's Eggs