Meg and Mog

Meg and Mog (Meg and Mog)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  3,500 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Meg and Mog is the first in the long-standing series about a witch (Meg) and her cat (Mog). Meg is a cute well-meaning witch who lives with Mog and her owl. In Meg and Mog, we are introduced to a witch wardrobe and a witch's breakfast. Later Meg flies off to meet her witch friends for some spell-making at a Halloween Party. Unfortunately the spell does not go exactly to pl...more
Published 1975 by Puffin Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Meg and Mog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meg and Mog

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
268th out of 1,179 books — 924 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Stand by Stephen KingInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceThe Shining by Stephen King
Best Books of the Decade: 1970's
449th out of 805 books — 742 voters

More lists with this book...

Clouds
I've commented before on how hard it is to review picture books like this - I mean, by the time I've got into my flow here I'll have used more words than are contained within this entire book.

This is our second Meg and Mog book. We started with Meg on the Moon because I'm a sci-fi geek. Fin (my 18-month old son) loves that one very much, so we decided to get him the original for Christmas.

How hard is it to buy gifts for a toddler? We got him this book, some soap/crayons that you can draw with i...more
Karolina
Meg and Mog is a picture book about Meg the witch and Mog her cat. They plan to go to a wild Halloween party with all the other witches. However, the spell they cast goes wrong and Meg turns all the witches into mice! The book is a brilliant combination of a magical story and beautiful pictures. It is a short read and the story would be ideal for circle time. It is perfect for sharing and reading alone. Children will love the vivid colours and they will be able to explore sounds and shapes. The...more
Nina
One of the best children's book of all time. This is one of my favourite, memorable children's books I enjoyed reading as a child. Good use of simplistic illustrations and good use of words which sound alike 'Jess, Bess, Tess' etc. Great for encouraging children to develop language and literacy skills- rhyming words, punctuation and imagination.
Age appropriate- 3+
Sharlene
"Meg and Mog" is one of my ultimate favourite books to read as child. The story revolves around Meg, a witch and her black tabby cat Mog, who embark on various adventures as well as finding themselves in funny circumstances, such as visiting the moon, going to school in addition to finding themselves hanging out with a bunch of dinosaurs!

In this particular story, Meg and Mog conjure up a spell to visit Meg's other witch friends, but things just don't go to plan...

The use of suspense and anticip...more
Kasper
Youngest halfling and I love these books. There is something so endearing in the simplistic imagination of the series. The vibrant illustrations are great too.
Shima Uddin
Meg and Mog is a fantastic story to read and share with children. It stimulates interaction between teacher and child and encourages the child to remember a short catchy story by ear. The story also helps children to identify objects and encourages them to shout out their answers to various fun objects,i.e recognizing pictures with words. Therefore encouraging the child to start early reading by keeping them involved in the story.
By the end of the book children will be telling you most of the st...more
Anne-Marie
I still love Jan Pienkovski’s art and our house is packed with examples of his work from Meg and Mog to pop-up Haunted House; from 1001 First Words to The One Thousand Nights and One Night… But this is where is all began for me, with the story of Meg the witch, her cat Mog, Owl and the spells that never work out. There’s nothing not to love about the Meg and Mog books but the first one is my special favourite, it’s probably one of the first books I read independently. The fantastic easy to read...more
Justine Cook
Meg and mog were some of my favourite childhood reads. Through adult eyes, it's a bit wtf - but kids still love them.
Angela
Read this the other day to a two-year old. He loved it but I thought it was far too basic, even for that age, and I didn't particularly like the artwork.
Sama Khan
I think it will be a good book
Fran
I just love these books. After finding Mog in the Fog the other day, I got my old Meg & Mog books off the shelf at my parents house (while making a quick overnight visit) to re-read them. They're all so familiar. Just fantastic; simple and clever. I love Jan Pieńkowski's illustrations.
Kettlestitch Press
Silhouette mayhem from the master.
Stella
I used to love this book when I was really little. Brilliant. Didn't it become and children's programme? I'm sure I remember watching it years ago.
Becca
MEG AND MOG! I was just browsing and spotted this. I read it years ago, a real classic childrens story. I loved that book!
Linda
I'd forgotten just how much ground this book covers - ups, downs, items of clothing, types of food, times of day, consequences etc etc .... Phew. But it hangs together in a terrifically entertaining way, without feeling like you're dashing from one didactic page to the next. Highly recommend for 2-5yo.
I must have read this book so much when I was little, I just loved it. I think it was the "Meg and Mog" that intrigued me, it is just so nice to say. Plus Mog was just the cutest but strangest cat that I had seen at the time. It was perfect for me when I was little and hopefully to others aswell.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Nov 25, 2008 Jack Kirby and the X-man rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jack Kirby and the X-man by: Babyshower
Laura Morrigan
It's a little simple for me now, of course, but when I was little I loved these books. I am also glad for the positive portrayal of witches in this book. The brightly coloured simple illustrations also have a wonderful charm to them.
Librariasaurus
Meg and Mog were my absolute favourite series as a kid, I think it was really where my love of the supernatural stems from, these books are creatively illustrated and still sought after, which pleases me to no end.
Karrina
I remember reading the meg mog and owl series growing up and loving them. Now 20 years later, my little boy is crazy about them too! It helps that the illustrations are just so utterly amazing too! Timeless classic! <3
Emkoshka
A cute read even it does have a rather sudden and inexplicable ending. Perpetuates the stereotype of witches in black britches with a cat and a broom.
Freya
As a child I LOVED cats, and I'm probably quite sure I thought I was a witch (who doesn't?!). Needless to say I really liked these Meg and Mog books.
Gayle
I love this book. Love the illustrations especially. Cannot find my copy that I have had since I was a child, but remember it's every page.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Wonderful, vibrant illustrations that would have lots of preschool appeal. Sadly the story didn't quite do it for me.
Rob Manwaring
Have read this about, oooh, 1,000 times in the past few months. Just keeps getting better and better.
Tanya
Read it in Spanish as it was all the library had.womderfully bold
Illustrations and fun lift the flaps.
Elke
This is a great story with fantastic illustrations! Great for Halloween.
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • Peace At Last
  • Miffy
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • The Tiger Who Came to Tea
  • Funnybones (Picture Puffin)
  • Tickle, Tickle
  • Father Christmas
  • Not Now, Bernard Mini Treasure
  • Maisy Goes to Preschool: A Maisy First Experiences Book
  • Avocado Baby
  • Old Bear
Helen Nicoll was born in Natland, Westmorland, in 1937. She was educated at schools in Bristol; Dartington Hall, Devon; and Froebel Education Institute, London. Helen Nicoll married Robert Kime in 1970 and they have one daughter and one son.

Helen Nicoll was a television producer with the BBC for many years. It was here, as Producer of the children's educational series WATCH, that she first met Jan...more
More about Helen Nicoll...
Meg On The Moon Meg's Eggs Meg At Sea Meg's Castle Meg's Car