Start by marking “Aftermath” as Want to Read:
Aftermath

Aftermath

The United States of 2019 is a very different place. Economic depression, an enormous earthquake, and the assassination of a black President-elect have turned the country into a war zone. Four people, each as different and troubled as the next, are the nation's last hope. But can they overcome the devastation and build a new world?

A novel on an America torn by race wars wh
Published January 1st 1997 by Aspect

To ask other readers questions about Aftermath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aftermath

El
I'm pretty sure the reason I am the voracious reader that I am today can easily be traced back to LeVar Burton and Reading Rainbow , which he hosted. Thank you, PBS, for years of my childhood being devoted to that show. And, okay, thank you Parental Units for letting us watch it and encouraging us to be readers.

Then later, after having outgrown Reading Rainbow, there were the years of Star Trek: Next Generation where Burton played Geordi LaForge, the blind guy with the banana clip over his eyes
Mary JL
Apr 03, 2011 Mary JL rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No One
Recommended to Mary JL by: Found at a booksale.
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
There are some good ideas here and some well written scenes. However, those scenes are few and far between--not enough to create a good book.

There are some serious plot holes. Some are big enough to fly a starship trhough. When Dr. Richards goes to her lab alone, AT NIght, in a devasted city, you find it hard to beleive she is a genius. The private secirity guardshe hires to drive her through the dangerous city--why not pay him to accompany her as well? And with theft and violence a way of life
nimrodiel
Levar Burton's books have been the source of much book angst over the years every time we see them in the bookstore. I've picked this off the shelves and put it back so many times rather than be disappointed like some of the other sci-fi books written by Star Trek stars *coughWilliamShattnercough*

I'm glad that I finally got a chance to read this one. It is very reminiscent to the directions that our world has been leaning. The recent economic crisis, on top of the vote next week to see if the co
Soho_Black
t's not a rare thing for famous people from other professions to try their hand at writing; autobiographies abound from even the youngest of celebrities these days, it seems. What is slightly rarer is for them to produce works of fiction; Pamela Anderson and Katie Price have both tried this recently, although it is suspected that their works of "fiction" were based on their own lives. Madonna turned her hand to children's books, with some success.

Many years before this, however, LeVar Burton tur
Janall
Dec 17, 2016 Janall rated it liked it
I read this book when it first came out in 1997 and when President Obama was elected 10 years later I held my breath and prayed that nothing bad would happen to him because I could see the set ip of the book playing out in real life.
While the premise was plausible, the rest of the book was a bit muddled, but still an enjoyable read.
Aiyana
Oh, how I wish I could say that I adored this book without qualifications. I have been a fan of LeVar Burton since first grade, when my geeky young self knew him as Geordi LaForge even before I saw him reading picture books on PBS.

There are good things about this novel. In some ways, the introductory chapter is uncannily prescient. Published in the late 1990's, the book fortells increasing economic despairity and financial instability in the United States, devastating natural disasters, and the
Okay, it's not really on Reading Rainbow, but LeVar Burton IS reading Rainbow, so there you go.

Initially, I grabbed the book because I didn't know Mr. Burton wrote a sci-fi novel at all, and I bought it because it was a stand-alone and I didn't have to track down the rest of the series. I was pretty much going to get it regardless of reviews or content, but when I read the inside cover blurb, I was more than kind of interested. (Mind you, I'm picking this up in April of 2015.) "2012: The first b
John
Mar 16, 2010 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Burton's book is a more ambitious effort than you would generally expect from an actor-turned-writer...but in this case, that's not really a plus. After a promising first few chapters, Aftermath devolves into typical post-apocalyptic schlock--which could be fun, except that it takes itself way too seriously. It's a novel with a message, but the message is something most of us are completely on-board with already: racial harmony is good. Not a surprising theme for Burton, though, seeing as how he ...more
Dale
Oct 22, 2012 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
LeVar Burton creates the framework for an epic yet...

Read by LeVar Burton
Approximately 3 hours

...he fails to follow through.

Have you ever read a book in which the author takes a premise that would, at most, fill about 150 pages and yet he or she stretches it out to 400 pages? This is not one of those books.

Aftermath has the opposite problem - an awful future is described and peopled. The cure for cancer and brain disorders is discovered, stolen and recovered with lots of gunfights, chases, p
Lisa
Jul 24, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I found this book during my last trip to the library and picked it up. (I vaguely remember this book when it first came out, but I don't know if I read it at the time.) The book is well structured and written, and it is built on a solid idea. The story isn't terribly complex, and Burton does a good job of not getting bogged down in the minutia of the characters' journeys to Chicago. In a different book the level of detail would be out of balance, but here it works well.

What's missing here for m
Nathan Burgoine
Basically, a scientist has found a way to direct the neural energies of the brain, thorugh a device, to make the body learn to heal itself. A small side effect in a few rare cases is psychic ability, and very rarely telepathy, but she keeps that to herself. This is in the future, and set on a terribly ravaged earth where racial lines were drawn and crossed and basically the US of A went belly-up and people are poor, homeless and terrible in most places. The ozone depletion has caused a significa ...more
Corvus
I decided to read Aftermath after reading an excerpt in the scifi collection "Octavia's Brood" not knowing what to expect from this Star Trek actor and Reading Rainbow host. This book is not the best writing and is full of cliches and plot holes. But, at the same time it brings a diverse set of likeable characters, an atypical post apocalypse story, lots of good ideas, and lots of nods to radical movements and struggles faced by more than the usual white male protagonists in sci fi. I couldn't d ...more
Ashley Nichols
Oct 12, 2014 Ashley Nichols rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, reread
I consider this book a must-read, classsic. Since the Goodreads review brought it up there are some continuity errors with this book. How did Amy know of werewolves? Burton says at the beginning that she's an avid reader. One of the important lessons in this book is that classic Bill Hicks' line, "It's just a ride." The book is action packed. It deals with issues of race, economy, environmentalism, and spirituality. I reread this every now and then to keep myself in line with the world around me ...more
Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali
I'd give this 3.5 stars of I could.
I read this years ago shortly after it was published. I remember being impressed, though I should not have been, after all Burton is a really bright man, with his ability to craft a compelling tale. it was a smart and relevant book then although I'm not sure if it still holds up.
my kids watched reading rainbow and my son was even third place in the reading rainbow young writers and illustrators contest. I like the man, and I like his brains even more. and of c
Scott MacMartin
Sep 22, 2013 Scott MacMartin rated it liked it
A prescription story about the end of civilization in the USA, followed by a small crowd of players who had the tools to re-create society in a warmer nicer way.

Sweet in some areas, darkly dirty in other areas. Action and suspense. I found it surprising that at some points I had tears in my eyes.

A little too much emphasis on race/colour. I suppose that comes from being a black writer and actor in the southern USA. Also strange that the two principal villains seemed to be “rich”, which is an int
Angela
Apr 16, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, alt-history
Abby
May 07, 2009 Abby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Abby by: sci fi channel website
First off, LeVar Burton is one of my personal heros. I was shocked that I didn't know that this book existed until recently. That beign said... WOW! Quite a vision of the future. Hopeless and hopeful at the same time. The narrative of 4 people struggling to keep a new invention out of the hands of a bad scientist sounds corny but is so well done. There are spiritual elements as well as science. Highly reccomended.
Thomas
Aug 30, 2013 Thomas rated it really liked it
Very good book. Picked it up after seeing Levar Burton at the Boston Star Trek Convention in June 2013. He autographed a copy for someone in the audience. While it may not be a blockbuster, it was a very good read and I recommend it to anyone that enjoys a good story. Can't believe it was released in 1997 and I just found out about it a few months ago.
Mahasin
Mar 16, 2015 Mahasin rated it really liked it
The influence by the Science Friction greats is clear in this book but I loved it none the same. Burton crafts a chilling tale with characters of all colors that you can identify with and begin to fare about. The ending feels a bit rushed, but honestly, I feel as though he could have easily turned this into a significantly longer book or a series of books.
Julie
Jun 15, 2011 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans
Shelves: science-fiction, 2011
I was excited to pick this up and I think LeVar Burton did a decent job of crafting his story. That said, it's pretty standard fair for sci-fi/post-apocalyptic fiction and was a bit heavy-handed at times. He's got a lot to say on race in this book but he also offers hope, apparently, in the equalizing nature of poverty/destitution. Yikes.
Dy
May 04, 2013 Dy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2013
I really, really wanted to like this book. I'm a fan of Mr. Burton's acting and love Reading Rainbow. Unfortunately, as is the case with far too many celebrity authors' work, this book needed harsher editing. The basic concept is not too improbable, and the message is a good one. The heavy-handed delivery and excess of adjectives overwhelmed both plot (thin) and message though.
David Williams
Oct 18, 2016 David Williams rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book, but what else would you expect for a man who runs a show about reading? I only have one real complaint: it seemed a bit truncated. With the cast of characters, there could have been a bit more to allow the story to tumble over every one of them. But, as is was, it was enjoyable.
Ann Love
Mar 28, 2012 Ann Love rated it liked it
I thought this book was fairly solid. I would've liked some more detail in some of the passages; more background on some of the more peripheral characters and a little more depth in some of the action sequences would have been nice. The basic foundation was good and not all that far-fetched given today's political and environmental climate.
Enoch Page
Jan 04, 2009 Enoch Page rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone willing to explore other hypotheses.
Recommended to Enoch by: Tower Books, Sacramento
Written nearly a decade before Barack Obama became president of the United States, this imaginative novel features a black female heroine who fights for her life as she grapples with how American race relations changed for the worse soon after a black president was elected.
Allanna
Jan 11, 2009 Allanna rated it liked it
Good cast of characters ... and, hello! It's by LeVar from READING RAINBOW! (Yes, I'm biased. I LOVE that show! And LeVar is AWESOME!)

It didn't get great reviews. But I liked it. Good premise and plot.
Twyla
May 23, 2010 Twyla rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
I think I might have gotten this book confused with another; one where the main characters hole up in a house for something. I must have read two books at the same time back when I read it the first time. Its fairly gruesome and dark with not much hope in it.
Cheryl Taylor garant
I WANTED to love this book! I love LeVar Burton, Reading Rainbow, Star Trek TNG, Geordie Laforge..........
but I really didn't like the book. Some of the ideas were amazing and the writing was great (that was the biggest surprise!)
I just found giant plot holes and it was really draggy!
K
Jul 13, 2016 K rated it liked it
This was one of the most confusing books that I have ever read. It had an overall good back story but most of the time I was lost. I enjoyed it but this is definitely an out there book. It could make an interesting show or tv movie.
Heather
Sep 22, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
This book was very interesting given the state of our country and the recent election... very thought-provoking yet entertaining. Mr. Burton is a brilliant writer and I would not hesitate to read more of his works.
Patti
Sep 24, 2015 Patti rated it liked it
Nothing horrible, nothing special. Seemed a little too pat at how various factions came together. I think there was a big chunk cut out in the editing process.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Snow
  • Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1)
  • Flight of the Dragonfly
  • After Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #2)
  • Fitzpatrick's War
  • O-Zone
  • Magic Time (Magic Time #1)
  • Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)
  • One
  • The Trikon Deception
  • An Alien Light
  • The Changes: A Trilogy
  • Nature's End
  • Andy Warhol's Dracula (Anno Dracula, #3.5)
  • Moonfall
  • Greener Than You Think (Classics of Modern Science Fiction 10)
  • Little Heroes
  • Snowfall (Snowfall, #1)
LeVar Burton is an actor, director, and educator who has been an icon for more than 35 years. He was the host and producer of the influential television program Reading Rainbow for more than three decades, and starred in the TV miniseries Roots and on Star Trek: The Next Generation. He lives in Burbank, California.
More about LeVar Burton...