Start by marking “Aftermath” as Want to Read:
Aftermath

Aftermath

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  30 reviews
It's not often that I find myself delighted to encounter first novels' flaws, but that was exactly the case with Aftermath. On the one hand, it is quite simply a terrific book -- a solid story with an engaging cast of characters, and a voice that is all-too-unique in our genre. On the other hand, it does have few (only a few) first-book flaws -- but to my eye, those only s ...more
Published January 1st 1997 by Aspect

To ask other readers questions about Aftermath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aftermath

El
I'm pretty sure the reason I am the voracious reader that I am today can easily be traced back to LeVar Burton and Reading Rainbow , which he hosted. Thank you, PBS, for years of my childhood being devoted to that show. And, okay, thank you Parental Units for letting us watch it and encouraging us to be readers.

Then later, after having outgrown Reading Rainbow, there were the years of Star Trek: Next Generation where Burton played Geordi LaForge, the blind guy with the banana clip over his eyes
Mary JL
May 04, 2011 Mary JL rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No One
Recommended to Mary JL by: Found at a booksale.
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
There are some good ideas here and some well written scenes. However, those scenes are few and far between--not enough to create a good book.

There are some serious plot holes. Some are big enough to fly a starship trhough. When Dr. Richards goes to her lab alone, AT NIght, in a devasted city, you find it hard to beleive she is a genius. The private secirity guardshe hires to drive her through the dangerous city--why not pay him to accompany her as well? And with theft and violence a way of life
nimrodiel
Levar Burton's books have been the source of much book angst over the years every time we see them in the bookstore. I've picked this off the shelves and put it back so many times rather than be disappointed like some of the other sci-fi books written by Star Trek stars *coughWilliamShattnercough*

I'm glad that I finally got a chance to read this one. It is very reminiscent to the directions that our world has been leaning. The recent economic crisis, on top of the vote next week to see if the co
Aiyana
Oh, how I wish I could say that I adored this book without qualifications. I have been a fan of LeVar Burton since first grade, when my geeky young self knew him as Geordi LaForge even before I saw him reading picture books on PBS.

There are good things about this novel. In some ways, the introductory chapter is uncannily prescient. Published in the late 1990's, the book fortells increasing economic despairity and financial instability in the United States, devastating natural disasters, and the
John
Burton's book is a more ambitious effort than you would generally expect from an actor-turned-writer...but in this case, that's not really a plus. After a promising first few chapters, Aftermath devolves into typical post-apocalyptic schlock--which could be fun, except that it takes itself way too seriously. It's a novel with a message, but the message is something most of us are completely on-board with already: racial harmony is good. Not a surprising theme for Burton, though, seeing as how he ...more
Dale
LeVar Burton creates the framework for an epic yet...

Read by LeVar Burton
Approximately 3 hours

...he fails to follow through.

Have you ever read a book in which the author takes a premise that would, at most, fill about 150 pages and yet he or she stretches it out to 400 pages? This is not one of those books.

Aftermath has the opposite problem - an awful future is described and peopled. The cure for cancer and brain disorders is discovered, stolen and recovered with lots of gunfights, chases, ps
Lisa
Jul 28, 2011 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I found this book during my last trip to the library and picked it up. (I vaguely remember this book when it first came out, but I don't know if I read it at the time.) The book is well structured and written, and it is built on a solid idea. The story isn't terribly complex, and Burton does a good job of not getting bogged down in the minutia of the characters' journeys to Chicago. In a different book the level of detail would be out of balance, but here it works well.

What's missing here for m
Ashley Nichols
I consider this book a must-read, classsic. Since the Goodreads review brought it up there are some continuity errors with this book. How did Amy know of werewolves? Burton says at the beginning that she's an avid reader. One of the important lessons in this book is that classic Bill Hicks' line, "It's just a ride." The book is action packed. It deals with issues of race, economy, environmentalism, and spirituality. I reread this every now and then to keep myself in line with the world around me ...more
Cheryl Taylor garant
I WANTED to love this book! I love LeVar Burton, Reading Rainbow, Star Trek TNG, Geordie Laforge..........
but I really didn't like the book. Some of the ideas were amazing and the writing was great (that was the biggest surprise!)
I just found giant plot holes and it was really draggy!
Nathan Burgoine
Basically, a scientist has found a way to direct the neural energies of the brain, thorugh a device, to make the body learn to heal itself. A small side effect in a few rare cases is psychic ability, and very rarely telepathy, but she keeps that to herself. This is in the future, and set on a terribly ravaged earth where racial lines were drawn and crossed and basically the US of A went belly-up and people are poor, homeless and terrible in most places. The ozone depletion has caused a significa ...more
Scott MacMartin
A prescription story about the end of civilization in the USA, followed by a small crowd of players who had the tools to re-create society in a warmer nicer way.

Sweet in some areas, darkly dirty in other areas. Action and suspense. I found it surprising that at some points I had tears in my eyes.

A little too much emphasis on race/colour. I suppose that comes from being a black writer and actor in the southern USA. Also strange that the two principal villains seemed to be “rich”, which is an int
Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali
I'd give this 3.5 stars of I could.
I read this years ago shortly after it was published. I remember being impressed, though I should not have been, after all Burton is a really bright man, with his ability to craft a compelling tale. it was a smart and relevant book then although I'm not sure if it still holds up.
my kids watched reading rainbow and my son was even third place in the reading rainbow young writers and illustrators contest. I like the man, and I like his brains even more. and of c
Annette Blackal
I could not finish this book. It started off very good then it started to circle and circle. I was disinterested page 120.
Angela
Abby
May 25, 2009 Abby rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Abby by: sci fi channel website
First off, LeVar Burton is one of my personal heros. I was shocked that I didn't know that this book existed until recently. That beign said... WOW! Quite a vision of the future. Hopeless and hopeful at the same time. The narrative of 4 people struggling to keep a new invention out of the hands of a bad scientist sounds corny but is so well done. There are spiritual elements as well as science. Highly reccomended.
Dynila
I really, really wanted to like this book. I'm a fan of Mr. Burton's acting and love Reading Rainbow. Unfortunately, as is the case with far too many celebrity authors' work, this book needed harsher editing. The basic concept is not too improbable, and the message is a good one. The heavy-handed delivery and excess of adjectives overwhelmed both plot (thin) and message though.
Thomas
Very good book. Picked it up after seeing Levar Burton at the Boston Star Trek Convention in June 2013. He autographed a copy for someone in the audience. While it may not be a blockbuster, it was a very good read and I recommend it to anyone that enjoys a good story. Can't believe it was released in 1997 and I just found out about it a few months ago.
Ann Love
I thought this book was fairly solid. I would've liked some more detail in some of the passages; more background on some of the more peripheral characters and a little more depth in some of the action sequences would have been nice. The basic foundation was good and not all that far-fetched given today's political and environmental climate.
Julie
Jun 18, 2011 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans
Shelves: 2011, science-fiction
I was excited to pick this up and I think LeVar Burton did a decent job of crafting his story. That said, it's pretty standard fair for sci-fi/post-apocalyptic fiction and was a bit heavy-handed at times. He's got a lot to say on race in this book but he also offers hope, apparently, in the equalizing nature of poverty/destitution. Yikes.
Enoch Page
Oct 16, 2009 Enoch Page rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone willing to explore other hypotheses.
Recommended to Enoch by: Tower Books, Sacramento
Written nearly a decade before Barack Obama became president of the United States, this imaginative novel features a black female heroine who fights for her life as she grapples with how American race relations changed for the worse soon after a black president was elected.
Twyla
I think I might have gotten this book confused with another; one where the main characters hole up in a house for something. I must have read two books at the same time back when I read it the first time. Its fairly gruesome and dark with not much hope in it.
Heather
This book was very interesting given the state of our country and the recent election... very thought-provoking yet entertaining. Mr. Burton is a brilliant writer and I would not hesitate to read more of his works.
Allanna
Good cast of characters ... and, hello! It's by LeVar from READING RAINBOW! (Yes, I'm biased. I LOVE that show! And LeVar is AWESOME!)

It didn't get great reviews. But I liked it. Good premise and plot.
Beth
Jun 26, 2010 Beth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
whew, corny ending. Not a bad message, though, and a decent read for a summer weekend. I admit I would probably not be so generous if the author wasn't LeVar Burton.
Racheal
The next installment in the Terrible Books Written by Star Trek Actors Book Club
Eric Kasten
I think it was a great first book. I actually got his autograph when it came out.
Kimberly
Not a bad book but it is not a great book either. Not by any means.
Emilyf11
May 29, 2011 Emilyf11 added it
Shelves: star-trek
surprisingly good - couldn't wait to see how it ended
Ferret
Not terrible for a postapocalyptic road novel.
Emily
...and don't forget Reading Rainbow!

• Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)
  • O-Zone
  • Flight of the Dragonfly
  • The Snow
  • Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1)
  • The Big Game
  • Dragon's Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #38)
  • When Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #1)
  • Magic Time (Magic Time #1)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • The Badlands, #1 of 2 (Star Trek)
  • Nature's End
  • Fitzpatrick's War
  • Savages (Nameless Detective, #31)
  • Moonrise (Moonbase Saga, #1)
  • An Alien Light
  • The Soldiers of Fear (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #41; Invasion, #2)
  • Bloodletter
The Rhino Who Swallowed a Storm The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963 METAtropolis: Cascadia Nelson Mandela's Favorite African Folktales The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr.