Start by marking “Modern Vintage Style” as Want to Read:
Modern Vintage Style

Modern Vintage Style

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  24 reviews
In Modern Vintage Style, Emily Chalmers - interiors stylist and owner of hip boutique Caravan - shows how using vintage items in a contemporary context can introduce humour, flair and personality to a home. Decorating should be fun and inspiring, so there are no style diktats; no 'this-must-go-with-that'. Modern vintage is all about trusting your instincts and taste and us ...more
Published April 14th 2011 by Ryland Peters & Small (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Modern Vintage Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Vintage Style

Young House Love by Sherry PetersikThe Perfectly Imperfect Home by Deborah NeedlemanDomino by Deborah NeedlemanDecorate by Holly BeckerApartment Therapy by Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan
Decoration
13th out of 51 books — 18 voters
Gone Girl by Gillian FlynnThe Rosie Project by Graeme SimsionWhere'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria SempleThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanThe Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
2013: What Women Born in the 1980s Read in 2013
192nd out of 475 books — 61 voters

More lists with this book...

Alexandra
Pretentious twaddle that I've seen before - nothing new here. It tells you how to decorate your home in the "modern vintage" style, and while some of the homes are lovely, some of it seems to have been done for fashion's sake. Also, the author constantly uses "cherry-pick" - expand your vocabulary, please! Select? Pick? Choose? She also used "intricate" to describe a vase that wasn't intricate at all.
All in all, nothing that can't already be found on good design blogs. I got this from the libra
Ellen
When I saw this book I thought, "Okay, let's get this party started!" But after reading it I'm erring more on the side of, "Umm, I guess we could hang out but I have to be up early." Many of the interiors are over-styled and overwrought and the text is rather self evident. The photography is lovely and the concept is spot on though.
sara frances
this book definitely has some awesome ideas, but i felt that many of the rooms in here looked like they were trying way too hard to be "cool" and "trendy" making them look more tacky and silly than anything else. i guess "modern vintage" just isn't my taste.
Chloe
I'm glad I checked this out from the library to see if it was worth buying first. The pictures are pretty, some of the rooms are cool, a lot of the pieces I sorely wish I could just run across at estate sales or buried away in charity shops or surplus ads, but never do (mainly because now that this is a style they get marked up to full out interior design furniture prices.) but, yet, I was bored. I remember reading a section that gave me the impression that the approach the book would take was h ...more
Sophie
Is there a decorating book called "Actual People's Homes"? Maybe "Realistic Decorating"? I realize that many decorating books are meant to be used mainly as inspiration, but I'm sick of looking at perfect interiors that I'll never be able to afford or achieve. I'd like a book of the homes of people who aren't artists or designers, people who have no idea how to go about re-upholstering furniture and frankly don't have the time, people who can pretty much only afford Target and Ikea when they can ...more
dukes05
By "read," I meant "flipped through numerous times." This book offered a lot of ideas and many of the rooms featured were beautiful and felt authentic. In any home decor book, there are those rooms that scream "a professional interior designer placed this cup here to make it feel casual and 'real.'" This book did a fair job of weeding those out. I also really appreciated the high-low pricing of the furniture and accessories shown. Aside from the mid-century antiques (ka-ching!) and random thrift ...more
Rebecca
By "read," I mean "flipped through and looked at the pretty pictures." I don't think vintage is a style I'd pursue unless it occurs naturally. The line between "vintage" and "junky" is a very fine one if you are lazy like me. I do like all the uses of "bunting" or little strings of pennants/flags (I know these are all over the crafty blogosphere, but I do like their easy addition of color and a festive atmosphere!).

The best decorating books have the best lighting, the best photography, and the b
Trish
The title says it all.
Denele
There were a few ideas I was inspired by, but overall this was not quite my style. Some of the rooms were very appealing, but then I would turn the page and the next room would be too busy and cluttered. The author also needs to work on finding another word to use than "cherry picked" - that got irritating very quickly.
Relyn
Sep 18, 2011 Relyn rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on a random blog, I think
The problem I have with this look is that it is cluttered and there is no cohesion. While I don't want to live in a set piece, I do want my home to flow and to be a HOME. Not a store or a flea market booth. The look in this book is more about showing off your scavenging and vintage-hunting skills than about creating a home.
Stef
Attractive photography. It's hard to love books like this, though, considering the same imagery and concepts can be conveyed via a Pinterest board, and that so many of the ideas are too unique to be replicated exactly; finds are based on luck. Such is the issue with all interior design books, however.
Carolin
Some nice ideas but some of the rooms are "trying too hard", I think. A style like this needs to develop with your own stuff and kitsch (and probably will, unless you are REALLY tidy) but I'm not sure how useful this book is as an interior design guide. Great for snooping though!
Carolien
I love her style and found some great ideas. Cute computer cover and door curtain. I also love the stack of book with a drawer on top. Lots of photos. She's British, so her vintage items are different (much cooler) than American vintage.
Brooke
I am not neat or good enough at cleaning to pull off the full vintage style that is discussed in this book! However, I do love flicking through this book for small-scale inspiration for things like artworks or tabletop displays.
Rachel
The pictures are pretty, which is what I got this for. The text, insofar as I read it, was fine, but I was inexplicably and unreasonably annoyed by the overuse of the verb "source" (as in "source vintage items at flea markets").
Tisha
This book was ok, nothing too great. I did like a couple of the featured houses and spent a lot of time poring over those few pictures.
Nicole
a little too kitschy for my taste. and also a lot of the same homes were featured multiple times making sections seem repititous.
Rachel
Really cool book. It's like my dream house in book form! I definitely took some inspiration for my own home from the book.
caroline
I don't know who would buy this book for their library. it's pretty useless.
Tara
Not really what I was looking for. Some of the rooms looked to "busy" for me.
Katie
Cool inspirational photos for vintage diggers like me.
Emily
Jul 11, 2011 Emily marked it as to-read
sounds like my style! modern/urban + vintage pieces w/ soul
Calla
Mar 22, 2014 Calla rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: home
Too busy for my tastes
Mary Taylor
Mary Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Bekah
Bekah marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Christy Childers
Christy Childers marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
  • Creative Walls: How to Display and Enjoy Your Treasured Collections
  • Decorate: 1,000 Design Ideas for Every Room in Your Home
  • Apartment Therapy's Big Book of Small, Cool Spaces
  • Design*Sponge at Home
  • Downtown Chic: Designing Your Dream Home: From Wreck to Ravishing
  • Bazaar Style: Decorating with Market and Vintage Finds
  • Domino: The Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home That Makes You Happy
  • The Nest Home Design Handbook
  • The Selby Is in Your Place
  • Books Do Furnish a Room
  • 501 Decorating Ideas Under $100
  • Home Rules: Transform the Place You Live into a Place You'll Love
  • Obsessive Consumption: What Did You Buy Today?
  • Undecorate: The No-Rules Approach to Interior Design
Flea Market Style Cheap Chic: Affordable Ideas for a Relaxed Home Contemporary Country Style on a Budget: Affordable Ideas for a Relaxed Home Table Settings: Stylish Entertaining Made Simple