Stand-In Wife

Stand-In Wife (Special Forces #2)

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Playing with dynamite, a girl could get burned...What does he know about love and marriage? And exactly how did he, Ross Coltrane--a special forces elite soldier and demolitions expert--end up playing middleman to his kid brother and the estranged wife? And most important, why is he suddenly noticing how beautiful his sister-in-law is? He's never thought about his brother'...more
Published August 2nd 2011 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Stand-In Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stand-In Wife

Saly
Okay despite all the drama and the subterfuge involved I enjoyed Stand-in-Wife, it was more of a family thing than a romance.

Viv is the fun twin, the one who is a successful custom designer in New York and her family doesn't really consider her responsible and she and her twin Meredith are complete opposites so when Mer injures herself and has to get a cast she volunteers to help pick up her son Harry. Mer's life is unraveling her husband left her for a kiss she shared with another man, her daug...more
Kristiej
I enjoyed this one. I read it a week or so ago now and need to read the blurb to remember it, but that’s more of a case of declining short term memory retention then the book not being memorable.

Ross Coltrane, our hero, was first introduced in Here Comes The Groom. He is part of an elite Special Forces group – think Seals – only a New Zealand company, who were attacked and lost two of their own in Afghanistan. Each surviving member has reacted differently. In Ross’ case, he is hell bent on getti...more
Book Binge Blog
Buying into the plot of this book took a major suspension of disbelief. Vivienne Jansen comes home from New York to check on her twin sister, whose marriage has fallen apart. Meredith has sounded increasingly depressed and Viv is worried about her. She convinces Merry she needs a change and talks her into going to an interview at a new hospital, an hour away, thinking that Merry getting away from her soon-to-be-ex and his new flame will be good for her.

Unfortunately Merry breaks her leg while th...more
Nicole Helm
Another Karina Bliss book that I really enjoyed despite some plot choices I usually avoid. Mistaken identity/identical twins is usually an eye roller for me, but I was drawn into Stand-In Wife right away. I also like that even though it's a sequel, the story really is about the hero and heroine, not the previous or to come characters in the series.

What really amazed me about this book was that the hero and heroine barely have any romantic entanglements for at least half the book, but I was still...more
Maria
I enjoyed reading this book on various levels: I really liked the setting (Auckland, New Zeland), a refreshing change, and the fact that the characters aren’t those perfect and stunning people that usually appear in Harlequin stories. Even the children are believable, the little eight year old (Tilly) is irritating and endearing at the same time and the toddler – left wandering alone many times – is so cute...
Being a kind of comedy of errors – with fragilities and inconsistencies already noted b...more
Christy
A high 4 stars for me, despite the improbability of the identical twin identity swap. As the mother of twins (albeit of fraternal boys), I did like the twin dynamic that she portrayed. I think she did a good job of capturing the blessings as well as the burdens of growing up as half of a matched set.
Isabella
A VERY enjoyable read! Viv's character is strong and independent and sassy. She is a perfect match for Ross. The love scene was hot erotic, but so tastefully written. Definately a pade-turner and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a romatic tale with a sharp edge. Thank you Karina!
steph
This book was crazy in the subterfuge area. Like seriously there was many a time when I had a hard time of keeping track of all the lies that the main character and her sister were doing. And I had a even harder time believing that Viv and Ross fell in love so fast (a week span? really?). Also, this book was less about Viv and Ross' love story and more about the relationships they had with everyone else.

That said, I still really liked this book. The children were well written, everyone's emotion...more
Liz B
I thought this book started out great, with instant and believable conflict between hero and heroine due to a believable back story--and the back story was really the star of this book, come to think of it. The heroine is an identical twin, and she's always been the irresponsible one. She left New Zealand for New York, and is back for a visit when circumstances and chance combine in completely implausible yet fun ways such that she feels obligated to impersonate her twin.

I was definitely not cra...more
Missy
Brianne
I love Ms. Bliss's writing, but I wasn't in love with this book. I liked it though, and am looking forward to the next one in the series.

The story between Merry and Viv and the circumstances that result from their twin swap tkae up the majority of the book. This was funny and endearing and showed a lot about Viv and a good amount about Ross as they dealt with the day to day problems that resulted from suddenly assusming someone else's life. and there was a lot about Ross's career that just seeme...more
Dls
For me Karina Bliss is an auto buy, so I was really disappointed that this book didn't work for me. Partly that's because I couldn't buy into the plot: my sisters are identical twins and their husbands could always tell them apart (although their children when very young coulnt always) . And that made me keep focusing on what else didn't work.
Also the relationship never quite developed enough --and the sister's marriage problema took up a huge share of what is a short book yet we didn't really s...more
Jo
Jan 02, 2013 Jo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Karina Bliss just doesn't get the recognition she deserves for her excellent writing skills. She is simply AWESOME.

As other reviews mention, this book uses a difficult trope and yet Ms Bliss's smooth writing, humour, feel-real characters and ability to hook us makes us read to the end with the always-hope of HEA.

I look forward to reading Bring Him Home, the next book in this series of "damaged" SAS soldier stories.
Li
This was my first Karina Bliss - I've heard good things about her writing and I ended up really liking this book.

This was a twins/swapped identities storyline, which is always fun, and I totally believed in the relationship between Viv and Ross. I have to say I didn't really care for the secondary romance (or should that be the secondary h/h?) in the book.

All in all though, a really good romance and I look forward to reading the other two related books.
Joy
Jan 09, 2012 Joy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: romance
Sort of the Parent Trap of a romance. The artsy twin "stands in" for her twin sister (who is on the verge of divorce), and fall in love with her sister's brother-in-law. Incestuous overtones aside, Bliss manages to pull it off where a less author would probably have made me cringe throughout the entire thing, but it wasn't really my favorite Bliss.
Colleen
I typically love books by Karina Bliss but this book just didn't work for me. Like another reviewer commented, it felt disjointed. I didnt buy the romance between the hero and heroine. It just felt like there were too many things going on and not enough to tie it together.

2.5
Janga
Karina Bliss has become one of my favorite authors of contemporary romance, but this one did not leave me eager to rave about it on the blog and to friends. But it didn't change my mind about the general quality of Bliss's writing. She's still an autobuy author for me.
Jacquie
I love Karina Bliss, can't wait for her books to come out but I was a little disapointed with this story. It came across as somewhat disjointed and there was no real meaningful connection between the hero and heroine.
ms bookjunkie
The "living someone else's life" trope is always fascinating. I really enjoyed both hero and heroine, separately and together. Now I need to read the rest of this series… (Oops, I started with book 2!)
Tabs
This book was far better than any tale featuring grown women engaging in crazy twin swap hijinks has any right to be.

I seriously enjoyed this book.
Tabs

I seriously enjoyed this book.
Jacqueline
Extra 1/2 star for being an enjoyable silly read. The actual romance part? Eh. There was more self-discovery than actual romance.
Gail
This was a cute story. I liked the hero, the heroine, the brother and sister in the story, the kids--it was just a fun read.
Birgit
Sorry, but I didn't like the story. It was sometimes a bit confusing and unrealistic and over the top.
Holly
I really loved the family ties of this book, though the plot was rather convoluted.
Janet
Oct 21, 2011 Janet rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: share
Just not that special. Maybe there's a better Bliss to try?
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Twins
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • All They Need
  • Liam's Perfect Woman (Home to Harbor Town, #2)
  • Red Hot Renegade (Bennett #5)
  • The First Move
  • Caught on Camera (Harlequin Blaze #608)
  • His Wife for One Night
  • Cowboys Like Us: Cowboys Like Us\Notorious (Sons of Chance, #6)
  • The Matchmaker Bride
  • Tempted by His Target
  • A Not-So-Perfect Past
  • It Happened One Christmas
  • Protecting the Pregnant Witness (The Precinct: S.W.A.T. Team, #3)
I’ve wanted to be a writer since I was twelve but then I forgot and did a lot of other things instead. These included getting an arts degree in English and Political Studies at Auckland University (New Zealand), a postgraduate degree in periodical journalism at the University of London, travelling, having my heart broken a couple of times, meeting the right guy, building a house, having a baby - t...more
More about Karina Bliss...
What the Librarian Did (Harlequin Superromance, #1622) Here Comes the Groom Bring Him Home A Prior Engagement Mr. Unforgettable (Harlequin Superromance, #1475)

“I'm a very truthful person, but if the greater good is best served by a lie then I'll tell it.” 5 likes
“Everyone knows marriage is hard work. So if you've chosen the shackles, quit whining and get on with it.” 2 likes