Start by marking “The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation” as Want to Read:
The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation

The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  2,795 ratings  ·  61 reviews
The most complete book ever written on the subject, this is the fascinating inside story, told by two long-term Disney animators, of the gradual perfection of a relatively young and particularly American art form--which no other movie studio has been able to equal.
Published October 5th 1995 by Disney Editions (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Illusion of Life, please sign up.

Ewoks This site has nothing to do with piracy mate. Sorry but nobody will give you book here, we just write about reviews, our opinions and how we like some…moreThis site has nothing to do with piracy mate. Sorry but nobody will give you book here, we just write about reviews, our opinions and how we like some book. Better buy this one, own it. You will thank us later :)(less)

(More pictures at

Of the many books on animation and Disney, The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation is probably the best. Written by two of Disney's famous Nine Old Men, Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, this book goes back to where animation was born, made and enjoyed by people all over the world.

At 576 pages, this huge volume probably covers lots of ground on animation except the how-to-do-it part since this isn't really a tutorial book. There are plenty of illustrious stories o
“We seem to know when to ‘tap the heart.’ Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those who appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. The real thing behind this is: we are in the motion picture business, only we are drawing them instead of photographing them.” - Walt Disney

Wonderful and informative. From Walt's Nine Old Men, basic principles, the many glimpses into the workings of the animators at Disney's during the Golden Age and more. 5/5!!

"The A
This is a fabulous read for anyone interested in animation, not just Disney animation. Two of the greats look at how animation developed into the art form it is today from the beginnings of Mickey up to The Rescuers. Full of great drawings and art from the films, it also gives you an inside look at how Walt ran the studio and how some of the most beautiful animation scenes were filmed.
every year the mouse cranks out a dozen bland management approved histories of the early films. this is not one of them.

i paid way too much for a first edition, a year before the reprint. but i had to have it. this bookis a real insight into the minds of disney's nine old men. and served as a primer for a generation of animators.

indespensible with my blair and muybridge.

Nina Harp
I took this book up mainly because of the writers themselves, Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, founding fathers of hand drawn animation. Thought it may be more of a tutorial book but is more of the history of animation and principles behind Disney's early years. Loved it very much.
Liston Morris
This is one of the most important books that an animator can own. It is a detailed account of the development of the Disney animation process.
Jul 16, 2009 Fes rated it 4 of 5 stars
I don't can ever finish this book. As an animator, it's your bible. A book that you always reference when you're in a bind.
Kristen Cummings
This is without a doubt the animator's bible. Reads like a novel, but full of priceless information on the craft.
Regina Hunter
Had to read it, since it is a miracle when I see my bf reading things... 15 books in his life!
Mar 25, 2010 Jie added it
It's a great book,from it I found my caricature dream!
This is probably the most important book written in the subject of animation, even though familiarity with the subject has grown since its writing.

It chronicles two top Disney animators' impressions on how the Disney studio studied and codified its approach to animated film in the 1930s, which is almost certainly the most formative period of the medium.

They set up a list of basic animation principles and focus on each one in turn. They go through each of the different departments, explaining wha
This was a Christmas present from my mom when I was about 12. She got it on the discount rack at Kmart and I used this book so much that both the front and back cover have fallen off. I just took it out and looked through it again last night, to find something to stretch my drawing muscles on since I haven't done any drawing in 15 years now. It's every bit as wonderful and full of inspiration as I remember it being. My daughter loves looking through it too.
Gijs Grob
Rijkelijk geïllustreerd boek over de animatietechnieken, die bij Disney ontwikkeld en gebruikt werden tussen ca. 1934 en 1980, door twee van Disney's grootste animatoren, Frank Thomas en Ollie Johnston.

Het boek is noch een historisch overzicht noch een leerboek, maar heeft iets van beide. Het zit vol met tips & tricks, uitleg en voorbeelden, maar het bevat ook portretten van animators en veel anekdoten.

Voor historici is het boek uiteindelijk frustrerend, omdat Thomas & Johnston stelselma
Stacey Marie
Goes into depth into the process of creating Disney's animated classics. It was interesting to learn about what went on behind the scenes as someone who grew up with these films. I always knew a lot of work went into the production of Disney's work, but this book taught me just how much.
Zee Risek
This is the Bible of classical animation. It's as much a autobiography of Disney's Nine Old Men, as it is an educational book on the principals of animation. The Illusion of Life is an inspiration, a resource manual, an autobiography, and a collective work of art, all rolled into one. It contains tons of artwork from the best in the business. This book is a must have for anyone in the animation industry.
Bought this when I was deciding what I wanted to be when I grew up... cartoonist, vet, lawyer or tbd. It's pretty much THE BOOK on classic Disney animation. It's earned a place on the shelf as one of my favorites.
Benjamin Ferrante
Best book on animation I have read so far.
Bob Szes
I got this book when I was around ten. I wanted to be a Disney Animator more then life its self growing up. My aunt bought me this book one Christmas.
Through the years I devoured it. Teaching the fundamentals of traditional animation it is a most have for any one interested in the subject.
Though it doesn't deal with the digital age, lots have changed, I still recommend it. The basics have not changed and the wisdom and history of the animation process is something any animator or animation stu
This is THE book on animation. The others may imitate it, there's no replacement. The best part of this book is the breakdown it gives of exactly how the Disney animators did what they did during the Golden Age of animation. This may be the book that saved animation. If you want to do animation or you're just very passionate about it, you owe it to yourself to get your hands on a copy. Ollie Johnson
This book is not for anyone with weak arms, a compulsion to not finish what they start, or fear of papercuts. The Illusion of Life is a monster, but so detailed and interesting that true Disney Animation fans overlook its age and weight.

Written by two of the nine old men, this book encompasses Disney Animation through The Rescuers.

Proud to say I read every chapter cover to cover. Solid 4.25 stars.
Katherine (Kat) Cohn
I don't really admire Disney: when I read that Maurice Sendak wanted to emulate Mickey Mouse in his book "In the Night Kitchen," I was temporarily disappointed in him. This book was really well written, however, and gives some very enjoyable stories and interesting perspectives on the life the animators lived throughout the very beginning of what later became the famous Disney studio.
Rubaiat Habib
This book opened by eyes about all the subtleties and insights about the classical 2D animation. To me, the key take away is how a complex, stylized animation style can be decomposed into smaller, understandable chunks (i.e., the 12 principles of animation). this helps an animator to think, learn and execute 2D classical animation in new ways.
The Bible of traditional (Disney) animation. This is the ultimate book about Disney animation if you want to know all ins-and outs of how the countless animated features and shorts were made by the Walt Disney studios as described by Disney veterans Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston - two of Disney's famed Nine Old Men.
A mighty huge tome that goes right into the heart & soul of Disney Animation Studios' origins, from the earliest days, to and through the classical era. The tales and anecdotes of the "Nine Old Men" that formed the backbone of the studio are a real treat for any animation fan to read.
I'd bet my lunch that this was/is a secret weapon to those involved with creating Pixar's films. For any animator, or fan of animation, it's an awe-inspiring, riveting book, chronicling an important and almost-forgotten artistic and technological renaissance of our time.
David Gileadi
This is a great coffee table book--incredible pics, very good info on how animation works, and great history and anecdotes of Disney animation. Written by two of the "9 old men" (the old guys from the end of the Incredibles). This is my third time through or so.
Again-- this should be on currently-reading. This book is a tome! It will take forever to get through but it sure looks good.

Update: I'm going to mark this as read because I'll be at it for the rest of my life! Very cool book. :-)
if you are a hard-core fan of Walt Disney, or you're simply interested in the tips and techniques Walt Disney has used to make their characters so lively and full of personalities, well, yes, this book is a recommendation.
Oct 01, 2011 Hank rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011

This wasn't what I thought was, that is a Disney history. Instead this gorgeously illustrated book can be summed up as: Animation is brought to life by drawing like-like characters. Maybe an arist would get out of it.
  • The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators
  • Story (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • Cartoon Animation
  • The Art of Walt Disney: From Mickey Mouse to the Magic Kingdoms
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures - Volume 1
  • Disney's Art of Animation #1: From Mickey Mouse, To Beauty and the Beast
  • Character Animation Crash Course!
  • Directing the Story: Professional Storytelling and Storyboarding Techniques for Live Action and Animation
  • The Art of Monsters, Inc.
  • Timing for Animation
  • Dream Worlds: Production Design for Animation
  • Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look At Making the Magic Real
  • Designing Disney
  • The Alchemy of Animation: Making an Animated Film in the Modern Age
  • The Art of the Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • The Art of Pixar: 25th Anniv.: The Complete Color Scripts and Select Art from 25 Years of Animation
  • The Art of The Incredibles
  • Creating Characters with Personality

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Franklin M. "Frank" Thomas was an American animator.

Frank Thomas attended Stanford University, where he worked on the campus humor magazine The Stanford Chaparral with Ollie Johnston.

After graduating from Stanford, he attended Chouinard Art Institute.

Frank Thomas joined The Walt Disney Company on September 24, 1934 as employee number 224. There he animated dozens of feature films and shorts.

More about Frank Thomas...