Scorpion (Memory of Scorpions, #1)

Scorpion (Memory of Scorpions #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  665 ratings  ·  186 reviews
You learn your wisest lessons from your enemies. Assuming, of course, you survive the encounter.

Kendras is a casualty of war: injured, penniless, and quite possibly the last surviving member of the only family he's ever known—the elite fighting force known as the Scorpions. When a steel-eyed stranger offers him medicine and shelter in exchange for submission and a secret...more
Published May 2011 by Dreamspinner Press

Bloodraven by P.L. NunnSpecial Forces by Aleksandr VoinovMind Fuck by Manna FrancisEvenfall by Santino HassellWicked Gentlemen by Ginn Hale
Best "Dark" Gay Characters
11th out of 199 books — 295 voters
Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingTruth in the Dark by Amy LaneWicked Gentlemen by Ginn Hale
Best Gay Fantasy Romance
51st out of 454 books — 688 voters

More lists with this book...

Aleksandr Voinov
Jul 27, 2014 Aleksandr Voinov added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This has been re-edited and re-leased by Riptide Publishing. The first sequel is Lying with Scorpions. The third book is A Taste for Poison.
Ingela
Written March 20, 2014

4.4 Strong Stars - a fabulous adventure about brave men with strong desire and lust

I enjoyed my first Aleksandr Voinov novel a lot. It was Gold Digger a contemporary romance. This time was it a quite different genre. Among other, my friend Andrea, and also Lena, recommended this steamy M/M fantasy.

~ A slightly dark and raw story perhaps?
~ Not a true romance said someone....

...and, was it a romance?
If you like to read books with rough gay, not always very romantic, steam -...more
Susan

This is what I was thinking to myself: "Self, how is it possible that Aleksandr Freaking Voinov, The Genius, is THIS good?!" and also "Hey dork, what took you so long to read this book?"

What I so loved about Scorpion is that every single character meant something in this book...had a role...not one was a throwaway. That's pretty amazing. Widowmaker. Vistar An Grekaran. Riktan. Dev. Kiran. Lady. High Priest. Smoke. Executioner. Puppy.

You know what else I loved? Kendras...and his intense...more
Shelley
Christ! Aleksandr Voinov rocks my freaking world AGAIN!

photo 300-army_zps5a125350.jpg

This author nails it for me. Every. Single. Time. Nobody writes military m/m like this.

Scorpion is a dark(er) military fantasy set in the old empire of Shara, where three cities fight and plot against each other. This is a tale of warriors and nobles and the battles they wage for ultimate power. Politics and skulduggery, power plays with brutal costs and sex - really fierce warrior type sex.

Voinov gives you front row seats to this story. Hi...more
Christina
4.5 stars. This was such a great read! Aleksandr Voinov created a highly developed world with strong, multi-faceted characters. The world was fascinating. It was like I stepped right into the lands of Dalman and Fetin with the Scorpions lined up and ready for battle.

The story begins with Kendras, alone and badly hurt after fighting in a war with his fellow brothers - The Scorpions. The Scorpions are a unit of elite warriors that fight side by side as brothers and who follow the motto "Never Stop...more
Aleksandr Voinov
Jun 11, 2013 Aleksandr Voinov added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-wrote
And now in general circulation. Second part in the series hopefully coming in around October.
julio is a red panda
A cherished favorite, redone.

Kendras lives in my brain.

...and so does Steel.

I think the more polished ending works well, but do wish each titanic shift had time to flower on its own, so I could savor each revelation before the next one came along.

I can see why fantasy authors have trouble keeping these things under a million words: when things happen at this scale, with the fate of a shattered empire in the balance, it's difficult to conclude cataclysmic upheaval with a show of hands in a tent.

S...more
Mel
May 23, 2011 Mel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: e-book, m-m
I'm going to start out by saying that, because this is an Aleksandr Voinov story, I expected perfection. That's why I might be extra strict.

Scorpion is not your everyday m/m novel. It's a fantasy story (with heavy erotic undercurrents), it's quite dark and it features a strong, multilayered hero: Kendras.

Kendras was the most interesting part of the story. His will to survive, his inner and outer struggles, his strength and his journey to self discovery were really engaging.
In the beginning of th...more
Ilhem
4,5 stars

The Voinov gate teleported me in a world made of blazing sun, cicadas and olive trees, leather and steel, blood and dirt, high ideals and raw reality, where Empires and Civilizations are weaved tightly and blend to create a fantasy that I actually found historically accurate! That beats everything, no?

The story begins after a battle, at the heart of a war for dominance and political machinations between cities which destinies are closely intertwined. It bears epic undertones while drawi...more
Heather C
I finished this book yesterday and I'm still torn on how I feel about it. I mean, I liked it but I also didn't like it. My biggest problem was all the impersonal fucking. Not because it was rough and gritty, I actually liked that, but because there was so much of it with so many different people. It seemed to pull me out of the story and away from Kendras.

I did really like the dark and dirty world that has been created here. The author does an excellent job with imagery and I had no trouble pict...more
LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131
~~~

Voinov created this rather small, compact world with huge outer fringes. He brought big concepts down to a tightly woven story that led me along an unexpected path. Once I got started on that path, I couldn't stop.

"Hatred had blossomed from the vine of contempt in his heart, flowers of dark, grim splendor."

Voinov's character development once again, shined through. The story has a war torn grittiness that still allowed for characters that were complex, rich and worthy. The main character, Ke...more
Lauraadriana
Ruthless men fucking and fighting and surviving...yep I guess this could be a lot of what you see in this book...And there was that, but damn there was so much more.

Kendras is thelast man in his unit, of the Scorpions, after a heinous battle he is reduced to begging on the streets he is injured and destitute with nowhere to turn to. He is picked up as a trick by awarrior, he's not sure what this man wants with him, but he is in no position to refuse...Steel takes him to a safe place and helps hi...more
Em
Fantasy will always be my favourite genre and of course this book by Aleksandr Voinov didn't disappoint. The intense relationship between Adrastes and Kendras was super hot and I also found the other characters such as Selvan and Kiran really interesting and I can't wait to see what happens with them in the next book.
Bookwatcher
Jul 23, 2012 Bookwatcher rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bookwatcher by: Alex
I WANT MOOOOOOORE!!!

It's an amazing adventure, and I LOOOOOOVE all the characters and I WANT MORE!

pleeeeease?
TheFountainPenDiva
Update: Just read the newest version of this book and it still rocks. I know Aleksandr Voinov rails against doorstop fantasy novels, but seriously, this rollicking dark fantasy tale deserves to be longer. The world is rich, the characters complex as well as multi-ethnic (something that other fantasy authors need to take into account if they want to broaden their readership), and no genderfail. Too many M/M authors (sadly most of them female) totally flunk the Bechdel test when it comes to depict...more
Lena♥Ribka

4,5 fascinating stars!

There are two reasons why I was waiting with the reading of this book:

♥ I am not a big fantasy fan. I read it from time to time, and there were even really great books among them, but it is not my usual genre.

♥ The second book is supposed to be released around October. The later I read it, the less time I have to wait for the next book- I hate to wait too long.

There is one reason why I even though have read it before the second book is available:

♥I found out that it was...more

Loved it! Every line and word was filled with everything I love about Voinov. The way he uses words never fails to leave me in awe. His words can burn, burrow in, and bless you with an amazing reading experience. I can feel the power and impact of his storytelling long after the book is closed. This line hit me right through the heart…

”What would I have to do to keep you?”

To keep you…love that.

Every blade on blade, hiss of pain and fight came alive in this story. But it was the loyalty, weight o...more
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
4 PoIsOnOuS StArS

If you lie with scorpions, you'd better have a taste for poison

Kendras

Out of this world intriguing, I mean literally, OUT.OF. THIS. WORLD. - yes, you step straight into the abyss of Voinov's captivating world of Scorpions.

The Scorpions indulged in epicurean pleasures, fiercely protective of each other.

The story is brilliantly crafted, the characters the plot, everything was so thoroughly engaging.

Kendras is such a fascinating character, he has sinfully beautiful skin with ca...more
Lady*M
Exceptional. If Voinov ever decides to give us another book set in this world, I'll follow him as gladly as Scorpions followed their officer. I can't recommend the book strongly enough. And I won't say more, because you have to experience this book on your own. Just read it.

Edit after reading the second edition:

Well, now. I don't know if it was the editing or the fact that I savored the book or maybe even the fact that I have more experience now with the author's books, but Scorpion worked even...more
Kaje Harper
4.5 stars. This is classic Voinov, dark and intense with strong men who very rarely allow themselves to be vulnerable. Kendras is injured and separated from the rest of his mercenary troupe, the Scorpions. He doesn't know the fate of the others,of the men with whom he is closer than brothers, or of their officer, whom he would have followed into hell. In his determination to find the survivors and bring back what he can of the Scorpions, he is willing to do whatever it takes to survive and succe...more
❧Gwen❤❦
A Majestical Read!~

"A Book of Love ,War and Death...

The Goal~ " Never Stop Fighting"

Gosh, where shall I start, okay, the findings~ I found that this book has so many dreamy elements that allow me to feel like I was riding horse back into a different realm..a lovely realm to say the least! Thus,the descriptive writing and world building was spectacular without a doubt.

Names of the character's are simply unforgettable...Puppy...gosh, I just want to hug him just for his name alone, Steele, hummm...more
Rachel Haimowitz
Full disclosure: I did a beta read on this one. I loved it then and I love it now. The whole concept of the Scorpions is creative and alluring. The main characters--and there are many, because really, this is an ensemble cast orbiting around the bright star that is Kendras--are all vivid, unique individuals, and Aleks creates the sense that he knows the history and mythology for each of them down to how they lost their first baby tooth (without inundating us with details; it's all spare subtle b...more
ßk☼lvr

I can't say anything awesome anyone else hasn't already shared :0) I thoroughly enjoy fantasy stories and am so glad I found another to dive into and follow! Well done, Aleks, very excited for book 2!!!!!

NEVER STOP FIGHTING...
Simsala
The four stars are an "appreciate",not a "like".
Yes,this is an exceptional and very well written story - but absolutely not my thing.
Men! - fucking,fighting and hurting each other...and revel in it.Oh my,....
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Sequel, please.

Look at the cover, how could you resist?

Fantastic, I loved it. Where to begin?

Kendras. When we meet him, he's broken in body and maybe in spirit, but he knows he has to go on. He's the ultimate fighter, an orphan alone on perilous streets, saved by a man who can see his indomitable will. You don't have to think that Kendras is THE strongest, that he won't bend, that he never loses hope. He has his moments of weakness, he has a lot of doubts, insecurities which sprout from his prec...more
Tina

I'm not usually a reader of Fantasy, especially in the M/M genre, but as I loved reading all of Alek's stories, I had to give Scorpion a try.

It's a dark intriguing story about war, alliances, betrayal, loyalty... and love. The characters are complex and well developed, the storyline is well-conceived and fast paced.

I didn't love Kendras from the start, but I respected him for all that he has been through. Although my affection grew in the course of the story... :)

Steel - Grey Eyes - is very di...more
Loederkoningin
Meh...seems like everyone has already read it but me.

Only 1, 2, 3, 4 months to go before the re-edited version will be published though.

Jenre
This must be my fourth attempt to write this review. I get started, write a few paragraphs, re-read what I've written and think "No, that's just not IT". I then abandon the review and go away and sulk for a while at my inability to get my feelings for this book down on paper. Why, you may ask, has this book been so hard to review? Did I hate it so much that I can't write the review without being balanced? Well actually no, the complete opposite in fact. I loved this book, really, really liked it...more
Johanna
This book has a very intimate and unique tone to it. It was like a quilt I was able to wrap around myself. A quilt that smells like strength, loyalty, pride and perseverance - but also doubt and failure. A quilt that has such beautiful, detailed embroidery of love, loss and comradeship on it. A quilt I would love to share with someone who’d feel the same about it and who’d know exactly what I mean. Because the thing is that while I read Aleksandr Voinov’s writing, I already miss his sentences. W...more
Vanessa North
I haven't read much fantasy in recent years. I've found my requirements for what I enjoy in a fantasy story have gotten pickier, and I simply haven't wanted to spend the time hunting for new fantasy authors to try.

Well, Aleksandr Voinov could write just about anything and I would read it, because he's just that good. When I found out Scorpion would be re-released, I added it to my TBR immediately, preordered it, and couldn't wait to read it.

This is one of those books I kept setting aside as I w...more
  • Capture & Surrender (Market Garden, #5)
  • Break and Enter
  • Fragile Bond
  • Blessed Isle
  • Wait For It (The Administration, #4.2)
  • Captive Prince: Volume Two (Captive Prince, #2)
  • Santuario (Santuario, #1)
  • Guardian (Aisling, #1)
  • Bone Rider
  • Prisoner (Kria, #1)
  • Bloodraven
  • He Is Worthy (Warriors of Rome, #2)
  • His Holy Bones (Rifter #10)
Dark Soul Vol. 1 (Dark Soul, #1) Special Forces (Special Forces, #1-3) Special Forces - Soldiers (Special Forces, #1) Dark Soul Vol. 2 (Dark Soul, #2) Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I (Special Forces, #2 part 1)

“If you'd lie with scorpions, you need a taste for poison.” 19 likes
It was easier being strong when another man was strong enough to be weak. 16 likes