Start by marking “Captive Bride” as Want to Read:
Captive Bride

Captive Bride

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews

San Francisco, 1870

Huiann arrives in America expecting to be wed to a wealthy businessman. She no sooner disembarks from the ship than she realizes Xie is not looking for a bride: Huiann is worth more to him as a high-end prostitute. Though her fate is better than that of other Chinese women forced into the sex trade, she has no intention of waiting for Xie to sell her v

Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Captive Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captive Bride

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

3.5 unique, romantic, sexy stars!

Bonnie Dee writes some impressive historical romances, if for no other reason than they are unique. She takes the same old storylines and gives them a twist which makes them distinctive and definitely interesting!

Description...
San Francisco, 1870

Dina
Jan 31, 2011 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, can I say how much I love the cover of this book? It's not only beautiful but it fits the story too! That's quite a rare treat in today's crazy publishing world, LOL.

This was my second read by Ms. Dee and it was another winner. I'm not familiar with her backlist - but I definitely plan to be - so I don't know if this is her niche in writing, but I loved how she wasn't afraid of tackling "controversial" subjects in the two books I've read. So refreshing!

Captive Bride takes place in San
Fani

Huiann comes to America believing she is to marry Xie, a rich Chinese businessman. However, she soon finds out that Xie plans to use her as a high-class prostitute rather than his wife. Huiann manages to escape and hides inside a shop which is run by Alan Sommers, a war veteran and aspiring politician. Alan takes the young woman under his care and asks her to become his housekeeper. Not left with any options Huiann accepts. Huiann and Alan have to use sign language to communicate, since
Rane
May 04, 2011 Rane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Bonnie Dee is a rising author, whose work is always new and fresh, from a different and new perspective and for me Captive Bride "captures" this perfectly. With a setting unknown and sometimes forgotten in America history and not one of the brightest spots in US history. Dee brings it to vivid color with her writing voice, with the ability not to point fingers but give it to the reader in brass facts.

The journey of Huiann who arrives in america thinking she was to be a bride, but really going
sraxe
I started off liking this book and the characters, but that quickly fell away once I got past the halfway point. The one thing I liked about the book in the beginning was that I was glad the author didn't feel the need for shock value. She could've made Huiann's week-long captivity brutal, even without rape, but she didn't. However, in the second half of the book, (view spoiler) ...more
chanceofbooks
There are times when I think that I might be a *bit* too generous with five star reviews, but then there are other times when five stars doesn't seem nearly enough to express just how much a particular work moved me. I know that AAR uses "desert isle keepers" and as I'm in the Pacific Northwest, I think I'll call it a monsoon-must. Bonnie Dee earned every point of this five star review with an emotional tale of forbidden longing and loneliness. It's 1870 and Huiann has come to San Fransisco from ...more
Tara Chevrestt
Good story. Huiann is a young Chinese woman whose parents strike a deal with a rich American merchant. They think Huiann is going to America to be the man's wife.. but upon reaching San Fran, Huiann discovers she's to be a whore.

She escapes straight into the arms of Alan, a white man with a small store and big political aspirations. I liked this part. I liked how Alan and Huiann find ways to communicate with each other and tell each other stories even though they speak different languages. There
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Jacqueline
Enjoyable book that takes place in San Francisco in 1870. It seemed to be well researched and the information was basically imparted as part of the story of this Chinese girl who was imported to be a prostitute unbeknownst to her. When she finds out she runs away and is taken in by a white American man who hires her as a housekeeper and then falls in love with her.

The story develops over several months and you see the two of them learn about each other and fall in love. The plot was fairly tigh
Cleffairy
Published on: Over A Cuppa Tea

Date published:26th Jan 2011

Review link: http://cleffairy.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/captive-bride/

Captive Bride by Bonnie Dee is a very sexy and romantic read. I like this very much, but I have trouble grasping the plot at the beginning of this story. I was not quite sure what the author is trying to write, but it began to be clear to me after reading it for a while.

There’s room for improvement though the romantic scenes are spectacular. I was hoping for more… perhap
Alicia
Though the cover of this book is lovely, the title didn't seem very appealing. But after reading the synopsis and a sample, I thought I was mistaken. Captive Bride seemed to be a really interesting historical novel focusing on post-Civil War San Francisco and the influx of Chinese immigrants and the politics surrounding the blend of multiple cultures.

Sure, I knew the focus of this story would be on a sort of Mail Order Bride who escapes a horrible fate, but I was really looking forward to readi
Heidi Dover
This was...okay. I love that Bonnie Dee writes unusual situations and characters, but I kind of had a disconnect with both MCs in this one,plus, it kind of dragged toward the middle and through the end, but maybe that was because I grew kinda uncomfortable about the portrayal of the characters. Huiann's internal thoughts (and actions, tbh) were too Western for me, patterns, names and expressions for things, etc.Not that I'm knowledgeable by any means on Chinese customs or behaviors of the time, ...more
Steffi
I've read several books by Bonnie Dee that I greatly enjoyed and Captive Bride is one of them. Review to come...
Katie(babs)
Apr 16, 2011 Katie(babs) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. Awesome beta minded hero and great love scenes. Bonnie really hits the time period perfectly.
Erin
May 18, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galleys
I wasn't sure what I was getting into with this, but as the story unfolded, it became clear that this story was better than I had expected. It's a romance, so it's about finding love (in this case, interracial love when that wasn't allowed), but it's also about finding friendship, acceptance, and a home.

Alan came to San Francisco to escape his past, and the dark memories which haunted him. It hasn't worked too well, but he keeps hoping that will change. He has, however, done well enough for hims
Julianna
Apr 12, 2012 Julianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Romance w/Unique Elements, I/R Romance w/Asian Heroine
Reviewed for THC Reviews
It seems that whenever I run across a Bonnie Dee book, the synopsis and excerpt never fail to draw me in, so I was very excited to finally have a chance to try one of her novels. Captive Bride didn't quite reach the heights of perfection for me, but it was a solid piece of storytelling that I really enjoyed reading. I always like a good interracial story, and this one was quite interesting especially in the historical context where prejudice and racism seemed to run rampa
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
(Original review, with read-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)

This post was an absolute bear to write. I'm not sure why, since I even had decent notes that covered pretty much everything I wanted to write. I just had a hard time putting those notes into reasonably coherent and mostly organized paragraphs. I'd have abandoned the whole thing, except I liked the book enough that I wanted to make sure there was a mention of it on my blog. Plus, the cover image is pretty.

Anyway,
Kathy Chung
this is an average reads for me.

It puzzled me when I read that Alan did not tap the table to signify that he likes the food. this is the first time I read about this custom. as far as I know, tapping table is for when someone pour tea to the person. and tapping the table with two fingers meant "thank you"..
Rachel
Dec 26, 2015 Rachel added it
Sweet and silly

A sweet and ultimately silly read. Not too sure about the historical accuracy or whether it represented Chinese culture appropriately.
Vivian
Nice premise. I think Carina press needs a better line editor. There were a few spelling mistakes and misusage of the verb "to lie".
Anne Dirty Girls' Good Books
This was a great story! Huiann & Alan's relationship was wonderful to watch unfold. I liked that Huiann was friends with Dora, too. I loved that Huiann came to value her own strengths, and Alan grew as a person, too.

The story was more explicitl/hotter than a typical historical, but that was a good thing for me.
Fashionista
The story started off slowly; but picks up nicely as you read. I love the fact that the h is Asian. The H (Alan) is a real sweetheart.
The love scenes are great ;-)
TheFountainPenDiva
Yes, I'm sold on the cover and the premise. When publishers don't whitewash, I reward them.
Nicole
Jul 03, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent romance enriched by history,truth, and suspense.
Tasha
Apr 02, 2011 Tasha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical
Uhg, that ending was way too long.
MJ
3.5 Stars
Ludovica
Ludovica marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Irmaria
Irmaria marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
  • Butterfly Swords (Tang Dynasty, #1)
  • Tessa's Pride
  • Shaking Off the Dust
  • Gold Mountain
  • Conor's Way
  • Red Hot Renegade (Bennett #5)
  • A Candle in the Dark
  • Simple Jess (Marrying Stone, #2)
  • A Tryst with Trouble
  • RiverTime
  • Friendly Fire
  • Dancing on Coals
  • A Marriage of Inconvenience (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #1)
  • Craving Perfect
  • Unbuttoning Miss Hardwick
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
  • The Sleeping Night
  • Catch Me
I began telling stories as a child. Whenever there was a sleepover, I was the designated ghost tale teller. I still have a story printed on yellow legal paper in second grade about a ghost, a witch and a talking cat.

I enjoy dabbling in many genres. Whether you're a fan of contemporary historical or fantasy romance, you'll find something to enjoy among my books. I'm interested in flawed, often dama
More about Bonnie Dee...

“As he left Chinatown behind, Alan thought of the woman he’d seen on the wharf the other day, the golden splendor of her gown, her glossy hair and the turbulent emotion in her eyes. He wondered what she was doing right now and if she’d found happiness in her new home.” 3 likes
“The exhaustion apparent in his slumped shoulders made her heart twist. He looked so tired she wanted to rub his back and stroke his hair, as a mother would for a child. This was natural compassion, she decided, and walked toward him to give him what comfort she could.
He finally heard her and lifted his head from his arms. Locks of sandy hair fell over his forehead and he looked up at her with deep indigo eyes. Even in the dim light, she could see pain etched across his features. What horrors stalked his dreams? What could she do to help him sleep peacefully?
For a long moment they gazed at one another and then Huiann rested her hand on his shoulder. At the same time, Alan leaned into her body. They came together like two halves of an eggshell carefully broken. He slid a hand around her waist and pulled her closer. His face pressed against her breast. His arms wrapped around her.
She held him, cradling his head, rubbing his back. His body was so warm in her embrace. Her heart beat steadily and her stomach flipped in slow, lazy somersaults. The moment she’d sensed coming for so long was here. What would happen next?
For a long time, they remained locked in perfect union, contented, safe, no longer alone. As she caressed his hair, soft as she’d imagined, he tilted his face to look up at her. His eyes glittered in the lamplight. He wanted more and Huiann realized she did too.”
3 likes