Start by marking “Winter's Child (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #12)” as Want to Read:
Winter's Child (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #12)

Winter's Child (Deborah Knott Mysteries #12)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,599 ratings  ·  93 reviews

It's one month after their wedding, and the future looks bright for Judge Deborah Knott and Sheriff Deputy Dwight Bryantuntil a disturbing call from Dwight's 8-year-old son Cal calls him back to Virginia.When he arrives, he is shocked to find that his ex-wife has left the boy alone for almost 24 hours. Worse, as Dwight tries to confront her, she takes the child and leaves

Hardcover, 1st edition, 324 pages
Published August 21st 2006 by Mysterious Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Winter's Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter's Child

Kellie
-#12 of the Deborah Knot Series-First, the good parts: I really enjoy this series. I like the characters and after the 12th book, I’m very interested in the story line. I also like the way the author pulls in history, geography and culture of North Carolina. I always learn something when I read these books. And this book in particular was very fast paced and gripping. Now the negative….the mystery was lame. I don’t really read these books for the mystery but there is no surprise, red herring, wh ...more
Cindy
This series is still very readable, but a couple of things just were not believable for me here. First of all, why would Deborah and Dwight be bunking at Dwight's dead ex-wife's place? That's just creepy and weird. There is some mention about it being logical in case Dwight's son returns. But still, Deborah was forging around in the lady's fridge for food! Tacky.

Also, Maron couldn't seem to help herself this time by crossing the line with her political opinions. She and lot of authors do this an
LJ
WINTER’S CHILD (Police Procedural-North Caroline-Cont) – G+
Maron, Margaret – 12th in series
Mysterious Press, 2006 – US Hardcover – ISBN: 0891968109
First Sentence: The call came through to the Colleton County Sheriff’s Department just after sunset on a chilly Thursday evening in mid-January.
*** Judge Deborah Knott’s new husband, Sheriff’s Deputy Dwight Bryant, has a murder to solve. Troublemaker J.D. Rouse has been fatally shot while driving his truck. But more important to Dwight is that his ex-
Sandi
Not one of the better books in the series. The two separate mystery plots were both pretty uninspired and the domestic drama was a bit much for me. I was also disappointed that Deborah's role seemed to be supporting instead of her usual lead. Listened to the audio version read ably, as always, by C. J. Critt.
Ed
#12 in the Judge Deborah Knott mystery series.

Judge Deborah Knott mystery - Whoever shot J.D. Rouse dead in his pickup truck gives "taking out the trash" a whole new meaning. Judge Deborah Knott and her new husband, Colleton County, N.C., chief deputy Dwight Bryant, are soon embroiled in the murder investigation. Then Dwight's eight-year-old son, Cal, who lives with his mother, Jonna, in Shaysville, Va., phones late one winter night to report that Jonna hasn't come home. Early the next morning,
Elizabeth
I really, really like Deborah Knott. While I have never been to this area of the country, my family is from the south a state or two west. So it always feels like I *know* these people. Because I do, I guess.

This installment is the first one after the wedding to Dwight. And part of the story is told in first person from Deborah's perspective. The other parts are told in third person centering around Dwight. This has happened some since Dwight and Deborah's relationship grew. But this one was mos
Amanda
This is the 12th book in the Deborah Knott mystery series. The series centers around a North Carolina district judge, Deborah Knott. The series takes places in a town that is supposed to be between Chapel Hill and Raleigh.

In this book, Deborah has gotten recently married and her new husband heads up to Virginia to visit his son. His son and his ex-wife both disappear and Deborah get involves in the case.

I've really enjoyed the series because it has a very southern feel to it. You see a lot of t
Bonnie
The story of the Winter's Child takes place in North Carolina and neighboring Virginia. On a straight road in a area of military families, double-wide trailers and fading farms, a woman who is out cleaning up trash along the road witnesses the shooting death of a wife beater and misscreant. The narrator is Judge Deborah Knott, wife of the Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant who has thw task of solving the murder. A sub-plot quickly arises when Dwight receives a telephone call from his son who lives i ...more
Nell
This addition in the series moves the personal stories forward. There are two murders in two different states connected only by the main characters.

The book opens with the shooting death of an unpopular man in NC. Dwight has just begun that investigation when he receives an urgent call from his son in VA and travels there. He soon learns that his ex-wife is missing; shortly thereafter his son, Cal, disappears as well. The book simultaneously follows both investigations with Detective Mayleen Ri
Joyce Lagow
12th in the Judge Deborah Knott series set in North Carolina.[return][return]Barely married a month, Dwight Bryant has his hands full with a puzzling murder and then an odd, urgent plea from Cal, his 8 year old son, who lives with Dwight s ex-wife in western Virginia, to make an unscheduled visit immediately. Dwight agrees, and the next day is on his way.[return][return]When he arrives, the situation is both puzzling and highly disturbing. Cal has been left alone for about 24 hours, with no sign ...more
Amylou1977
i am so hooked!!!!

On a straight stretch of North Carolina highway, in a land of military families, double-wide trailers, and fading farms, a wife beater and miscreant is found shot to death in his pickup truck with beer cans around his body. For Judge Deborah Knott, it means her husband of one month, Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant, has a mystery to unravel. Then from across state lines, Dwight gets an urgent phone call from his son -- a boy who needs his dad even more than Dwight can know. While
Janice
Pr Latta
[audio] The first book in Margaret Maron's character-drivien Deborah Knott mystery series (this is #12) after Deborah and Dwight are married. Often, a marriage is the "kiss of death" for a series but I enjoyed this title which earned it's "mom-lit" tag for its exploration of being a step-mother. Nice little twist in the murder plot, though many of the clues are like "the rifle hanging on the wall in the first scene." Enjoyed CJ Critt's audio version.
Kilian Metcalf
Oct 11, 2013 Kilian Metcalf rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kilian by: Mary Ronan Drew
I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. Maintaining the quality over a long series is a challenge to an author, and I'm going to give Maron this one because I love the others so much. I would recommend skipping this book in the series. I don't know if she switched editors or her critique group/beta readers were out of town, or it was rushed into print, or what, but if this were the first book I read, I wouldn't read any others.

There were long, convuluted sentences I had to read and reread t
Ellen Moore
I found this book interesting because it describes what happens to Dwight ' s first wife that results in his son Cal coming to live in NC with Dwight and Deborah. In Virginia and totally out of his jurisdiction, Dwight nevertheless becomes very involved in investigating the situation of Cal's disappearance and his missing mother, ably assisted and supported by Deborah, who travels to Virginia when she learns of the problems. This book is pivotal in the story of Deborah and Dwight.
Linda
May 29, 2008 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ruth, Tom Davis
Recommended to Linda by: CMPL
Shelves: cmpl, audio
Narrated by C. J. Critt. My first time with this author, but won't be my last. Of course, the narration by Critt, helped, but this book kept my interest while I drove. Very few "darn, I wasn't listening" moments.
This is book #12 of a series of books in which the main character is Judge Deborah Knott. Judge Knott is married to North Carolina deputy Dwight Bryant for one month when Dwight's eight-year-old son calls for his dad to come to his school several hours away in Virginia. After acting as
Christine
I listened to this as an audio book. I am a fan of mystery series, when they are well done, and truth be told, picked it up because I had read one of hers previously and I liked the performer (CJ Critt). This is the perfect audio series to commute with. I like that Maron doesn't always put the lead character into harms way. The per-capita murder rate in Colleton County is a bit on the high side (sort of like Cabot Cover, ME), but Maron moves the author to different locations and is able to keep ...more
Tomi
Good characterization; a good mystery with ghosts (??), family drama, and an old woman I just wanted to smack! And a nice clean mystery too!
Kevin Kern
I love Judge Deborah Knott and all the characters in these books, but this is the first one that ever made me cry. Not like I cry in a JoJo Moyes or Cathy Lamb book, but I still shed lots of tears. Missing children is a horrid story line, altho, it fit this episode in the continuing series, perfectly. I will not spoil any part of the saga, but if you like good stories, that highlight on society's ills, 20 years old and many unchanged, start these books. This one touched on mental illness, and ho ...more
Jan
Classic addition to an excellent series!
Sharon Davies
Really enjoyed this book. Maron never disappoints
Patty
Deborah and Dwight are involved in two cases. One involves the shooting of a town bully, the other the death of Dwight's ex-wife and the kidnapping of his son Cal. There are some parallels between the two cases yet the case involving Dwight's son is the one that is so engrossing.

There is Civil War history, small town lives and long held secrets that are woven together in a fast moving and wonderful story.

I'm still loving Deborah Knott and new husband Dwight -- it will be interesting to see wher
Kristy
The latest (as of mid-2007) in Margaret Maron's enjoyable Deborah Knotts series.

Now married, Deborah and Dwight face several challenges, including a murder Dwight must investigate in their small North Carolina town. While involved in that investigation, the pair find out that Dwight's ex-wife, Jonna (mother of his young son Cal) has gone missing. Dwight -- and eventually Deborah -- must travel to his ex-wife's hometown to search for Jonna, and soon, Cal as well.

Very enjoyable and suspenseful n
Caitlin
This book gets a 5. It had the perfect amount of suspense surrounded by history, psychology, and family. Dwight gets a phone call from Cal that has him drop everything to visit his son while Deborah helps pick up trash with her family. When Dwight finds out that Cal was home alone and that his mother's missing, he has to balance his work with the detective work going on right under his nose. Then, Cal goes missing, too.
An excellent read, at a perfect place in the series.
Cindy Huffman
I have a bad compulsion. The compulsion to finish a book, no matter if I'm getting any enjoyment out of it or not. Well, the one exception is the one book about adoptive parents. That one just pissed me off.

But this book, and unfortunately for me, quite a few before it, have just come up empty even though I continue to flip through the pages -- reading each and every word.

continued @ http://blog.yourpointismoot.com/2007/...
BJ
This is book #12 in Margaret Maron's Judge Deborah Knott series. I have read and enjoyed all the previous books. This series is not a hard-hitting, super-suspenseful series, but it has a strong female lead character and her huge family, friends and residents of the county where she lives in North Carolina provide lots of colorful characters. I would recommend this series to anyone who enjoys a little legal, a little suspense mixed in with family drama.
Rachel
Dwight Bryant recieves a call from his 8 year old son Cal and when he traveks ti hus home in Shaysville, Virginia Dwight discovers that Cal's mom is missing. Dwight's new wife Deborah Knott travels up to help when Cal also disappears. Meanwhile Dwights team in North Carolina is investigating the shooting of J.D. Rouse who was hot while driving. A suspensful read that kept me going wanting to know what had happened to Cal.
Lela
Another series crime mystery, this book explores, Deborah Knott's new husband's past, bringing his character into focus. After suspecting various characters throughout the book, I didn't expect the end even though I had my suspicions earlier in the book. I usually don't try to figure out the mystery because then I don't want to finish the book. So I like it when it isn't given away too easily.
Kathy
I have read this series from the beginning and loved watching the relationship develop between Deborah and Dwight. I haven't been crazy about the last couple of stories being written in both voices though. Now that Dwight's son will have to move in with them it opens up a new direction for future stories. Sometimes you can get impatient with the mystery, but I do love deb and dwight.
Teri G
Quick read, not bad, likable main characters, but way too predictable of a read, and way too many leaps of faith. I don't want to give away the solution, so will just give this example: Wouldn't Jonna's house be a crime scene? Then why were Dwight and Deborah sleeping there? This is the first book in the series that I've read, but I don't think I'll be hunting down the others.
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • By Stone, by Blade, by Fire
  • One Was a Soldier (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #7)
  • Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters Mystery, #4)
  • Snipe Hunt (Professor Simon Shaw, #2)
  • Dead Man's Bones (China Bayles, #13)
  • Holy Terror In The Hebrides (Dorothy Martin, #3)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • Autumn Blue: A Novel
  • The Outcast Dead (Ruth Galloway #6)
Born and raised in central North Carolina, Margaret Maron lived in Italy before returning to the USA where she and her husband now live. In addition to a collection of short stories she's also the author of 16 mystery novels. Her works have been translated into seven languages her Bootlegger's Daughter, a Washington Post Bestseller won Edgar Anthony, Agatha, and Macavity awards. She is a past pres ...more
More about Margaret Maron...

Deborah Knott Mysteries (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Bootlegger's Daughter (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #1)
  • Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2)
  • Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3)
  • Up Jumps the Devil (Deborah Knott Mystery, #4)
  • Killer Market (Deborah Knott Mysteries #5)
  • Home Fires (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #6)
  • Storm Track (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #7)
  • Uncommon Clay (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #8)
  • Slow Dollar (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #9)
  • High Country Fall (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #10)
Bootlegger's Daughter (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #1) Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3) Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2) Up Jumps the Devil (Deborah Knott Mystery, #4) Hard Row (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #13)