Winter's Child (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #12)

Winter's Child (Deborah Knott #12)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,341 ratings  ·  84 reviews

It's one month after their wedding, and the future looks bright for Judge Deborah Knott and Sheriff Deputy Dwight Bryant—until a disturbing call from Dwight's 8-year-old son Cal calls him back to Virginia.When he arrives, he is shocked to find that his ex-wife has left the boy alone for almost 24 hours. Worse, as Dwight tries to confront her, she takes the child and leaves

Hardcover, 1st edition, 324 pages
Published August 21st 2006 by Mysterious Press (first published 2006)

Water for Elephants by Sara GruenNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerThe Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsThe Road by Cormac McCarthyEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Best Books of 2006
478th out of 481 books — 551 voters
Gone Girl by Gillian FlynnMystic River by Dennis LehaneCorpalism by Arun D. EllisGatsby's Smile by Morana BlueTurn of Mind by Alice LaPlante
Mysteries For Deep Thinkers
113th out of 135 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Kellie
-#12 of the Deborah Knot Series-First, the good parts: I really enjoy this series. I like the characters and after the 12th book, I’m very interested in the story line. I also like the way the author pulls in history, geography and culture of North Carolina. I always learn something when I read these books. And this book in particular was very fast paced and gripping. Now the negative….the mystery was lame. I don’t really read these books for the mystery but there is no surprise, red herring, wh...more
Cindy
This series is still very readable, but a couple of things just were not believable for me here. First of all, why would Deborah and Dwight be bunking at Dwight's dead ex-wife's place? That's just creepy and weird. There is some mention about it being logical in case Dwight's son returns. But still, Deborah was forging around in the lady's fridge for food! Tacky.

Also, Maron couldn't seem to help herself this time by crossing the line with her political opinions. She and lot of authors do this an...more
LJ
WINTER’S CHILD (Police Procedural-North Caroline-Cont) – G+
Maron, Margaret – 12th in series
Mysterious Press, 2006 – US Hardcover – ISBN: 0891968109
First Sentence: The call came through to the Colleton County Sheriff’s Department just after sunset on a chilly Thursday evening in mid-January.
*** Judge Deborah Knott’s new husband, Sheriff’s Deputy Dwight Bryant, has a murder to solve. Troublemaker J.D. Rouse has been fatally shot while driving his truck. But more important to Dwight is that his ex-...more
Sandi
Not one of the better books in the series. The two separate mystery plots were both pretty uninspired and the domestic drama was a bit much for me. I was also disappointed that Deborah's role seemed to be supporting instead of her usual lead. Listened to the audio version read ably, as always, by C. J. Critt.
Amanda
This is the 12th book in the Deborah Knott mystery series. The series centers around a North Carolina district judge, Deborah Knott. The series takes places in a town that is supposed to be between Chapel Hill and Raleigh.

In this book, Deborah has gotten recently married and her new husband heads up to Virginia to visit his son. His son and his ex-wife both disappear and Deborah get involves in the case.

I've really enjoyed the series because it has a very southern feel to it. You see a lot of t...more
Bonnie
The story of the Winter's Child takes place in North Carolina and neighboring Virginia. On a straight road in a area of military families, double-wide trailers and fading farms, a woman who is out cleaning up trash along the road witnesses the shooting death of a wife beater and misscreant. The narrator is Judge Deborah Knott, wife of the Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant who has thw task of solving the murder. A sub-plot quickly arises when Dwight receives a telephone call from his son who lives i...more
Nell
This addition in the series moves the personal stories forward. There are two murders in two different states connected only by the main characters.

The book opens with the shooting death of an unpopular man in NC. Dwight has just begun that investigation when he receives an urgent call from his son in VA and travels there. He soon learns that his ex-wife is missing; shortly thereafter his son, Cal, disappears as well. The book simultaneously follows both investigations with Detective Mayleen Ri...more
Joyce Lagow
12th in the Judge Deborah Knott series set in North Carolina.[return][return]Barely married a month, Dwight Bryant has his hands full with a puzzling murder� and then an odd, urgent plea from Cal, his 8 year old son, who lives with Dwight� s ex-wife in western Virginia, to make an unscheduled visit� immediately. Dwight agrees, and the next day is on his way.[return][return]When he arrives, the situation is both puzzling and highly disturbing. Cal has been left alone for about 24 hours, with no s...more
Amylou1977
i am so hooked!!!!

On a straight stretch of North Carolina highway, in a land of military families, double-wide trailers, and fading farms, a wife beater and miscreant is found shot to death in his pickup truck with beer cans around his body. For Judge Deborah Knott, it means her husband of one month, Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant, has a mystery to unravel. Then from across state lines, Dwight gets an urgent phone call from his son -- a boy who needs his dad even more than Dwight can know. While...more
Janice
Kilian Metcalf
Oct 11, 2013 Kilian Metcalf rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kilian by: Mary Ronan Drew
I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. Maintaining the quality over a long series is a challenge to an author, and I'm going to give Maron this one because I love the others so much. I would recommend skipping this book in the series. I don't know if she switched editors or her critique group/beta readers were out of town, or it was rushed into print, or what, but if this were the first book I read, I wouldn't read any others.

There were long, convuluted sentences I had to read and reread t...more
Linda
May 29, 2008 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ruth, Tom Davis
Recommended to Linda by: CMPL
Shelves: cmpl, audio
Narrated by C. J. Critt. My first time with this author, but won't be my last. Of course, the narration by Critt, helped, but this book kept my interest while I drove. Very few "darn, I wasn't listening" moments.
This is book #12 of a series of books in which the main character is Judge Deborah Knott. Judge Knott is married to North Carolina deputy Dwight Bryant for one month when Dwight's eight-year-old son calls for his dad to come to his school several hours away in Virginia. After acting as...more
Christine
I listened to this as an audio book. I am a fan of mystery series, when they are well done, and truth be told, picked it up because I had read one of hers previously and I liked the performer (CJ Critt). This is the perfect audio series to commute with. I like that Maron doesn't always put the lead character into harms way. The per-capita murder rate in Colleton County is a bit on the high side (sort of like Cabot Cover, ME), but Maron moves the author to different locations and is able to keep...more
Hermien
A very enjoyable Judge Deborah Knott mystery.
Patty
Deborah and Dwight are involved in two cases. One involves the shooting of a town bully, the other the death of Dwight's ex-wife and the kidnapping of his son Cal. There are some parallels between the two cases yet the case involving Dwight's son is the one that is so engrossing.

There is Civil War history, small town lives and long held secrets that are woven together in a fast moving and wonderful story.

I'm still loving Deborah Knott and new husband Dwight -- it will be interesting to see wher...more
Kristy
The latest (as of mid-2007) in Margaret Maron's enjoyable Deborah Knotts series.

Now married, Deborah and Dwight face several challenges, including a murder Dwight must investigate in their small North Carolina town. While involved in that investigation, the pair find out that Dwight's ex-wife, Jonna (mother of his young son Cal) has gone missing. Dwight -- and eventually Deborah -- must travel to his ex-wife's hometown to search for Jonna, and soon, Cal as well.

Very enjoyable and suspenseful n...more
Caitlin
This book gets a 5. It had the perfect amount of suspense surrounded by history, psychology, and family. Dwight gets a phone call from Cal that has him drop everything to visit his son while Deborah helps pick up trash with her family. When Dwight finds out that Cal was home alone and that his mother's missing, he has to balance his work with the detective work going on right under his nose. Then, Cal goes missing, too.
An excellent read, at a perfect place in the series.
Cindy Huffman
I have a bad compulsion. The compulsion to finish a book, no matter if I'm getting any enjoyment out of it or not. Well, the one exception is the one book about adoptive parents. That one just pissed me off.

But this book, and unfortunately for me, quite a few before it, have just come up empty even though I continue to flip through the pages -- reading each and every word.

continued @ http://blog.yourpointismoot.com/2007/...
BJ
This is book #12 in Margaret Maron's Judge Deborah Knott series. I have read and enjoyed all the previous books. This series is not a hard-hitting, super-suspenseful series, but it has a strong female lead character and her huge family, friends and residents of the county where she lives in North Carolina provide lots of colorful characters. I would recommend this series to anyone who enjoys a little legal, a little suspense mixed in with family drama.
Rachel
Dwight Bryant recieves a call from his 8 year old son Cal and when he traveks ti hus home in Shaysville, Virginia Dwight discovers that Cal's mom is missing. Dwight's new wife Deborah Knott travels up to help when Cal also disappears. Meanwhile Dwights team in North Carolina is investigating the shooting of J.D. Rouse who was hot while driving. A suspensful read that kept me going wanting to know what had happened to Cal.
Lela
Another series crime mystery, this book explores, Deborah Knott's new husband's past, bringing his character into focus. After suspecting various characters throughout the book, I didn't expect the end even though I had my suspicions earlier in the book. I usually don't try to figure out the mystery because then I don't want to finish the book. So I like it when it isn't given away too easily.
Kathy
I have read this series from the beginning and loved watching the relationship develop between Deborah and Dwight. I haven't been crazy about the last couple of stories being written in both voices though. Now that Dwight's son will have to move in with them it opens up a new direction for future stories. Sometimes you can get impatient with the mystery, but I do love deb and dwight.
Teri G
Quick read, not bad, likable main characters, but way too predictable of a read, and way too many leaps of faith. I don't want to give away the solution, so will just give this example: Wouldn't Jonna's house be a crime scene? Then why were Dwight and Deborah sleeping there? This is the first book in the series that I've read, but I don't think I'll be hunting down the others.
Bonnie
This is #12 in the Deborah Knott series. A wife beater is found shot to death in his pickup truck. Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant, is hoping to solve the mystery when he gets an urgent phone call from his son. Dwight Bryant soon finds himself looking for his ex-wife (his son's mother) --and ultimately trying to solve a second murder.
Marci
I can't believe I read this entire book. It's a mystery, but I had the entire mystery figured out right from the start. Dull, dull, dull, dull. Like watching paint dry. The characters were dull. The situations - an abducted child, and a separate murder mystery, were somehow dull. Why did I read it? I don't know.
Lesley
This book filled in some gaps in information from my jumping ahead to later books. I do like the voice of the narrator in these Margaret Maron books, as well as the North Carolina setting. I guessed one of the whodunnits earlier than usual, but it was still a good listen in the car.
Barbara
I listened to this on an audiobook as I do most of my mysteries. I love this Deborah Knott series by Margaret Maron. It is not great literature, but I like all of the characters. And, in this one, she even gets in a dig against Ronald Reagan for blocking mental health funding!
Debra
Making a quick trip north to see his son, Dwight, Deborah Knott's new husband, discovers his ex-wife murdered and his son kidnapped. All the loose ends are wrapped up by the book's end, and Cal and his dog Bandit have come to live with Deborah and Dwight--instant family.
Cathie
Great book. I was surprised that this was the 12th book in a series. Wow! I didn't realize it until I was done. It stood on it's own, without question. Intriguing book, with not just one great plot...but two!! I definitely would like to read more of this series.
Julia Hendon
I'm slowly working my way through this excellent series, enjoying every one so far. Deborah is someone I'd like to spend time with and her family and friends are lots of fun too. The mysteries are serious and believable.
  • Dead Man's Bones (China Bayles, #13)
  • Out of the Deep I Cry (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #3)
  • Holy Terror In The Hebrides (Dorothy Martin, #3)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • The PMS Outlaws (Elizabeth MacPherson, #9)
  • Merry, Merry Ghost (Bailey Ruth, #2)
  • Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters Mystery, #4)
  • Suspicion of Guilt (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #2)
  • The Gladstone Bag (Kelling & Bittersohn, #9)
  • Not a Creature was Stirring (Gregor Demarkian, #1)
  • Mallets Aforethought (Home Repair is Homicide, #7)
  • Skull Duggery (Gideon Oliver, #16)
  • I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #3)
  • The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1)
  • Sunshine and Shadow (Benni Harper, #10)
Born and raised in central North Carolina, Margaret Maron lived in Italy before returning to the USA where she and her husband now live. In addition to a collection of short stories she's also the author of 16 mystery novels. Her works have been translated into seven languages her Bootlegger's Daughter, a Washington Post Bestseller won Edgar Anthony, Agatha, and Macavity awards. She is a past pres...more
More about Margaret Maron...
Bootlegger's Daughter (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #1) Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3) Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2) Up Jumps the Devil (Deborah Knott, #4) Hard Row (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #13)