Start by marking “Hart and Boot and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Hart and Boot and Other Stories

Hart and Boot and Other Stories

Hart & Boot & Other Stories collects thirteen stories of love, death and monsters, including new story "Komodo," a tale of lizards, sex magic and dangerous men. The title story, "Hart & Boot," was chosen by Michael Chabon for inclusion in The Best American Short Stories: 2005.

Contents:
Hart & Boot (2004)
Life in Stone (2004)
Cup and Table (2006)
In a Glass Cask
Published January 1st 2007 by Night Shade Books

To ask other readers questions about Hart and Boot and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hart and Boot and Other Stories

Alan
Feb 08, 2009 Alan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: genre-benders
Recommended to Alan by: Multnomah County Library
I do like Tim Pratt's work. His first novel, The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl, was a zany romp, as if Tom Robbins on one of his better days decided to script a graphic novel.

In this collection, Pratt tells tall tales in limpid prose that hits me in all the right spots - surreal stories of the Wild West, Greek myths in modern settings, a lovely little one called "Impossible Dreams" that reminds me of Jack Finney...

Many of these stories - most, even - are humorous, or have their humorous eleme
Malapata
Dec 25, 2015 Malapata rated it really liked it
Shelves: relato
Con los años uno se va volviendo cada vez más descreído, de ahí esta adoración por la facilidad que tiene Tim Pratt para llenar sus relatos de magia de una forma tan engañosamente sencilla, tan natural. Todo esto aderezado con un puñado de personajes fascinantes (desde la bandida Hart que pone su nombre a la colección hasta la harpía con la resulta tan fácil y a la vez complicado vivir, pasando por entrañables monstruos construidos a partir de la maldad).

La pega es, como en cualquier colección,
Joyce
Sep 15, 2012 Joyce added it
Pratt's forte is imagining ordinary people -- most of them kind of life's losers, or at best geeky types just scraping by physically and emotionally -- who are touched by encounters with supernatural forces, specifically the minor Greek deities.

My favorite of these stories is probably the least typical, "Dream Engine". Instead of some Burning Man type meeting a mythological creature, Pratt does some fairly serious world-building plus he introduces a kind of Holmes and Watson pair... except Watso
Jaime
Feb 15, 2014 Jaime rated it it was amazing
Soberbia recopilación de low fantasy. 14 relatos de fantasía, el único mediocre es el titular "Hart & boot", principalmente porque no me gustan las historias de vaqueros.

Llega a sus puntos más altos con Cup and table, Romanticore, living with the harpy, bottom feeding e immposible dreams.

Soberbios relatos, me ponen una sonrisa en el rostro y alegría en mi corazón.
Haley
Oct 26, 2007 Haley rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
So I picked this one up b/c I loved the title story (collected in the 2005? 06? Best American Short Stories). While that story is still high on my list of favorites, the rest of this collection fell flat for me. Nearly every story dealt with the same themes and none really managed to pull them off in a fully satisfying way. Some good stuff in each, but overall read like the frist or second draft in a genre writers' workshop.
Marc J. Miarnau
Aug 25, 2014 Marc J. Miarnau rated it it was amazing
Me suele costar darle 5 estrellas a un libro, y mucho más a un libro de relatos.

Como es habitual, no todos me han gustado al mismo nivel, pero ninguno bajaría de las 3 estrellas. Los relatos que han hecho que me decida por esta nota excepcional son:

-Life in Stone
-Cup & Table
-Komodo
-Bottom Feeding
-Impossible Dreams
-Dream Engine

6 de los 13 relatos me han parecido excepcionalmente buenos, cosa que no suele pasarme con las antologías, de las que me suele gustar MUCHO un relato o dos.

Mis primera
Lawrence Kapture
Feb 26, 2011 Lawrence Kapture rated it it was amazing
Tim Pratt, is... I think the technical term is hot shit. The short stories in this collection are written in a vein that I especially like, which is called, variously, the New Weird, Cross-Genre, or Urban Fantasy. This can mean a lot of things. The stories are all set in modern eras. The furthest from modern that he gets is the old west, which is still a long way from knights in shining armor and bards and unicorns. Which are good in their own place, but I've always liked this kind of thing bett ...more
Shanna Germain
Nov 03, 2012 Shanna Germain rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nanolomo-books
Tim Pratt is perhaps best known for his Marla Mason novels and for good reason -- they're fun, rollicking reads with a smart, complicated protagonist that you can really root for. But for readers who aren't familiar with his shorter work (or with Pratt at all), Hart & Boot & Other Stories is a wonderful place to begin.

This collection, showcasing much of Pratt's earlier published work, includes 13 stories that blend the flavors of fantasy, mythology, science fiction, westerns, fairy tales
Mike
Dec 26, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
A while back I read one of the stories in this collection ("Impossible Dreams"), loved it, and jumped at the chance to read more of Pratt's short fiction.

"Hart & Boot & Other Stories" has an impressive thirteen stories, most with some extraordinary elements, ranging from supernatural to mythological to science fiction and most things in between. There are touches of humor and tranquility, but a lot of the stories also get darker and explore violence and sexuality, sometimes together. By
Mortalform
Pratt's writing is stunning, original and addictive. For fans of quality and those who appreciate a fantastic imagination... you're welcome.

"Perhaps moss enjoys the sensation of falling rain, or the warmth of sunlight but that's not meaning. It's just pleasure."

noctiluscent- shining at night; often thin, high clouds p30

"I mean, you're made of evil."
"You're mostly made of carbon atoms," Carlsbad said. "But you don't spend all of your time thinking about forming long-chain molecules do you? There
Tim Hicks
Nov 08, 2011 Tim Hicks rated it liked it
Worth reading but not great. This goes well into the weird in several cases, but does it in a Gaimanesque way that draws you into the authpr's utter confidence that all this is no big deal and perfectly natural in HIS world. The weirdness gives Pratt room to explore some ideas, and you get to feel amused, shocked, etc. with a few "well, sure, of course it would have had to end that way, wouldn't it?"

If you've read his "Rangergirl" , well, you'll probably like both books or neither.
Tena
Mar 13, 2012 Tena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I had heard many of these stories on various podcasts (Podcastle, for sure) and I still LOVE them. I didn't remember that a lot of them were written by Tim Pratt, but I am glad I know that now. Pratt has a gift that I admit I envy, and I aspire to. His short stories are a microcosm unto themselves, transporting the reader for a brief time into a different world that may be only slightly different than our own, or it may be an absurd world. A wonderful collection!
Rebecca Hodgkins
Sep 12, 2014 Rebecca Hodgkins rated it really liked it
Splendid short stories starting with 'Hart and Boot'. I love a good Weird Western and this story delivered.
Dave Thompson
Jan 07, 2011 Dave Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pratt's simply one of my favorite short story authors. He creates characters that feel heartfelt, complicated, and flawed and spins wonderful stories around them. He makes it look easy.

"Cup and Table" is easily one of my favorite short stories, but there's so many other good ones in this collection.
Jon
Jan 31, 2012 Jon rated it really liked it
Tim is an excellent short story writer. He's moved into novels in the last few years, and you can't blame him for that, not at all, but I have a fondness for the shorter work. I blame my short attention span (it's a wonder I can manage to write any reviews). This is a good collection of good stories.
Juliana Rew
Apr 13, 2015 Juliana Rew rated it really liked it
A great collection of stories, including the Hugo-winning "Impossible Dreams," where Pratt declares his true love for the movies. Compares favorably to another wonderful novel about movies, Theodore Roszak's 1991 thriller, "Flicker."
Natalie
Feb 02, 2010 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Hands down, my favorite author. His incorporation of gods in his stories won me over from the beginning. His worlds are full of wonder, terror, awe and magick, that we can relate to.
Lyn
Nov 06, 2008 Lyn rated it really liked it
I've been looking forward to this book on the basis of several reviews. First story of the collection was quite good...
...and the rest of it was strong.

Good stuff.
Kris
Dec 26, 2009 Kris rated it it was amazing
Loved this. I'm a sucker for modern adaptations of mythology, and this short story collection has a lot of that (drawing on several different mythologies).
Patrick
Dec 27, 2011 Patrick added it
Shelves: books-i-own, sci-fi
A collection of up and coming sci-fi/fantasy author Tim Pratt's latest short stories, including his Hugo award winning "Impossible Dreams".
Joseph Lerner
Sep 09, 2013 Joseph Lerner rated it really liked it
I love these stories, a mix of weird west and dark urban fantasy. Tim Pratt reminds me a lot of Neil Gaiman.
Bwiz
Oct 06, 2007 Bwiz rated it really liked it
the good stories were great and the great stories were a real mind fuck
Jobber
Jobber added it
Sep 16, 2016
Mathangi
Mathangi marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Travis
Travis rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Rob Steinberger
Rob Steinberger marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016