Start by marking “And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady, #6)” as Want to Read:
And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady, #6)

And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady #6)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  403 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
When nerdy cruciverbalist Harvey Beerbaum throws a birthday bash for Cora Felton at the Bakerhaven Library, it's no surprise that the centerpiece, a huge cake decorated like a crossword puzzle, is a complete bust--until a corpse thrown from the second floor stacks hits it dead center and fills in 14 down. Cora may hate birthdays almost as much as she hates crossword puzzle ...more
Published August 30th 2005 by Bantam (first published August 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about And a Puzzle to Die On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And a Puzzle to Die On

Elizabeth
Mar 22, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Read this for my mystery book club. It was mildly amusing, but I wouldn't deliberately seek out another title in this series. I learned a new word: cruciverbalist. That is someone who makes crossword puzzles.
Mark Baker
Mar 19, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2008
Puzzle Lady Cora Felton is hiding from her birthday by digging into a 20 year old murder. Why is someone interested in the case now? Is the real killer behind bars? The plot contains plenty of twists, but I felt the ending was overly convoluted. There was plenty of word play, which is why I read the series, so I loved that. Those who read for the cross word puzzles might be disappointed to learn they are unrelated to the mail plot. Personally, that didn't bother me.

Read my full review at Carstai
Megan
Feb 06, 2009 Megan rated it it was ok
Recommended to Megan by: Mom
My mother gave me this book recently for no particular reason, and I promise you I would never have read it otherwise.

There's not much to say about it. It's a mystery, in a series where the gimmick is that an elderly lady is famous in her small town for being "The Puzzle Lady" - a successful crossword constructor. But the real constructor is the Puzzle Lady's niece, and the elderly lady is just a young-acting grandma with a sharp mind and a smart mouth and a penchant for solving crimes.

The book
Rachel
May 22, 2016 Rachel rated it it was ok
Normally detective characters are (sometimes) pushy and determinedly track down clues with ways that may or may not be the most legal. But is there anyone's house this lady didn't break into?
I found the main character, Cora, to be a bit frustrating. She kept going about her own way doing what she wanted no matter what anyone else said (even her lawyer).
Sure finally at the end things maybe sorta fell into place but this wasn't my favorite story for sure.
Raymond Rockwell
Mar 15, 2016 Raymond Rockwell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry: Love crosswords but can't abide smart
alecks...or alices. This is "Murder She Wrote" with a gimmick. I quit on it because
the main character is so predictably obnoxious. (Blurb calls it 'frothy', so I'm
probably a curmudgeon.)
Shannon
Feb 08, 2015 Shannon added it
Shelves: mystery
Didn't like the end because I didn't think we had enough info to actually determine who the killer really was. However, I liked the Puzzle Lady's typical banter.
Diane Heath
Apr 15, 2014 Diane Heath rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This time Cora has a birthday coming up. Harvey plans a surprise party. Becky and Sherry come up with a special present which leads to 2 murders, breaking and entering, and accusations of dog napping.
Dogsandbooks
Jun 21, 2016 Dogsandbooks rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
Reliable frothy fun with a good amount of snark. Plus puzzles! DPL e book.
Harry Addington
Sep 23, 2015 Harry Addington rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable series. This one was not as light as the others ones I have read.
Ron Judenberg
Feb 29, 2016 Ron Judenberg rated it it was amazing
read
Sj Okelly
Aug 10, 2015 Sj Okelly rated it it was ok
ho hum
Susan
Dec 24, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Admirable entry in Hall's series featuring a feisty elder who is having a birthday she doesn't care to recognize even though she receives crossword puzzles from famous puzzle writers giving her clues to solve the latest mystery. Fun read.
Claire
Jan 20, 2014 Claire rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Crazy, convoluted storyline~~~~
Bettynz
Oct 25, 2008 Bettynz rated it liked it
Yeah. Quirky. Not a bad story, but the gimmick of crosswords all the way through not really my cup of tea. I particularly liked the feisty and almost-coarse main character. Nice touch!
Jan 20, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Another fun read about the antics of Cora Felton! I love Cora Felton - she is a great (and surprisingly believable) character. She reminds me of my great-grandmother.
Ginger
Apr 13, 2013 Ginger added it
I have read several of Parnell Halls Puzzle Lady Mystery & love them. I am sure that this book will be just as funny, whitty, & enchanting as the others.
Sheri
Jan 11, 2009 Sheri added it
Cute who-done-it using crossword puzzles. It is a series, but you don't necessarily need to read them in order.
Sonia
Jan 05, 2012 Sonia rated it it was ok
Too much rambling for me, but I thought the puzzles were fun.
Brenda Sharp
Jul 08, 2016 Brenda Sharp rated it it was amazing
excellent read...Cora was charming and funny as ever
Lori Burk
Lori Burk marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Sallie Kudamik
Sallie Kudamik rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Rhonda Pickens
Rhonda Pickens marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Alisha
Alisha rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
June Knobbe
June Knobbe rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Amy Friedman
Amy Friedman rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Margaret Thomas
Margaret Thomas rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Candy
Candy rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Sarah added it
Aug 05, 2016
Noeleen Bowers
Noeleen Bowers marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Lauren Michele
Lauren Michele marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
  • Death by Sudoku
  • Death of the Party (Death on Demand, #16)
  • Someday the Rabbi Will Leave
  • The House of Seven Mabels (Jane Jeffry, #13)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • Death On The Diagonal (Crossword Mysteries, #12)
  • Cut to the Quick (Nan Vining Mysteries, #2)
  • The Bishop and the Three Kings (Blackie Ryan, #10)

Puzzle Lady (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • A Clue for the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady, #1)
  • Last Puzzle and Testament (Puzzle Lady, #2)
  • Puzzled to Death (Puzzle Lady, #3)
  • A Puzzle in a Pear Tree (Puzzle Lady, #4)
  • With This Puzzle, I Thee Kill (Puzzle Lady, #5)
  • Stalking the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady, #7)
  • You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled (Puzzle Lady, #8)
  • The Sudoku Puzzle Murders (Puzzle Lady, #9)
  • Dead Man's Puzzle (Puzzle Lady, #10)
  • The Puzzle Lady vs. The Sudoku Lady (Puzzle Lady, #11)