Start by marking “And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady, #6)” as Want to Read:
And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady, #6)

And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady #6)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  294 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When nerdy cruciverbalist Harvey Beerbaum throws a birthday bash for Cora Felton at the Bakerhaven Library, it's no surprise that the centerpiece, a huge cake decorated like a crossword puzzle, is a complete bust--until a corpse thrown from the second floor stacks hits it dead center and fills in 14 down. Cora may hate birthdays almost as much as she hates crossword puzzle...more
Published August 30th 2005 by Bantam (first published August 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about And a Puzzle to Die On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And a Puzzle to Die On

Elizabeth
Read this for my mystery book club. It was mildly amusing, but I wouldn't deliberately seek out another title in this series. I learned a new word: cruciverbalist. That is someone who makes crossword puzzles.
Mark Baker
Puzzle Lady Cora Felton is hiding from her birthday by digging into a 20 year old murder. Why is someone interested in the case now? Is the real killer behind bars? The plot contains plenty of twists, but I felt the ending was overly convoluted. There was plenty of word play, which is why I read the series, so I loved that. Those who read for the cross word puzzles might be disappointed to learn they are unrelated to the mail plot. Personally, that didn't bother me.

Read my full review at Carstai...more
Megan
Feb 06, 2009 Megan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Megan by: Mom
My mother gave me this book recently for no particular reason, and I promise you I would never have read it otherwise.

There's not much to say about it. It's a mystery, in a series where the gimmick is that an elderly lady is famous in her small town for being "The Puzzle Lady" - a successful crossword constructor. But the real constructor is the Puzzle Lady's niece, and the elderly lady is just a young-acting grandma with a sharp mind and a smart mouth and a penchant for solving crimes.

The book...more
Diane Heath
This time Cora has a birthday coming up. Harvey plans a surprise party. Becky and Sherry come up with a special present which leads to 2 murders, breaking and entering, and accusations of dog napping.
Claire
Jan 20, 2014 Claire rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Crazy, convoluted storyline~~~~
Bettynz
Yeah. Quirky. Not a bad story, but the gimmick of crosswords all the way through not really my cup of tea. I particularly liked the feisty and almost-coarse main character. Nice touch!
Another fun read about the antics of Cora Felton! I love Cora Felton - she is a great (and surprisingly believable) character. She reminds me of my great-grandmother.
Ginger
I have read several of Parnell Halls Puzzle Lady Mystery & love them. I am sure that this book will be just as funny, whitty, & enchanting as the others.
Sheri
Jan 11, 2009 Sheri added it
Cute who-done-it using crossword puzzles. It is a series, but you don't necessarily need to read them in order.
Sonia
Too much rambling for me, but I thought the puzzles were fun.
Ig-88
Ig-88 is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Ann Trotter
Ann Trotter marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Marianna Hampton
Marianna Hampton marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
ChrisGA
ChrisGA marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Allison Rasa
Allison Rasa marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Narmin
Narmin marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Just Tolegranny
Just Tolegranny marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
  • Resort to Murder (Henrie O, #6)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry, #9)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Death by Sudoku
  • Someday the Rabbi Will Leave
A Clue for the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady, #1) Last Puzzle and Testament (Puzzle Lady, #2) Puzzled to Death (Puzzle Lady, #3) A Puzzle in a Pear Tree (Puzzle Lady, #4) With This Puzzle, I Thee Kill (Puzzle Lady, #5)