Start by marking “Sugarcane Academy: How a New Orleans Teacher and His Storm-Struck Students Created a School to Remember” as Want to Read:

Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, taking lives and livelihoods and displacing thousands. Because the hurricane struck at the beginning of the school year, the city’s children were among those most affected. Michael Tisserand, former editor of the alternative cultural newspaper Gambit Weekly, evacuated with his family to New Iberia, Louisiana. Then, rather than wait ...more
Published July 2nd 2007 by Mariner Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sugarcane Academy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugarcane Academy

When Hurricane Katrina, and soon after, Hurricane Rita, forced the population of New Orleans from their homes children found themselves with no school to attend. The author, who was a journalist in New Orleans, and his family temporarily relocated to a friend's home in New Iberia, LA. There he contacted a teacher that his children had loved, Paul Reynaud, and proposed that he come to New Iberia and start a one-room schoolhouse for the needy students. He readily agreed and thus began the Sugarcan ...more
Dec 06, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Michael is a friend of mine and many of the "characters" in the book are friends also. I loved this book because it tells the story of their times during the storm. Well written and very personal.
Victor Mata
Michael Tisserand and his wife fled from New Orleans, to avoid Hurricane Katrina with the thought of coming back. Little did they know, the destruction of the vicious storm left his family along with many other families out of their home. Michael came to a conclusion that they needed to create a stable life for their children out of the serious, harmful destruction of hurricane Katrina . They decided that education was most important for their children, they together started a school with an in ...more
Apr 07, 2008 Terry rated it liked it
Well, this book is the perfect example that the personal is political, for better and worse.

Right up front I have to say, at first, this book was really bothering me for several reasons, some minor, some major. First of all, he catalogs what happens to many people in his life, but we never really know who these people are, so frankly, what happens to them isn't as moving as it should be. I'm sure these people were and are important to him, but there are just too many people in this book who app
Rolando Gonzalez
Jul 25, 2010 Rolando Gonzalez rated it it was ok
The Sugarcane Academy
The Sugarcane Academy by Michael Tisserand, tells a story about him and his family and hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, taking lives and homes and destroying thousands. Michael Tisserand, former editor of local newspapers, evacuated with his family to New Iberia, Louisiana. Then, instead of waiting when the schools in New Orleans open a school in the Sugar fields with an old school teacher Paul Reynard. When the school open with about 25 students that know each oth
Jan 06, 2014 Joyce rated it really liked it
Sugarcane Academy, an account of the first four months after Katrina, provides a perspective of the aftermath and it's impact on the children. While the rest of the world looked on, Michael and his family and friends lived the reality of Katrina. The stories told throughout the book gave me a different picture of what was and was not happening. As a teacher, I appreciated how everyone tried to help the children deal with the effects of the storm, especially through the arts! Although confusing a ...more
May 14, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
While I found the book a little choppy with the writing style, I just love anything about New Orleans. This book even covered St Bernard parish, where I helped to rebuild homes in 2009 & 2010, so I have a special attachment to the area and stories from there.
Dec 01, 2011 Alonzo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. I like how the author came to show the uprising events like the starting of sugarcane academy, and how they went back to new orleans a couple months later, and finding a teacher that admires teaching.
2. i dont have any dislikes about the book i really loved it, it showed me coming from where you're from its a possibility to make it.

favorite quote:Ray is not like any other teacher he had a passion for teaching younger kids, in college people laughed at him for wanting to teach first grade.

Nick Woodall
Feb 05, 2016 Nick Woodall rated it did not like it
I bought the book to read about the Sugar Cane Academy, but he talked so little about it that I felt cheated. Trite and incomplete.
Aug 14, 2012 Brittaney rated it really liked it
This was a touching story about students and teachers from New Orleans that were displaced after Hurricane Katrina. They created a school outside of Lafayette, LA, called Sugarcane Academy, and eventually returning to NOLA (and ran the school out of Loyola Univ.) a few months after Katrina. The spirit of New Orleanians is remarkable.
Melissa Gonzalez
Personal story of a writer and his family who evacuated New Orleans ahead of Hurricane Katrina. With the help of some other parents, Tisserand created a temporary school in New Iberia, LA, for storm evacuees. Not the best book I've read on Katrina and the aftermath, but I enjoyed reading about the places of my childhood.
Becca Stroebel
Aug 21, 2007 Becca Stroebel rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An uplifting story about the reality of Hurricane Katrina as seen through the eyes of children. Much of what I've seen about Katrina overwhelms me and just makes me want to cry, but after this story I felt like there was hope and it made me identify with some of the reasons people might want to stay in New Orleans.
Dec 19, 2013 Raquelle rated it really liked it
The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, and how many adults came together to make the most out of nothing, to do what was necessary for students, for their education, and to support children, families, and each other in the most trying of times.
Heartfelt and provides a sense of hope.
Jul 26, 2008 Jamie rated it really liked it
A very uplifting story. A good example of positive things that can happen when people come together. My one complaint is that the title is a bit misleading; the story was told more from the parent's pov. I wish there would have been a little bit more of the kid's voices coming through.
Jul 31, 2007 Timothy rated it it was amazing
A very moving book, without being maudlin or sappy. The author writes really well and engages with the people he interviews very effectively. A great little book!
Jun 13, 2007 Carey rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
A moving, and ultimately hopeful, personal account of life after Hurricane Katrina.
Feb 20, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Great book. Such an interesting perspective from post-hurricane Katrina
Aug 06, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
Good for any educator to read.
Erika added it
Oct 07, 2016
Madeline marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Payton Boswell
Payton Boswell marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Sarah Gray
Sarah Gray marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Rose rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Kathy added it
Jun 02, 2016
Linda Finley
Linda Finley rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Nancy rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Maree Butler
Maree Butler rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2016
Ronald Wilcox
Ronald Wilcox marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Susan Haley
Susan Haley marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016